JT Mass: Post show rebound and off-season

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mainly I threw that caveat about taking forever because, for myself and my wife, we both realized deload weeks just suck. I mean we are big believers in them; they help prevent injury but also obviously improve output to come. But having to go into the gym knowing you aren’t going to do anything exciting and no immediate progress will be made, it can feel like doing homework when you would rather not even go, so we drag our feet unnecessarily.
That’s so true. Thinking about deload kinda makes me lazy actually. I think this is my first deload in probably over a year and half. Even during my last competition my coach asked me to lift heavy, which, now I know, was probably counter productive.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I read years ago

Training should be like an Army Drill, Get In Get Out and hope No One See's You!

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like to pull back load by at least 10%, AND cut volume. Volume for isolations can be high, but that should be pump work, not with a load that will make you grow.

The point of a deload week is shed fatigue to enable continued progression in weeks to come - you must do considerably less than usual if you wish to successfully wash fatigue off. It’s not the time to do more of something else; it should be significantly less of everything.

The one thing that is important is not to lollygag - pace of training should be as fast or slightly faster than normal, to help preserve conditioning. Don’t hang out and chat because you find the routine boring and end up being there as long as a normal session. Get in, get out, focus on recovery.
I second the lower weight, same reps. Getting a small pump makes you feel like you're at least getting a small workout. I hate deloads as well. I just started a new higher volume/intensity routine and need to just pencil in a deload week in 2-3 months. At 41 if I don't, my elbow, knee, and shoulder will start barking at me.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Day 1 of Deload: Pull day

I didn't deadlift. Worked out to get a decent pump. Hated every minute of the workout. 45mins quickie

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Day 1 of Deload: Pull day

I didn't deadlift. Worked out to get a decent pump. Hated every minute of the workout. 45mins quickie
You don't like Quickie's ???

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Man, between you not digging your workout and Smont missing his completely, I feel really bad for you guys.

I musta swiped all of your guys' mojo because my workout was awesome; one of the best I've had in weeks. It was a scorcher here today too, but with my new AC unit in the garage I was able to keep the temperature at a reasonable temp. Enough to sweat good, but not enough to totally drain me.

The deload will be worth it though; stay patient, get strong and always, always, ALWAYS: listen to Hyde! ;)

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man, between you not digging your workout and Smont missing his completely, I feel really bad for you guys.

I musta swiped all of your guys' mojo because my workout was awesome; one of the best I've had in weeks. It was a scorcher here today too, but with my new AC unit in the garage I was able to keep the temperature at a reasonable temp. Enough to sweat good, but not enough to totally drain me.

The deload will be worth it though; stay patient, get strong and always, always, ALWAYS: listen to Hyde! ;)
Hey match. Thanks for rubbing it in.. lol

But, seriously.. yeah. I hope so too. Between my right knee injury, which hopefully will get better in a few days and deload, this week just totally is sucky..

Sold all my gym stuff yesterday which I had bought during the pandemic. Would love to see the garage gym you got going. Have a pic?

Oh. I am always listening to Hyde for sure.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We are all lucky to have someone like Hyde to help guide us. Hyde I always appreciate your help!! Thank you!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

But, seriously.. yeah. I hope so too. Between my right knee injury, which hopefully will get better in a few days and deload, this week just totally is sucky..

Sold all my gym stuff yesterday which I had bought during the pandemic. Would love to see the garage gym you got going. Have a pic?

I feel ya man, I've been deloading different muscle groups off and on for the past couple months due to weird injuries I've been getting from sports, so I know how frustrating that can be, but the thing I have learned is that our bodies are miraculous when you really think about the healing process and all that we are made to be able to recover from (and how fast it actually happens).

I'll snap a couple of photos when I get home and post em. My little gym is nothing compared to what a lot of the guys here have, but I have all the weight that I need to grow and I don't have to travel anywhere or put up with the general public to do it. Plus my wife and kids have all joined me on this fitness journey now (they are out there every morning Mon-Fri doing the little routines I've put together for them to start their day).

Last edited:
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Plus my wife and kids have all joined me on this fitness journey now (they are put there every morning Mon-Fri doing the little routines I've put together for them to start their day).
This is awesome, Enjoy your time with the family!!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

As promised, here's my humble little sanctuary of iron:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hate to hear about the knee issues. You might want to look at the "knees over toes guy" Mark Bell has a whole series of videos with him. I have played with some of the stuff they mention a little to increase ankle mobility, but it is supposed to be pretty amazing for knees. Worth having a look at.

Here is his youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/TheKneesovertoesguy if you want to check on some of his stuff.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hate to hear about the knee issues. You might want to look at the "knees over toes guy" Mark Bell has a whole series of videos with him. I have played with some of the stuff they mention a little to increase ankle mobility, but it is supposed to be pretty amazing for knees. Worth having a look at.

Here is his youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/TheKneesovertoesguy if you want to check on some of his stuff.
Thank you! I will check it out.
I am on meds now since last 5 days after consulting a physio. I still haven’t done anything to work on my knees. Just resting it as suggested by the doc. Going to see on Monday with some body weight squats and such to see.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I saw even Squat university doing the same exercise to increase ankle mobility. I should really do this.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I saw even Squat university doing the same exercise to increase ankle mobility. I should really do this.
He has become very popular on youtube and seems like a lot of positive feedback on his methods.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Deload week didn’t really go well. I could only get in 2 training days. Moving to another city. Do, had a lot of stuff to close here and move.

I am right now at 84.2kgs. About 16kgs up from stage weight. Been going back and forth with @Hyde and honestly I feel like I am at the best place in terms of health. I will not be competing this year. So, I have a year of off-season coming up to grow and be better.

Legs are weak right now because I haven’t trained them for over 4 weeks now.

7126E013-EEBD-4337-85DF-062BBE2FD293.jpg

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You have Great Shape !

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Moved in the city. Just settled in today. Shortlisted 2 gyms. Moving definitely feels different now at my age. Younger me wouldn’t bother about moving. Now, unless I have everything in its place and at my comfort, just not satisfied.

We become so attached to things as we grow up and change becomes very difficult.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Legs may be weaker but your legs or at least quads are pretty unreal already / still. Definitely not a weak point by any means. Don't get in your head especially with a year of off season to go.

Do leg isolation movements hurt it like extensions or leg curls? If not you could move to a BFR/occlusion approach to stimulate some growth in the interim.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Legs may be weaker but your legs or at least quads are pretty unreal already / still. Definitely not a weak point by any means. Don't get in your head especially with a year of off season to go.

Do leg isolation movements hurt it like extensions or leg curls? If not you could move to a BFR/occlusion approach to stimulate some growth in the interim.
This is my first ‘real’ injury which has kept me out for this long. Honestly, it is really playing hard in my mind. I know what you’re saying. But, you understand the mindset.

Isolations don’t hurt at all. I am doing curls on my pull days. I didn’t think about occlusion training. But, squats at even 40kgs were hurting my knee.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

This is my first ‘real’ injury which has kept me out for this long. Honestly, it is really playing hard in my mind. I know what you’re saying. But, you understand the mindset.

Isolations don’t hurt at all. I am doing curls on my pull days. I didn’t think about occlusion training. But, squats at even 40kgs were hurting my knee.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Yeah different forces and levels of sheer with open chain movements compared to a closed chain movement like a squat. If you can do those and add in some sort of hinge motion for posterior you can still make progress just a little slower but should help.