Jinxie’s Mid-life Reincarnation Workout 🪵

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well, returned to the mine today to see what I could pick up. Felt much, much better than Saturday, where sharp pain started at 5th rep of 230 lbs. Today, I made it to rep 4 at 300 lbs and the pain wasn’t sharp this time, but I felt a pull similar to when I injured it, so I stopped. Clearly, I’m not ready to squat yet.

Hex Bar DL:
Warmups
230x5
265x5
300x4 (stopped at hint of pain bc of pulling I felt; barring that, I’m sure I could have hit 12+, so strength hasn’t taken too much of a hit).

That’s all for today.
smart play imo. Pointless pushing through and causing a longer term issue. When you have the training years behind you like you do it’s easier to know what’s just as niggle and what’s actually something wrong.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
my football bar is hollow and only 22lbs and never had an issue with it. Honestly can’t recall where I got it but it was from a solid uk retailer.
Nice. Have you put 278+ lbs on the bar?. If so, maybe I’ll get one for just $95. The manufacturer rates the bar at 400 lbs — but I know of 300 lbs bars that have bent at 225 lbs.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
smart play imo. Pointless pushing through and causing a longer term issue. When you have the training years behind you like you do it’s easier to know what’s just as niggle and what’s actually something wrong.
Yeah man, I’ve learned from the school of hard knocks to listen to my body. I’ve got a dozen ortho surgeries under my belt and plan to do my best to avoid another. Sucks to lose momentum, as I was making solid gains, but beats lying fallow for multiple months and then starting over.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A gym an hour away from me is selling off a huge amount of inventory. Trekked down and picked up the following, all new:

1. Extremely wide, solid lat bar with quality rubber grips, $5!
2. Neutral handle solid lat/row bar with rubber grips, $5!
3. Tricep bar with rubber grips, $5.
4. 20kg kettlebell with wide window, $44.
5. Pair of 5 lbs rubber hex dumbbells for the wife, $12.50.
6. Pair of dirty hard rubber bumpers, 35 lbs, $35!
7. Pair of dirty hard rubber bumpers, 15 lbs, $15!
8. 2 pairs of crumb rubber bumpers, 10 lbs, $20 per pair.

This was a big score! We now have 740 lbs in the home gym — plenty to load two bars when the wife and I train together!
I didn’t know you were a thief!

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nice. Have you put 278+ lbs on the bar?. If so, maybe I’ll get one for just $95. The manufacturer rates the bar at 400 lbs — but I know of 300 lbs bars that have bent at 225 lbs.

Just put up the extra money and grab this. Figure it this you just saved a bunch of money on equipment so…

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I didn’t know you were a thief!
I know. I should have bought the whole set of hard rubber bumpers at 50 cents/lb. But I have a full set now (10, 15, 25, 35 and 45) and I wouldn’t have room for them, or even just the 55s, which they had. The 55s are just too fat to put on a rack without taking up a ton of space. And they’re clumsy to handle.

I could sell them for a 75 cent per lb premium, but I’m through dealing in training equipment as I did during peak pandemic. I was bored and underemployed at the time. If I still were, I’d buy the whole inventory.

I still may go back — but it’s 2.5 hrs round trip.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ve definitely had 225 on it. I can’t row or bench 278+ off a Swiss bar though 🤣

can stick it on and see though if you like, honestly wouldn’t expect any issues, it was used in my commercial gym for a couple of years etc and has no dents or bending at all

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol 225 is not a deload day unless your normal bench is 450
I had a disclaimer, lol. Was going to call you out, but I figured you were trolling and ready to strike.

If I don’t feel great for next bench session, I’ll take it easy. What needed deloading, I think at least, was squats and DLs.

Thanks for keeping me honest, brother.
Squats:
Warmups
150x5
175x5
200x10 (had to abort about 4 short of what I expected)

Felt the sharpest pain I’ve ever felt in my left leg on the way back up. Nearly fell. Pain is at the upper lateral quad, at the top of the quad. Still reeling from the pain. Only thing I can think of, is that my IT bands are really tight from a couple hours of hard tennis yesterday. I did screw up in failing to mash the IT bands before squatting as I customarily do before squats and DLs.

I fear ever feeling that pain again. It was that sharp.

Anyone experience this before? Thanks in advance.

