Jas's Strongman Training log

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Actually I sleep with a pillow over my head and my head on the bed. Weird, yes, but I'm an extremely light sleeper who needs to block out all light and sounds. Yoga's probably a good idea, but something I may not stick with. Maybe I'll try some Frank Shamrock-esque artistically rolling around on the Swiss ball.

My CNS is fried, but the local pro wants to train so like an idiot I'm headed out there soon.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday

BW: 222

800# tire flips - 12 for cardio

log press (8'' diameter, I've been wrong before in saying that it was 10'')
245-3
305-0
195-5 for standing military

farmers walk
175 per hand - maybe 250 ft
225 per hand - maybe 150 ft

245# keg carry in front of the body - 100 ft.

atlas stones (were a little wet but used tacky)
232 - 3
265 - 1
290 - 1

Bent a horse shoe a little past 180 degrees but couldn't get it around to 360 degrees to make a heart shape which is the goal.

Felt a little off on the log, but it's been 3 weeks since I hit it. I'd like to try the 330# stone one of these days when the weather doesn't make the stones sweat so much. It's questionable whether I'd get it. I also picked up the "bomb", which is basically a shotput with an attachment to hang weight from for grip strengthening.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
new toys are always fun.

i also often sleep with the pillow on my head instead of under.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

BW - 222

Clean n Jerk
-worked on improving form for a while, then discarded improvements and decided to go heavy :head: Seriously though, it didn't feel right.
251-1
261-1
271-1
281-1 PR

291-fail on clean - crash video :head:

incline
315-4 PR

crucifix hold with 25# dumbell per hand - 42s

one handed bomb deadlifts
left and right - 83
right - 108 (left hand failed)
failed at 133

pinch grip with 2 25# smooth side out making figure eights through legs - maybe 15-20

pinch grip with 4 10's
left - 2s
right - 12s

pinch grip with 3 10's
left - 15 s
right - 21 s

blob load - stand 25, 30, 35, and 40# dumbells straight up, grab top head of dumbell with one hand and lift it over a bench to the other side, move them back over then with the opposite hand.

The C n J's were pretty painful without my usual ibuprofin primer.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Man, that was fvckin awesome. Best sh*t I've seen since Kabuki's "floor" GHR attempts. You had that sh*t way high enough, it was as if you did that as a joke, thanks. Personally, I would've told that old dude that was creepily watching you to beat it. I'm 50% sure he ruined your lift, sorry if that is your or Poly's pops or something.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I would've told that old dude that was creepily watching you to beat it. I'm 50% sure he ruined your lift, sorry if that is your or Poly's pops or something.
:rofl: waiting for jas's response.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
No doubt. I thought you'd find it amusing. I don't know how I didn't catch it. It was about the same as the last one. I'm sure Poly will go all Mullet/Brittanica on us with some physics soon. :twisted: No seriously, though, I need to keep my arms straight on the pull and obviously catch it on my shoulders better. Then on the push jerk, use my shoulders as a platform for bar. I lost a lot of power pushing from my hands which drop when you dip. What other problems did you see, Poly? I'm sort of ignoring the second pull issue, but I did sort of see a second pull.

The older dude is a training partner, and we were having a clean n jerk off :blink: (unfortunate choice of words). We both topped out at 281. He's a pretty accomplished strongman and PLer (national champ maybe?) as you may guess by the fact that he has no neck.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
What other problems did you see, Poly?
For what it's worth:

From the successful attempt:

In your starting position you seem to have the bar and your hands in the right places, except that your upper back is a bit rounded (on both attempts, actually). You jerk the bar when you lift first lift it; when I slowed the video I saw your upper back bending first and then you jerking the bar by slightly bending your arms and then pulling up. It seems that you're bending your arms on the way up as well. The rest looked pretty good and I wish that I could keep the bar this close to the body.

On the failed attempt:

You seemed to move your ass up quite far before the bar actually left the ground. At one point it looked kind of like a good morning with your torso nearly horizontal and the bar barely off the floor. In any case, you caught the bar pretty high, but it's probably lower than what you're used to so maybe you tried to squat down with it and that's what got you?

In both videos you were doing some version of the second pull correctly. That is, I think I see the 'scoop' when I follow your knees. So that's good news.

My recommendation would be to try and slow down the first part of the pull, then accelerate from about your knees without worrying about the second pull, since you appear to execute that naturally. Hopefully slowing down the first part will keep the bar where it should be, keep your energy for the jump, and keep your arms straight so that you're not losing momentum to straightening your arms and such.

Also the hook grip. Give it a try for like 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference?

You're definitely capable of 300+, by the way.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I noticed something different in the start too between the first two attempts. I remember trying to really push with my legs at the start of the 291 failure, and it didn't feel quite right midway up. I'll give it a try slowing down the first pull on some lighter ones and see what happens.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Poly seems to have some good advice. I would recommend telling the old dude to beat it, he was fvcking with your mojo.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I noticed something different in the start too between the first two attempts. I remember trying to really push with my legs at the start of the 291 failure, and it didn't feel quite right midway up. I'll give it a try slowing down the first pull on some lighter ones and see what happens.
I don't quite understand why but a lot of oly lifters that I've watched on youtube start to adjust for the lift from a deep squat instead of from the top. Maybe it helps them achieve the right starting position? I noticed that when I go to reach the bar from standing up and then try to get in position by putting my chest out and setting my back, I'm always a lot higher than I think I am, and my upper back is slightly rounded.

