JT Mass: Post show rebound and off-season

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah pulling a big deadlift can be a triumphant feeling no doubt, but at the end of the day if you can’t cut it or something goes awry, you just drop the bar.

Squatting, I definitely believe the satisfaction comes from overcoming the innate fear of willingly shouldering a tremendous weight for yourself, then making the commitment to own that weight until completion. You must make the lift, or you will be crushed down (hopefully to safety pins or spotters!), defeated. If you fail, there will be a true sense of powerlessness.

Based on the fact all the other joints haven’t been acting dry or having any aches, that’s the real indicator the stack is sufficiently wet IMO. Your test:DHT derivative is 2:1, you have Mk677+CJC raising IGF1, no AI, so if things don’t feel dry or bad then they shouldn’t be.
Oh trust me.. Things are pretty wet here almost every day.. lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed on the squatting, getting crushed under the bar is a true sense of powerlessness and fighting through a sticking point successfully is that much more rewarding because of it. That being said I still like deadlifts better, but that is because like you said I can give all out effort and if it is a nogo just put it down or drop it now minimal risk.
[/B]
I used to feel that way, but I’ve been hurt so many times deadlifting (torn QLs, pulled hamstrings, disc herniations, SI joint issues, now this bicep) I have as much or more trepidation

Turns out, you use a LOT of the body to deadlift, so there’s a lot that can go wrong. I’ve even hurt my knee deadlifting sumo!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to feel that way, but I’ve been hurt so many times deadlifting (torn QLs, pulled hamstrings, disc herniations, SI joint issues, now this bicep) I have as much or more trepidation

Turns out, you use a LOT of the body to deadlift, so there’s a lot that can go wrong. I’ve even hurt my knee deadlifting sumo!
Wait... how did you hurt your knee on a sumo?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wait... how did you hurt your knee on a sumo?
Something minor just seemed to tear a little. It was the week after testing my conventional max and I should have deloaded, but instead I worked up to a tough set of 5 thinking going to my weaker stance would keep it light enough. Became really swollen, couldn’t walk on it much or do any stairs, didn’t train with it for a couple weeks. After 3 days I was able to wrap it with an ace bandage to limp through the grocery store. Started some primo & BPC157, rested it, it healed up so I never saw an ortho 🤷‍♂️

I have heard of good sumo pullers destroying their knees on 800+lb pulls. It puts a lot more pressure on the knee than conventional.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Something minor just seemed to tear a little. It was the week after testing my conventional max and I should have deloaded, but instead I worked up to a tough set of 5 thinking going to my weaker stance would keep it light enough. Became really swollen, couldn’t walk on it much or do any stairs, didn’t train with it for a couple weeks. After 3 days I was able to wrap it with an ace bandage to limp through the grocery store. Started some primo & BPC157, rested it, it healed up so I never saw an ortho 🤷‍♂️

I have heard of good sumo pullers destroying their knees on 800+lb pulls. It puts a lot more pressure on the knee than conventional.
I was going to say I can definitely see where Sumo could mess up the knee. I have had some minor tweaking there but luckily have never done anymore more than a minor lower back tweak deadlifting. I have felt strain on my knee and had my knee get a little sore after pushing it on Sumo though.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Today was Pull (most of the work is done with slow eccentric)

Increased my calories from 2900 to 3200 and we are moving on BW @ 82.0kgs today.

Chest Supported T-bar row: 65kgs rest pause set 21reps

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 55kgs- 15, 14, 12

Unilateral Cable seated row: 55kgs- 12, 15, 15

Stiffleg deadlift: 110kgs- 12, 12, 12

Lying Leg Curl: 60kgs- 12, 10

Cable Bicep curl: 40kgs- 12, 12

Facing away cable curls: 10kgs- 12, 12

Kneeling preacher curl: 25kgs- 13, 13

Overall good session and great pump.

