Jas's Strongman Training log

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that brit-thug banger highlight reel is great. Semtex is definitely the star in that one, great music throughout.

Maybe we can do some sort of contest once you stop strongman training. I'm doing a little mini cycle(not anabolic) and am gonna test my deadlift and incline bench in 5 weeks.
You're on for the contest. I want to focus a little more on flat bench after I'm done. Maybe shoot for 385-6 :twisted:.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:lol: Maybe I'll use big words and talk about the physics of the lifts to the competitors. :twisted:
Hey man, if you have no chance of placing, you may as well talk to them about it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm sure you'll rip it up buddy.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
You're on for the contest. I want to focus a little more on flat bench after I'm done. Maybe shoot for 385-6 :twisted:.
Whatever happened to the 250 press?
Also, if you can get your clean to the 300+ range that'd be really awesome. I'm curious to see how it'll affect your deadlift and stuff. I heard that after you can clean 300 you need a permit to do it doggy style since the thrusts tend to be lethal.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think I'd be close to a 300 lb clean now, but I can't catch it properly. I'm aware of the technique but my body just doesn't respond.

250 press contest is still on, but will soon be over :twisted:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm the same way on cleans. DL has always been my favourite and highest weighted exercise, but I can't seem to use my momentum properly on cleans.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
good luck man!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same way on cleans. DL has always been my favourite and highest weighted exercise, but I can't seem to use my momentum properly on cleans.
Whatever happened to your log, Mullet? Are you still hitting the weights?

I can actually catch it, but I do it mainly on my hands which is terrible for them so I've been scared to try over 265.

Thanks for the support guys.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whatever happened to your log, Mullet? Are you still hitting the weights?

I can actually catch it, but I do it mainly on my hands which is terrible for them so I've been scared to try over 265.

Thanks for the support guys.
I went to visit my girl and it all went to hell.

I just pulled a 585 with full hold at mid-cap yesterday though. Can't pull too much off of the floor still yet. I'll try and get a vid for you, I want to go for 605 on Sunday. Wish me luck.

I'm sure you'll do good though. All bugging aside, your strong as fvck. Stronger than I P4P.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Haha, top 3 will be tough, for sure.
I've always overestimated my competition, and that's comforting once the competition/sporting event begins, but in the long run I think it screws you up. I think you should go in there expecting to win, and do so, unless it's just ridiculously unrealistic. Do it for Hightower.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I went to visit my girl and it all went to hell.

I just pulled a 585 with full hold at mid-cap yesterday though. Can't pull too much off of the floor still yet. I'll try and get a vid for you, I want to go for 605 on Sunday. Wish me luck.

I'm sure you'll do good though. All bugging aside, your strong as fvck. Stronger than I P4P.
585 is nice, especially if you are still below 180 or so. Throw some vids up some time because I'd be interested in seeing them.

You're probably right, Alex. A training partner should beat me in 3 of the events and be close on the log. Not sure how he'll do on the stones. If I get top 2, I'll try to go to nationals next year just for the hell of it. :head:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
585 is nice, especially if you are still below 180 or so. Throw some vids up some time because I'd be interested in seeing them.

You're probably right, Alex. A training partner should beat me in 3 of the events and be close on the log. Not sure how he'll do on the stones. If I get top 2, I'll try to go to nationals next year just for the hell of it. :head:
I'm about 175 or so right now. I'll see if my buddy can tape it. I need an outsider's opinion on my form anyway.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to think of an attempt scheme for the log. I have 3 attempts. Keep in mind that logs vary a lot, but the diameter of the contest log should be similar to our log. At the contest, belts will be turned backwards so that you cannot hook the belt under the log to help clean it.

Here's what I've done so far:
I can do 265 regularly and clean it without using the assistance of a loop in the belt. I've done 280 using the belt loop to clean it, but I think I can clean it without the loop. I did 295 on a 10'' log last week (contest log is 12'' in diameter).

I'm thinking

1st attempt - 245 for an easy confidence builder.
2nd attempt - 270-275 although I might see how others are doing.
3rd attempt - 285-295 or whatever it takes to win if that's the situation.

Sound reasonable?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the knowable first rep. Builds confidence, limbers you up, and gets some blood flowing.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to think of an attempt scheme for the log. I have 3 attempts. Keep in mind that logs vary a lot, but the diameter of the contest log should be similar to our log. At the contest, belts will be turned backwards so that you cannot hook the belt under the log to help clean it.

Here's what I've done so far:
I can do 265 regularly and clean it without using the assistance of a loop in the belt. I've done 280 using the belt loop to clean it, but I think I can clean it without the loop. I did 295 on a 10'' log last week (contest log is 12'' in diameter).

I'm thinking

1st attempt - 245 for an easy confidence builder.
2nd attempt - 270-275 although I might see how others are doing.
3rd attempt - 285-295 or whatever it takes to win if that's the situation.

Sound reasonable?
That looks good. Are you taking anything before the comp, tyrosine, adrenaline, etc? Do you ever sniff ammonia caps or whatever that crap is? Anyone going to help you, will the x be cheering on "Big Dogg"?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'll take 2 adrenaline beforehand and maybe some L-Tyro. Maybe I'll pop another adrenaline cap after 3 or 4 events. Never tried ammonia caps. I have family who are actually coming as well as my 2 training partners that are competing. I'll try to get vids of my log attempts and the stones for sure. I think the farmer's hold makes for a boring vid so maybe I'll throw up a pic of me all blue faced.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are we talking Epinephrine, or just the trademarked 'Adrenaline'? I've stabbed myself with one of those EpiPens and they are quite the journey.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Adrenaline, by Genera. Whoa, what was the epinephrine journey like>

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quite odd. I used to dabble in a lot of narcotics, E, coke, w/e. One night I was a little too high on E and my vision was poor, and I began fiddling with my girlfriend's EpiPen (bee allergy). I took off all the caps and accidentally touched the automatic release valve and it shot into my palm. Pretty weird stuff.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Quite odd. I used to dabble in a lot of narcotics, E, coke, w/e. One night I was a little too high on E and my vision was poor, and I began fiddling with my girlfriend's EpiPen (bee allergy). I took off all the caps and accidentally touched the automatic release valve and it shot into my palm. Pretty weird stuff.
Crazy bastard.

I also have 4 caps rpm left, an x-force sample, and a venom hyperdrive 3.0 sample, but I think I'll stick with the adrenaline by Genera. I don't like being too stimmed for strongman stuff because my heart feels like it's gonna explode after some of the high rep stuff.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crazy bastard.

I also have 4 caps rpm left, an x-force sample, and a venom hyperdrive 3.0 sample, but I think I'll stick with the adrenaline by Genera. I don't like being too stimmed for strongman stuff because my heart feels like it's gonna explode after some of the high rep stuff.
Do you prefer mental clarity over the 'buzz', Jas? I know when I am going for big DLs (I say that because it's the only exercise I'm strong at, seriously) I prefer to be extremely focused and clear than jittery. I'm like you, I don't like that fluttery heart feeling.

And yeah, I was a weird little guy. **** happens I guess. Haha.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Do you prefer mental clarity over the 'buzz', Jas? I know when I am going for big DLs (I say that because it's the only exercise I'm strong at, seriously) I prefer to be extremely focused and clear than jittery. I'm like you, I don't like that fluttery heart feeling.

And yeah, I was a weird little guy. **** happens I guess. Haha.
jittery does not help deadlift. technique goes to ****.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I thought all you guys need is a few power slaps to the face and some ammonia. Maybe a kick in the nuts, right Buki?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I tend to agree with both of you. On technical lifts, clean n press, snatch, I don't like it. Although my last heavy dead single went well on 5 rpm (but it's not really a jittery one).

But on high reps, it's just too much. I was somewhat stimmed on a long 1 minute truck pull once and it was scary how destroyed I was. My vision went nearly all white for 30 minutes and I couldn't see without sunglasses. It freaked me out a little especially since it was right after Marunde died.

On a simple standing military or BP, I rather enjoy some jitters or stimmed up feeling.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
yeah the kick in the nuts always does the trick for me.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I'll pass on the kick in the nuts. I heard a story about a dude trying to get fired up with ammonia caps and his eyes ended up tearing up really badly. I'd hate to look like I was crying before an event.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I'll pass on the kick in the nuts. I heard a story about a dude trying to get fired up with ammonia caps and his eyes ended up tearing up really badly. I'd hate to look like I was crying before an event.
You would appear as one passionate SOB, or just a basketcase:whiner:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The contest

BW (with 2 layers of clothes): 224

log press (metal, 12'' diameter):
285 - 1st place, Illinois state record (PR)

squat - 405 reps in 60 seconds
12 - tied for 2nd but got 2nd solo because lighter body weight. (PR)

deadlift - 445 for reps in 60 seconds
11 - 5th :frustrate (top 4 were 12,13,13,14) (tied PR)

farmers hold - 275 per hand
47s - 2nd (PR)

225# atlas stone loads to 4' platform in 60s
7 - 2nd (tied PR)

Overall - tied for 2nd (Poly, with JD) but won the tiebreaker of more higher place finishes.

2nd qualified me for nationals in 2008 so I got some more training to do. Overall, about as good of a day as possible and only lost by a point or two to the top guy. I'll put vids up in a few days. Thanks for the support from all you guys around here.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thatta boy! You're still a prick, but thatta boy!

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
FVCK YES!