In any case, as far as slowing down the first pull, I've heard that one should think of it as 'squeezing' the bar off the floor. I'm gonna try all these things next time along with making sure that my arms are somewhat relaxed when the bar is flying up, because I think that I tend to push the bar away from me when I shouldn't.

Are you going to Kenny tomorrow?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Probablt not. I have a meeting at 11am, but I may try to squat after that.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Poly seems to have some good advice. I would recommend telling the old dude to beat it, he was fvcking with your mojo.
Alex: thanks, too bad that my form sucks donkey balls.

Also, JD is cool and he tied jas for 2nd place at the last strongman competition :) Besides, jas lost his mojo a long time ago....

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Probablt not. I have a meeting at 11am, but I may try to squat after that.
Move your meeting to Kenny. I also see that you're doing Calc 2 this semester? At 8 and 9 am? Well, at least you'll have a whole day for classes and research and lifting.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Besides, jas lost his mojo a long time ago....
Yes but I'm renting "How Stella got her Groove back" tonight to remedy the situation. Yeah, my assignment is what you said, but no need to reveal our level of nerd-dom.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Yes but I'm renting "How Stella got her Groove back" tonight to remedy the situation. Yeah, my assignment is what you said, but no need to reveal our level of nerd-dom.
I meant to say: I see you're hitting up them *****es at sunrise and spendin' the rest of your time sippin' on gin and juice.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Calc 2 and you're 29 years old, pffff, Mullet taught himself Calc 2 in 5th grade.

I'm sure that dudes cool, just fvckin around. You can learn a lot from the old fellas. The guy is probably only like 40, but in the vid he looks 55.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do they offer Calculus courses in High School there? Where I went to High School in Canada, courses are split up on the 10,20,30 level (grades 10, 11, and 12, respectively) with offerings in 31 for 'pre-University' courses. They offered both Dif., and integ., Calc., as separate courses at my High School. I thought I would be rid of them and was forced to spend even more time with functions in several statistics courses for my UG..Bleh, I ****ing hate math.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Calc 2 and you're 29 years old, pffff, Mullet taught himself Calc 2 in 5th grade.

I'm sure that dudes cool, just fvckin around. You can learn a lot from the old fellas. The guy is probably only like 40, but in the vid he looks 55.
He's 40 and can out pull all of us at a weight of 235 or so.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Do they offer Calculus courses in High School there? Where I went to High School in Canada, courses are split up on the 10,20,30 level (grades 10, 11, and 12, respectively) with offerings in 31 for 'pre-University' courses. They offered both Dif., and integ., Calc., as separate courses at my High School. I thought I would be rid of them and was forced to spend even more time with functions in several statistics courses for my UG..Bleh, I ****ing hate math.
Yeah 1 and 2 is offered for more advanced high schoolers. I'm a numbers person, what can I say.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah 1 and 2 is offered for more advanced high schoolers. I'm a numbers person, what can I say.
Yuck man. I took them both just to be sure, and was naive enough to go into the Social Sciences thinking I would be rid of them..Nope. Totally wrong.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
i don't know much about Oly lifts but damn that crash video is Sweeet!

How much can the old guy pull.

Math easy for me but i did not find it exciting. Not much offered in HS but between Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering degrees i had my fair share...although unfortunatly with my studying style I retained very little. I wouldn't buy the books or do any of the recomended homework, just show up for some of the classes write down the formulas on the board, then take the test and get the high scores.

Let me tell you, that does not make your fellow engineering students happy with you.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
i don't know much about Oly lifts but damn that crash video is Sweeet!

How much can the old guy pull.

Math easy for me but i did not find it exciting. Not much offered in HS but between Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering degrees i had my fair share...although unfortunatly with my studying style I retained very little. I wouldn't buy the books or do any of the recomended homework, just show up for some of the classes write down the formulas on the board, then take the test and get the high scores.

Let me tell you, that does not make your fellow engineering students happy with you.
Well, he can't out-pull you, but I think he's done 640 raw and 660 in a suit. A motivated Alex would be pretty close to him.

Yeah, I can imagine that didn't make your fellow students too happy, but there are the rare few that can pull it off. I'm trying to combine my math skills with a finance masters to get job (yes I'm 29 and still in school :rant:) in the financial sector that actually makes some cash (unlike Poly :stick: :twisted: )

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to combine my math skills with a finance masters to actually get job (yes I'm 29 and still in school :rant:) in the financial sector that actually makes some cash (unlike Poly :stick: :twisted: )
I get older and they stay the same age, whaaaaaaaaat.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, he can't out-pull you, but I think he's done 640 raw and 660 in a suit. A motivated Alex would be pretty close to him.

