• RockStar
Seated OHP:
Warmups
125x5
140x3
160x6 (comeback PR)

Lateral Raises:
3x10

Will finish up arms tomorrow or Wed. And then a welcomed deload.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hopefully the Deload helps with everything. Take it easy

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hope everyone is kicking ass, taking no prisoners.

Deloading this weeks. Elbows still feeling beaten up. Left quad seems to be healing — had held up well over a few hikes now.

Got a used utility bench, Rep Fitness FB-3000, for $50 yesterday. It’s an inch taller than my Cybex adjustable bench such that I won’t be hitting the safety bars any longer, a huge relief. Plus, the pad is thicker and grippier. Still love my Cybex bench, but the flat bench will be much better for flat benching (for me, close grip and reverse grip).

CG Bench:
Warms ups
185x5, 5

Viking Chest Press:
3x10

Tricep Rope Extensions s/s Pushdowns
3x10

I’m gonna try deadlifting lightly today to see how the leg is healing. Fingers crossed.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great buy on the bench! Glad it’s working out better.

You can always try to do your deads as lighter Straight Leg Deadlifts, more bent over at the hip and keeping the loading more in your hamstrings and erectors instead of turning upright and using the quads too.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What a steal on the bench!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hex Bar DLs (very slowly and cautiously):
Warmups
230x5
265x5
305x5
Was very uneasy about stirring quad pain, but it was all good. With that said, it all felt heavier than it should. I guess I’ve taken 6 or so weeks off bc of the injury. All-in-all, a success I suppose. I’ll continue to proceed very cautiously without AMRAP sets.

T-bar Rows:
3x10

Seated Rows:
3x10-12

Facepulls:
3x10

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hows the PT going? You find it helpful?
Hey man, thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to delve into PT because of the demands of my new job. I do think it’s getting better naturally, but it’s slow going. Been doing 3 -6 mile walks and even played tennis this weekend, but there’s still some residual pain. Will try to deadlift again today.

Hope all is well for you, Benny!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Close Grip Bench:
Warmups
155x5
175x5
200x10

Reverse Grip Bench:
185x7, 7, 7

Tricep Rope Extensions s/s Tricep Pushdowns
3x10/each

I’ve gained 5 lbs, pretty much entirely fat, but still am just treading water in terms of strength. I need to start carving out time during the week so I’m not just training on the weekend as I’ve been doing the last 5 weeks. New job is important and all, but so is the lifting, for my head as much as my body. Need to get my head back in the game. Been half-assing it for sure. Plan to pick things up this month.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe try adding a Wednesday morning or evening session so you have 3 per week. When you get used to that fine, consider going to a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday if you feel you can and it would be beneficial.

Glad the job is doing well - still there and rolling is a great sign! Be easy on that quad when you pull; stay well within your current means.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can relate. Its why I took a break from school to build up the consistency again. You'll bounce back, no doubt.

Speaking of, your CGBP is a strong one!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks Hyde and TGR, appreciate the support. Quad felt pretty good today, no pain triggered, while staying well within limits.

Hex Bar DL:
250x3
285x3
320x6 (felt better than 305x5 last week)

T-bar Row:
3x10-12

Facepulls:
3x10-15

Seated Rows:
3x10-12

Pretty happy with this, despite not moving heavy weight or pushing it. Heart felt in it, which counts for a lot these days.

Wife hit 205x11 on Hex Bar DL. Pretty sweet given that she’s been at this for all of 5 months and she weighs only 120 lbs. She couldn’t even budge 200 lbs 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s been awhile since posting, but I have been training. Introducing “boring but big” sets to bench press and shoulder press. Loving the pump!

October 4th

Seated OHP:
Warmups
110x5
130x5
145x8

Oct 9th

CG Bench Press:
Warmups
3x165
3x195
6x205 (disaster set!!!)
5x10x120

Oct 10th

Hex Bar DL:
Warmups
5x265
3x305
6x340
No quad pain, but still taking it easy.

T-bar Rows:
3x10

Lat Pulldowns:
3x10-15

Facepulls:
3x10

Oct 11:

Seated OHP:
3x120
3x140
8x155 (rep record)
5x10x85

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Still at it! What is this disaster set you speak of?
Yup. Being melodramatic I suppose. Should have had 9-10 at 210. Really not sure what was up bc I hit a seated OHP rep record (come back record) and usually my bench is in tandem. It just felt hard and uncomfortable, not sure what’s up. Hopefully it’s an outlier. Thanks fellas.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yup. Being melodramatic I suppose. Should have had 9-10 at 210. Really not sure what was up bc I hit a seated OHP rep record (come back record) and usually my bench is in tandem. It just felt hard and uncomfortable, not sure what’s up. Hopefully it’s an outlier. Thanks fellas.
happens bro, never ceases to amaze me how workouts where everything ‘should’ be awesome don’t live up to it and the ones what shouldn’t be sometimes good crazy good

just bank it and move on

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
happens bro, never ceases to amaze me how workouts where everything ‘should’ be awesome don’t live up to it and the ones what shouldn’t be sometimes good crazy good

just bank it and move on
So true

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Back to the drawing board — my bench has taken a hit. Delts hurt when I roll on them sleeping these days, so I think the shoulder is the culprit. I don’t get along well with benching, bc of all my shoulder surgeries, which is why I only close grip bench.