Now change that damn sig of yours to reflect the new records.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Good job. You hold a state record, in a very functional lift, that's impressive.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. "Big Dogg" had a good day.
I'm glad. I thought Vika might throw you off your game by destroying you with those insults last night. Glad to see you didn't let that mastermind get to you.

Are you going to start training powerlifting style or has this intrigued you to continue training strongman?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Good question Alex. I'm not sure. It's pretty clear that I need to get my deadlift up so I'll definitely be hitting that hard. Maybe I'll stick to as near to strongman as possible in these winter months. One of my training partners is retiring from Strongman training and another is going to focus on PLing for a while so I'll have to figure out a way to train.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm expecting to destroy you at nationals, Alex, so get to work and qualify. ;)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm expecting to destroy you at nationals, Alex, so get to work and qualify. ;)
National Jim Beam chugging contest? Maybe you should hover around 215 and then cut to 200 and be even more successful? Or bulk to 245 and do the same, whichever you feel your frame is better suited for.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Not sure Alex. I want to stay quick and speedy and explosive so I don't know if 245 is wise for the athletic events. I think I might try a contest March 1st with the following events:

Barbell Clean and Press: **
For reps, full clean and press each rep.
60 second time limit.
Press, push press, push jerk or split jerks are allowed.
Presses must start at or below chin level and must be locked out overhead.
DO NOT DROP THE BAR. Lower the bar under control.
Equipment allowed: Belt, elbow sleeves, wrist wraps, chalk.
Equipment NOT allowed: Elbow wraps.
LW: 225, HW: 245, Teen: 185, Women: 115

Box Squat: **
For Max, 3 attempts, ever increasing bar, be prepared to possibly follow yourself.
Wessels Rule will be in effect.
Standard Olympic barbell and power rack.
A box will be set up prior each athletes turn to determine parallel (hip joint at or below knee level)
Must wait for judge’s signal before squatting.
The athlete must squat down to a box, touch the box and squat back up. Athlete may sit on box.
Equipment allowed: Belt, Knee sleeves or wraps.
Equipment NOT allowed: Squat or deadlift suits, groove briefs.

Crucifix Hold: **
One attempt for maximum time.
Standard dumbbells will be used.
Palms must be facing outwards.
Dumbbells must be held out from the sides of the torso at shoulder neck level.
Fists must be no lower than chin level and no higher than fore-head level. Athlete will be given one warning, after which once the plain is broken time stops.
Head, shoulders, and hips must stay in contact with the upright at all times.
Equipment allowed: Wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, belt, chalk.
Equipment NOT allowed: Tacky.
LW: 25, HW: 35, Teen: 25, Women: 15

Pinch Grip Hold:**
One attempt for maximum time.
3 ½” block and loading pin will be used.
Athlete may pick left or right hand to perform lift.
Time starts when the implement is locked out, time stops when the implement hits the ground.
Equipment allowed: Belt, Knee sleeves or wraps, chalk.
Equipment NOT allowed: Tacky.
LW/ HW: 50, Teen: 40, Women: 25

Keg Carry:
One attempt, 60 second time limit.
160’ course with turns at 40’.
Keg may be set down throughout the course. Time stops when keg/ athlete cross the finish.
Distance will be measured if athlete is unable to finish the course.
Keg must be carried to the front of the body. No shouldering, dragging, sliding, or rolling allowed.
Equipment allowed: Belt, Knee sleeves or wraps, arm sleeves. Chalk only.
Equipment NOT allowed: Tacky will NOT be allowed.
LW/ HW: 220, Teen: 190, Women: 130 keg

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
that's a great showing Jas. Congratulations on the PRs, and qualifying for the nationals.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Only LW and HW? I thought it was under 200-LW, under 230-MW, and HW-230+.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Ubi. I appreciate the support.

Depends on the size of the contest. Smaller ones have larger weight classes, ie 230- and 230+. Bigger ones MAY have 175, 200, 230, 265, 300, 300+.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
nice work JAS!:dl:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Buki.

Video TIme:

Log press - 250

405 squat - the box actually looks a little high but I'm not complaining.

Never screamed before this event.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice presses dude, that is some sick drive you have there. Takes alot of core strength I imagine to generate that force.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
445 DL:

275 farmer's hold - pretty boring one

225 atlas stone loads - the video is inverted and I haven't figured out how to fix it.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I would like to point out that jas123 is so strong that he's loading stones sideways on the wall for added difficulty.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice presses dude, that is some sick drive you have there. Takes alot of core strength I imagine to generate that force.
Thanks. Yeah a lot of it's in the core. That dude pacing in the background of the 285 vid tried 300 to beat me but couldn't get it. He won the whole thing though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice work. Something seems off with the squats. I'll have to watch it a few more times. Buki, could probably help you best there. You make the logs look light, add that to yous fvcking mantlepiece.