Jas's Strongman Training log

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I can tell you that the bar was slightly off center on my back and my knees were coming in (but most people do this). Yeah something else seemed a little off too though so any suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, the stupid faces that I make are also a little off. Didn't realize that I did that.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Are you allowed to sit on the box, like you would a Westside style box squat?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Are you allowed to sit on the box, like you would a Westside style box squat?
Yeah, my friend did that, but I don't understand why you would ever want to. I guess I'm a bouncing though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
With the time limit, it might screw you over I guess. Seems like it might be a little easier to sit back on the box, then roll forward activating the hips. I'll do a little test during the next 2 weeks, what height is that box?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Not really sure. Maybe 16''? They just sort of visually inspected it, adding or subtracting boards when necessary. It was much higher than the 14.75'' that we used in training for sure.

I see what you're saying and it may be optimal in a 1 RM situation but it seems like it would burn more energy in a high rep setting. Truthfully I never should have tied my training partner with 12 given his incredible powerlifting background.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
An Alexanderesque drinking binge combined with a Mulletlike E and Epi cocktail.

Ok no. I think I'll work on these races - 250 standing military, 350 push press, do the strongman contest 3/1 whose events I listed earlier, maybe do this mid-April push-pull meet, and give some hotties the American Me Peter North treatment. :head: (or at least some subset of those things)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
350 push press is pretty impressive. I don't think I could ever catch that off a clean. Don't think I care to learn the technique to do that. I mean, they're catching it on their shoulders somehow? I catch it with my wrists, breaking. I may be down to do a standing press contest with you, 1/2" knee bends allowed!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I catch it on my wrists too. I don't have the tricep flexibility to catch it properly. I'm talking take it off the rack at shoulder level and push press, push jerk, or split jerk it to a lock out. I may stick with the log, but currently I don't really have access to one. :sad: You're on for the standing military, but I don't know about this bend.

Poly, I'm going to go down there and spread some of the love.:nutkick:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
OK, no bends. Is squirming allowed? Where are you at right now on standing military? This is for 1 rep or 3? Dates? No idea where I'm at, I'll test on wednesday. Are you doing drive-by's on Poly?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
OK, no bends. Is squirming allowed? Where are you at right now on standing military? This is for 1 rep or 3? Dates? No idea where I'm at, I'll test on wednesday. Are you doing drive-by's on Poly?
1 RM. I've done
235-1
230-2 (although the first was sketchy...took a step)
225-3

Squirming is definitely allowed and back bending is allowed and strongly encouraged (at least by me). Date? Maybe March 1st?

No drive-bys. I'd like to think I'm more mature than that but probably not.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
1 RM. I've done
235-1
230-2 (although the first was sketchy...took a step)
225-3

Squirming is definitely allowed and back bending is allowed and strongly encouraged (at least by me). Date? Maybe March 1st?

No drive-bys. I'd like to think I'm more mature than that but probably not.
Alright. 1rm, 1920's style backbending, March 1st. I'll log my current max on wednesday.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
nice vids.

i can't really comment on the squat because that is significantly different than what we do. The bouncing may help but i would like you to watch that vid again and think about the spinal compression that is going on. I'm not sure that the help would be worth the risk.

on the deadlift bring your legs closer together to allow your grip to be closer. may feel funny at first but put your feet at or inside shoulder width and arms as close as possible without causing excessive dragging. when you widen legs and then obviously your grip, you have to reach lower to grab the bar. Same thing with shoes, get thinner shoe, or moccasin, or wrestling shoe, or socks. this will do the same thing. you don't have to go down as far to grab the bar.

Nice lifting.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
On DL that's actually significantly wider than I usually leave my feet. Not sure why I did that except that I was gassed after the squats and out of it.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
don't fret jas, one time I kept my asics on after cardio, proceeded to deadlift and caught hell from 'Buki about it.

