Jinxie’s Mid-life Reincarnation Workout 🪵

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
LOL Nice, I love using a good brownsugar glaze when I'm grilling 😂
yesterday as I'm pounding through some sushi and freshrolls I look at the dipping sauce that's like pure sugar and I remember, oh yeah, I need carbs! chowchowchow

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
LOL Nice, I love using a good brownsugar glaze when I'm grilling
yesterday as I'm pounding through some sushi and freshrolls I look at the dipping sauce that's like pure sugar and I remember, oh yeah, I need carbs! chowchowchow
Sushi is my favorite loading food. Not pre comp, but for a day I am feeling like I need extra cals to recover or to prepare for a very heavy training session the next day.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
absolutely, easy way to hammer a lot of carbs! i can eat sushi until my stomach explodes like the dude on alien lol

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Seated OHP:
Warmups
105x5
120x5
140x10 (hit the j cups and sorta wrecked the set)

Viking Press:
+70x15
+105x10
+150x10
Delts are on !!!

Lateral Raise:
3x10

Cheater Curls:
3x8-10

Rope Hammer Curls:
3x10

Tricep Rope Ext. supersetted with Pushdowns:
2x10-15
Arms are on !!! Oh well to no longer training arms as stated in my opening post. It’s not so bad, provided it helps my main lifts!

Last edited:
wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Seated OHP:
Warmups
105x5
120x5
140x10 (hit the j cups and sorta wrecked the set)

Viking Press:
+70x15
+105x10
+150x10
Delts are on !!!

Lateral Raise:
3x10

Cheater Curls:
3x8-10

Rope Hammer Curls:
3x10

Tricep Rope Ext. supersetted with Pushdowns:
2x10-15
Arms are on !!! Oh well to no longer training arms as stated in my opening post. It’s not so bad, provided it helps my main lifts!

Starting to get a little vascularity in the shoulders. Would like to see a little more of that in my arms.

View attachment 207312
How do you set up your Viking press? I can’t remember if you’ve shared. Also, this looks like a fun workout all around. I might copy it a little as I haven’t directly trained arms in a while.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How do you set up your Viking press? I can’t remember if you’ve shared. Also, this looks like a fun workout all around. I might copy it a little as I haven’t directly trained arms in a while.
Hey man, thanks. Trying to build shoulders like you, brother.

Here’s my Viking press setup. I’m outside the rack so I use a stand.

IMG_1431.JPG

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
How high does that stand adjust? You may have just given me an idea
Mine is set to 30”, relatively low, but it goes to ~ 4 ft. But I wouldn’t put a heavy load on it extended much further than mine. I’ve put around 200 lbs on the bar. I wouldn’t go higher than 270 lbs. Not with the one I have.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Mine is set to 30”, relatively low, but it goes to ~ 4 ft. But I wouldn’t put a heavy load on it extended much further than mine. I’ve put around 200 lbs on the bar. I wouldn’t go higher than 270 lbs. Not with the one I have.
Gotcha I like to my Vikings from chest height. I use the pin/pipe on my rack with an axle bar

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Gotcha I like to my Vikings from chest height. I use the pin/pipe on my rack with an axle bar
Yeah, I couldn’t accomplish that in my space without taking up an inordinate amount.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you know anyone who needs a very affordable full rack with plate loaded lat pull and seated rows, this one is on sale for $300 with free delivery from Amazon, which seems astonishing to me. It even has dip bars and plate holders! There are no reviews, but if it lives up to the specs, it’s legit enough.

Power Squat Rack Power Cage with LAT Pulldown Attachments Power Squat Rack Adjustable Barbell Strength Training Smith Machine for Home Gym https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097QQ219P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FNAC8W03DRRP0279KZTD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 207329

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tried to post this yesterday, but constantly having problems attaching photos.

Starting to get a little vascularity in the shoulders. Would like to see a little more of that in my arms.

IMG_1904.JPG

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I worked biceps yesterday and tomorrow evening is DLs, but I still wanted to get some chin-ups in this morning. Still working substantially suboptimally as I reintroduce them into my training. This will increase the likelihood that I will keep doing them — as lame as that is, I know myself.

Chin-ups:
3x7

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is a great deal for $300 shipped for someone not needing an adjustable safety pin. Obviously with that stuff you wonder if parts will all line up (or show up) for assembly, but that’s a steal even for any budget.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Didn’t properly deload bench last week, so took it really easy today on bench.

Close-grip Bench:
Warmups
145x5
170x5
190x5

Reverse-grip Bench:
185x5,5,5

Dips:
BW+25x15,15

Tricep Rope Extensions s/s Rope Pushdowns
3x10,8,8

Triceps are bloated and beat.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Squats:
Warmups
150x5
175x5
200x10 (had to abort about 4 short of what I expected)

Felt the sharpest pain I’ve ever felt in my left leg on the way back up. Nearly fell. Pain is at the upper lateral quad, at the top of the quad. Still reeling from the pain. Only thing I can think of, is that my IT bands are really tight from a couple hours of hard tennis yesterday. I did screw up in failing to mash the IT bands before squatting as I customarily do before squats and DLs.

