In a fist fight...

...would you employ MMA tactics? (i.e. armbars, triangles, etc.)

• Yes

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I'd think people who don't understand it/watch the UFC would look at you weird and would call it undeserved/illegitimate if you won. Then again, you won, and it's anything-goes, right?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Hell yes. The triangle is one of my better setups.

If it's one guy, and he is a better striker... I may even take it to the ground, or pull him into X-guard, and sweep.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
i view it as a, "by any means necessary," situation. in my line of work, the instructors who trained us reiterate this point over and over again. everything is fair game in a fight.

if people will argue that its illegitimate, then they should organize boxing matches. boxing and fighting are very different.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If the fight lasts long enough for you too develop a fight "plan" like im going too do X move, then X move, theres a few options: A, your not in a real fight. B, your going to dominate your opponent no matter what you do. C, you unconscious and its all a dream anyway.

Most fights, in my experience, dont last much past a few well placed punches, most people dont have the stamina to sustain more than a few hits before they either give up, or black out.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I would have no choice but to employ grappling and joint manipulation. Fortunately for me my lower center of gravity as well as the element of surprise seems to work in my favor.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
overhanded right!!! bread and butter! :trout:

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'd just be a keyboard warrior and press the "pwned" and "fail" keys.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
I'd just be a keyboard warrior and press the "pwned" and "fail" keys.
HAHA
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=XqTItdUlJPk&feature=related"]YouTube - Office Worker Goes Insane 2nd angle[/ame]

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I prefer to just shatter their nose ASAP and end it quickly but if it goes to the ground you kind of have to.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
Turn the other cheek..... Just kidding, If you have good stand up w/KO power you shouldn't have to worry to much about sub's. Most guys will fall with one or two good shots. I normally break bones and knock several teeth out with the first one if it lands clean. But if it goes to the ground, I'd rather someone criticise me for using a submission than get my ass kicked, pretty easy choice in my opinion.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I normally knock the guys head off with just the breeze caused by my punch. I'm a bad motherfvcker though.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Turn the other cheek..... Just kidding, If you have good stand up w/KO power you shouldn't have to worry to much about sub's. Most guys will fall with one or two good shots. I normally break bones and knock several teeth out with the first one if it lands clean. But if it goes to the ground, I'd rather someone criticise me for using a submission than get my ass kicked, pretty easy choice in my opinion.
Ya.. if u know what ur doing its kinda easy to knock teeth out..i like to shooting the first punch straight from the hip then overhand right... it usually comes down over their block..it seems like after an initial hit ppl try to catch the next punch by grabbing my fists..lol.. when im on the ground its all about my alligator twist!! lol..i dont fight as a sport, but ihave been in alot of fights and have experiance with being outnumbered(i won in my opinion)..lol... plus i went to a military school

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Any fight I have ever been in with the exception of one I ended up either restraining someone until they apologize/cool down or I ground and pound. I have only ever throwing standing punch once in my life and it dropped the kid right away. Im not really proud of fighting and don't care if someone saying if I won the fight or not, I just care about getting out of problem with my teeth intact. Personally I think there is just to much to risk in a toe to toe stand up street fight, either your going to knock someone out and get arrested or your going to wake up in a holding center with a bump on your head and no clue how you got there.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Wow, everyone on AM is a ground wizard.

But me...

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
In a street fight, I usually try to hold them off or talk them down until my boy CEMO arrives and KO's them all Marlon Sims style.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
In a street fight, I usually try to hold them off or talk them down until my boy CEMO arrives and KO's them all Marlon Sims style.

Good strategy. CEMO starts working his magic after 'taking the back...'

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Good strategy. CEMO starts working his magic after 'taking the back...'
I would innocently grasp your arm, to control you from scaling down my back, then I'd slam your b*tch a$$.

Alright, fvck it, I'd just let you cram it in there. <<<<worst sh*t ever written.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I gotta say, I have too. If it's a 1x1 situation there are plenty of tools that you can use. I will rarely just stand up and exchange, I'll try to take him down most of the times and work from a guard/mount position with him on the ground.

There has been the case where someone tried to tackle me down and I simply took the huge openning for a guilhotine. Its good sometimes because they have no idea what to expect and never know what you can or may want to pull off, its a great advantage using some specific moves.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Usually, I ask them what their experience is in Martial Arts, then I comply with whatever they told me. I mean, if they never trained in grappling, why would I try to choke them?

No, seriously, do what you gotta do.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I tend to use titty twisters, tickling, and a finger in the ass in street fights. :cool:

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I usually just get my ass kicked, then go home and cry and listen to My Chemical Romance.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
With the exception of grabbing the closest brick, anything goes in most fights. Especially when a lot of people are around. You never know who's going to jump in to defend "their boy".

Menacer

Menacer

Awards
The only way to answer the question at hand is to consult the Bible on this subject.
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y"]YouTube - Bas Rutten Street Defense - The Better Version[/ame]

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
With the exception of grabbing the closest brick, anything goes in most fights. Especially when a lot of people are around. You never know who's going to jump in to defend "their boy".
Yes you find new friends and enemies you never knew you had :)

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I don't think I'd be taking it to the ground unless I had some of my friends around.
Otherwise, you'll be looking for submissions and get kicked in the head by his buddies...
Also, what if the guy pulls out a knife?
What if you have a RNC and the dude just bites a chunk out of your arm? do you think you'll be able to hold that choke?
Or if you have the guy in a triangle and he starts gouging out your eyes?
Street fights aren't regulated by rules...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Intimidation works wonders for avoiding fights. I find that if you get into fights too often then you must either be one hell of an ******* and/or one small sommama*****. The fights I have got in were all ground fights. I never thought of them as boxing matches and didn't feel the need to exchange punches to see who could lose more teeth. The moves weren't technical or planned but whatever was needed to get them on the ground and keep them there and to end the fight.

If you have enough fights under your belt to have well thought out plans and advice and you're over 18, you may want to rethink your hobbies :)

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I just pullz outz my 9 and capz them fooz

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think I'd be taking it to the ground unless I had some of my friends around.
Otherwise, you'll be looking for submissions and get kicked in the head by his buddies...
Also, what if the guy pulls out a knife?
What if you have a RNC and the dude just bites a chunk out of your arm? do you think you'll be able to hold that choke?
Or if you have the guy in a triangle and he starts gouging out your eyes?
Street fights aren't regulated by rules...
You can't really bite down too much if you have an RNC locked up because your forearm is underneath their jaw and you are compressing the area. Plus, after about 3-4 seconds, they will be asleep.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
One would rather not be on the ground in a brawl because you are very succeptible to kicks/stomps.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Plus, after about 3-4 seconds, they will be asleep.
You ever knock someone out by suffocating? That **** is scary as hell. Thought I killed a couple of people. If pushed i'll only go as far as getting them fatigued unless I know there's no chance of the fight ending until they can't continue. Not all fights are the kill or be killed types... but some definitely are.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
Intimidation works wonders for avoiding fights. I find that if you get into fights too often then you must either be one hell of an ******* and/or one small sommama*****. The fights I have got in were all ground fights. I never thought of them as boxing matches and didn't feel the need to exchange punches to see who could lose more teeth. The moves weren't technical or planned but whatever was needed to get them on the ground and keep them there and to end the fight.

If you have enough fights under your belt to have well thought out plans and advice and you're over 18, you may want to rethink your hobbies :)
I have to disagree with you Jay, most of the fights I have been in have ended very quickly standing up. I guess it all depends on your talents so to speak. I would rather stand than go to the ground any day, but if it does and you manage to be on top, grabbing your opponents head and smashing it into the concrete is a pretty good place to start:thumbsup:.
Thats what alot of guys don't think about is the fact that its not a controlled environment and there are many different elements involved.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You ever knock someone out by suffocating? That **** is scary as hell. Thought I killed a couple of people. If pushed i'll only go as far as getting them fatigued unless I know there's no chance of the fight ending until they can't continue. Not all fights are the kill or be killed types... but some definitely are.
Yeah, I guillotined a guy when I was 18 until he passed out because he didn't tap. I didn't know anything about subs then so I thought I killed him. Scared the sh1t out of me. He was a friend too, and we were just grappling.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I guillotined a guy when I was 18 until he passed out because he didn't tap. I didn't know anything about subs then so I thought I killed him. Scared the sh1t out of me. He was a friend too, and we were just grappling.
Same thing happened to me, but it was a RNC, or more of a Newton on Miletich choke. I only applied it for 1 maybe 2 seconds and he dropped. I was hammered so I wasn't too worried about it:lol::think:

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
like my friend chris rock said.. you got pecs? i got techs!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless caught off guard I haven't seen many 1/2 punch combos take a guy down. I don't think i've ever seen a fight NOT go to the ground that wasn't a "jump". Gotta love Chicago lol. I agree that when in a fight that isn't a competition; anything goes.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't want you to think there were no punches thrown but my punches were thrown in a controlled environment. They were under my control. No chances for not landing a punch and getting ****ed :) Those were my younger days though.

I find if you don't go looking for a fight and you're not a **** trying to push someone into starting a fight, you won't fight too often. Also for those in a career field and don't want to waste money in law suits, medical bills and citations, it's best to get your anger out in other constructive ways!

Like Call of Duty 4 on PS3! Look me up Jayhawkk

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I find if you don't go looking for a fight and you're not a **** trying to push someone into starting a fight, you won't fight too often. Also for those in a career field and don't want to waste money in law suits, medical bills and citations, it's best to get your anger out in other constructive ways!
Yeah, that's pretty much true. There haven't been too many times when I've nearly gotten into a fight since college.

Last time I got in a fight, I had to worry about getting sued for substantial dental damages. It isn't worth it.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I gotta say I have... One time I was standing with this guy and he decided to tackle me. Then proceeded to punch me while I had him on my guard.

I moved him away from me with my feet, got my leg up and had him on a triangle (which btw, even when I didn't have him on a position to "win" the fight, it was extremely useful to dodge his punches since he had no leverage at all). As i squeezed the triangle i noticed he was losing it and going to sleep. When he was out I switched from having him on my guard to mount on him with a triangle still in place, to which he had no real choice besides pack up and go home, since he was quite out after going to sleep. At that point there was nothing else he could do... If he decided to counter-attack, Id just need to squeeze a little more; he couldn't punch; he couldn't try most of the things as he had just woken up and had no real blood to think. So even though he wasnt' asleep no more, i still had control over the situation.

It may not have rules, but if you put someone to sleep or almost break their limbs, the chance that they'll just walk away is very high, I'd say.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
You can't really bite down too much if you have an RNC locked up because your forearm is underneath their jaw and you are compressing the area. Plus, after about 3-4 seconds, they will be asleep.
Yes, that's once the choke is "locked up."
How often is a RNC instantly "on" especially in a street fight?
If you already have the guy's back, why bother with the RNC? Get up and leave.
If you want to hurt him, slam his face into the ground or get up and kick him.
Also, say you have the choke on...the guy could grab your nuts and squeeze, reach behind and go for your eyes, stab you, etc...
I wouldn't waste time with subs unless it was some drunk guy, otherwise you might get killed going for one.