Jas's Strongman Training log

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Overeem is such a puzzle. He looked great, dominated Buentello, no sign of gassing, finished him with a knee to the mid section.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Shamrock's gonna fight Cung Le next. I'm sorry, I mean in the future, not tonight of course.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, he looked great. I think that Buentello's only dangerous at a distance, though, so he followed a good gameplan of clinch and ground fighting. Those knees looked nasty as hell.

Thanks for the heads up on the stream.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sat - F around day

BW: 225 (different scale - seemed high)

muscular conditioning:
clean and press-
135-15
135-15

neglected bodyparts:
hammer curls
60's-8
60's-7

calf raises

farmer's walk with 100# DBs - 2 sets

Racquetball

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sat - F around day

BW: 225 (different scale - seemed high)

muscular conditioning:
clean and press-
135-15
135-15

neglected bodyparts:
hammer curls
60's-8
60's-7

calf raises

farmer's walk with 100# DBs - 2 sets

Racquetball
Pussy workout:numbered: :run: .............what happened today?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:lol:

My girl wanted to workout but I was still in pain from the DL's. That was all that I could think of to do. Actually high rep clean n jerks are pretty brutal and demanding.

I think this was about equivalent to the usual strongman workout.

calf raises = tire flips?
hammer curls = atlas stones? :twisted:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Monday

morning BW : 222.5
BW at WO - 226 (where is this weight coming from? Water retention from the clout?)

Squats (no box today)
405 - 7 :sad:
315 - 14

Rack squats:
585-1
635-1
675-1

BO rows:
275-7
325-3

GHR (copying Alex and Kabuki)
1 .....? WTF, I'm terrible at these. Guess I need some serious work on my hammies.

hypers

Not sure what's up with the weight. Every time I look at it, it has gone up. I tried 2 "Adrenaline" today before my WO. It was ok, but nothing too special. I took 1 on an empty stomach and then a second 40 min. later with food (wanted to assess tolerance with the first one). I'll try 2 without food unless with food is the way to go (anyone?).

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
yeah those GHR's are tougher than they look. supposed to do wonders for the deadlift:D

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to keep doing those GHR's then.

Wed.

morning BW: 221

power clean to standing military reps:
205 - 6
205 - 5

incline with 1 second pause on chest:
225-10
275-4

snatch:
135-3
155-3
175-3

dips:
BW+135-5
BW+180-3

pullups:

holds with wide end of barbell:
115#
right hand - 37s
left - 40 s

135#
right - 20s
left - 23s

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, I was gonna post here to mention the Texas Method as something that you might enjoy for the press. It assumes that you're an intermediate (i.e., 1 week recovery) on whatever exercise you want to use it for, and I thought you might like it since the method has you doing 1RM/2RM/3RM at the end of every week.

There's a good description of it here.

The idea is to have a high volume/moderate intensity day on Monday, a light recovery day on Wednesday, and a high intensity day on Friday.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, I was gonna post here to mention the Texas Method as something that you might enjoy for the press. It assumes that you're an intermediate (i.e., 1 week recovery) on whatever exercise you want to use it for, and I thought you might like it since the method has you doing 1RM/2RM/3RM at the end of every week.

There's a good description of it here.

The idea is to have a high volume/moderate intensity day on Monday, a light recovery day on Wednesday, and a high intensity day on Friday.
It definitely looks interesting, and I'll be following your log closely to see the results. I think I skipped the intermediate section in Practical Programming so I must have missed it. I'll have to consider the press portion for after the contest. Jeff and I have a race to 250 so I'll be hitting 'em hard for a while.

I like Rippotoe's no f- ing around attitude where you just do like 5 or 6 big lifts.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I like Rippotoe's no f- ing around attitude where you just do like 5 or 6 big lifts.
I was confused about something and couldn't figure it out so I emailed him and he told me to call him. He's a cool guy with a thick southern accent and he does not f- around.

I think that his idea is that once you become an intermediate you should think about specializing your training. I asked him if I should be doing power cleans first and he said sure, if I want to do olympic weight lifting. If I want to get my squat stronger, then I should do squats first.

