Jas's Strongman Training log

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Bicep tears are the most dreaded and common injury in strongman. Everything seems to stress them. Kevin Nee just tore one.

I've seen a few guys actually lift stones Zercher style, but it takes a lot of flexibility and is probably harder than the regular, hand underneath style. I used tacky on all of my stone lifts today. It definitely helps with the grip, but rips all the hair off your inner arm. You can see some of the guys reapplying tacky before the final stone on some of the WSM's.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Is Nee improving at all in Strongman? I'm ready to see another Jouko Ahola(sp?) sized guy take the title. Nee's personality seems to blow, but that sucks about the bi tear.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
He made the finals for the first time and got 8th overall this year. He's a monster now at like 6'1'' 280 ripped, and at 22 could be one of the top dogs in a few years. He posts on the Marunde Muscle forums but doesn't keep a log or anything. I don't dislike Nee, but he's not my fav either.

Ahola was pretty sweet, and he designs all the events these days for the WSM. I think Marius will keep the title until injury or excessive gear use takes him out. Sebastian Venta seems to be getting pretty good though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
He made the finals for the first time and got 8th overall this year. He's a monster now at like 6'1'' 280 ripped, and at 22 could be one of the top dogs in a few years. He posts on the Marunde Muscle forums but doesn't keep a log or anything. I don't dislike Nee, but he's not my fav either.

Ahola was pretty sweet, and he designs all the events these days for the WSM. I think Marius will keep the title until injury or excessive gear use takes him out. Sebastian Venta seems to be getting pretty good though.
Yeah, I shouldn't say Nee's personality blows. He seems like a very nice guy, just probably wouldn't get a single one of my jokes, not like Wandy does at least. I didn't realize Nee was that big, thought he was closer to 255-60.

I'll have to get back into WSM, I've fallen off a bit. Venta, didn't know he was a top contender. What about Pfister? And what happened to that crazy russian guy that won like 3 or 4 years ago?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Pfister got 4th this year. Srudis Savickis (yeah sp?)? He's still around but I don't think he competed this year. Nee was that size last year, but geared up to 280-285 now.

I think Venta (maybe it's Wenta?) got 2nd this year. I haven't seen this years finals yet though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No, not the mild mannered Savickis, he's lithuanian or something. A crazy russian guy. He might be from the Ukraine, he won a few years back. When do they televise the finals, not until next christmas?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Vasyl Virastiuk was who I was thinking of. He's from the Ukraine and won in 04, not sure where Marius was that year. Virastiuk was a powerhouse(obviously), some sort of locomotive type strength. Guess he was a one hit wonder, as I don't think he's made the finals since. The guy had a lot of energy, not very Emelianenko like, but pretty entertaining.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, it was Virastiuk. Not sure where he went. Injury? I don't remember him being that entertaining, hmmm.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Monday

BW-223.5

squat (belt+wraps):
405-3
435-3
465-2

front squats (using proper rack holding position!):
225-8

pinch grip - 2 25's
right-27s
left-14s
right-21s
left-17s

pinch grip 3 10's
right - 21s
left - 1.2s :eek:
retry left - 3.9s :eek:

I think I had 3 in me at 465, but my right knee is a little beat up so I didn't push it. Front squats felt good after my wrists loosened up. I'd like to try something heavier.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you do Clean-Style Front Squats, or Arms-Crossed Fronts Jas?

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
pinch grip 3 10's
right - 21s
left - 1.2s :eek:
retry left - 3.9s :eek:
Finally, I beat you at something :rasp: I got over 30s on 3 10's that one day at Kenny. Anyway, good job on the front squats done oly style.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Do you do Clean-Style Front Squats, or Arms-Crossed Fronts Jas?
By rack position, I mean clean-style. This is the first time that I've done them that way, but like I said it felt nice after a little stretching phase. My fingers were hurting a little afterwards, which I'll blame my poor pinch performance on :rasp:.

Poly you seem to be a natural gripper. I seem to be a pretty weak pincher. I think a few of us will be at Kenney at 4 on Friday for Oly lifting shenanigans. I'll try to beat 231 on snatch. :head:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do Clean-Style as well, it's the only way I can go high.