I wanted to give you **** about deloads, CNS, and.................. injuries because I remembered us having discussion on it, but then I remember you did actually go light on squats during your deload period lol. Guess I was looking to rub a little salt in the wound there ;)

I'm glad you are doing better though even if not perfect yet, hopefully it comes around soon!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I wanted to give you **** about deloads, CNS, and.................. injuries because I remembered us having discussion on it, but then I remember you did actually go light on squats during your deload period lol. Guess I was looking to rub a little salt in the wound there ;)

I'm glad you are doing better though even if not perfect yet, hopefully it comes around soon!
Yeah man, I strictly did the prescribed warmups for squats during deload. %. Same for everything but bench, and for that I listened and lifted very light the week after the botched deload.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Just put up the extra money and grab this. Figure it this you just saved a bunch of money on equipment so…
Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it. Appreciate it. My only reservation, and it applies to the cheap one too, is that I have 3 Olympic bars (one is 15 kg for the wife), an ez curl bar, and 2 hex bars (bought a second because ran out of room on the first one bc of short sleeves; keeping it for the wife). And my ceiling is low, so I don’t think it will fit in my bar holder — the 15kg bar just fits; it’s at least 4 inches under 7 ft. I could get a wall holder for it, I suppose.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’ve definitely had 225 on it. I can’t row or bench 278+ off a Swiss bar though 🤣

can stick it on and see though if you like, honestly wouldn’t expect any issues, it was used in my commercial gym for a couple of years etc and has no dents or bending at all
Thanks. I can’t either but I’d like to have room to grow into it. I’m tempted.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it. Appreciate it. My only reservation, and it applies to the cheap one too, is that I have 3 Olympic bars (one is 15 kg for the wife), an ez curl bar, and 2 hex bars (bought a second because ran out of room on the first one bc of short sleeves; keeping it for the wife). And my ceiling is low, so I don’t think it will fit in my bar holder — the 15kg bar just fits; it’s at least 4 inches under 7 ft. I could get a wall holder for it, I suppose.
IMG_9738.JPG

Low ceiling crew…$5 at Walmart

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wondering if anyone has Olympic dumbbell handles of the 20 inch variety. I just got some off of Facebook (handles and4x5 lbs for $35!) and am struggling to find a comfortable way to get them up — they are very uncomfortable to stand on my legs bc it’s just the 2 in. handle resting on the leg. Short of dumbbell stand for the rack, is there any trick to make this easier? Even 65 lbs was challenging. They’re just so damn long and awkward.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Wondering if anyone has Olympic dumbbell handles of the 20 inch variety. I just got some off of Facebook (handles and4x5 lbs for $35!) and am struggling to find a comfortable way to get them up — they are very uncomfortable to stand on my legs bc it’s just the 2 in. handle resting on the leg. Short of dumbbell stand for the rack, is there any trick to make this easier? Even 65 lbs was challenging. They’re just so damn long and awkward.
I had to google that to think of what a db handle was at first as I honestly haven't seen those in ages. yeah that would be very difficult and not comfortable on the thigh if you're talking about setting up for bench.

an alternative could be floor pressing.

the reason I say that is because if you address the db the way you would a kb for an armbar, you could floor press it and safely rack it to your chest.

however new issue, not sure you could do it with two

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I tried it and as you suspected, it’s impossible for me to get the second dumbbell because I can’t stand it up. Perhaps if I got smaller collars and put 10 lbs plates on the outside, i could rest the edge of the plate on my leg. I should see if there are any ideas on YouTube.

Fwiw, I was able to bench with the 65s, but it was not comfortable getting them into position. If I trained with a dude, he could hand them to me. But, alas, I don’t. I think my wife will have trouble controlling even 65 lbs to hand it to me.

This sucks. I was so excited bc our set only goes to 30 lbs.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
haha, fcuk I’ve been waiting for the day that this thing I’ve seen will actually be of use.

there is a company in the uk who manufacture a wooden end for exactly that issue bro. It sits on the end of the handle so you have a flat wooden surface on your leg rather than the handle……

will find a link but they must have something similar in the USA

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
haha, fcuk I’ve been waiting for the day that this thing I’ve seen will actually be of use.

there is a company in the uk who manufacture a wooden end for exactly that issue bro. It sits on the end of the handle so you have a flat wooden surface on your leg rather than the handle……

will find a link but they must have something similar in the USA
You’re the man. Was thinking I may need to put a wider rubber cap on it or some such.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I tried putting the 10s on the outside and there is barely enough lip to hold it on my leg. But it’s precarious. I’d have trouble benching more than 75 lbs. Felt like I did a set of crunches by the time I got them back on the ground. Don’t want to drop and break my nice collars.

There is something called a power hook that hangs on your barbell. This is what I need. Having a hard time sourcing them. Amazon doesn’t carry anymore, nor can I find anywhere else in the US. This would be a good solution. Pffft, if only I could find them!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have the Oly DBs, but haven’t used them ever. Curious what your fix is so I can…

I have the Titan multigrip and I like it. Even still, I’ve only used it 10-20 times in 5 years. The cambered one looks like I might have used it at least 3 times more

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have the Oly DBs, but haven’t used them ever. Curious what your fix is so I can…

I have the Titan multigrip and I like it. Even still, I’ve only used it 10-20 times in 5 years. The cambered one looks like I might have used it at least 3 times more
Thanks brother. There used to be Power Hooks but they were discontinued. For now, I’ll just put larger plates at the outside. I’ll next try my rubber plates next, which have more tact.