I like these workouts because they're easy to remember and seemingly effective...I can't keep track of a 50 exercise 5 day body part split on a 500mg/day dog semen cycle with a focus on feather-up-the-ass one-legged bicep curls. Then again, my goal isn't hypertrophy :)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Some personal life stuff:

My girlfriend of around 5 years and I decided to call it quits. It was a mutually agreed upon decision, and things ended on very good terms. I've had feelings that this should happen since May, but I just couldn't fully make up my mind because we had spent so much time together and I worried about regret. We lived about 100 miles from each other for the last 3 years which was a huge pain in the ass. The time spent traveling was a massive source of stress for me because I have so many other things that I'm trying to get done that I need to be in town for. Overall, I mainly feel a sense of relief and I think if anything this will help me focus on my training even more. :thumbsup:

Poly, we may need to try some of the free samples from Undergrad Labs as I don't want to go on an Alexander-esque dry spell...:hammer:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
At least one of us figured his **** out. Congrats on ending it on good terms. One thing that's been on my mind is the fact that grad school (and undergrad) are still times during which people change quite a bit. I'm pretty sure that I'll be a different person 2 years from now, and people that would want to date me now might not like who I become, and vice versa. So maybe having a serious relationship isn't the best idea until one is settled in his ways (have a steady job, etc.). But I'm not sure.

Dating around is cool, of course, as long as the other person isn't being lead on.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Some personal life stuff:

My girlfriend of around 5 years and I decided to call it quits. It was a mutually agreed upon decision, and things ended on very good terms. I've had feelings that this should happen since May, but I just couldn't fully make up my mind because we had spent so much time together and I worried about regret. We lived about 100 miles from each other for the last 3 years which was a huge pain in the ass. The time spent traveling was a massive source of stress for me because I have so many other things that I'm trying to get done that I need to be in town for. Overall, I mainly feel a sense of relief and I think if anything this will help me focus on my training even more. :thumbsup:

Poly, we may need to try some of the free samples from Undergrad Labs as I don't want to go on an Alexander-esque dry spell...:hammer:
Dude, nobody gives a sh*t:yawn:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Just kidding bradda. Sounds like you did the right thing. Sorry about saying she has down syndrome, but that is the only way Mullet's slampoetry would work on her. Any of my ex's would puke in his face:lol: :duel: Funny that you mention an Alexander-esque dry spell, cause I've been catching so much sh*t for that lately at my job and in general. My dad recently jokingly was asking if I'm queer:lol: I may actually have something pretty decent lined up, oh is she gonna take an 'American Me' style pounding:dance:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
At least one of us figured his **** out. Congrats on ending it on good terms. One thing that's been on my mind is the fact that grad school (and undergrad) are still times during which people change quite a bit. I'm pretty sure that I'll be a different person 2 years from now, and people that would want to date me now might not like who I become, and vice versa. So maybe having a serious relationship isn't the best idea until one is settled in his ways (have a steady job, etc.). But I'm not sure.

Dating around is cool, of course, as long as the other person isn't being lead on.
Good post. Respect.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

The early undergrad years are where people drastically change. I guess everyone continues to change from there on out too.

My philosophy is that I'm always open to a serious relationship if the girl is really cool and of course sexy, but I will always be patient and not force something that's not there. If you meet someone and are enjoying the time you have with them then regardless of the outcome, you have gained something.

Your situation sucks Poly, but that's why I would never move in with someone so quickly. :hammer: JK

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Just kidding bradda. Sounds like you did the right thing. Sorry about saying she has down syndrome, but that is the only way Mullet's slampoetry would work on her. Any of my ex's would puke in his face:lol: :duel: Funny that you mention an Alexander-esque dry spell, cause I've been catching so much sh*t for that lately at my job and in general. My dad recently jokingly was asking if I'm queer:lol: I may actually have something pretty decent lined up, oh is she gonna take an 'American Me' style pounding:dance:
I thought about making you feel bad for that comment and then later reveal that I was f-ing with you. I'm not very sensitive about those things, it's the training in the cold weather. It's hardened me.

