Progress Pic, with legs too, 175 lbs.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good point. I have hands commensurate with my size, 5’8”.

You’re always welcome to spectate and your word is gospel here!
Did you ever see the movie '61 by Billy Crystal about Mickey Mantel and Roger Maris? there's a good line in there about why he only dates girls with small hands 😂

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did you ever see the movie '61 by Billy Crystal about Mickey Mantel and Roger Maris? there's a good line in there about why he only dates girls with small hands
Haha. I haven’t but can imagine it makes his bat seem bigger.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

New challenge for the deadlift race
You’re gonna make me join Instagram now? The lengths I go for you …

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I need to work through the discomfort of that. Good suggestion. Im using a thumbless grip on pressing and would prefer a hook grip.
Build it slowly. A few reps every session will go far. Or a bunch of reps at low weight can get ya a good base. Baby steps.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You’re gonna make me join Instagram now? The lengths I go for you …
No but I will make you hook grip

Bummer was that video private only? Dude was deadlifting on a skateboard

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No but I will make you hook grip

Bummer was that video private only? Dude was deadlifting on a skateboard
I’d like to start hooking it. I know thumbless is dangerous.

I was able to view it just now, lol. My clumsy ass def will not be doing that.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I resisted hook grip for ages cause i thought it hurt and seemed oddly dangerous to be fair. my coach pressured me into it when I kept missing a 210lb power clean. so I said OK OK I'll do it, then set a PR that day at 225 lol. been a believer ever since.

I do try to do my deadlifts as just normal over hand as high as I can but will switch or hook grip once grip is at risk of not making a set.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I resisted hook grip for ages cause i thought it hurt and seemed oddly dangerous to be fair. my coach pressured me into it when I kept missing a 210lb power clean. so I said OK OK I'll do it, then set a PR that day at 225 lol. been a believer ever since.

I do try to do my deadlifts as just normal over hand as high as I can but will switch or hook grip once grip is at risk of not making a set.
It’s the standard for proper heavy weightlifting like cleans/snatches because you’re never dealing with bigger weights, but it’s not as good as my mixed grip for deadlifts. It has failed me many times, basically whenever I get into high 500s the skin on my thumbs rips off into a bloody mess. Not a grip issue - an actual skin issue.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
it's true, the struggle is real. at some point during the pandemic and didn't even recognize them. weak, soft city boy looking hands. the rough callouses are back tho, to my wife's chagrin.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I definitely am not watching that. Just broke my leg on a skateboard!
**** man, I had no idea. You’re pretty large for a skateboard, dude. Very daring. I have a long board, and I still manage to fall on my ass when I ride. Gosh that cement hurts!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Seated OHP:
Warmups
120x5
135x3
160x5 (this should have been 150, whoops)
135x8

Lateral Shoulder Raises (strict)
3x10

Quick and dirty.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha. I miscount my lifts all the time. Nice job man.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Haha. I miscount my lifts all the time. Nice job man.
Thanks man. It really threw me off. I didn’t realize it till I racked the weight. I was like, “damn, this feels heavy for 150.” And then I thought, no way am I getting 7 or 8, lol. Relieved it wasn’t only 150!

I decided to workout before my wife gets home so I don’t have to load and unload 2 bars — she uses her 15kg bar for OHP.

I’ll finish my workout with her. Still need to do Viking Presses, which I dig.

Oh yeah, apparently my shoulder is not injured!!! I’ve been eager to test it.

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
**** man, I had no idea. You’re pretty large for a skateboard, dude. Very daring. I have a long board, and I still manage to fall on my ass when I ride. Gosh that cement hurts!
The pup in my profile pic pulls me behind a longboard full speed for her “walks”. I imagine it is quite the sight from an outside view lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm certain your press is stronger than mine, seated is way harder imo

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm certain your press is stronger than mine, seated is way harder imo
Only if you’re doing push press or using too much leg drive. Standing is harder brother. I’m sure you’ll find the same if you do them a few times.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Finishing up shoulders …

Viking Press:
+45x15
+70x12
+95x12
+120x12
Note: This is on a landmine; I don’t know variable bar weight.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Only if you’re doing push press or using too much leg drive. Standing is harder brother. I’m sure you’ll find the same if you do them a few times.
Generally I always fall back to Rippetoe on all things powerlifting when doing a form or routine check. When I'm pressing my biggest goal is to engage as much as I can while ensuring my reps are legal if I was competing so from time to time I'll have my buddy watch me for a form check since he competes and sometimes hosts comps.