Also, I’m doing prison presses with them. They’re too long to bench regularly, particularly inside the rack. It’s a lot harder. I just did 70s x 10 and it felt equivalent to around 210 lbs x 10 close grip bench.

Last edited:
Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You’re the man. Was thinking I may need to put a wider rubber cap on it or some such.
ah bro I can’t find this company (haven’t actually seen them post for a while). I used to think all the time ‘is this a big enough issue to warrant them designing this solution’ but clearly it is an issue.

they were mid sized circular wooden discs with a hole in the middle to fit over the handle to literally create that flat platform you need to have it on your leg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
honestly maybe you can put a short piece of like 2x8" wood across your quads. like a 2ft cut. so that when you whip those things up you can just set them on the wood for a moment or something? there has to be a better way....

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
honestly maybe you can put a short piece of like 2x8" wood across your quads. like a 2ft cut. so that when you whip those things up you can just set them on the wood for a moment or something? there has to be a better way....
That’s not a bad idea. I could drill a 2 inch divot in them to hold the bars. Still won’t be easy with a lot of weight on the bars, but may be better. Actually, I have a foam pad that came with my ab wheel, which may work too.

Okay, I think I’ve wasted enough of your’lls time on this one. Thanks for input.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s only been 3 days since I DL’d, but I didn’t go all out because of my leg. And the wife needed to deadlift tonight. So I joined and did 3s today. No AMRAP, but I hit the numbers without any leg pain, so that’s positive.

Hex Bar DLs:
Warmups
245x3
280x3
320x3

Gonna try to play tennis tomorrow, which should give me a better read on when I can return to squat.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s not a bad idea. I could drill a 2 inch divot in them to hold the bars. Still won’t be easy with a lot of weight on the bars, but may be better. Actually, I have a foam pad that came with my ab wheel, which may work too.

Okay, I think I’ve wasted enough of your’lls time on this one. Thanks for input.
One last waste of time. Knee pads strapped around thigh? Cheap, quick, resourceful.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
One last waste of time. Knee pads strapped around thigh? Cheap, quick, resourceful.
Thanks dude. Missed that last time. That’s a better idea than my ab pad.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Played tennis for 2 hours this morning, and not a peep from my injured quad. Good stuff. With that said, this cycle of 5-3-1 is a big zero for me.

Seated OHP:
Warmups
120x3
140x3
155x6 (should have had 7, but I was beat from the morning and my vagina was sore)

Viking Press:
+85x12
+105x13
+150x10 (this is the highest I’ve gone)

Lat Pulldowns:
3x12-18

Seated Rows:
3x10-15

Bought the cheap swiss bar this morning since it was reduced to $93.50 and even comes with collars.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not all cycles progress equally. At least you’re back to pain free activities.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
IMG_1762.JPG
Dumbbell riddle solved — smaller collars with tacky rubber plates at the end and an old, crappy weightlifting belt to drape across my thighs! Not the most elegant solution, but it seems to work well. Probably don’t even need to put rubber plates at end but safer if the belt falls off.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, the good news is I squatted today. The bad news is I suffered the same pulling feeling when I got to the 5th rep at 165 lbs. But it didn’t hurt this time, and I was able to drop back to 135 lbs without issue. At that point, I was guarding it though, which is never good. It’s definitely not something I’m just going to just push through. I think I just need to stretch and mash IT bands every day and keep going back to the well until it stops. Clearly, it’s nothing really serious, like an actual tear.

Squats:
Warmups
165x5
135x5
135x5

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well, the good news is I squatted today. The bad news is I suffered the same pulling feeling when I got to the 5th rep at 165 lbs. But it didn’t hurt this time, and I was able to drop back to 135 lbs without issue. At that point, I was guarding it though, which is never good. It’s definitely not something I’m just going to just push through. I think I just need to stretch and mash IT bands every day and keep going back to the well until it stops. Clearly, it’s nothing really serious, like an actual tear.

Squats:
Warmups
165x5
135x5
135x5
Sounds like a fascia tear!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like a fascia tear!
Thanks Benny. I bet you’re right. My wife’s a primary care doc, but sporty stuff isn’t her strongest suit.

Question: do you think there’s much risk in pushing it, in terms of a further tear or longer recovery? I don’t mean pushing it like crazy, but just trying to work through it as long as there isn’t pain. I sort of freak as soon as I feel the pull bc there was so much pain when it first happened? I don’t feel any residual pain from last night and was able to do a 3 mile walk after training without issue.

Thanks mate.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
either get that vagina feeling better asap or PR something else, I need you back in the game asap to push me!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks Benny. I bet you’re right. My wife’s a primary care doc, but sporty stuff isn’t her strongest suit.

Question: do you think there’s much risk in pushing it, in terms of a further tear or longer recovery? I don’t mean pushing it like crazy, but just trying to work through it as long as there isn’t pain. I sort of freak as soon as I feel the pull bc there was so much pain when it first happened? I don’t feel any residual pain from last night and was able to do a 3 mile walk after training without issue.

Thanks mate.
I hate giving injury advice out of fear I'm wrong and it may do you more harm than good!! I'll share my experience with tears:

When the fascia tears there is a sharp burning pain but very little, if any, bruising. There is no dysfunction (ie neural inhibition) but using that limb/system is painful afterwards, and it's a sharp 'papercut' kind of pain that is not really linearly scaled (does that make sense?). If it's a big tear then you may feel it stretching or using other muscles along the kinetic chain. If you nurse it too much it heals too tight and the resulting scar tissue can inhibit awareness awareness in that region.

When a muscle tears there is usually a popping noise, a lot of inflammation, and immediate inhibition (this is my experience). The next day there usually significant bruising and inflammation which diminishes over the next week. The muscle will be difficult to activate and the kinetic chain will be altered as you subconsciously compensate. Once healed, the muscle is a different shape (I've torn my left quad, left biceps, and pretty badly torn upper and lower traps and they are all dented) unless you have surgery.

You can definitely work through a fascia tear, and you should, to ensure it heals in the right shape. Use low weight, high volume, short rest interval, slow rep speed protocols to get a good pump without having to rely too much on the stability and support the fascia provides during maximal effort and explosive movement. Taping can alleviate a lot of pain and discomfort from fascia tear.

If its a muscle tear, it needs rest for one week then isolation m9vements with intensity that gently pushes into the pain. If you get the right balance, you should find fast progression with minimal inflammation. If you push too hard with a muscle tear you will get too much inflammation, direct inhibition and increasing pain (ie you will find more pain at lower weight the next day).

Last edited:
BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thigh pain may also be referred from nerve compression in the upper lumbar. Have u any heat in that area?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thigh pain may also be referred from nerve compression in the upper lumbar. Have u any heat in that area?
I think you nailed it with the fascia tear. That all fits the bill. Nothing going in the lumbar spine.

Sure you don’t have a PHD in physio therapy? Thanks for the illuminating response. I’m gonna light but start employing more volume this week. That seems more sensible than what I’m doing — pushing till I feel pain and then backing down, all low volume. I suspect getting the area engorged with blood will facilitate healing.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
either get that vagina feeling better asap or PR something else, I need you back in the game asap to push me!
Sorry man — but you seem to be plenty self motivated these days. I’ll be back!

With that said, I’m starting that new job in a new industry next week, and I’m pretty consumed with reading ravenously to prepare and I’m sure I’ll be working really long hours the first couple of months. But I’ll find a way to keep it rocking once I recover.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Close-grip Bench:
Warmups
170x5
190x3
215x8 (comeback PR)
225x4
This was a pretty good performance after a crappy one last week. 10lbs more for same amount of reps. Had some leg drive this time.

Reverse-grip Bench:
185x7, 7

Prison Press:
70x7, 7

Standing Ez Curls
2x8

Hammer Curls
2x8

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Close-grip Bench:
Warmups
170x5
190x3
215x8 (comeback PR)
225x4
This was a pretty good performance after a crappy one last week. 10lbs more for same amount of reps. Had some leg drive this time.

Reverse-grip Bench:
185x7, 7

Prison Press:
70x7, 7

Standing Ez Curls
2x8

Hammer Curls
2x8
Today was comeback bench PR day! Moving forward!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks guys — much appreciated. Nice to feel good about a workout after a bad string of them and an injury.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Realizing now that dropping back from 180 lbs to 175 lbs, after gaining intentionally, impacted my strength a fair bit. I’m back up to 179 lbs — no more dicking around to have abs, I want strength! So I’m aiming for and plan to stick to 180-185 lbs, which seems reasonable for 5’8”. Fark the aesthetics for now @Dustin07!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Realizing now that dropping back from 180 lbs to 175 lbs, after gaining intentionally, impacted my strength a fair bit. I’m back up to 179 lbs — no more dicking around to have abs, I want strength! So I’m aiming for and plan to stick to 180-185 lbs, which seems reasonable for 5’8”. Fark the aesthetics for now @Dustin07!
Really funny man cause in the last month I weight loss went into hyperdrive and I can see it in my face and even in my clothes, big time. at 175 this morning. Yesterday while I'm squatting I'm thinking damn, you're starting look kinda small to be picking up big boy weights.....

I agree with you, it's way easier to add some serious strength with even an extra 10lbs on the body.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Black Widow Training Gear will fabricate them for your rack. However, you’re gonna pay about $400

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are abs?