That's pretty funny about your dad. I haven't really "been out there" in a while, but it seems like it's much harder to meet chicks at the tail end of the twenties. I guess I'll find out.

I'll have to check out this "Amercian Me" movie. :think: Show this chick your O-face. :burg:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Alright, before this thread turns into a Dr. Phil episode let's throw up a couple pump up videos.

522# atlas stone load

Team Log Press (sort of humorous)

finally came across this one (hot chick):

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
The early undergrad years are where people drastically change. I guess everyone continues to change from there on out too.

My philosophy is that I'm always open to a serious relationship if the girl is really cool and of course sexy, but I will always be patient and not force something that's not there. If you meet someone and are enjoying the time you have with them then regardless of the outcome, you have gained something.

Your situation sucks Poly, but that's why I would never move in with someone so quickly. :hammer: JK
Yeah, I think that's a better point of view. No need for the JK at the end of that statement; it's true and I learned my lesson :)

Now let's go and find out what Undergrad labs has to offer!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I thought about making you feel bad for that comment and then later reveal that I was f-ing with you. I'm not very sensitive about those things, it's the training in the cold weather. It's hardened me.

That's pretty funny about your dad. I haven't really "been out there" in a while, but it seems like it's much harder to meet chicks at the tail end of the twenties. I guess I'll find out.

I'll have to check out this "Amercian Me" movie. :think: Show this chick your O-face. :burg:
I can't believe you haven't seen American Me. That's a gem that you missed, you'll like it a lot if you like gangster movies at all. I can tell you're not very sensitive about BS, if you were:type: or:whiner: I would've held back. It's a good thing you let that tard loose, she's probably been holding back your deadlift, whore. I don't think it's any harder in the late twenties, these chicks are horny as hell, I'm just a complete pu*sy:sad:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday

log press (no loop used to aid in the clean)
245-3
255-3
265-1

235# atlas stone (clean it high enough to make it over a bar)

280# farmer's hold - 39.87s PR
230# farmer's hold - 43.56s

It was 32 and rainy today so we trained in a guys garage which wasn't that much warmer. My cleans were really good without the belt loop so I don't think that this will hold me back too much if looping is not allowed. I wasn't getting a very good leg drive on my 255 set, but I seem to have become a master at dipping under the weight to catch it. My 265 rep was very smooth and efficient. I wanted to try more reps at 265 and higher numbers but the risk of running into a garage wall was too high. A training partner tried 265 as well and dropped it rather hard. It broke the log. I think it's repairable but we'll see.

We started doing traditional stone loads over a bar but it was too risky in damaging the house and floor despite the mats we had laid down. We just lifted it high enough to load and then brought it back down gently. 2 sets of stones is tiring as hell. :sick:

Next week we may try to train with a pro in the area, but we'll have to see what happens.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
We started doing traditional stone loads over a bar but it was too risky in damaging the house and floor despite the mats we had laid down. We just lifted it high enough to load and then brought it back down gently. 2 sets of stones is tiring as hell. :sick:
I dare you to bring the equipment to CRCE and train there. I wanna see the staff's faces when you ask for some help in getting the stone into the elevator. Awesome job on the lifts, by the way.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I dare you to bring the equipment to CRCE and train there. I wanna see the staff's faces when you ask for some help in getting the stone into the elevator. Awesome job on the lifts, by the way.
Thanks. Yeah, I'd love to hear that thing drop upstairs.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday

BW: 222.5

squat to 15.5-16'' box
405-10

front squats done explosively:
185-3
205-3

pullups:
wide grip - 15
medium - 15

hypers

I compressed my spine on the fifth rep at 405 and it's killing me now in the spot where I have/had a herniated disc. I think trying to hold the bar lower on the rear delts has made round my back at certain points in the motion. If I was smart then I would have stopped after 5 but I stopped after a fairly easy 10 (maybe 1 or 2 left in the tank). I've had this feeling before and it will get better, but I might have to skip DL this week. :frustrate: Our regular box was missing so I had to use a different one and the lower option was 14'' = groin tear from the way it felt. Anyway it was a little higher this week, but looked exactly parallel in the mirror.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday
I compressed my spine on the fifth rep at 405 and it's killing me now in the spot where I have/had a herniated disc.
Ouch, dude. Maybe you can ask kabuki about his chiropractor sessions? I think that one or two visits might be pretty cheap...