B49E181A-A6CE-4D85-A0C3-6DE848D1DDBC.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know you mentioned small arms earlier, but your arms definitely don't look small in this set of pictures.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Arms are looking BIG !

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I have hurt myself deadlifting more then all other exercises combined. Deadlift is my seccond favorite exercise and I've gotten to the point where I can only train it for about 4-5 weeks before something goes wrong.

I've actually been looking for a 4 week deadlift peaking program.i know it's short but my thinking is I train it hard for 4 weeks, go for a pr and take 4 weeks off and repeat. Hoping I can avoid injury that way.

Other option is to only deadlift 2x month and use the squat and trap bar more but it's not going to give me that deadlift satisfaction

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have hurt myself deadlifting more then all other exercises combined. Deadlift is my seccond favorite exercise and I've gotten to the point where I can only train it for about 4-5 weeks before something goes wrong.

I've actually been looking for a 4 week deadlift peaking program.i know it's short but my thinking is I train it hard for 4 weeks, go for a pr and take 4 weeks off and repeat. Hoping I can avoid injury that way.

Other option is to only deadlift 2x month and use the squat and trap bar more but it's not going to give me that deadlift satisfaction
The second plan is actually a remarkably common option for more advanced deadlifters.

The first option, you could probably just run some kind of linear progression, and every time you run the wave you use a bit more weight for the corresponding weeks. It’s not that sexy, you shouldn’t work up to a 1RM, but you will build your deadlift strength. And the weeks in between waves, you will want to do a lot of volume on milder core, hamstring and back work to help maintain the foundation.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Probably a little off topic, but hopefully not too far: Hyde, you's mentioned in the past some back warm-ups and movements you do to prevent/recover-from injuries (if I remember correctly).

Forgive my laziness in not searching it out properly, I've had to sideline my deadlifts here and there for my lower back to recover (usually from sports injuries rather than from lifting injuries).

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably a little off topic, but hopefully not too far: Hyde, you's mentioned in the past some back warm-ups and movements you do to prevent/recover-from injuries (if I remember correctly).

Forgive my laziness in not searching it out properly, I've had to sideline my deadlifts here and there for my lower back to recover (usually from sports injuries rather than from lifting injuries).
I am interested in this one too..

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I am interested in this one too..
The McGill Big 3 - Bird Dogs, Side Planks, & Curl-Ups.

Watch this entire video for a complete breakdown of execution. These movements warm up & activate the core, as well as mobilize my hips & shoulder girdle. The devil is absolutely in the details; if you do them shitty they won’t work. I hate doing these every single time, because I am almost shaking, getting out of breath, it’s uncomfortable - this is how they prepare you to handle big weights safer. I don’t do the curl-up unless I am directly rehabbing things, because it’s too mild and unnecessary for me when healthy. I would rather get additional ab work from hanging leg raises or standing cable crunches, or the bracing I do on GHR, Reverse Hypers, or Back Extensions before squatting or pulling. A few bird dogs and side planks fire everything up powerfully.

Also, always break a sweat/generate some body heat before you start these. For me this is as simple as a quick 5-6 minute walk, something so I’m not bone cold.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My current warm up has bird dog, Superman, hip flexor and ham stretch. looks like a lunge, but, knees is way forward to get that hip stretch and then pull back to get my hamstring stretch, Prayer squats, chest to knee stretch, child’s pose and a couple others which I just don’t know the name of those..

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My current warm up has bird dog, Superman, hip flexor and ham stretch. looks like a lunge, but, knees is way forward to get that hip stretch and then pull back to get my hamstring stretch, Prayer squats, chest to knee stretch, child’s pose and a couple others which I just don’t know the name of those..
I also do a lunge position stretch in between my bird dogs and side planks while I catch my breath. Makes the time more efficient and ensures I catch it if hips are still tight for any reason.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry for the no-show since a week. Work has been real crazy.. 10-12hrs of work. Getting a breather this week.