CG Bench:
Warm ups
175x5
200x3
225x4 (definitely had another with a spotter)
5x10x120

Dips:
BWx15, 10, 6
All those bench reps really take it out of me, even though the weight is light. Part of the limitation is from being so pumped, I think.

On an unrelated note, I cracked a front molar today. Hated — I hate going to the dentist!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used to have a nasty supraspinatus and rotator pain. I bought a bow tie and routinely use the warmup in the videos below. Since then (2016?), I have had zero shoulder issues on bench. Not sure it would be your fix, but the mobility stuff couldn’t hurt. You can also have your wife wrap your shoulders with leg wraps to save on the bowtie.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I used to have a nasty supraspinatus and rotator pain. I bought a bow tie and routinely use the warmup in the videos below. Since then (2016?), I have had zero shoulder issues on bench. Not sure it would be your fix, but the mobility stuff couldn’t hurt. You can also have your wife wrap your shoulders with leg wraps to save on the bowtie.

Thanks TGR. I’ll give that a try!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Today was supposed to be a deload but I wanted to get my lifts in sync so I just did a maintenance workout. Quad is feeling a lot better. Think I’ll try squatting lightly next weekend.

Hex Bar DL:
Warmups
230x5
265x5
305x6

T-bar Row:
3x10

Facepulls:
3x10

Seated Rows:
3x10-12

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear about the tooth! Hopefully you can find some pressing that doesn’t bug the shoulders so much.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry about all the health related stuff! Hope you can get in to see the dentist in a reasonable amount of time. I called mine about a month or two back for routine cleaning and they told me next appt was Dec!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How's it going, bud?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey fellas! I guess it’s been around 4 months! Frankly, I thought it had been even longer — feels like it.

Still lifting, but starting a new job/career consumed most of my free time since my hiatus. Hours are more normalized so I figure I’ll have time to post again!

I’m terms of updates, in addition to having an injured left quad and right rotator cuff, I developed intransigent tennis elbow and wrist issues on my right arm from benching and pressing — my wrists are sorta small relative to the rest of me. It got to the point that in addition to not being able to squat, I could barely bench and press. I’m sure being on a mouse all the time didn’t help!

But then entered the angled multi-grip bar (48lbs Titan beast), that I finally broke down and bought a month ago. Why didn’t I do this sooner?!?!? It’s been a miracle — I’m benching more on it than I was with a conventional bar bc my wrists/elbows were in such rough shape. Also ended up doing some PT for the elbow and finally got a cortisone shot last week.

For those who don’t know, I’m on TRT. Despite taking a decent dose of test cypionate, my blood work revealed that I still was hypogonadal. Could explain why I was feeling so fatigued from work and not healing/recovering well from lifting. Now I am taking Androgel at the highest approved dose (1.62%, 4 total pumps/day), hoping it will get my levels eunogonadal. I’ll test in a few weeks.

Also, from all work and not enough play, I put on some poundage, about 12 pounds. Weighing 187 lbs now — not fat, but could stand to lose a few. This has helped me maintain strength despite all the injury challenges.

Approx Maxes:

-Hex-bar DL: 435 lbs

-Angled Multi-grip Bench Press: 260 lbs (intermediate angled grip; experimenting with outer grip)

-Seated Shoulder Press: 195 lbs (just started using multi-angled bar though, so this number likely will take a hit as the balancing of the bar makes this more challenging).

*Back Squat: ??? (Quad never fully recovered from the tear and I need to go to PT before resuming squatting. I am at least hiking regularly again and legs feel pretty strong from regular DLing.)

Looking forward to getting back to logging and some accountability. Probably will start by logging the bear minimum, to keep the demands low so I stick with it. Will log my lifts this weekend for starters.

Hope everyone is doing great!!! Happy Super Bowl weekend!

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey if a guy can pull over 400 on a Trapbar and bench over 200, weighing under 200lbs, I would say they have a solid base of push pull strength to take on daily life! We do this for fun, so finding ways you can make it work for you like picking the right bars and lifts is huge.

Maybe see first if you can get back to some bodyweight squats and lunges first without quad pain before considering adding any load. If you can get there, then progress to holding a DB/kb while doing that first. If it’s hurting, never increase load. The answer usually will be more PT, more rest, and/or more base volume/frequency to restore that base function first.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Progress pic/benchmark:
IMG_2507.JPG

Weight: 185 lbs

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey if a guy can pull over 400 on a Trapbar and bench over 200, weighing under 200lbs, I would say they have a solid base of push pull strength to take on daily life! We do this for fun, so finding ways you can make it work for you like picking the right bars and lifts is huge.

