Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Things going well in Ohio, got here yesterday late afternoon. Wife didn’t have to water load or sweat, just fasted in the evening and kept the day very sparse. Weighins this morning went great; we popped into the Expo for 15 minutes after and watched a woman squat 600x2 raw & beltless - the Animal Cage is right when you walk in, and they’re doing it big with coming back this year!

Wife is feeling pretty good & ready to rock, my son is having a great time, and looking forward to an exciting wild day tomorrow.
That is pretty insane. Sometimes I get more impressed with what some of the women can do than the men. Craziness.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
2024 Arnold was really popping; finally truly back to its pre-COVID glory as far as brand & attendee presence. Saw a ton of great lifters and cool personalities bopping around at random points, which really makes it feel special - there is a universally understanding that THIS is the spot. All come here. The 3 people I saw who I wished I had been able to stop and meet when I saw them were George Halbert, Ryan Kennelly, and AJ Roberts. I also missed Kyriakos Grizzly, sadly ; he was not at the booth when we had time to get to it - he was signing all of the merch for his fans.

It always amazes me how short the bodybuilders & lower weight class strength athletes are in real life, and how big some of the heavy classes of athletes are. Other impressions were just how much people seemed to be enjoying this year. It was a very positive vibe, the vendors were giving more stuff out and a bit better deals again it seemed like. The Animal Cage was really back and hit hard - we were so busy I missed almost all of it, but I did get to watch Alex Charchuk pull 804 for a double conventional, missing the 3rd rep at his knees. Then he pulled 675x8 after that! The hype was high, free tshirts were flying - I got one for my stepdaughter. There was some amazing lifting over the weekend across the different events.

My wife placed very poorly, 14/16, but Saturday was a great contest & we had a lot of fun. I think the best she did in any event was 9th. She had ZERO back pain and continues to feel good post show. This was a huge win contextually, considering she wasn’t able to even walk right 3 weeks ago. Based on the scores, I think if she had been able to train the last 3 weeks the most she could have likely achieved was 9-10th place; the 160lb amateur women at the top this year were just that good. For perspective, the woman who took LAST place I’ve seen axle deadlift 405x8 from 4” blocks in a previous contest. My wife hit a PR squat, doing 252x11 paused Anderson squats on the lever machine with the Kabuki Transformer bar set on the Hi Bar setting!

All in all it was a good Arnold, but hopefully next year we can leave my son with his grandparents so we can get a bit more of the festival experience.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some Arnold deals I’m pretty excited about:

IMG_9236.JPG

$20 for 2 bottles of Ward ammonia, which kicked ass when I benched 405

$20 for any Ninja Supp’s product; Ninja Mode looks like an awesome energy/focus blend for training so I grabbed one to test.

$100 for an XL Darksyde Double-ply Assassin Band - this was truly an impulse buy, but after talking with the owner I am pretty excited to play with it. This would be comparable to the F8 Widowmaker band. The owner told me I won’t need to change my bar path at all, and we went with XL to keep it milder (and so I can get my hands in position solo). He felt this would be perfect to get into for my strength level.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Some Arnold deals I’m pretty excited about:

View attachment 240653

$20 for 2 bottles of Ward ammonia, which kicked ass when I benched 405

$20 for any Ninja Supp’s product; Ninja Mode looks like an awesome energy/focus blend for training so I grabbed one to test.

$100 for an XL Darksyde Double-ply Assassin Band - this was truly an impulse buy, but after talking with the owner I am pretty excited to play with it. This would be comparable to the F8 Widowmaker band. The owner told me I won’t need to change my bar path at all, and we went with XL to keep it milder (and so I can get my hands in position solo). He felt this would be perfect to get into for my strength level.
Nice summary of the Arnold and some good grabs! I ended up only buying a few small things this time around, some PB2 (one of which got confiscated by TSA believe it or not) and a Gym Reapers hat. Would've been great to meet up, but next time!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Between the travel, comp, and bloodwork this morning, I’ve knocked out 3 intermittent fasts ranging from 18-22 hours that set up some pretty decent caloric restriction since Wednesday. I was ~254-255lbs when we left Thursday, and 251 late this morning.