He's a stickler for the finer points, but we love him.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Ha! Those shoes are actually very thin soled with no air cushion. Barefoot is probably better though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I've been deadlifting in my electrician boots this whole time. I should be money barefoot.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
that definitely deserves the disturbed Wand gif.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Fvckin Mayhem is hilarious. Yeah, I haven't worn my chuck's in a while. I usually deadlift barefoot and squat in my air max's, but I'm gonna go back to the chucky's.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thurs. - max monkey day

standing military
225-1
240-1 PR

flat bench
345-1
375-1
395-0

crucifix hold with 25# dumbell per hand - 35 seconds

wide grip pullups - 17
narrow - 10

dips - 33 (no more high rep dips - felt terrible after this)

pinch grip hold with 2 25# plates held together (these were very wide crappy plastic ones)
right - 21 seconds
left - 14 seconds

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice work on the standing military's. I wonder what you could push press currently, give it a shot. I'm gonna do the 405 for reps in 60s here in a few hours. I think I'll do WS style today, and then back compressionizers next week.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice work on the standing military's. I wonder what you could push press currently, give it a shot. I'm gonna do the 405 for reps in 60s here in a few hours. I think I'll do WS style today, and then back compressionizers next week.
Oh, trying to win the contest from home, huh. No, I'm curious to see what you get.

Thanks for comps on the standing military fellas.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh, trying to win the contest from home, huh. No, I'm curious to see what you get.

Thanks for comps on the standing military fellas.
Trying to see which way is more effective, at least for me. Oh and definitely trying to take a chunk out of yous fvcking mantlepiece:nono:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to join in this competition, let's have a 'who is shortest' competition.

I win.

:D

Seriously though, P4P pulling competition? P4P because you fvcks are too big for me.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good Mullet. What do you want the 'meet' date to be? I may drop down to 155 for this one, beam and speed diet.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good Mullet. What do you want the 'meet' date to be? I may drop down to 155 for this one, beam and speed diet.
LOL.

Well, give me an estimate of your 1RM for Rack and Floor Deads, so I have an idea of what kind of coefficient I am up against, and how much time I'd need.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
LOL.

Well, give me an estimate of your 1RM for Rack and Floor Deads, so I have an idea of what kind of coefficient I am up against, and how much time I'd need.
Floor dead-620
Rack dead(knee height)-765?
Weight-233

I've never really cut for a comp, but I might for this. I'd like to pull 660 @ 220. March 15th sound good?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Well I'll probably get smoked at a pulling comp, but I won't back down.

Max. DL - 525 but I'll check next Wed. on a new max.
18'' rack pull - 600-650 not really sure.
weight - 222

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Floor dead-620
Rack dead(knee height)-765?
Weight-233

I've never really cut for a comp, but I might for this. I'd like to pull 660 @ 220. March 15th sound good?
Cool. That video was from top-knee, and I can pull about the same from 2-3" under.

Floor Dead-525+ (depends on the day)

March 15th sounds gravy to me.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Well I'll probably get smoked at a pulling comp, but I won't back down.

Max. DL - 525 but I'll check next Wed. on a new max.
18'' rack pull - 600-650 not really sure.
weight - 222
When's the last time you checked your max? I'm wondering because I thought you were close to JD on 445 for reps, and he pulled more than 600? Maybe 445 for reps isn't predictive of a 1 rep max, though...? I have no idea how those things go.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Alright cool. Are we doing a cap level deadlift and floor, or just floor deadlift?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why not do a cap and floor pull.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sat.

morning BW - 221
PWO BW w/ clothes shoes- 226 (not buying this though)

Squats (belt+wraps)
405-3
445-3
475-1
500-0

pause squats -
225-10
225-8

core work

muscleups - 1 ugly rep

I'm going to work on strengthening my hammies some. Hopefully that will help on deads. GHRs on DL days and the benches tightened my chest up more than I like last workout. Shoulder flexibility is crucial for log and overhead presses so I think I'll drop the flat bench and my quest for 405.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
When's the last time you checked your max? I'm wondering because I thought you were close to JD on 445 for reps, and he pulled more than 600? Maybe 445 for reps isn't predictive of a 1 rep max, though...? I have no idea how those things go.
JD's hit 15 before and Eric's hit 14 before with 640 (I think?)and 605 respective raw maxes. I've never hit more than 11 and benefit greatly from the bounce. I'm not sure it translates perfectly, but I also am hoping to get around 545 on Wed.