Maybe see first if you can get back to some bodyweight squats and lunges first without quad pain before considering adding any load. If you can get there, then progress to holding a DB/kb while doing that first. If it’s hurting, never increase load. The answer usually will be more PT, more rest, and/or more base volume/frequency to restore that base function first.
Good advice — thx boss!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Away we go …

Angled Multi-grip Bar Bench Press
Warmups
190x5
215x3
245x2
255x1
260x1
245x3
230x4
210x5

Think I’m good for 270 lbs.

Lying DB Pullover
3x10

Now gonna hit the mountain bike trail!

Last edited:
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome back!

Yeah the Titan multigrip bar is an awesome accessory. I admittedly don’t use mine enough.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Welcome back!

Yeah the Titan multigrip bar is an awesome accessory. I admittedly don’t use mine enough.
Thanks buddy!

It’s really easy on the wrists and elbows. I have terrible tendinitis in my right elbow such that I can barely unrack a regular barbell with a decent amount of weight on it when benching; but I can totally handle the multi-grip bar. Would think it would be harder since you do have to balance it (sorta like a hex bar, but hands up instead of down), but I can move close to the same amount of weight on it as a regular barbell.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hex Bar DL:
Warmups
280x5
320x3
360x6

Tbar Rows
3x8-10

Weighted Hyperextensions
3x12-20

Let’s go Bengals!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hex Bar DL:
Warmups
280x5
320x3
360x6

Tbar Rows
3x8-10

Weighted Hyperextensions
3x12-20

Let’s go Bengals!!!
i quit watching football several years ago...but my son is also a bengals fan, so...GO BENGALS

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And you’re back hexing it HARD!

Also go Bengals

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did seated OHP with multi-grip bar, medium grip, for first time today and it was hard as hell! Seems to activate the traps more. I’ll post numbers later, but it wasn’t pretty (cost me about 30 lbs) and I’m already sore.

Anyone ever do these?

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pondered but never tried. Seems one would have to go lighter for full ROM. My shoulders kinda hurt thinking about it

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did seated OHP with multi-grip bar, medium grip, for first time today and it was hard as hell! Seems to activate the traps more. I’ll post numbers later, but it wasn’t pretty (cost me about 30 lbs) and I’m already sore.

Anyone ever do these?
for me it's same as military press, both are harder seated since i can't use my legs which i tend to do...seated is better, imo.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Anyone ever do these?
Yes, and yes they are tougher and definitely do utilize traps more! You want to angle the side of the bar away from you up at a higher angle (so you can raise your upper arms/elbows up as high as practical).

This is similar to how Logpress develops the upper back/traps by necessity.

It’s good for you!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes, and yes they are tougher and definitely do utilize traps more! You want to angle the side of the bar away from you up at a higher angle (so you can raise your upper arms/elbows up as high as practical).

This is similar to how Logpress develops the upper back/traps by necessity.

It’s good for you!
That’s what I like to hear my man!

I noticed I had to angle the bar to fully extend. You just do it naturally.

I can tell that’s gonna grow the **** out of my traps, which I don’t target bc they are already disproportionately large. But **** it, this is way easier on my wrists than a barbell atm.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Seated OHP with angled multi-grip bar:
75x5
90x5
110x3
120x5
135x5
145x2
145x2

As noted before, I had to reduce weight by around 30 lbs as compared to a regular barbell. And boy did I get sore, particularly in the traps. I’m gonna stick with it, to save my wrists/elbows and bc this seems like good, hard work that will payoff.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m fully transitioned from test cyp shots to androgel (2 pumps per arm, normal TRT dosage) now and it hasn’t seemed to impact my strength or size, which is surprising to me as the effective test dosage is much lower. (With that said, even on 150 mgs of test cyp per week, my blood work looked like **** in terms of free test. Perhaps I was shooting too infrequently at one per week, IM). I think I feel more balanced on the gel, tho it’s a bit of a PITA to apply. I’ll be able to make a better assessment after a couple of weeks.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s been around 8 weeks since I’ve used a regular barbell to bench or press, so I’m not pushing to failure. Hoping my wrists and elbow can handle it. I did get a cortisone shot to elbow a couple weeks ago.

This is my deload week, but I skipped shoulders for a few weeks so I’m making it up.

Seated OHP:
Warmups
135x5
155x3
175x2

That’s it since it’s a deload weekend and I’m still healing. Pain free for most part!

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It’s been around 8 weeks since I’ve used a regular barbell to bench or press, so I’m not pushing to failure. Hoping my wrists and elbow can handle it. I did get a cortisone shot to elbow a couple weeks ago.

This is my deload week, but I skipped shoulders for a few weeks so I’m making it up.

Seated OHP:
Warmups
135x5
155x3
175x2

That’s it since it’s a deload weekend and I’m still healing. Pain free for most part!
cortisone shots usually help a lot when 1st starting to get them, hopefully this is the case with you.

good luck!!!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
cortisone shots usually help a lot when 1st starting to get them, hopefully this is the case with you.

good luck!!!
Unfortunately, it’s one of many I’ve had. I had my right elbow repaired in 2011 for a partial tear and chronic tennis elbow. Haven’t needed a shot since then, probably bc I stopped lifting heavy soon after, until just recently. In any case, this shot def did its job. I was remarkably pain free today. Onward and upward!

Last edited: