JT Mass: Post show rebound and off-season

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is day 1 after my first competitive season. Did 3 shows in a span on 2 months. First show was Nationals where I didn’t place. Second was my city show where I won Gold and third show was the state championship where I ended up in 5th place.

I did all these shows with a coach and now I have decided to do the post show rebound and off-season myself. Record and analyze every aspect of my training, diet and gear.

I will be studying about structuring this off-season and next contest prep from Dr. Scott Stevenson’s, Be Your Own Bodybuilding Coach and online seminars and information from John Jewett.

For the next two days, I am just going to eat foods I like but in moderation and just feel good overall.

I am going to layout a detailed plan over this week and share with everyone here so that you all can critic and help me make it better.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We got fire.. thank you guys for joining the ride.. I’ll try and share everything about my plan so that it hopefully helps some people strategize their off season as well in future.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m in for this

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Let me know what you think about that book, I've heard it talked about a few times but never seen it myself. I thought about picking it up for down the road. Once I get a couple fights out the way I'm gonna focus on a bodybuilder style off season. I figure even tho I'm not doing a contest prep I'm gonna be pretty damn lean once I make my weight class and after holding such a low body weight for a couple months will be a perfect time to throw some gas on the fire

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Let me know what you think about that book, I've heard it talked about a few times but never seen it myself. I thought about picking it up for down the road. Once I get a couple fights out the way I'm gonna focus on a bodybuilder style off season. I figure even tho I'm not doing a contest prep I'm gonna be pretty damn lean once I make my weight class and after holding such a low body weight for a couple months will be a perfect time to throw some gas on the fire
I've heard (I think from some joe Rogan podcast) where some (coach/trainer I think) said that typical bodybuilding weight training actually eventually hinders athletic performance (like fighting)

I think this is the guy who was talking about bench pressing where you mostly only do the concentric part and explode instead of doing controlled reps. I forget the correct name for this.

my favorite practical trainer right now is probably knees over toes guy though. his split squat stretches have helped my atg squat and ankle mobility a lot.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've heard (I think from some joe Rogan podcast) where some (coach/trainer I think) said that typical bodybuilding weight training actually eventually hinders athletic performance (like fighting)

I think this is the guy who was talking about bench pressing where you mostly only do the concentric part and explode instead of doing controlled reps. I forget the correct name for this.

my favorite practical trainer right now is probably knees over toes guy though. his split squat stretches have helped my atg squat and ankle mobility a lot.
Bodybuilding style training is completely counter productive to boxing and MMA, and on the opposite side of the fence, MMA and boxing is counter productive for bodybuilding.

I have a bad habit of conflicting goals lol.

Currently my weight training is basically to maintain strength, and keep me happy because I like lifting. I'm still going for progressive overload but I'm avoiding going to failure 90% of the time. Once I'm about 6 weeks out from the fight I will just do a full body workout 1-2 times a week and drop weight training all together 2 weeks out.

I'm also turning 37 this month, this is kind of a last hoorah and I'm not really going to pick up any new skills or improve my speed at this point in my life. I'm already a hard puncher, got a great chin and middle of the road boxing skills.

The strategy is to have a ton of cardio and muscular endurance. My speed and footwork are very unlikely to improve enough to make a significant difference

With the exception of the deadlift I will not be adding weight to the bar too often, mostly will be trying to work up to lots of 20 rep sets on everything

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Followed your other one although I never commented since I’m bodybuilding show illiterate lol. Excellent job by the way! In for this one too 🤘🤘

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Followed your other one although I never commented since I’m bodybuilding show illiterate lol. Excellent job by the way! In for this one too
Thank you for joining in, dude.

Gave my best considering this was my first year. Let’s see how a real off-season will help. I am really excited to take my body to the next phase.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In for this!

Dr. Scott has some cool stuff. A thinking man’s bodybuilder for sure, and just seems like a genuine guy from the podcasts I’ve heard him on.

Are you paying attention to anyone for the Arnold Ohio this weekend? I’ve been watching Brett Wilkin’s stuff on YouTube lately and I think he’s going to make a big splash. His physique is that gnarly-white-guy look, just intense size relative to his structure, a bit like Dorian had really. Not really “pretty”, just undeniable mass at stage conditioning.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
In for this!

Dr. Scott has some cool stuff. A thinking man’s bodybuilder for sure, and just seems like a genuine guy from the podcasts I’ve heard him on.

Are you paying attention to anyone for the Arnold Ohio this weekend? I’ve been watching Brett Wilkin’s stuff on YouTube lately and I think he’s going to make a big splash. His physique is that gnarly-white-guy look, just intense size relative to his structure, a bit like Dorian had really. Not really “pretty”, just undeniable mass at stage conditioning.
Bret falls into that 0.0001% of freaks. I think he's going to rip out a few people's souls over the next year or 2

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ant whatever the **** Matt Jenson is doing with these guys breaks all the laws of nature on what's possible in a limited time frame.