Took this Thursday afternoon fasted at the hotel:

IMG_9212.JPG

Also, BP this morning with no meds was 125/75 and pulse of 58.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dang man sounds like a great time, glad to hear your wife was feeling better and got to compete, I feel like that is a solid effort!
Also looking leaner and massive!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2024 Arnold was really popping; finally truly back to its pre-COVID glory as far as brand & attendee presence. Saw a ton of great lifters and cool personalities bopping around at random points, which really makes it feel special - there is a universally understanding that THIS is the spot. All come here. The 3 people I saw who I wished I had been able to stop and meet when I saw them were George Halbert, Ryan Kennelly, and AJ Roberts. I also missed Kyriakos Grizzly, sadly ; he was not at the booth when we had time to get to it - he was signing all of the merch for his fans.

It always amazes me how short the bodybuilders & lower weight class strength athletes are in real life, and how big some of the heavy classes of athletes are. Other impressions were just how much people seemed to be enjoying this year. It was a very positive vibe, the vendors were giving more stuff out and a bit better deals again it seemed like. The Animal Cage was really back and hit hard - we were so busy I missed almost all of it, but I did get to watch Alex Charchuk pull 804 for a double conventional, missing the 3rd rep at his knees. Then he pulled 675x8 after that! The hype was high, free tshirts were flying - I got one for my stepdaughter. There was some amazing lifting over the weekend across the different events.

My wife placed very poorly, 14/16, but Saturday was a great contest & we had a lot of fun. I think the best she did in any event was 9th. She had ZERO back pain and continues to feel good post show. This was a huge win contextually, considering she wasn’t able to even walk right 3 weeks ago. Based on the scores, I think if she had been able to train the last 3 weeks the most she could have likely achieved was 9-10th place; the 160lb amateur women at the top this year were just that good. For perspective, the woman who took LAST place I’ve seen axle deadlift 405x8 from 4” blocks in a previous contest. My wife hit a PR squat, doing 252x11 paused Anderson squats on the lever machine with the Kabuki Transformer bar set on the Hi Bar setting!

All in all it was a good Arnold, but hopefully next year we can leave my son with his grandparents so we can get a bit more of the festival experience.
Hey man, zero pain for the win! That’s quite the experience as well one could imagine

That’s a badass looking bench tool, haven’t heard of that one but can’t wait for you to slang it and give some feedback.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Glad you guys had a great time, and that your wife’s back didn’t give her any trouble. Sounds like the competition was intense, but your wife is a trooper for going ahead and competing after having an injury only a few weeks ago….that’s what champions are made of.
You’re looking massive at 251, and you can see your abs trying to peep through in that picture.💪

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I can't remember, did she compete in this event last year? Sure 14th isn't podium, but it seems like this event is going to attract the best of the best in class? I would think not taking last is kind of an accomplishment if you aren't a sponsored full time paid to be there athlete....

Nice summary of the Arnold and some good grabs! I ended up only buying a few small things this time around, some PB2 (one of which got confiscated by TSA believe it or not) and a Gym Reapers hat. Would've been great to meet up, but next time!
I really got to get to this event one year, it looks like an absolute blast. BTW Travel hack, I never check a bag, unless I'm bringing something home I'm afraid could get confiscated, lol. Then straight into the check luggage. Everyone was saying their conch shells from the Caribbean were getting confiscated by Mexican security so I checked my carry-on when we came home, no problems, lol.

Between the travel, comp, and bloodwork this morning, I’ve knocked out 3 intermittent fasts ranging from 18-22 hours that set up some pretty decent caloric restriction since Wednesday. I was ~254-255lbs when we left Thursday, and 251 late this morning.

View attachment 240660

Looking good homie, great stats too. I'm a bit envious of how well you can hold that extra weight.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks everyone!

I can't remember, did she compete in this event last year? Sure 14th isn't podium, but it seems like this event is going to attract the best of the best in class? I would think not taking last is kind of an accomplishment if you aren't a sponsored full time paid to be there athlete....

I really got to get to this event one year, it looks like an absolute blast. BTW Travel hack, I never check a bag, unless I'm bringing something home I'm afraid could get confiscated, lol. Then straight into the check luggage. Everyone was saying their conch shells from the Caribbean were getting confiscated by Mexican security so I checked my carry-on when we came home, no problems, lol.
She took 5th out of 9 last year, missed the final by only 1 point. This year the girl one place ahead of her last year only beat her by 1.5 points, and was in 13th, one spot ahead again. Last year was the first year offered for the 160lb class, where my wife won Nationals in it. I think the class has just grown, as far as competitors moving into it. Bigger talent pool at really a very competitive size for women.

The women who placed higher, none of them are “sponsored athletes” who are supported seriously by companies. Most of these women have equipment sponsors and such, my wife has had this, but we’re talking a grand in merch - not tens of thousands to live on. There’s no real money in strongman, so everyone has to work & train around that.

This is the highest level contest in the world for the 160 women, no Pro class as of yet (the way 140 & 180 have), so everyone there was really the best there is at this weight over the last year. One of the women squatted the 320 trump weight for 23 reps in a minute, up & down commands. Like wtf!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/5/24
BW 250.8 yesterday

Band Pullaparts, Tris, Flyes, Presses

Bench
45x10,5
135,185x5
225x3
275x2
315x1
+Assassin Bands
315,345,375,405,425x3 PR
455x1 PR
495 MISS

Planned on doing a full training session today and just feeling out the Assassin Band, but I think the guys at the gym really wanted to see what this thing could do even more than I did - they pushed me to take it to the limit. 455 was an easy smooth 15lb equipped PR, and it was easier than the 425 triple, so we put 5 plates on the bar and gave it a ride! As soon as it came off the bands, it died - 495 was simply overwhelming. I expect 465 or 475 would have gone up, but my triceps are not ready for 500.

The muscles on my hand between pointer finger & thumb are SO sore! Holding this weight in my hands gives a different perspective. But nothing else is sore, nothing muscular really feels worked, besides maybe traps. Normal training resumes tomorrow!

IMG_9243.JPG

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bigger talent pool at really a very competitive size for women.
oh for sure. that's like xfit comps with the 5'10 - 5'11 195lb dudes. big enough for a 500lb pull and small enough for ring work/1 mile sprints. 160lb women are beasts of lifters.

One of the women squatted the 320 trump weight for 23 reps in a minute, up & down commands. Like wtf!!!
now I want to see you do that!

455 was an easy smooth 15lb equipped PR, and it was easier than the 425 triple, so we put 5 plates on the bar and gave it a ride!
😅😅 dude that's wild!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
now I want to see you do that!
I legitimately don’t believe I could right now. I just don’t have the cardiovascular capacity. Things always seem to gas out by the 15 rep mark on squats for me.

Fun session and nice PR! Pretty hefty jump there for the last one I do gotta say. But now your mind knows what 500 feels like
Yeah it was wild - it felt so heavy in my hands, but everything we kept putting on this thing just seemed to get blown right back up!

495 shuddered on the way down; I lost my upper back tightness for half a moment as it kind of crushed me. Recovered it before the bottom, but it was just a lot to wrangle right now.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I legitimately don’t believe I could right now. I just don’t have the cardiovascular capacity. Things always seem to gas out by the 15 rep mark on squats for me.
my ex and I used to throw down a most reps at bodyweight squat challenge to each other and even at say 190lbs breaking 20reps+ was challenging the cardio and the puke lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Most impressive widow maker I have ever done was 285x20 and that was brutal.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Most impressive widow maker I have ever done was 285x20 and that was brutal.
I know I’ve done Boxsquats with ~225 and like 100 or so chain for 20, and Beltsquat 360+microbands for 20 to a box, but I think for a proper free squat I might have only done 275? Not 100%, but I can say the freesquat where you cannot rest at the bottom is definitely harder. The box you can cheat and sit on.

It doesn’t feel like cheating at the time, just surviving, but with a free squat there’s absolutely nothing saving you!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I know I’ve done Boxsquats with ~225 and like 100 or so chain for 20, and Beltsquat 360+microbands for 20 to a box, but I think for a proper free squat I might have only done 275? Not 100%, but I can say the freesquat where you cannot rest at the bottom is definitely harder. The box you can cheat and sit on.

It doesn’t feel like cheating at the time, just surviving, but with a free squat there’s absolutely nothing saving you!
I did that Sally Get Up challenge once with 135lbs and that was enough to make my legs cry.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/6/24

Bench
45x10
135,205x5
275,310x1
255 5x8

Deadlift, stiff bar
135x5
225,315,385x3
+belt
415,465x3
385 3x3

NG Med Grip Lat Pulldown
77,99x15
121 1x15, 6x10

NG Med Grip Seated Low Cable Row
110 5x15

BB Wristcurls
40 2x20 supinated
40 1x15 pronated

Had to drive to HQ today and it was a long one trying to cut through red tape just to work on junk. Anyway, I knew it wasn’t going to be a PR kind of late night, so I just focused on getting some quality work in. 40 reps at 70% TM on bench to back up yesterday’s ME, pulled a triple at 85% plus some technical work, then lots of lats.

Time for a pork steak, then lights out.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

View attachment 240660

Looking fit mate! Great numbers for bp and hr!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
3/5/24
BW 250.8 yesterday

Band Pullaparts, Tris, Flyes, Presses

Bench
45x10,5
135,185x5
225x3
275x2
315x1
+Assassin Bands
315,345,375,405,425x3 PR
455x1 PR
495 MISS

Planned on doing a full training session today and just feeling out the Assassin Band, but I think the guys at the gym really wanted to see what this thing could do even more than I did - they pushed me to take it to the limit. 455 was an easy smooth 15lb equipped PR, and it was easier than the 425 triple, so we put 5 plates on the bar and gave it a ride! As soon as it came off the bands, it died - 495 was simply overwhelming. I expect 465 or 475 would have gone up, but my triceps are not ready for 500.

The muscles on my hand between pointer finger & thumb are SO sore! Holding this weight in my hands gives a different perspective. But nothing else is sore, nothing muscular really feels worked, besides maybe traps. Normal training resumes tomorrow!

View attachment 240671
Balls deep!! Nice! Congrats on the PR!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/8/24

Incline 2-Boardpress
45,95x20
105x18
115x16

Klokov Press
45x20
55,65,75x15

BB Row
135 4x15

Shrugs
135x20
225 2x20

Band Pullaparts
Monstermini 3x34

Williams Raises
45 2x15

One-arm Cable Tri Pressdown
20 2x25/arm overhand
20 3x15/arm underhand

Band Curls
Mini 3x25

I’ve benched plenty this week, so just tried to find some shoulder and arm work that wouldn’t aggravate my elbow. Also tested out barbell rows, but still can’t do the movement without rolling my left shoulder back/pulling with my trap instead of further bending my elbow. I am concentrating intently but still have no idea it’s even happening except by filming it. So those are still not a good tool for me, but fortunately you don’t have to do them in contest!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
BLOODWORK

Came back looking pretty good. My blood is thick - 6.3 RBC, 18.9 HGB, 55 HCT. But platelets are a mild 290, bp is good, I take Nattokinase, so I’m not worried about clotting or a cardiac event. Ferritin is only 42, so I don’t want to donate just yet. That will definitely take iron storage back out of range if I do.

Kidney function based on eGFR is significantly higher than I’ve ever seen it since adding Kidney Assist XT. It was 83 a week into Trest Ace, which is already the best I ever see it normally, and 7.5 weeks post cycle it was 92. I’ve never seen 90s on my eGFR.

I also got Cystatin C drawn, and calculating GFR off that I actually have a score of 112! Pretty cool, and why it’s important to ideal for a muscular individual instead of relying on creatinine & BUN.

Fasting blood sugar is also down 10 whole points, usually 91 but it was 81 on a standard 12 hour fast. My body seems to be using carbs better lately, so I’m not surprised. I believe this is from the routine intermittent fasting I have been doing majority of days per week lately, keeping eating window under 10 hours. Trigs are solid at 82.

HDL is 37, LDL is 111. Which is “good enough”, but not something I want to impact at all - I am scared to even add any Masteron right now. Today is 8 weeks on just 150-180 test e/wk, so my plan is to start titrating that up slightly & add Tamoxifen if needed (as opposed to using an AI, as Nolva can actually improve HDL).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I also finally ordered an online sleep study today. My bloodwork this time last year shows totally in range blood thickness on twice the gear use, BUT I was 25lbs lighter. So I suspect the polycythemia vera is being driven primarily from sleep apnea, and will continue as long as I maintain higher bodyweights.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
BLOODWORK

Came back looking pretty good. My blood is thick - 6.3 RBC, 18.9 HGB, 55 HCT. But platelets are a mild 290, bp is good, I take Nattokinase, so I’m not worried about clotting or a cardiac event. Ferritin is only 42, so I don’t want to donate just yet. That will definitely take iron storage back out of range if I do.

Kidney function based on eGFR is significantly higher than I’ve ever seen it since adding Kidney Assist XT. It was 83 a week into Trest Ace, which is already the best I ever see it normally, and 7.5 weeks post cycle it was 92. I’ve never seen 90s on my eGFR.

I also got Cystatin C drawn, and calculating GFR off that I actually have a score of 112! Pretty cool, and why it’s important to ideal for a muscular individual instead of relying on creatinine & BUN.

Fasting blood sugar is also down 10 whole points, usually 91 but it was 81 on a standard 12 hour fast. My body seems to be using carbs better lately, so I’m not surprised. I believe this is from the routine intermittent fasting I have been doing majority of days per week lately, keeping eating window under 10 hours. Trigs are solid at 82.

HDL is 37, LDL is 111. Which is “good enough”, but not something I want to impact at all - I am scared to even add any Masteron right now. Today is 8 weeks on just 150-180 test e/wk, so my plan is to start titrating that up slightly & add Tamoxifen if needed (as opposed to using an AI, as Nolva can actually improve HDL).
Glad to hear all is well on the bloodwork!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This reminds me I need to get bloods pulled!

Might have to order some kidney assist also!
8 point increase in 13.5 weeks, with the first 6 of those powerbulking on Trest Ace & low doses of Tren, Dbol, or Anadrol!

Also note that I previously used over half of these ingredients already when you see the eGFR of 79 in May ‘23, and was on milder gear then than the 84 in December ‘23. So this to me also speaks to the potency/quality of the SNS product’s ingredients compared to brands on Amazon (and I had been very selective about the companies I was using for those ingredients).

*Note the 113 is also March ‘24, because that is the one based on Cystatin C. The 92 on March ‘24 is based on creatinine & urea, like the previous 79 & 84 draws were.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hyde what are these ^^^
Like a Tate press or something?
These are just front raises done with a plate, taken above the forehead level - Williams is much faster to type in my notes. Jim was huge on them, doing 10x10 with a hundo plate routinely when he at his strongest.

The Tate Press is something the internet started calling Williams Extensions when they happened to see Dave doing them 30 years later, unaware of the history.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/10/24
BW 253.0

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift
Rotator & Rear Delt warmup
BW Squats

Squat, stiffbar
45,135x5
225,315x3
405x1 w/ deadlift belt
335 5x5 in 12 minutes

Stiffleg Deadlifts
225,295x2
325 3x8 w/straps

NG Chins
4x9,9,9,7

Hoist Cable Mid Row
105,125x20

First squats in 2 weeks & first time using a straight bar in many moons. Felt easy, probably easier on my elbow than the Duffalo bar as well. Busted my ass for work density, grooving technique, & CAT - all squatting was done in under 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, this created quite a fueling dilemma for the rest of the session - low blood sugar had me shaking after my third set of stiff legs, so I moved on to chins. Same thing after 3 sets of those. I haven’t been doing any L-Carnitine, but I will definitely the next time I squat to help endurance.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
3/10/24
BW 253.0

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-leg Deadlift
Rotator & Rear Delt warmup
BW Squats

Squat, stiffbar
45,135x5
225,315x3
405x1 w/ deadlift belt
335 5x5 in 12 minutes

Stiffleg Deadlifts
225,295x2
325 3x8 w/straps

NG Chins
4x9,9,9,7

Hoist Cable Mid Row
105,125x20

First squats in 2 weeks & first time using a straight bar in many moons. Felt easy, probably easier on my elbow than the Duffalo bar as well. Busted my ass for work density, grooving technique, & CAT - all squatting was done in under 20 minutes.

Unfortunately, this created quite a fueling dilemma for the rest of the session - low blood sugar had me shaking after my third set of stiff legs, so I moved on to chins. Same thing after 3 sets of those. I haven’t been doing any L-Carnitine, but I will definitely the next time I squat to help endurance.
That’s some serious squats in a short order of time! Do you wear knee sleeves every time you squat?

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was already sore yesterday afternoon from this training, and today the DOMS is even worse. Quads, hips, knees, abs all remarkably cooked
Like akboom said that is a lot of squats in a short time period, and when you look at the amount of weight volume in that short time period, and add in the rest of the workout, I’m not surprised that your lower body and abs are cooked. Ha, I would have trouble walking for a couple of days. Actually I’m always impressed with your total weight volume in your workouts, but that’s what it takes to hit the powerlifting totals you lift. 💪😎

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s some serious squats in a short order of time! Do you wear knee sleeves every time you squat?
Virtually always. Not actually during that one, because I had sweatpants & shirt on in a heated gym with the fast pace and the weight was also so light for me. But it is imperative to me to keep the knees warm & full of blood, both for comfort/safety when training and for better recovery/less inflammation after.

Most of the time I wear very old Rehband 7mm neoprene sleeves. When I get close to a meet I switch to tighter more aggressive style of neoprene that was the new thing a few years back. I have never tried the really hardcore ones all the kids today seem to have - those are $130, very difficult to get on, and apparently wear out after a couple training cycles.

Like akboom said that is a lot of squats in a short time period, and when you look at the amount of weight volume in that short time period, and add in the rest of the workout, I’m not surprised that your lower body and abs are cooked. Ha, I would have trouble walking for a couple of days. Actually I’m always impressed with your total weight volume in your workouts, but that’s what it takes to hit the powerlifting totals you lift.
Thanks man; it was hard work for me!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Went in to bench yesterday morning. Snoozed accidentally for an hour, felt like hell, everything aching. Got to gym late exhausted, did twice the warmups & absolutely nothing ever felt right. Elbow was just not having it. Other than warming up to a single at 305 on bench over a million sets, I didn’t do any actual training. I finished my rehab work and left to fight another day.

Another day of rest and some mobility work later, and looking forward to hitting that session tonight.

Wife actually woke me due to my snoring the night before. Really looking forward to doing my home sleep study this week & keep the ball rolling towards getting an APAP machine. Not looking forward to wearing it, but I believe this is part of what it will take for me to get to that next level.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Went in to bench yesterday morning. Snoozed accidentally for an hour, felt like hell, everything aching. Got to gym late exhausted, did twice the warmups & absolutely nothing ever felt right. Elbow was just not having it. Other than warming up to a single at 305 on bench over a million sets, I didn’t do any actual training. I finished my rehab work and left to fight another day.

Another day of rest and some mobility work later, and looking forward to hitting that session tonight.

Wife actually woke me due to my snoring the night before. Really looking forward to doing my home sleep study this week & keep the ball rolling towards getting an APAP machine. Not looking forward to wearing it, but I believe this is part of what it will take for me to get to that next level.
Better than going against the grain and jacking up muscles and tendons.

Let me know how your sleep study goes! I’d kill for a cpap. You going through insurance provider or you find a loophole?

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Hopefully everything works out in your sleep study and they get you a machine. It’s rough when you really want to get your workout in, but are already exhausted. Like SkRaw said better to be cautious than to push through and injure something.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Virtually always. Not actually during that one, because I had sweatpants & shirt on in a heated gym with the fast pace and the weight was also so light for me. But it is imperative to me to keep the knees warm & full of blood, both for comfort/safety when training and for better recovery/less inflammation after.

Most of the time I wear very old Rehband 7mm neoprene sleeves. When I get close to a meet I switch to tighter more aggressive style of neoprene that was the new thing a few years back. I have never tried the really hardcore ones all the kids today seem to have - those are $130, very difficult to get on, and apparently wear out after a couple training cycles.
I was looking at these on Elites site and they are on sale, I don’t know how much of a difference 5mm- 7mm feels.

These that are 5mm can you wear them the whole time at the gym or is it to uncomfortable?

Last edited:

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Better than going against the grain and jacking up muscles and tendons.

Let me know how your sleep study goes! I’d kill for a cpap. You going through insurance provider or you find a loophole?
I got mine years ago on craigslist, and looking in my area still shows a lot of options on there. I did qualify for one via my Dr but it was cheaper to buy it myself then use insurance at the time lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Going out of pocket. “According to Google” the average cost of a CPAP is about a grand or so, and a few hundred a year in supplies. I probably spend that much on gear it feels like! Definitely more than that on supplements. So I don’t see a need to be micromanaged by insurance, logging nights of sleep, etc.

The home study is only $189 ♂

I was looking at these on Elites site and they are on sale, I don’t know how much of a difference 5mm- 7mm feels.

These that are 5mm can you wear them the whole time at the gym or is it to uncomfortable?View attachment 240842
Yep, the Rehbands I can. They’re perfect to pull on and keep on for a couple hours; the goal is knee comfort, not squat assistance.

I got mine years ago on craigslist, and looking in my area still shows a lot of options on there. I did qualify for one via my Dr but it was cheaper to buy it myself then use insurance at the time lol.
Yeah I did look here, but there’s nothing in central IL - I would have to drive 2.5 hours to Chicago, Indy, or STL and hope I don’t get a gun pulled on me lol. Prices were also around $500+, so not necessarily good for used units.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yep, the Rehbands I can. They’re perfect to pull on and keep on for a couple hours; the goal is knee comfort, not squat assistance.
I don’t really have knee issues but I want to avoid that!
Next question I have is the size. I go by there chart I’m 17 inches around the knee so thinking 2x.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don’t really have knee issues but I want to avoid that!
Next question I have is the size. I go by there chart I’m 17 inches around the knee so thinking 2x.
Sounds about right. If between sizes on things always go up if comfort is priority, like here. But they have been making these forever so trust the size recommendations.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/13/24
BW 252.2

Bench
45,45,135,205x5
275,325x1
260x8,8,8,7,9

Smith Low Incline
+90x18,19,20

Dips
BW 3x15

NG Midgrip Lat Pulldowns
77,110x12
143,165x10
187x8

Reverse Pec Deck
100x15
120,140x12

EZBar Curls
30 2x12 slow

My son came home from school acting normally, then probably 90 minutes before this session he rapidly developed a 101-102 fever - lots of RSV & some Influenza A going around his school. When we forced some ibuprofen on him he immediately threw up, so that made it a mental battle to leave to train. He was in good hands resting with my wife, but my mind was heavy & she really had to urge me to leave.

I’m glad I did - sometimes you have to accept that worrying can’t change anything, so the best thing for me to be able to care for him tomorrow is to try to keep up my self care. Went to the commercial gym, put on my earbuds & dug into the work (while I don’t yet have this flu I might end up with).

Wife kept me updated: his fever was hanging 100-101 with no ibuprofen and he went to bed well. Hopefully his fever will break overnight and I can keep him well hydrated tomorrow.