Douchebags at the gym...

ForumUser

Awards
Serious? Even with benching? I thought the leg drive was important, and for safety as well.

I am not putting my legs up in the air while in the gym like that LOL
I think leg drive is important when pushing heavier weight, but this is for core/stability or something.

I'm still not doing this

TeamTGB

TeamTGB

Awards
Serious? Even with benching? I thought the leg drive was important, and for safety as well.

I am not putting my legs up in the air while in the gym like that LOL
Its meant to hit more stabilizers helping build a better structure or base when going for a heavier movement where your feet are planted, but i agree as well not gonna be doing that in any gym lol

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
So.. I am starting to see this a LOT at my gym. Why do guys press like this??

Because they are ignorant, and they probably saw someone that was bigger than them doing it! It does not help you hit more stabilizers(well that depends on what stabilizers your talking about)! Lololol

"Im gonna hold my legs up while i benchpress so i can help hit my infraspinatus" SAID NO-ONE EVER!! Lololol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My favorite way to hit my stabilizers is to use more weight. I will bench with my feet up when my back hurts, though.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Maybe I was the douche....... I don't know!

A kid was benching on the smith machine. Some Xmas tree looking plates! I'm guessing a 45, a 25, a 10, and 2x5s. He unracks and nope, it's not going up. I'm thinking to myself, "eh, I'll let him try then go over and pull it off of him!" Struggling, struggling, and nope, he can't push it up enough to rack it. It's literally on his chest and I know he's freaking out. Finally I walk over right before he slips out from under the bar, letting the weights slam on the bench.

2 other guys saw me rush over and they rushed to help him as well. No thank you, no nothing. He gave us this look like wtf are you guys doing? You're embarrassing me and I got this sh*t. I knew one of the guys and just gave him this "you see that effn sh*t look." He even apologized to the kid saying, "aww, man, I'm sorry, I was busy spotting my wife and didn't see you struggling." Still no thank you.
I was benching like only 225 once and my elbow gave out and I couldn't get it back on the rack.. I had to yell at some guy to come help me lol it was so embarassing.

MBZ

Awards
Hey it happens man. When I first started lifting I let my ego get the best of me and tried to lift more than I knew I could because a friend of mine could do it. Luckily a guy who had been lifting for years was on the bench next to mine and got up to help me get the bar off of my chest. He then taught me about linear progression and why it's important to start light and slowly add the weight over time. I owe a lot of the success I've had to what he taught me that day. He definitely put me on the right track.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
I watch people perform squats from the relative safety of the legpress machine :booty:

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
I was benching like only 225 once and my elbow gave out and I couldn't get it back on the rack.. I had to yell at some guy to come help me lol it was so embarassing.
Yup, I've dropped the bar in my earlier days, trying too hard without a spot. Hasn't everyone done the wiggle outta chest press or incline press at some stage? :poke:

I also had my knee give out on legpress, no warning, the whole damn lot came roaring back down at me. Thankfully the stops were just high enough that it squeezed me tight, but I was able to squirm out, no torn hamstrings. Scared the bejeesus outta me though, I've been mindful ever since that day.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
cheeky1; well that sounds outright scary for sure. And sad to think when it happens, people around would probably have thought 'douche' rather than 'oh that dude needs help now'

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
At our gym we only have power racks to bench in, and they have safety bars and I see guys benching without the safety bars all the time. I mean, why not use them?

I saw a kid struggling through his reps and was like "Let us know if you want a spot man" and he politely nodded and said "Thanks" but then never asked me I watch this guy struggle through his reps until eventually he gets stuck - then you ask yourself do I save this guy even though he was a stubborn d*ck?

Having said all that, it bugs me a bit when you share a bench/rack with someone and so you instantly have a spotter and they play it safe and stay in their comfort zone - I mean, you have a spotter for once FFS, push yourself, go for a PR and know someone there has your back.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
cheeky1; well that sounds outright scary for sure. And sad to think when it happens, people around would probably have thought 'douche' rather than 'oh that dude needs help now'
Thankfully there was only one person on the other side of the room - but if I were 20kg heavier it probably would have jammed me in there tight. Then I would have been in trouble!!

One of the big boys & I had this same conversation the other night.
Do you freely offer advice to the skinny young kid with poor form before he hurts himself (or herself) & risk offending/embarrassing them to the point where they don't come back, or wait for them to either ask for help or hurt themselves - and disappear anyway??
When teenagers are wearing belts for their squats there's something very wrong.

Nobody wants to be seen as the know it all dick, but when you watch them lift & know the consequences of such actions is it justifiable to have a quiet word?

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
I've mostly had positive reactions to quietly offering some help. I usually do it humbly and really only on squats. I'm a mean squatter, even if I do say so myself, so when I'm squatting big and the kid in the next rack is wondering how the f*ck to even squat II usually ask him (or her) if he wants a few pointers. Almost always that person comes back a week or two later and says this tip or that tip really helped them and they've improved X much. It's a fine line. I wouldn't give pointers on how to do arms because my arms suck lol.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Along time ago I was squatting and the shoes I had were worn the **** out. I was overly trying to stay upright and was doing a really strict rep tempo with like a 4 second negative on each rep. I ended up actually falling backward. I got up so quick and laughed it off when someone ran over and asked if I was ok but in reality I got pretty ****ing close to hitting my head on the weight plate rack behind me which could have been serious. Some guy in his group of "bros" was actually laughing at me and talking **** with his friends but I was too disoriented to even get mad at the time

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I did this with 310 and the clamps on while home alone and couldn't figure out what to do for like 4 minutes the air was literally gone out of my body ... scary shyt. Then i rolled it down to my leg and pushed it off .... needless to say, i threw the clamps out that day.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
So.. I am starting to see this a LOT at my gym. Why do guys press like this??

The only reason they could possibly be doing this is to activate the core. But this is not a core exercise its a chest exercise. You could simply keep your feet on the floor, activate your core, lift more weight and have drive from your toes through the floor meanwhile staying completely safe throughout the entire exercise and hitting the chest harder with proper leg position but monkey see monkey do. People see others doing something so they mimic it

IronAddiction

IronAddiction

Awards
  • Established
The only reason they could possibly be doing this is to activate the core. But this is not a core exercise its a chest exercise. You could simply keep your feet on the floor, activate your core, lift more weight and have drive from your toes through the floor meanwhile staying completely safe throughout the entire exercise and hitting the chest harder with proper leg position but monkey see monkey do. People see others doing something so they mimic it
#becauseclown

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I did this with 310 and the clamps on while home alone and couldn't figure out what to do for like 4 minutes the air was literally gone out of my body ... scary shyt. Then i rolled it down to my leg and pushed it off .... needless to say, i threw the clamps out that day.
I never use clamps because of this! Lol

A couple times when I first started working out, it was at home. Plenty of times I got stuck under the bar during bench and had to use every ounce of strength to lift one side to make the plates fall off.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Coming from another perspective, what if you get unsolicit advice in the gym and its bad lol? When you don't apply it and thank them like its the best thing you ever heard, they get all offended and sometimes rude. The most common one I get is sit back more in my squats, which doesn't work because my femurs are too long. The centre of gravity gets all screwy if I try to sit back too far.

In before before someone says 'just go with it', I am friendly and all up for chatting when I am in the mood which is 90% of time. but when I wear headphones and not making eye contact isn't that enough sign to not be disturbed? I am convinced there isn't a proper way to turn down gym bros without making a fuss over it.

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
Nope, I agree completely and some people you can tell are experienced gym goers and are doing what they're doing for a reason - I'd say you fall into that category.

Squatting is such an individual thing as well so that's what I always say - play around and find what works for you but there are often obvious things you can see people do wrong which are easily corrected regardless of stature. I see a lot of people hold the bar out near the plates like they're Ronnie Coleman - fact is Ronnie Coleman is wide as a bus an needs to do that, these guys are skinnier than a sick weed plant and wonder they can't balance the bar properly lol.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thankfully there was only one person on the other side of the room - but if I were 20kg heavier it probably would have jammed me in there tight. Then I would have been in trouble!!

One of the big boys & I had this same conversation the other night.
Do you freely offer advice to the skinny young kid with poor form before he hurts himself (or herself) & risk offending/embarrassing them to the point where they don't come back, or wait for them to either ask for help or hurt themselves - and disappear anyway??
When teenagers are wearing belts for their squats there's something very wrong.

Nobody wants to be seen as the know it all dick, but when you watch them lift & know the consequences of such actions is it justifiable to have a quiet word?
What's wrong with a teenager wearing a belt on squats?

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Coming from another perspective, what if you get unsolicit advice in the gym and its bad lol? When you don't apply it and thank them like its the best thing you ever heard, they get all offended and sometimes rude. The most common one I get is sit back more in my squats, which doesn't work because my femurs are too long. The centre of gravity gets all screwy if I try to sit back too far.

In before before someone says 'just go with it', I am friendly and all up for chatting when I am in the mood which is 90% of time. but when I wear headphones and not making eye contact isn't that enough sign to not be disturbed? I am convinced there isn't a proper way to turn down gym bros without making a fuss over it.
I hear incorrect advice being spewed at my gym on a daily basis lol. No point in arguing over it just nod and move on because it's only going to waste mental effort when you could be applying that toward your workout. I heard one guy saying you should work arms everyday lol. I was in disbelief because he wasn't using steroids and wasn't in shape but he was giving advice like he'd been lifting for 20 yrs. talking with a tone that said "hey I know what I'm doing listen to me"

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No point in arguing over it just nod and move on because it's only going to waste mental effort when you could be applying that toward your workout.
Says the guy who has spent 90% of his time on AM bashing users of gear and women that flaunt. I guess according to your logic you should just nod then go directly to your cellular device to b*tch about it on the webs.

Cool.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Says the guy who has spent 90% of his time on AM bashing users of gear and women that flaunt. I guess according to your logic you should just nod then go directly to your cellular device to b*tch about it on the webs.

Cool.
That's not a true statement at all. Have a great day :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's to take out the legs from the lift similar to a floor press, but it only works if you're using gear.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's to take out the legs from the lift similar to a floor press, but it only works if you're using gear.
Trying feet up geared benching ASAP

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There's a guy in my gym who when doing squats wears a belt, elbow sleeve and knee sleeves. He puts 275 on the bar and drops all of two inches. Then racks the weight like he just did 5 plates. Walks around strutting his stuff. Ugh

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
There's a guy in my gym who when doing squats wears a belt, elbow sleeve and knee sleeves. He puts 275 on the bar and drops all of two inches. Then racks the weight like he just did 5 plates. Walks around strutting his stuff. Ugh
How do you rack a weight like you just did 5 plates?? Grunt obnoxiously then push the bar onto the rack as hard as possible so that it rattles and sways back a bit? Then finish with a big clap of the hands so the chalk flies everywhere??

Sorry I think I've seen this too many times haha. And really, no one is in awe when it happens, more like thinking to ourselves 'omg, totally douche'

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I slam my weight onto the rack when doing OHP because it's heavy and my arms are tired after each set. I'm sure a lot of the stuff I do people think I'm a douche for.. But whatever, if the weights too heavy for me to set down easily, I'll slam it. I'm not going to lower my weights that I can rep just fine, so I can set it down lightly.

That's what planet fitness is for ?

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Thats OK, I think most normal people can tell a difference between slamming weight down because its legit heavy and you been lifting it properly, to slamming it to get attention AND the weight was too heavy in the first place (ego lift).

We don't have planet fitness here and I am glad to be honest. Barney the dinosaur purple colour scheme looks obnoxious haha!

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
I turned around one day to see a guy on the bench turning blue...bar across his throat & arms locked under the bar so he couldn't move.
He had about 220lb on there & after I pulled it off him he said his elbow gave out, it landed on his chest & came back on him. If I wasn't there he would have been a goner.
Scary moment.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
What's wrong with a teenager wearing a belt on squats?
I'm talking about kids who aren't lifting heavy for wrestling, football etc. I mean kids who are mimicking others and have not spent time strengthening their core, building up their back and ensuring they have a solid base that will enable them to squat safely and effectively. I often get asked about belts & I suggest people ask the big guys why they wear them...or don't. Quite often it originates from a back injury, and it's frequently for mental as much as physical support. Nothing wrong with that, but no way a teen should be wearing a belt just because he heard it supports the back.

There's a sense of security in a belt that is often undeserving, I see people curving their backs & the gut isn't rigid, it's pushing out on the belt. In fact the best form at my gym for squat & deadlift would have to belong to 2 young ladies, lifting at or well above their body weight, depending on the exercise, and no belt in sight.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How do you rack a weight like you just did 5 plates?? Grunt obnoxiously then push the bar onto the rack as hard as possible so that it rattles and sways back a bit? Then finish with a big clap of the hands so the chalk flies everywhere??

Sorry I think I've seen this too many times haha. And really, no one is in awe when it happens, more like thinking to ourselves 'omg, totally douche'
Exactly. Couldn't describe it better.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I turned around one day to see a guy on the bench turning blue...bar across his throat & arms locked under the bar so he couldn't move.
He had about 220lb on there & after I pulled it off him he said his elbow gave out, it landed on his chest & came back on him. If I wasn't there he would have been a goner.
Scary moment.
God bless you fine sir that was a noble thing you did there keep on keepin on bro
:head:

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I may b*tch and complain about gym etiquette but at the end of the day, I don't give two f**&$ about what anyone does or doesn't do. It's irrelevant to my goals...

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's a sense of security in a belt that is often undeserving, I see people curving their backs & the gut isn't rigid, it's pushing out on the belt.
That's the purpose of wearing a belt; to push out against it. Lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was thinking the same thing lol

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I may b*tch and complain about gym etiquette but at the end of the day, I don't give two f**&$ about what anyone does or doesn't do. It's irrelevant to my goals...
As long as I don't have to clean up after them and they don't get in my way (e.g. attempting to use multiple spots in the gym), I agree. I put my headphones on and zone out, so I don't even really notice if somebody is doing anything odd.

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
That's the purpose of wearing a belt; to push out against it. Lol
Yeah I gotcha, poor choice of wording. I was trying to illustrate the slack gut from lack of core strength & relying on the rigidity of the belt for stability, my bad there!

JG93

JG93

Awards
Ah, man... my blood pressure just surged when I read that! I hate that guy.
What if the gym is set up bad?
My gym is machines on one side free on the other, legs one wall, smith bench front.
Big gym. I super set everything.
But I don't dick off either, and my gym usually isn't packed with people that dont know anything about sets. Lol

BillyBatson

BillyBatson

Awards
I'm sorry, but if you're too much of a p*ssy to re-rack the dumbells you just carried across the gym (or into another room),
then you're too big of a p*ssy to be using them in the first place.

10407106_795238317219924_5020692852198387213_n.jpg

BillyBatson

BillyBatson

Awards
I'm sorry, but smart phones are a plague that has been cast upon the gym.

It's all I can do to go up to idiots sitting on benches/machines fiddling with their phones for 5 minutes in between sets and say "excuse me, did you come here to workout or to play with your phone? ... DO SOMETHING OR F*CKING MOVE ON."

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I teach spin in the gym I work out in and nothing annoys me more than someone and it happens a lot, asking me if I am teaching class.... . Classes are posted in the gym and online if you don't see my name and see me RUNNING on the treadmill don't stop me and ask me if I am teaching.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I teach spin in the gym I work out in and nothing annoys me more than someone and it happens a lot, asking me if I am teaching class.... . Classes are posted in the gym and online if you don't see my name and see me RUNNING on the treadmill don't stop me and ask me if I am teaching.
That's just like when I worked retail and I had the vest and my name badge on. People ask, do you work here? No, I just decided to wear the vest of the store I'm shopping in.

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
Anyone ever see someone use a foam roller to kick like they were some kind of black belt in karate? It just happened... More entertainment, then douchebag, but still shouldn't be happening at the gym.

The guy stood it up on its end and then would kick it over as hard as he could. It was priceless.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm sorry, but smart phones are a plague that has been cast upon life.

It's all I can do to go up to idiots sitting on benches/machines fiddling with their phones for 5 minutes in between sets and say "excuse me, did you come here to workout or to play with your phone? ... DO SOMETHING OR F*CKING MOVE ON."
I had to fix that for you

hokiebird

hokiebird

Awards
I'm sorry, but smart phones are a plague that has been cast upon the gym.

There's a girl in my gym that's always on her phone quickly scrolling through something. I once saw her accidentally drop her phone while she was on the leg extension machine. She stopped her set after 3 or 4 reps, got up and picked up her phone and then continued her set for 5 or 6 more reps.

hokiebird

hokiebird

Awards
I always wonder about the mindset of people that feel the need to brag loud enough for strangers to hear them. I wonder if they think that these strangers will go on to tell the tale of the time that they were fortunate enough to share the same gym space as the Man-Beast that could "squat 405 if he hadn't injured his leg in an epic street fight"

BillyBatson

BillyBatson

Awards
There's a girl in my gym that's always on her phone quickly scrolling through something. I once saw her accidentally drop her phone while she was on the leg extension machine. She stopped her set after 3 or 4 reps, got up and picked up her phone and then continued her set for 5 or 6 more reps.
It's the jackholes that sit on the machines/benches for several minutes fiddling with their phones that piss me off