Like I know it's obvious he only does it with a few guys who have that freak genetics but there's something he's doing that no1 else can do with there guys. Even Ronnie Coleman didn't put muscle on as fast as Matt Jensons top guys do

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Checking In !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In for this!

Oh yes.. Been following Arnold line up and the guys stepping on stage.. Brett is definitely a freak of nature. I follow him on IG. Regan might do pretty good as well. I think after Brandon, it's anyone's game to take that second spot. We have Brett, Regan (he has changed a lot in terms of conditioning since he started with Milos), Samson is definitely a dark horse. If he brings in condition, he could be unbeatable. He has an amazing physique. Steve Cucklo, from the pics, he will do well, but, I think the new guys will dominate this Arnold. It's going to be one hellava fight for that second.

Ant whatever the **** Matt Jenson is doing with these guys breaks all the laws of nature on what's possible in a limited time frame.

Like I know it's obvious he only does it with a few guys who have that freak genetics but there's something he's doing that no1 else can do with there guys. Even Ronnie Coleman didn't put muscle on as fast as Matt Jensons top guys do
Matt Janson is like a freak coach now. Justin Shier, who just turned pro. I was stunned looking at him before and after working with Matt. Matt definitely has some secret sauce in peaking his guys. He has never missed a peak in a long time for all his clients. But, sometimes, you have to wonder, how far is Matt Janson taking these guys too soon. Some could argue that, his protocols could be really dangerous considering the amount of size every client of his puts on.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Oh yes.. Been following Arnold line up and the guys stepping on stage.. Brett is definitely a freak of nature. I follow him on IG. Regan might do pretty good as well. I think after Brandon, it's anyone's game to take that second spot. We have Brett, Regan (he has changed a lot in terms of conditioning since he started with Milos), Samson is definitely a dark horse. If he brings in condition, he could be unbeatable. He has an amazing physique. Steve Cucklo, from the pics, he will do well, but, I think the new guys will dominate this Arnold. It's going to be one hellava fight for that second.

Matt Janson is like a freak coach now. Justin Shier, who just turned pro. I was stunned looking at him before and after working with Matt. Matt definitely has some secret sauce in peaking his guys. He has never missed a peak in a long time for all his clients. But, sometimes, you have to wonder, how far is Matt Janson taking these guys too soon. Some could argue that, his protocols could be really dangerous considering the amount of size every client of his puts on.
Oh, there's definitely something dangerous going on. But I also think of he applied the same offseason plan to a regular joe shmo they wouldn't transform like the select few he does it with. He's got tons of clients but only his top 3-4 seem to get transformed and peaked.

I think he's got a eye for who has "it" and then he's got some secret recipe for how to make it explode. I don't think it's a steroid either, I think think it's large quantities of gh/slin/igf-1 and diet perfection with militants

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I will restart my training and diet from Monday. This will be my re-bound which I plan to do for another 4 weeks or 6 weeks if I can push a bit more.

Worked on my training plan (attached). Please comment and let me know if volume is too high or if I am doing too many sets (whatever that comes to your mind). This is my first time in a re-bound, so, the idea is to push real hard on training and nutrition with very less gear.

Nutrition will be detailed out tomorrow. Training days to have high carbs ( a chunk of it peri workout) and rest days will be low carbs.

Gear:
200mg Test Enanthate/week: split dose
400mg Primo/week: split dose

Blood test:
Will be taken on Monday
Lipids, LFT, RFT (including GFR), CBC, TSH, LH, FSH, Test, E2.

Anything else to be considered?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
@Mathb33

👆

He recently went through little prep and rebound phase, he's probably going to be able to give you better advice then the rest of us.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely want to know liver enzymes & total bilirubin, and if you aren’t occasionally checking fasting blood sugar yourself at home then glucose or ideally HemoglobinA1C will make sure you’re not pre-diabetic. If you haven’t been using GH or Mk677 though, at your bodyfat I’m sure blood sugar is great.

Those will both be on a CMP, as will kidney/eGFR, so not sure how much those overlap with the kidney tests you’ve ordered.

C Reactive Protein can be useful to check overall inflammation.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Definitely want to know liver enzymes & total bilirubin, and if you aren’t occasionally checking fasting blood sugar yourself at home then glucose or ideally HemoglobinA1C will make sure you’re not pre-diabetic. If you haven’t been using GH or Mk677 though, at your bodyfat I’m sure blood sugar is great.

Those will both be on a CMP, as will kidney/eGFR, so not sure how much those overlap with the kidney tests you’ve ordered.

I think c reactive protein is important for all of us using ugl gear. All the sterilization products and certain carrier oils can jack systemic inflammation through the roof. I'm sure spending half the year on orals will have a impact on that too.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

LFT will cover the bilirubin.. I haven’t used GH in about 5 months now. So, I don’t think I am pre- diabetic.

For Kidney, eGFR needs to be separately tested. Here they cover Bun, creatinine and Urea.

C Reactive Protein; yes, I’ll have to include that in the list. Missed it.

I think c reactive protein is important for all of us using ugl gear. All the sterilization products and certain carrier oils can jack systemic inflammation through the roof. I'm sure spending half the year on orals will have a impact on that too.
Half? What about the rest 14 weeks?? Lol.. total 40 weeks

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Any suggestions on training?
I think on Day 2 you should swap the Smith flat pressing for heavy flat db bench, and on Day 6 you should swap the incline machine press for incline bench press.

This builds greater variety into the routine instead of doing the exact same exercises twice/wk, and will force you to use some free weights and ensure your stabilizers are keeping up with any overall growth you’re experiencing. Machines are fine, but free weights have never let anyone down when it comes to building size.

I also think you should consider moving the leg curl to the front of the workout before Deadlifts on Day 1 (after a general warmup of course). This is the way John Meadows, Stan Efferding and many others do to preexhaust & thoroughly activate the hamstrings before heavy deadlifts or squats. Keeps you safer on deadlifts because you’ll have a better mind/muscle connection & will be warmed up better there, & gets them out of the way.

On the leg day with the Power Squat, I would put the feet forward/high and really put the tension into the posterior chain, feeling the weight through your heels - and wear a flat, not heeled, shoe. Focus on lifting progressively bigger weights over the season. This will help build mass in the glutes, hams, hip flexors you need to bring up the most. This is the exercise to really be a power builder/Dante Trudel/die for 5 more lbs on the machine kind of guy. You can focus on quad tension on everything else if you want, like the Legpress after.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
LFT will cover the bilirubin.. I haven’t used GH in about 5 months now. So, I don’t think I am pre- diabetic.

For Kidney, eGFR needs to be separately tested. Here they cover Bun, creatinine and Urea.

C Reactive Protein; yes, I’ll have to include that in the list. Missed it.

Half? What about the rest 14 weeks?? Lol.. total 40 weeks
I know it was 40, I just wasn't trying to draw too much attention the you been on orals for 13 years lol

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think on Day 2 you should swap the Smith flat pressing for heavy flat db bench, and on Day 6 you should swap the incline machine press for incline bench press.

This builds greater variety into the routine instead of doing the exact same exercises twice/wk, and will force you to use some free weights and ensure your stabilizers are keeping up with any overall growth you’re experiencing. Machines are fine, but free weights have never let anyone down when it comes to building size.

I also think you should consider moving the leg curl to the front of the workout before Deadlifts on Day 1 (after a general warmup of course). This is the way John Meadows, Stan Efferding and many others do to preexhaust & thoroughly activate the hamstrings before heavy deadlifts or squats. Keeps you safer on deadlifts because you’ll have a better mind/muscle connection & will be warmed up better there, & gets them out of the way.

On the leg day with the Power Squat, I would put the feet forward/high and really put the tension into the posterior chain, feeling the weight through your heels - and wear a flat, not heeled, shoe. Focus on lifting progressively bigger weights over the season. This will help build mass in the glutes, hams, hip flexors you need to bring up the most. This is the exercise to really be a power builder/Dante Trudel/die for 5 more lbs on the machine kind of guy. You can focus on quad tension on everything else if you want, like the Legpress after.
Thanks Hyde.

The problem is, my gym only has DB till 65lbs. Lol. That’s why I didn’t include it.

I’ll include incline BB press on 2nd chest day.

Pushing leg curl before deadlift is great.. I know John Meadows always does hamstring activation before leg day, that’s why I have them before any quad movement on leg day. But, didn’t know he advocated the same for deadlifts too. Cool.. I’ll make the change..

My power squat movement will be this. I get more quad activation when I do reverse.
IMG_1028.JPG

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post show I have been eating crazy.. anything I can get my hands on, I eat.. gained about 16lbs in 2 days.. I think now it’s time to stop and control.

Yesterday night, I finished an entire 10” casserole of pineapple pudding. Posted on my IG. Lol..

61D5E686-C96B-4824-A0B6-D0EC1457C0C3.jpg

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If I were you I'd go back to about where your diet was around 6 weeks out from your show ( or whenever you had carbs still on the plan) and reverse out from there.