I do my front squats weird though, I go light as hell, touch my ass to the ground (literally) and do 20 rep sets. They destroy me.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like it would work well, Mullet. I like to do my overhead squats like that every once and a while.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The MTV True Life "I want to do some sh*t" featuring Kevin Nee is on right now. He was only 240 back then. I think you could've hung with him on log press, Jas.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
There's a pick of him on the NAS website where he's only 210-215 when he first started. It's ridiculous. 3 years and the dude gained 70# of solid muscle.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

BW - 223.3

standing military
225-1
245-1 PR
250-0
250-0
250-1* (it went up so easy that I thought I might have used a slight knee bend but none of my partners saw anything - I'll try to repeat it to make it official).
250-0

incline
325-1+1 forced (blew wad on SM)

bottom cap rack pulls
585-3

GHRs - 12, 8

core work

3.5'' pinch grip with 50# hanging:
right-26s
left-21s

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
There's a pick of him on the NAS website where he's only 210-215 when he first started. It's ridiculous. 3 years and the dude gained 70# of solid muscle.
That is incredible, juice or not, probably at least a little of the former. The kid really has a one track mind, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish top 5 within the next few years.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I heard a rumor that he collapsed or fainted 2 or 3 times at a recent contest. He may be on a boat load of stuff. It's a little scary after Marunde's death.

Westerner

Westerner

Awards
Yeah, I heard a rumor that he collapsed or fainted 2 or 3 times at a recent contest. He may be on a boat load of stuff. It's a little scary after Marunde's death.
I watch this on tv,it was brutal
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I'm not his fan also,but he is comited.Although he doesn't have a chance against others with this body weight,he is only 275,or his oponent Marius pudzianowski,he had 2year suspendion for using doping,Marius is also light 285-295.

The best in the world are:

Savickas who weights about 430,

koklayev who is ex weightlifter,best in Russia,kicked out of weightlifting because they didn't want him to compete in strongman,he had snatch 460 and clean&jerk 530.Bw 350-360

Vasiliy was profesional in athletik orb thrower,still able to throw it more then 20meters.Body weight 350pounds

All three of them can pick up 480 pounds stone,marius can't,and now in strongman all disciplines are much heavier,weight is bigger and that is not marius advantage....speed time in strongman is over,now really heavy people are coming,and it starts heavy weight time.Marius is now just atraction for public,not real oponent for these three.

One of new who could do something and jeopardize these three is Katona bw 340-360,others don't have a chance.
Here is his ipf rules bench 660,which he is not training so much because of strongman
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
and log lift atempt of 440
YouTube - Ervin Katona Log lift atempt

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
OK, so Nee was just tired after DLing so much. I thought he was having some bigger issues. At this years, World's Strongest Marius was around 310 or so I believe. I think Marius was competing for 2 different federations and one of them didn't like it so they tested him and suspended him. All the guys are on something.

I wish I had access to stuff like the World Grand Prix, but I can't watch it.

That 440 log attempt was really close and I believe 440 is the record in competitions. Thanks for the vids, Westerner!

tunnelrat

tunnelrat

Awards
  • Established
late to the party...

imo, every gym should have a section devoted to strongman stuff: logs, tires, atlas stones, sledges, etc. sm is functional training at its pinnacle, no doubt.

strong log man :thumbsup: .

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thank you much. I'll be moving in ~6 months and hope that I can find some sort of a gym with strongman stuff. It's tough, though. Love the sig, tunnel.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
late to the party...

imo, every gym should have a section devoted to strongman stuff: logs, tires, atlas stones, sledges, etc. sm is functional training at its pinnacle, no doubt.

strong log man :thumbsup: .
Sadly, most will have this to say: "liability" :(

I know, I know, but everyone's afraid of being sued these days.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Fast twitch Fridays

snatch:
221-1
236-1 pressed out so it doesn't officially count.

clean n jerk:
226 reps in 60s - 9 PR

crucifix hold with 25# dumbell per hand - 38s - disappointing

pinch grip with 2 25's
right - 30s
left - 25s

bomb hold with 78#:
right - 10s
left - 7s
** Tough for time!

Some blob loading.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Here's jas doing a little dancing with the bar today:

I forgot what the weight on that one was.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That was the 236 attempt. Thanks, Poly. :cheers:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday

BW-223.4

Squat
445-3
465-3
475-2

Front Squat
225-3
245-3
265-3
275-2

Pause squats
225-10

3.5'' block pinch grip with 50# hanging
right-20s
left-20s

Circles around body with 2 25s pinched together switching hands.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice work, so boring for a Sunday though. You should've capped off the workout by running through the woods with a log on your back or something.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I should have, but it's just too damn cold. I thought about carrying my 220# keg around my apartment, but I'm worried the floor would collapse or something if I dropped it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Probably a good idea that you didn't do that. It's like 15-20 here, I imagine it's below zero over there, eh?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think it's about 0 with a wind chill below that. Mullet's about to swoop in and call us pvssies, though. E-fed probably would have trained in it too.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Call YOU a pussy. Remember my Marlon Simsesque story about the Brit-thug-doesn't get cold guy. Yeah, I really don't get cold thanks to him. Mullet, judging by his guns show(quoting vika) pic, is at about 3% BF. I bet that lil sh*t gets cold quick, but he can always snuggle up with Ms. Big Dogg. I understand she is a bit of a behemoth.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Please go back to the 'bouncer' thread and read Bering's response. Do you understand?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Call YOU a pussy. Remember my Marlon Simsesque story about the Brit-thug-doesn't get cold guy. Yeah, I really don't get cold thanks to him. Mullet, judging by his guns show(quoting vika) pic, is at about 3% BF. I bet that lil sh*t gets cold quick, but he can always snuggle up with Ms. Big Dogg. I understand she is a bit of a behemoth.
Well you guys are pvssies. :twisted:

I went for my usual run tonight and it's -15 C here, probably about -20 C with the wind-chill. I played a few sports, so being a Canadian athlete you are more or less acclimatized to doing strenuous activity in the freezing cold. My endurance is fvcking horrible when it's this cold though.

In my hometown though, I remember multiple stretches of a week or more being -40 C. Now, that is cold.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I've done some strongman stuff in the semi-cold and it is a lot better when you have blood pumping more. My grip sucks in the cold though so it would hurt almost everfything I do. I've grown up with cold weather as Nebraska was windy as hell, but never gotten too comfortable with temps below -15 C or so.

I hate the dude who wears around shorts in 40 degree weather, vanavich.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's me somewhat. I don't even wear shorts in the summer, but I wear sandals when there is still snow on the ground. Just doesn't bother me that much I suppose.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Tues.

BW: 222.3

bench with 1 s pause on chest:
315-5
345-2

standing military
225-3

dips
BW+90-10
BW+135-5

crucifix hold with 25# Dbs - 36s WTF

Some friends have convinced me to give bench a try for a PLing meet in April so I'll half ass it until my 3/1 contest then hit it hard for the last few weeks. I havn't done dips in a while and was weak on them.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

BW - 223.3

DL
500-1
545-1 PR (Easy!)
565-0 (got it off the ground about 2-3'')
555-0

double overhand halting DL
405-8

pullups
wide - 17
close - 8

GHRs - 18

Should have tried 555 instead 565 and I would have had. Oh well, it will come. I think not doing strongman this weekend left me fresher.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Fast-twitch Fridays

Clean n Jerk:
271-1
281-1
291-0
291-1
301-0
296-0

snatch
221-0
221-0 (got it but pressed out bad, too tired after CnJ)

crucifix hold with 25# db in each hand - 43s

3.5'' pinch grip with 50#
right-27s
left-20s

blob loading - 45# db with each hand, missed 50#

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Monday

BW - 222.3

squat (belt + wraps)
445-3
475-1 + fail (leaned forward too far :frustrate )

front squat
275-5
315-1 PR

end of barbell hold:
115#
right-44s
left-45.8s

135#
right-22s
left-22.8s

pinch grip
2 25# plates
right-27s
left-3s WTF :lol:

3 10's
right-31.1s
left-53.8s weird

Pretty poor day on regular squats. I was just off I guess.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Were you doing Rack/Clean Position or Cross-Arm Fronts?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I plan to do only rack/clean position from now on. My wrists seem to be loosening up.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That joke makes itself.

I know what you mean though.

Do you like to compartmentalize your big lifts? Deads/Rack Deads, Cleans/Front Squats/Rack Cleans, for example.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Lately that's what I've been doing. It seems to be working okay.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Just say "break up" from now on, Mullet. We don't like that there fancy sh*t round these parts.

Jas, you should be squatting more. You can do 405x12 and you can barely max 475? You should be able to do at least 500. I guess it's just that you've done a lot of training geared towards med/high reps. Film one of your squat days for us. I want to see if what you're doing.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
^
Roger on that. I seriously can't help it buddy, but if it honestly annoys you that much I'll tone down the verboseness of my posts. (obviously that was on purpose).

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
^
Roger on that. I seriously can't help it buddy, but if it honestly annoys you that much I'll tone down the verboseness of my posts. (obviously that was on purpose).
I really don't give a flying fvck. I'm just trying to give you a hard time. Admittedly though, if I didn't know you and you spoke like that in person I might be disgusted. Fine line between just wanting to be smart and wanting people to sweat you for being smart, naw mean?