Yeah, I can imagine that didn't make your fellow students too happy, but there are the rare few that can pull it off. I'm trying to combine my math skills with a finance masters to get job (yes I'm 29 and still in school :rant:) in the financial sector that actually makes some cash (unlike Poly :stick: :twisted: )
lol..I could not get a job with my Undergrad degree. A Phil/Soc., degree does nothing besides giving you the ability to become a pot-smoking professor, who *****es about "the establishment".

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do we all think of a split which looks like this:

Day A

Squat Cleans
Flat BB Bench
Standing Military
Rack Pulls
CGBP/BB Curl

Day B

Power Cleans
Wide-Stance Squats
Incline DB Bench
Arnie's/DB Curl
DB Tri Press

Day C

Floor Pulls
Front Squats
Decline BB
Seated Military/Preacher
Skull Crushers

I would do this every four days, i.e., Monday/Friday then Tuesday/Saturday etc.,

Reps slow and controlled, biggest/most compound lifts less sets/reps, more isolations following a 3 x 8 scheme.

The middle day (eg., Wednesday on a Mon-Fri) is a conditioning stint. This is functional strength exercises ala Dinosaur training.

Thoughts strongmen? I've usually trained in classical BB style.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Looks pretty good. I like it. Do you feel like the cleans and pulls hit your upper back pretty well? I used to do a lot of rows and pullups, but I think I may just stick with cleans and deadlift variations along with strongman stuff. All that seems to hit the back plenty.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks pretty good. I like it. Do you feel like the cleans and pulls hit your upper back pretty well? I used to do a lot of rows and pullups, but I think I may just stick with cleans and deadlift variations along with strongman stuff. All that seems to hit the back plenty.
Floor and Rack Pulls absolutely kill my rhombs/traps, so I like to stick with them. I've always responded best to less frequency routines, and I want to add some power/explosiveness to my workouts. I was just doing a primary/secondary regime, so this isn't too much of a switch. I'm not a big fan of isolation movements.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah isolation is boring as hell and not as effective for adding mass or strength IMO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, it adds shape, but that's after you have large mass.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Fri

BW-221.6

DL
515-1
545-0

overhead squats
135-8
155-5
175-kerplunk

pullups-12,12 (weird elbow feeling so I didn't push it)

bomb DLs
98-R,L
113-neither

GHRs-10,6 (a lot easier on proper equipment)

core work

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It must of looked dumb as hell and was crazy loud.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You should've let out a Ric Flair "whooooo" right afterward, people would've thought you were the sh*t.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
And if people talked sh!t do the KG high step into a clothesline.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
haha. KG sure has a sh*t ton of energy. You, I would say are the opposite, you look like you just woke up from a nap/lost your puppy after your lifts. Even after the spectacular C and J disaster you looked as if you might just roll over and take a nap.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Ifelt like I got hit by a car after some of those heavier C n J's with my wrist breaker catches and no ibuprofen. I also haven't been taking any stims, and I haven't adjusted yet. :sad:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eesh, I feel ya. When I stop caffeine it's like Night of the Living Dead in the gym. Every other times I'm jumping around like I'm trying to clothesline The Giant.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Ifelt like I got hit by a car after some of those heavier C n J's with my wrist breaker catches and no ibuprofen. I also haven't been taking any stims, and I haven't adjusted yet. :sad:
Is the tummy feeling better?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Every other times I'm jumping around like I'm trying to clothesline The Giant.
:icon_lol: Too bad he probably can't defend himself since he never comes in here.

Odd that you'd ask, Alex. I was walking somewhere this morning and I yacked out of nowhere. And then did it about 8 more times as I was walking. Some little undergrad girl was laughing at me. Fvcking weird. Anyway, yeah it's been better besides that weird incident.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Strongman Sunday

800# tire flips - 12

8'' log press
245-3
295-0
295-1
305-0

245# keg run 160 ft with 40 ft turns
1 round with keg held out in front
1 round using bear hug

atlas stones series to 51'' platform
round 1 - 230, 265, 290, fail on 330
round 2 - just tried 330 and got it :head: big PR

Did some bending afterwards - not really my thing but a few of the guys really like it. The first 3 stones really went up pretty quick so I was pretty pleased (although I looked like I just wanted to take a nap ;) )

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
**** me, I feel your yacking pain. I threw up about 8 times during a cardio session last night at 1am.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice work on the 330# stone. The "nap" look is very Emelianenko like, loves it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I think it was the cereal that I have been eating. My tum no like. I almost yacked after the 12 tire flips (lungs on fire, strong desire, rages deep within,....,hearts on fire, fever's rising, fight until the end) :think: Intense cardio and yacking go hand and hand.

I'll respond to your "loves it" with a "hated it" (Men on Film from In Living Color quote)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Jas, do you ever do Zercher deads? I would think they would be great to improve your stone work.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice find with the vid lol. I've only done Zerchers a few times and never much over 315 beacuse I thought that I would tear a bicep. They are a good gym substitute for stones though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice find with the vid lol. I've only done Zerchers a few times and never much over 315 beacuse I thought that I would tear a bicep. They are a good gym substitute for stones though.
Never thought about tearing a bicep. I was more worried about breaking my spinal(said in Mike Tyson voice).