when I push press, I am more likely to cheat at times though and end up with a little bit of a push jerk... I don't worry about that too much because in my mind the big thing I'm still getting out of it is explosiveness and the eccentric (which I think is super important)

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Generally I always fall back to Rippetoe on all things powerlifting when doing a form or routine check. When I'm pressing my biggest goal is to engage as much as I can while ensuring my reps are legal if I was competing so from time to time I'll have my buddy watch me for a form check since he competes and sometimes hosts comps.

when I push press, I am more likely to cheat at times though and end up with a little bit of a push jerk... I don't worry about that too much because in my mind the big thing I'm still getting out of it is explosiveness and the eccentric (which I think is super important)

That’s all correct, but I still don’t understand how you perceive that seated OHP is more challenging per lb than regular (standing) OHP. I do think seated OHP hits the delts harder, but it’s easier bc it requires less coordination and you can press against the bench and get more leg drive while doing a strict seated press.

Are you leaning back some when doing standard OHP?

At any rate, I can hit 185 lbs on seated OHP, but I’m sure I can’t hit more than 170 lbs standing right now.

Last edited:
RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree that seated OHP is more challenging. To hit a max effort OHP, I have to squeeze my feet, rotate my hips, squeeze my lats, and completely lock down my core. Same cues I use before a squat.

When seated, I can’t do most of this.

Last edited:
BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Seated OHP isolates the front delts and upper pecs for me. Strict standing ohp allows me to torque the weight up using glutes and back, and I get a better all round shoulder pump from the humerus rotation. To complete the movement I use my braced thorax as a lever against the stabilising muscles in my upper back and shoulders such that the final cue is pushing my body forward through the lift to lock it out. Cam definitely lift a lot more this way.

Seated OHP is, for me, unhealthy. It cultivates imbalance in my shoulders and aggravates old injuries in my right side. Same with incline bench and pec flies.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Maybe I’m the odd man out. Despite shoulder issues of the past, if I keep a narrow grip with elbows in, and I keep my glutes squeezed and core tight, seated OHP isn’t hard on my shoulders. (A conventional bench press is much harder on my shoulders, which is why I do close grip only). Standing with heavy loads beats up my shoulders and overall body way more and I can’t do as much weight. I truly thought it was the same for most lifters. I stand corrected.

Addendum: I routinely do Viking Presses on a landmine. The trajectory is such that it doesn’t hurt my shoulders or overall body. Then again, I’m using modest loads after already doing seated OHP. Maybe I’ll switch the order some of the time.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm with you, I have found that my "normal" bench press can be close to some guys closed grip bench. Which is odd because I have fairly wide shoulders for my stature. But I have landed on a bench press grip that .... Like you ....protects my shoulders.

A wide grip feels very bad, poppy, and like I could easily tear something

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When my OHP was highest I could do more standing because it was coming from more whole body strength assisting driving it through how JR & Benny mentioned. But when my bench was highest, since this past winter as I’ve built the highest static pressing muscle, seated is now stronger.

Basically the more you rely on anterior pressing muscles favors seated, and the more back & lower muscles you can use favors standing.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
When my OHP was highest I could do more standing because it was coming from more whole body strength assisting driving it through how JR & Benny mentioned. But when my bench was highest, since this past winter as I’ve built the highest static pressing muscle, seated is now stronger.

Basically the more you rely on anterior pressing muscles favors seated, and the more back & lower muscles you can use favors standing.
Great explanation! It rationalizes the apparent conundrum. Thank you!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Stumbled upon this awesomeness today. Used to do these regularly. Going to resume tomorrow.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stumbled upon this awesomeness today. Used to do these regularly. Going to resume tomorrow.

This is how Anthony Clark used to bench World Records back in the day - 800lbs to be precise. When I was getting into powerlifting, a guy I looked up to locally had done 495 like this in a single-ply shirt at like 220. It’s TOUGH! But super cool if you have a liftoff & spot. Use chalk!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This is how Anthony Clark used to bench World Records back in the day - 800lbs to be precise. When I was getting into powerlifting, a guy I looked up to locally had done 495 like this in a single-ply shirt at like 220. It’s TOUGH! But super cool if you have a liftoff & spot. Use chalk!
Thanks.

I used to do them very regularly. Back in the day, I was doing 3x225x8-10. But I’m not even close to that now. It actually comes pretty naturally for me. If you’re a strong incline and CG bencher, you tend to be good at reverse grip.