Update on health
BW at 84.5kgs today. It's been 4 weeks since my last blood check I believe. Will give it another 2 weeks and get my bloods done to see where my values are. Knee still hurts. It's been 2 weeks now since I have had a leg workout. Going to start some rehab because I believe it's my limited right leg ankle mobility that's causing the issue.

Update on Competition
After discussing with @Hyde, I decided not to compete this year. I need a longer off-season to grow better. I have put some some decent size this time. But, need time. So, extending my off-season by another 14 months or so with some cuts in between or even get closer to stage condition to make sure we keep things tight.

Update on Gear

Adding 300mg EQ along with the 400mg test and 200mg Mast. Plan is to later add NPP or bump up the test a bit more to keep Estrogen at a good place and not let it crash.

Today's workout: Pull

I couldn't do hamstrings because I am sore from last Friday's pull session. Still trying to find ways to optimize training .

Deadlift: 3 feeder sets (70kgs-10, 110kgs- 7, 150kgs- 5) and 1 working set 190kgs- 7
Seated Row (Tempo- 1-2-2-0): 2 feeder sets and 3 working sets 65kgs- 15, 14, 13
Prone Incline DB row (Pronated grip) (Tempo- 1-2-2-1): 30kgs- 10, 10, 10
Close Grip Pull Down: 55kgs- 15, 14, 12

DB Bicep Curl: 17.5kgs- 10, 10
Cable Curls: 45kgs- 12, 12, 11
Rope Hammer Curls: 50kgs- 12, 11, 11

Last time 190kgs for 5 was quite a struggle. But this time, I believe my form was much better and lift was easier. Definitely progressing well and hoping to see some really good changes in 5-6 months.

Deadlift 190kgs

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Those deadlifts were really beautiful. I don’t know if you were just weak on them before because you didn’t train them or what, but that is some textbook form for the work you’re doing now. Great pulling

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those deadlifts were really beautiful. I don’t know if you were just weak on them before because you didn’t train them or what, but that is some textbook form for the work you’re doing now. Great pulling
Thank you so much Hyde. I mean, this coming from you means a lot to me.

My form was terrible in the past. I always ended up getting lower back pain. So, last year I stopped deadlift and BB squats. But this year, I learnt how to properly execute both. The warm ups and the stretches has helped me really well.

I followed every cue; pushing from my feet and keeping core braced and spine as neutral. It’s really felt great looking at the lift.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I really enjoy seeing your progress !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am on my 3rd week and this knee pain isn't going anywhere. Started working on getting my right foot ankle mobility with band work. This is my assumption, because, I can feel a click on my ankle on Dorsifelxion. Should I consult a sports physio? Has anyone experienced any knee pain in the past and how did you treat it?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am on my 3rd week and this knee pain isn't going anywhere. Started working on getting my right foot ankle mobility with band work. This is my assumption, because, I can feel a click on my ankle on Dorsifelxion. Should I consult a sports physio? Has anyone experienced any knee pain in the past and how did you treat it?
At 3 weeks, if you have been laying off training it directly, you might want to see the sports physio. Just a simple assessment might help you get a better idea of what could be going on and provide clarity on how to better progress.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
At 3 weeks, if you have been laying off training it directly, you might want to see the sports physio. Just a simple assessment might help you get a better idea of what could be going on and provide clarity on how to better progress.
Will do.. Honestly most of the doctors here treat the symptom and don't really understand the root cause of the issue. I'll give it try anyway.. Been to sports physios a few times and every time it failed.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Will do.. Honestly most of the doctors here treat the symptom and don't really understand the root cause of the issue. I'll give it try anyway.. Been to sports physios a few times and every time it failed.
Just make sure they’re aware you are chasing a diagnosis primarily. Anyone can take some pain meds and stay off of it. I’m not saying it’s always apparent what is wrong, but hopefully they can do some testing and rule out some things, and help isolate pain triggers that may be indicative of something more specific.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just make sure they’re aware you are chasing a diagnosis primarily. Anyone can take some pain meds and stay off of it. I’m not saying it’s always apparent what is wrong, but hopefully they can do some testing and rule out some things, and help isolate pain triggers that may be indicative of something more specific.
Exactly.. That's what I m hoping for as well. I will consult a sports physio next week and share the update.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well. the Physio visit was stupid. But, I think the reason for the knee problem or may be the soft tissue damage is because of my hips and ankle. My right hip gets tight and achy when I am walking for a bit longer. my left hip has no problems at all. So, I am taking a guess that my right knee was shot because of my hip and my ankle still has the 'click' sound when I flex.