I like the idea of doing both. Let's say that the bottom of the bar should be about even with the bottom of the cap. Should we start a new thread to track our progress? Open it to the board in the PLing section or keep it 3 man?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am absolutely horrible with logs, but if you guys keep one I will attempt to update regularly. And I like that, bar parallel with the bottom of the cap, and floor?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
JD's hit 15 before and Eric's hit 14 before with 640 (I think?)and 605 respective raw maxes. I've never hit more than 11 and benefit greatly from the bounce. I'm not sure it translates perfectly, but I also am hoping to get around 545 on Wed.

I like the idea of doing both. Let's say that the bottom of the bar should be about even with the bottom of the cap. Should we start a new thread to track our progress? Open it to the board in the PLing section or keep it 3 man?
O.K., bottom of the cap sounds good, that way you can't get your knees under the bar at all like Mully does in that vid. I imagine if I get my knees under the bar and resting on my thighs I can pull a huge amount.

Jas, you are a master at repping. With your 'high' reps on squats and deads you should be able to max more. I would've imagined at least 515 on squats.

I'm a little worried Mully is gonna drop down to Faber weight and dead 4x bodyweight:lol:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
also does bottom of the cap mean when you are standing up straight or when you are in your deadlifting position?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
also does bottom of the cap mean when you are standing up straight or when you are in your deadlifting position?
I would standing straight. If it was bottom-cap when you bent that would be somewhere around 4" near the shin.

I am about 170 @ ~9% right now. I could cut down to 6-7% without losing much strength at all. But that wouldn't improve my coefficient that much.

I was just too close to the bar on that pull as well. More scraping than lifting with the legs. =P

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Fvckin Mayhem is hilarious. Yeah, I haven't worn my chuck's in a while. I usually deadlift barefoot and squat in my air max's, but I'm gonna go back to the chucky's.
i just pulled the inner soles out of my old chucks to test out. Awesome deadlifting show with that setup.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
i just pulled the inner soles out of my old chucks to test out. Awesome deadlifting show with that setup.
I'll have to try that out, as I have two pair, one that I never wear. Why is it better than barefoot or socked?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
don't fret jas, one time I kept my asics on after cardio, proceeded to deadlift and caught hell from 'Buki about it.

He's a stickler for the finer points, but we love him.
i don't even know why i try. hell i have to abuse the hell out of my training partners to get them to listen. guess i'll have to think about how else to knock some sense into my interweb peeps:bruce3:

although it is rewarding when someone that hasn't stepped into the gym with you for a year drops by and wants to do a workout to get back on his feet and start training again....and walks in the door with a brand new pair of chucks and knocks out some squats with perfect technique:head:you know you done good then.:dance:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Jas, you are a master at repping. With your 'high' reps on squats and deads you should be able to max more. I would've imagined at least 515 on squats.
Sweet, what everyone wants, to be high rep master with a low max. I actually think that the box was a bit high at the contest and I went 1-2'' lower for this max attempt. I think I would have gotten 490 or so.

So no hitching for this contest right? Note that strongman events allow hitching and some people are crazy good at it.

Buki, I'm gonna try barefoot Dling when I get home from the holiday travels. The "fitness" place I'm hitting for the holidays would probably kick me out. :frustrate

Mullet you told me you were 175# a few days ago. :nono:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hitching? Personally, I like to pull the bar to right above me cap, then sink into a half squat, jerk the bar up an inch or two, repeat 2-3 times until lockout. Is that cool?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I assume you're joking, but yes that would be hitching if I'm understanding you correctly, ie any time you rest the bar on your leg and then slide it up. I never have a problem beyond the knee so I never hitch.

Here's some good hitchage:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I was just kidding. That was a description of the most ridiculous hitching possible. I don't hitch, don't worry.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry but this is the standard hitching video:

:head:...