Still need to train the wife how to spot me! And I need to move my rack out to make room for a spotter. That will be challenging as space is very limited.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Played 2 hours of tennis this morning. My opponent was pesky and it was hot. I figured it would deep 6 my sesh today, as beat as I am, but it turned out alright.

CG Bench Press:
Warmups
165x5
185x3
210x8 (rep PR for this year’s comeback)
220x5 (these felt really good, but left some in the tank for some reverse grip)

Definitely feeling a little stronger on bench. I think the creatine has kicked in. I’d be thrilled to hit 275 by the end of the summer, though that may be a tad ambitious.

Reverse-grip Bench Press:
135x10
185x8
185x6

These felt pretty good considering I haven’t done them in a long, long time. Going to make this a regular accessory as it’s helped my bench a lot in the past.

Triceps Rope Extensions
3x10-15

Pooped, but really satisfied I pushed through it.

Last edited:
jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It’s a little late to be posting a before pic, showing what my physique looked like before this year’s comeback. But this is a good representation. Now granted, I’m not flexing, so there’s that. Why would I be, lol?

IMG_1762.JPG

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You have improved a ton so far! Keep up the good work Jinxie
Thanks a lot, Hyde. Means a lot.

200 lbs and up on bench has been feeling a lot heavier than I’d like. It’s really satisfying when you break through a level and suddenly it doesn’t feel heavy any longer. Onward and upward!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dude!! That is a major recomp! I assumed you started out more yoked already. What does your wife say about your progress? Really impressive man.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dude!! That is a major recomp! I assumed you started out more yoked already. What does your wife say about your progress? Really impressive man.
Thanks buddy. Definitely wasn’t yoked before.

Wife is particularly impressed bc she always works to stay fit, while I periodically lose shape and then get back into form reasonably fast. This was the first time I’ve ever taken so much time off, and it spanned 60% of our relationship, so she was used to being the fit one of the two of us.

I think she’s getting a little frustrated about the fruits of my muscle memory — she’s making great progress, but the benching and pressing are moving a lot slower for her. But I couldn’t be prouder as she never had done barbell work and now she’s DLing 185 lbs for 15 reps on the hex bar at 118 lbs.

Thanks again. Hopefully our respective progress compels us to new PRs!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That's a common issue in marriage lol. It's always harder for our women although I think they do a better job of staying even keel.

My wife and I have been together a few years now and we have tried a lot for her.

We were both xfitters so I programmed her workouts and diet early on and we had good success before a Hawaii trip. However as we age that's not becoming reasonable lifting anymore.

We hired a bodybuilder friend at one point and that worked. As well as another. But this last connection she made she went back to her roots in everything nutrition and has dropped like 15+lbs since may. It's working really well finally and it's probably the least taxing routine she's been in. Sometimes ya just gotta find that secret recipe

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hex Bar DL:
Warmups
260x5
295x3
330x2 (no AMRAP bc heavy singles)
370x1
400x1
420x1

This is with my older, smaller caliber hex bar. 420 is the most weight I can put on the bar. This is a PR for this year and represents a 40% gain for year to date. I think I have a little more in me, but am probably short of the projected 462. I’m not sure what weight I can handle on the fatter grip hex bar. I’ll find out in cycle 2. This coming week is a deload and I need it.

Lat Pulldowns:
3x10

Facepulls:
3x10

My wife was sucking a little wind so we will defer biceps until tomorrow with shoulders.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m deloading this week and plan to take it pretty easy after a pretty hard run for around 10 weeks, which was probably too much. Feeling surprisingly good today after the heavy (hex bar) deadlift singles.

I can tell I now am saturated with creatine. When pumped, like after today’s sesh, I look bloated/bigger and sort of amorphous. I forgot the extent to which that happens. I feel a little stronger, but am not sure I like the trade off.

Seated OHP:
Warmups
65x5
85x5
95x5
Question: what’s the deal with warming up and then starting all over? I’m following the 5/3/1 program, but haven’t been deloading formally until now.

Viking Press:
3x10

Banded Internal/external Rotation:
2 cycles x 10

Standing Pseudo-Preacher Curls:
3x10-13

Rope Curls:
3x10

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Also I'm not convinced you truly need to lift during a deload. It's just going through the motions in regards to your question on warmups. I used to take my deload week and just golf. I do think the body needs some time where you don't even touch a barbell to be honest

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the takeaway is keep it light, short & sweet. You just practice the movements a little, move some blood, basically exercise.