Any recommendations on some stretches or exercises that could improve hip mobility. I watched a few videos and they looked complicated to do with 10 different moves packed into one stretch.

Ordered for BPC-157 and will start in 2 days once I get it in hand.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don’t know much about hips. There are stretches like in the bottom of a lunge position; I always do these for 20-30 seconds per side while I am catching my breath between my bird dogs and side planks on my lower body days. I am already warm from my walk and bird dogs. I try to lean back slightly, squeeze my glute hard on the side that’s getting stretched, and really push my hip into the stretch. Got that from Andy Bolton and Pavel Tsatsouline’s writing.

There is also pigeon pose you can do after lower days when already warmed up to help prevent locking up. That helped my wife a lot.

As far as strengthening, hanging knee/leg raises are usually good options.

There are also dynamic stretches like split squats, groiners, mountain climbers.

Ankles - put a band under your foot/toes of your outstretched leg, hold the other stretched end in your hand, and try to “write” the letters of the alphabet with your toes. When you finish, start back over at letter A but now try to write the characters in reverse of how you normally would. This drill doesn’t take long but always gets the ankle and Achilles mobilized nicely.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks Hyde.. For hips, I'll start incorporating Pigeon pose and hanging leg raises..

For ankle I was doing the banded strengthening exercise.. Just want this to be good and back to working on my legs..

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Take it slow, you will get there!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Take it slow, you will get there!
This is the 4th week without leg training. It's not a good feeling at all to not train legs this long.. Now, entering desperate mode and want this to be fixed ASAP.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is the 4th week without leg training. It's not a good feeling at all to not train legs this long.. Now, entering desperate mode and want this to be fixed ASAP.
And I'm wining about missing one week, I wish there was some way I could help you out.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I completely forgot I have a friend who is a Physio. Consulted him yesterday and he said it's an injury due to excessive stress on my muscles. He looked at my hip and seems to be okay. Prescribed some meds. Going to start using them from today for another week. Still waiting on BPC-157.

I think I was taking my body through extremes with my training. I can now feel that my general recovery is getting affected as well. May be it's time to deload for a week and see if that helps.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I completely forgot I have a friend who is a Physio. Consulted him yesterday and he said it's an injury due to excessive stress on my muscles. He looked at my hip and seems to be okay. Prescribed some meds. Going to start using them from today for another week. Still waiting on BPC-157.

I think I was taking my body through extremes with my training. I can now feel that my general recovery is getting affected as well. May be it's time to deload for a week and see if that helps.
I would like to hear your thoughts on the BPC-157 when you start. Good Luck !

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Today I tried BLR Han Swolo after a really long time. Jesus Christ! First set exercise of chest and the pump was extreme.

IMG_5938.JPG

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You are looking pretty big dude!! I like the looks of that gym !!
The gym is too bright with yellow paint.. but that’s the closest to my place. Machines are pretty good comparatively. That’s the only reason I am here.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The gym is too bright with yellow paint.. but that’s the closest to my place. Machines are pretty good comparatively. That’s the only reason I am here.
I like bright and clean! The equipment looks nice.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Today I tried BLR Han Swolo after a really long time. Jesus Christ! First set exercise of chest and the pump was extreme.