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thursday - Easy on the back day

BW: 222.5

Bench press:
315-7
345-1
365-1
385-1 (ties PR :wtf:)

wide grip pullups : 16
narrow : 17

shoulder assist

What the hell? I've done flat bench only a few times in the last 6 months and I'm having my best day ever? I guess all the log pressing, incline and BW gain must account for it? I'm not complaining though. I've been thinking about raw dogging it at a PL competition in April just for fun since my training partner wanted to DL at it. This is encouraging.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I found out that belts must be turned backwards for the log clean and press so no loop-aided cleans. After last weekend, it doesn't seem like it will have much effect.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday:

800# tire flips:

log press - 10'' steel (might have been 8''?)
275-1 (cleaned without loop)
295-0
295-1
305-0

230# atlas stone load:
3 single reps and a couple failures - slick as hell with all the humidity and temp change

2 50lb scale weights held together
right - 24 s (didn't hold properly)
left - 37 s

Bent a bolt which took a frustratingly long time - maybe 5/16'' grade 5 ?

Tried to bend a horseshoe and failed miserably.

Everything was soaking wet today (even though we were in a garage) which made some events a little tricky. The tire was tough to grab and the stones were damn near impossible. I got pissed and tried to single motion the stone only to have it comically slide from my hands at the top. I think that the log was actually 10'', but I might be wrong.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
There are officially 8 people in my weight class, and I've heard that this is a pretty strong group. 2 are my training partners. One of the guys who has competed in a bunch of contests predicted that these numbers will win the events:

log max-280
Squat 405 x13-15
DL-445 x 16-18
Farmers- 275x 60 sec
Stones- 225x 7 in 60 sec

I should have a good shot at the stones surprisingly if these numbers are accurate. I wasn't really sure what was good.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
There are officially 8 people in my weight class, and I've heard that this is a pretty strong group. 2 are my training partners. One of the guys who has competed in a bunch of contests predicted that these numbers will win the events:

log max-280
Squat 405 x13-15
DL-445 x 16-18
Farmers- 275x 60 sec
Stones- 225x 7 in 60 sec

I should have a good shot at the stones surprisingly if these numbers are accurate. I wasn't really sure what was good.
Sounds to me like you have a really good shot at placing in the top 3 for the whole event. You're near the top/at the top at everything except maybe farmer's, it seems?

Nice job on the intense activities over short amounts of time.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice job on the intense activities over short amounts of time.
:FUfinger: :lol: I won't even comment on the terrible joke you told, 789 boy. :duel:

I think that top 3 might be a long shot because some of the names I've seen have consistently been in the top 3 at contests. JD could definitely win it. Top 2 make nationals next year. I think that I can do middle of the pack at the farmer's.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday

BW - 221.8

Squat to a 14.75'' box (no mirror):
405 - 8 :head:

ATG front squats:
185-3
225-3

rack squats:
585-1
635-1
675-1

BO rows:
225-10
275-6

hypers

My first 3 reps on squat were terrible. I nearly failed on the second. Then I got in the groove and took long breaks between reps. The set probably took 50 seconds. Overall, pretty happy with it. If the first 3 weren't so bad, I would love to see what I could have done.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Nice. So your lower back has pretty much recovered?

Also, how low do you start your rack squats?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's feeling a little tender now, but I think it will hold up. I start my rack squats about an inch or 2 below the bottom of my sternum. It probably amounts to less than a foot of squatting, I'm sure, but it seems to have helped me handle heavier poundages. 675 was fairly easy, but my back was starting to feel strained so I stopped there.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I never noticed you had a strongman training log.. oops.

Skwrawng work!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Ubi.

Wed.

standing military:
215-4
215-3

standing military DBs:
100s - 3

dips:
BW-28
BW-26

shoulder assist

I was a little off on standing military today. I was hoping for a set of 5 at 215.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thurs.

BW: 221.8

#445 DL reps in 60 seconds:
9 (left a few in the tank)

wide grip pullups - 16
medium grip - 16
chinups - 8

Single hand end of barbell hold:
115#
left - 32 s
right - 23 s
135#
left - 21 s
right 17 s

core work

With the contest 9 days away, I wanted to take it easy on the deads. I did 8 in about 20 seconds, dropped it, then did 9 at about the 45 second mark and stopped. I wanted to try this rep scheme instead (where I would do more touch n go reps after 9), and it seemed to work. Not sure what scheme I'll use at the contest since this event is after the squats and I may lack some leg drive off the floor.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday:

In rest mode now since the contest is Saturday, but I'll probably hit the grip a few times and maybe do a little core work this week.

farmer's hold with 275# per hand:
27s
21s

It was extremely cold and all of us did terrible as a result. The contest may be in an unheated warehouse/ machine shed type of place. That will suck as I am admittedly a pansy when it comes to the cold.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sunday:

In rest mode now since the contest is Saturday, but I'll probably hit the grip a few times and maybe do a little core work this week.

farmer's hold with 275# per hand:
27s
21s

It was extremely cold and all of us did terrible as a result. The contest may be in an unheated warehouse/ machine shed type of place. That will suck as I am admittedly a pansy when it comes to the cold.
Oh sh*t, didn't realize the contest was next week. I watched an HBO special about this brit-thug banger that could swim in 35 degree waters in a marble sack like it was nothing. They did tests on him and still couldn't understand how he could keep his core temp so high no matter the conditions. His temp would stay at about 98 for ridiculously long times in 40 degree water. He said it was just mental. I used to be a tremendous b*tch when it came to the cold, ever since watching that I do not get cold. I'm that obnoxious dork that wears shorts and a t-shirt on a 45 degree day. I recommend watching the special before your comp, and crank "No Easy Way Out" in your headphones during the comp. Guaranteed top 3 overall placing. Seriously though, good luck man, bring the Kharitonov attitude with you.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Oh sh*t, didn't realize the contest was next week. I watched an HBO special about this brit-thug banger that could swim in 35 degree waters in a marble sack like it was nothing. They did tests on him and still couldn't understand how he could keep his core temp so high no matter the conditions. His temp would stay at about 98 for ridiculously long times in 40 degree water. He said it was just mental. I used to be a tremendous b*tch when it came to the cold, ever since watching that I do not get cold. I'm that obnoxious dork that wears shorts and a t-shirt on a 45 degree day. I recommend watching the special before your comp, and crank "No Easy Way Out" in your headphones during the comp. Guaranteed top 3 overall placing. Seriously though, good luck man, bring the Kharitonov attitude with you.
Interesting. I'll have to man up then and focus, if it's all in my head. Maybe I'll bring a copy of that Murray/Semtex/Hardy highlight reel for motivation and watch Rocky IV pre-comp.

My goal is to win one event and finish in the top half overall.

It'll be fun to mix up the training when this is done. Like I said before, I don't know if I'll do any strongman training until April or so. My training partner, whose house we've used recently to train in, is retiring from strongman so there really isn't anywhere indoor that I can think of. My second floor apartment with no elevator to transport equip? I'm sure the people below would love it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I'll have to man up then and focus, if it's all in my head. Maybe I'll bring a copy of that Murray/Semtex/Hardy highlight reel for motivation and watch Rocky IV pre-comp.

My goal is to win one event and finish in the top half overall.

It'll be fun to mix up the training when this is done. Like I said before, I don't know if I'll do any strongman training until April or so. My training partner, whose house we've used recently to train in, is retiring from strongman so there really isn't anywhere indoor that I can think of. My second floor apartment with no elevator to transport equip? I'm sure the people below would love it.
Yeah, that brit-thug banger highlight reel is great. Semtex is definitely the star in that one, great music throughout.

Maybe we can do some sort of contest once you stop strongman training. I'm doing a little mini cycle(not anabolic) and am gonna test my deadlift and incline bench in 5 weeks.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck, you pretentious fvck.

;)