I fear ever feeling that pain again. It was that sharp.

Anyone experience this before? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dude you have some impressive lateral delts! Got me thinking about how to build a Viking press...
Thanks brother, appreciate that. I’m sure it’s partly attributable to Viking presses. I also do strict lateral raises regularly, light weight.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don’t recall having that pain but I’ve had some IT related issues before. How are you feeling today? That’s horrible, and I’m glad you did not fall

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Before I understood what IT bands were when I was early 20s, I started getting horrible pain from them getting tight. I feared I was suddenly going to never be able to squat again it would hurt so bad when I tried to squat. Then someone told me what IT bands were and showed me a 30-sec foam roll of them and I was g2g 🤣🤣🤣

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don’t recall having that pain but I’ve had some IT related issues before. How are you feeling today? That’s horrible, and I’m glad you did not fall
Thanks for asking TGR. It still hurts, but it’s a whole lot better. It can bear weight now. I don’t think I’ll be able to squat or DL for at least a week, which sucks, but am optimistic it’s nothing too serious. Really strange bc I was not even exerting that much and didn’t feel close to limits. But I’m old!!!

Walked nearly 2 miles today, which was a feat.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How are you doing Jinxie?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey guys. It’s been a while. Thanks for checking in. I need to catch up on everyone’s logs this weekend. Been consumed by work as well as convalescing.

I’m still injured (left lateral quad), but I’ve done a couple 2 mile walks, pretty flat grade, and it’s feeling better. Walking up stairs is still pretty painful. Thinking about PT, Graston Technique. It’s worked magic before.

Stretched and mashed IT bands and quads this morning and then did the following, stopping at sharp pain. Will finish back when the wife comes home from working clinic today.

Hex Bar DL:
Warm ups
230x5 (hurt at 5th rep)
230x5 (same)
230x5 (raised handles, no pain)

As much pain as I’ve been in, I’m pretty happy with this. Injury isn’t serious, but I’m old and heal slowly. I’ll be back; this is just a pit stop.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey guys. It’s been a while. Thanks for checking in. I need to catch up on everyone’s logs this weekend. Been consumed by work as well as convalescing.

I’m still injured (left lateral quad), but I’ve done a couple 2 mile walks, pretty flat grade, and it’s feeling better. Walking up stairs is still pretty painful. Thinking about PT, Graston Technique. It’s worked magic before.

Stretched and mashed IT bands and quads this morning and then did the following, stopping at sharp pain. Will finish back when the wife comes home from working clinic today.

Hex Bar DL:
Warm ups
230x5 (hurt at 5th rep)
230x5 (same)

As much pain as I’ve been in, I’m pretty happy with this. Injury isn’t serious, but I’m old and heal slowly. I’ll be back; this is just a pit stop.
Sorry to hear brother. I’ve found ibutamoren can work wonders for healing. Mega dosing cissus quadrangularis for 5-7 days will alleviate inflammation.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Hex Bar DL:
Warm ups
230x5 (hurt at 5th rep)
230x5 (same)

Hope you r feeling better soon mate.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wrapping up back from earlier and then chest …. Oh well yeah, I dropped 5 lbs over last 2 weeks, which I suppose is relevant. 175 lbs.

Chin-ups:
3x8

T-bar Rows:
3x10

Facepulls:
3x10

CG Bench:
Warmups
160x3
180x3
205x8 (leg hurts, so lack of leg drive compromised me — wanted 10-11)
205x6
Really disappointed here. I was on a roll before taking it easy last week. Just need to keep pushing.

Reverse-grip Bench:
185x6,7,7
These felt better. Don’t need leg drive for these.

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wrapping up back from earlier and then chest …. Oh well yeah, I dropped 5 lbs over last 2 weeks, which I suppose is relevant. 175 lbs.

Chin-ups:
3x8

T-bar Rows:
3x10

Facepulls:
3x10

CG Bench:
Warmups
160x3
180x3
205x8 (leg hurts, so lack of leg drive compromised me — wanted 10-11)
205x6
Really disappointed here. I was on a roll before taking it easy last week. Just need to keep pushing.

Reverse-grip Bench:
185x6,7,7
These felt better. Don’t need leg drive for these.
Feet up benching would be a good call for a bit. It translates well when you finally get to feeling better. You might be surprised.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Feet up benching would be a good call for a bit. It translates well when you finally get to feeling better. You might be surprised.
That’s a good call. Thanks man.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Where in the quad is the pain? more inside like groin, outside of hip, or dead center?
Instead of the heavier warm up deads you did this past week at 230+ can you do standard RDL's at like 95lbs?
Can you do air squats with no weight at all? (or lunges, or light goblet squats?)