View attachment 221545
That’s a nice side chest pose, but honestly I’m ‘mirin’ that leverage/power squat machine behind you…I haven’t been a member of a gym who has one for years and I miss it. They put one in at a local place right before the pandemic, then it closed and never re-opened.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s a nice side chest pose, but honestly I’m ‘mirin’ that leverage/power squat machine behind you…I haven’t been a member of a gym who has one for years and I miss it. They put one in at a local place right before the pandemic, then it closed and never re-opened.
Oh. That’s a really nice equipment. I usually do the Hack Squat variation on it. If I do power squat on it, I need a lot of weight to feel my quads. When I am training alone, loading and unloading weight is a biaatch.. lose so much energy and time.

This is one set of my hack squat I miss leg day

https://youtu.be/O38T5iFIvrM

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah power squat will be hips/hams dominant for sure.

Well, I see how you might have aggravated something - this is very hard training!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah power squat will be hips/hams dominant for sure.

Well, I see how you might have aggravated something - this is very hard training!
I just get a kick out of this. But, I know that I have to tone down a bit. Was planning to do a de-load this coming week. Keep the load same, but reduce sets/reps . Or should I reduce load and keep sets/reps the same?

I think my body needs a bit of rest.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hips: I like to wrap a thick band around my knees and through the back of my legs, then sit in a deep squat and move them around. It helps loosen them and doesn’t take long.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh. That’s a really nice equipment. I usually do the Hack Squat variation on it. If I do power squat on it, I need a lot of weight to feel my quads. When I am training alone, loading and unloading weight is a biaatch.. lose so much energy and time.

This is one set of my hack squat I miss leg day

My knee's hurt just watching that video !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My knee's hurt just watching that video !!
I hear you.. I know, I go way beyond I should, most of the time. I feel unless I am dying, it doesn't count as a set. Which probably will hurt me real bad in the long run. Going to tone down for sure.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just get a kick out of this. But, I know that I have to tone down a bit. Was planning to do a de-load this coming week. Keep the load same, but reduce sets/reps . Or should I reduce load and keep sets/reps the same?

I think my body needs a bit of rest.
I like to pull back load by at least 10%, AND cut volume. Volume for isolations can be high, but that should be pump work, not with a load that will make you grow.

The point of a deload week is shed fatigue to enable continued progression in weeks to come - you must do considerably less than usual if you wish to successfully wash fatigue off. It’s not the time to do more of something else; it should be significantly less of everything.

The one thing that is important is not to lollygag - pace of training should be as fast or slightly faster than normal, to help preserve conditioning. Don’t hang out and chat because you find the routine boring and end up being there as long as a normal session. Get in, get out, focus on recovery.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like to pull back load by at least 10%, AND cut volume. Volume for isolations can be high, but that should be pump work, not with a load that will make you grow.

The point of a deload week is shed fatigue to enable continued progression in weeks to come - you must do considerably less than usual if you wish to successfully wash fatigue off. It’s not the time to do more of something else; it should be significantly less of everything.

The one thing that is important is not to lollygag - pace of training should be as fast or slightly faster than normal, to help preserve conditioning. Don’t hang out and chat because you find the routine boring and end up being there as long as a normal session. Get in, get out, focus on recovery.
Thanks Hyde. I’ll reduce the load and volume on big lifts.

I am not a big chatter in the gym and I go at a time when the gym is empty. So, it’s 90% time just me and weights.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks Hyde. I’ll reduce the load and volume on big lifts.

I am not a big chatter in the gym and I go at a time when the gym is empty. So, it’s 90% time just me and weights.
Mainly I threw that caveat about taking forever because, for myself and my wife, we both realized deload weeks just suck. I mean we are big believers in them; they help prevent injury but also obviously improve output to come. But having to go into the gym knowing you aren’t going to do anything exciting and no immediate progress will be made, it can feel like doing homework when you would rather not even go, so we drag our feet unnecessarily.