You can't gain 16lbs of fat obviously in 2 days so it's most likely water and glycogen and minimal bodyfat. But if you keep going hard like that, whatch out!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes.. that’s the plan. I have made a rough draft of the nutrition plan. Looking at 2800 calories with Cho: 400 Pro: 200 Fat: 40

Does this look okay?

Cho: oats, rice, fruits. Dextrose intra workout.
Pro: Chicken, fish, eggs, whey
Fat: peanut butter and olive oil

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yes.. that’s the plan. I have made a rough draft of the nutrition plan. Looking at 2800 calories with Cho: 400 Pro: 200 Fat: 40

Does this look okay?

Cho: oats, rice, fruits. Dextrose intra workout.
Pro: Chicken, fish, eggs, whey
Fat: peanut butter and olive oil
This is about where I will be next week but most of my fat will come from beef, eggs and butter and il have lots of veggies.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is about where I will be next week but most of my fat will come from beef, eggs and butter and il have lots of veggies.
Is beef hard to get in India? I don't see it on many meal plans from over there, not that I've seen a ton of meal plans from guys in India LOL. But I have seen a few and I don't recall ever seeing beef on them

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is beef hard to get in India? I don't see it on many meal plans from over there, not that I've seen a ton of meal plans from guys in India LOL. But I have seen a few and I don't recall ever seeing beef on them
I love a good meat. But, I don’t get cuts in India. Don’t want to spend time trimming the fat and fiber off from the meat. Plus, meat quality is substandard. Because we are a ‘Hindu Nation’, the Govt doesn’t let farmers grow cattle for meat. The beef we get here is mostly from the cows which stopped giving milk and are at the end of their life.. lol..

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I love a good meat. But, I don’t get cuts in India. Don’t want to spend time trimming the fat and fiber off from the meat. Plus, meat quality is substandard. Because we are a ‘Hindu Nation’, the Govt doesn’t let farmers grow cattle for meat. The beef we get here is mostly from the cows which stopped giving milk and are at the end of their life.. lol..
Got ya, ya I knew there was some kind of issue with it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Is lamb available & reasonably affordable? Getting that in here or there can be a great source of red meat & some fats if desired.

Yeah dbs up to 65 won’t do much for a big chest! Lol. But definitely get some incline bench in. If a man gets stronger on that, you can bet his show muscles are getting bigger.

I also like to do the power squat reversed like you showed in the pic - BUT I do think you should not make the quads the emphasis. Try to do them like a powerlifter, or a lineman in American football driving forward into the pads with explosive hip drive.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is lamb available & reasonably affordable? Getting that in here or there can be a great source of red meat & some fats if desired.

Yeah dbs up to 65 won’t do much for a big chest! Lol. But definitely get some incline bench in. If a man gets stronger on that, you can bet his show muscles are getting bigger.

I also like to do the power squat reversed like you showed in the pic - BUT I do think you should not make the quads the emphasis. Try to do them like a powerlifter, or a lineman in American football driving forward into the pads with explosive hip drive.
Lamb is 2x expensive than chicken. But, we do get good lamb meat.

So, a bit wide stance power squats with more emphasis on glutes and hammie?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am really enjoying this thread, and you got a few guys really helping you out!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am really enjoying this thread, and you got a few guys really helping you out!
Haha.. thanks Rocket.. and honestly I have got some great advices and inputs from guys here, I am really glad I came back to the forum after a couple years of absence.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is your Instagram handle ?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Justinthoomkuzhy

Ok folks let's give the guy a follow, maybe a share and help his hard work be noticed, maybe we can help propel his to stardom or a deal with a supplement company, who knows ???

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok folks let's give the guy a follow, maybe a share and help his hard work be noticed, maybe we can help propel his to stardom or a deal with a supplement company, who knows ???
Aaaah man.. thanks for being so thoughtful, Rocket..

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Aaaah man.. thanks for being so thoughtful, Rocket..
I believe in you, and I think you have a good future in this sport !!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe in you, and I think you have a good future in this sport !!
I do believe that I can do really well in this sport.. Because with all that was going on in my life, I was able to still keep my head down and work on my prep.

Saying that you believe in me, makes my conviction so much stronger. Wish I could say thank you, in real.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lamb is 2x expensive than chicken. But, we do get good lamb meat.

So, a bit wide stance power squats with more emphasis on glutes and hammie?
Yeah our red meat is always at least 2x what chicken is in the US. But the higher quality nutrition is still worth keeping some in the diet, like a meal per day.

Yes exactly, loading the weight back into the posterior chain is where you want it to target your particular weaknesses. Think about sitting back slightly & doing a leg curl while you force the knees out, then on reverse continue to drive the knees out as you blast through the legs and force the glutes forward to drive hard into the pad.