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Where in the quad is the pain? more inside like groin, outside of hip, or dead center?
Instead of the heavier warm up deads you did this past week at 230+ can you do standard RDL's at like 95lbs?
Can you do air squats with no weight at all? (or lunges, or light goblet squats?)
Lateral quad, below hip. I could try the RDLs. I can do air squats with a little discomfort. I’m sure I can do light goblet squats, but I’m limited as my dumbbells are light — I could use a plate or my weighted belt. Thanks man.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Came down with an illness yesterday. Took the rapid Covid test; it came back negative today, thankfully. I should be 100% by Wednesday.

Seated OHP:
Warmups
115x3
130x3
145x8 (wanted and should have had 9, but didn’t feel up for it)

Viking Press:
+70x20
+115x15
+140x12
Shoulders are burning.

Lateral Raises (strict):
3x8
Shoulders destroyed.

Cheater Curls:
3x8-10

Rope Hammer Curls:
3x10-12

Tricep Rope Extensions s/s Rope Pushdowns:
3x10-20

Feeling better now! Injured quad is feeling a lot better too. Hope to do some light squatting mid week. Naprosyn has been helpful.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Shoulder destruction pump is one of the best feels.
Yeah, I love that burnt out, dull achey feeling where you feel like you can’t possibly do another set, even lateral raises with just 15 lbs.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fkn annoying covid. I've felt *off* times the past year and every time I was advised to test. All negative.

Way to come back strong brother!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Fkn annoying covid. I've felt *off* times the past year and every time I was advised to test. All negative.

Way to come back strong brother!
It gets in your head man. My wife and I thought we had it a dozen times until we finally did. Now I feel invincible!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A gym an hour away from me is selling off a huge amount of inventory. Trekked down and picked up the following, all new:

1. Extremely wide, solid lat bar with quality rubber grips, $5!
2. Neutral handle solid lat/row bar with rubber grips, $5!
3. Tricep bar with rubber grips, $5.
4. 20kg kettlebell with wide window, $44.
5. Pair of 5 lbs rubber hex dumbbells for the wife, $12.50.
6. Pair of dirty hard rubber bumpers, 35 lbs, $35!
7. Pair of dirty hard rubber bumpers, 15 lbs, $15!
8. 2 pairs of crumb rubber bumpers, 10 lbs, $20 per pair.

This was a big score! We now have 740 lbs in the home gym — plenty to load two bars when the wife and I train together!

Last edited:
wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A gym an hour away from me is selling off a huge amount of inventory. Trekked down and picked up the following, all new:

2. Neutral handle solid lat/row bar with runner grips, $5!

This was a big score! We now have 740 lbs in the home gym — plenty to load two bars when the wife and I train together!
Where are the pics? cmon man!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

2. Neutral handle solid lat/row bar with rubber grips, $5!

wow, that’s incredible for value 👌

I’d have a lob on all day after that score

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
how's the quad doing?
Better, thanks for asking! I did a set of goblet squats with the new 20kg kettlebell last night. Felt decent, a little tight, but not much pain. I am going to try deadlifting a little heavier than last time this afternoon. May have to wait till the weekend to squat lightly. I’ll test it again tomorrow with some more goblets, after some mashing. 🤞

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I dunno about a hollow 22 lbs Swiss bar, particularly for folks here, but this is cheap at $95. (As a point of reference, Titan’s Swiss bar weighs around 50 lbs.) My hollow Viking press attachment is made by the same company and it performs admirably — but I ain’t pressing over 300 lbs on it, yet!

Yes4All Multi Grip Barbell with 2 Collars- Fits Olympic Weight Plates, Steel, Black - Multigrip Barbell https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB92L9K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4D2R5MJ3BHD9HCXMPVSG

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, returned to the mine today to see what I could pick up. Felt much, much better than Saturday, where sharp pain started at 5th rep of 230 lbs. Today, I made it to rep 4 at 300 lbs and the pain wasn’t sharp this time, but I felt a pull similar to when I injured it, so I stopped. Clearly, I’m not ready to squat yet.

Hex Bar DL:
Warmups
230x5
265x5
300x4 (stopped at hint of pain bc of pulling I felt; barring that, I’m sure I could have hit 12+, so strength hasn’t taken too much of a hit).

That’s all for today.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I dunno about a hollow 22 lbs Swiss bar, particularly for folks here, but this is cheap at $95. (As a point of reference, Titan’s Swiss bar weighs around 50 lbs.) My hollow Viking press attachment is made by the same company and it performs admirably — but I ain’t pressing over 300 lbs on it, yet!

Yes4All Multi Grip Barbell with 2 Collars- Fits Olympic Weight Plates, Steel, Black - Multigrip Barbell https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB92L9K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4D2R5MJ3BHD9HCXMPVSG
my football bar is hollow and only 22lbs and never had an issue with it. Honestly can’t recall where I got it but it was from a solid uk retailer.