Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench; 10 sec negative to pins;
1 set 1 rep 295lbs
WILD. I never even thought about something like that. I want to try that!!! 😅

edit: I just remembered we don't have pins at LA Fitness... I gotta figure this out tho cause that looks awesome

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
WILD. I never even thought about something like that. I want to try that!!!

edit: I just remembered we don't have pins at LA Fitness... I gotta figure this out tho cause that looks awesome
Just remember this kind of overload creates a lot of specific muscle growth & neurological adaptation, but also a lot of trauma. Heavy negatives are an intensification method that should not be used weekly.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just remember this kind of overload creates a lot of specific muscle growth & neurological adaptation, but also a lot of trauma. Heavy negatives are an intensification method that should not be used weekly.
I mean basically this is my normal speed for squats so unfortunately I'm well versed in the trauma lol

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
WILD. I never even thought about something like that. I want to try that!!! 😅

That sucks. If you workout with someone could have them spot. Just make sure to tell them they need to pull really hard cause your are not going to have hardly anything left afterwards to help get it up.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
February 28th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 30 mins

Deads, Green Bands;**90 sec rest
6 sets 3 reps 260lbs

Rack Pulls; DL Stance
4 sets 5 reps 350lbs

SSB Squats, Box; Dl Stance
4 sets 7 reps 135lbs, 160lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs

Kas Pull Downs;
3 sets 20 reps

Face Pulls;
3 sets 20 reps

Cardio; 30 mins

Thought I was making good time but took about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Passed on leg press to hopefully have something left for squats tomorrow.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Deads are looking smooth and snappy! (The good snappy, not the back snappy)

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 1st, 2023 (Wednesday)

Squats;**Metal Black Wraps
5 sets 5 reps 255lbs, 275lbs, 290lbs, 300lbs, 315lbs

Bench, Pin Press (Just Above Chest);
5 sets 5 reps 210lbs

Barbell Rows;
3 sets 20 reps

Ahrens Press;
3 sets 20 reps

Hack Squats;
3 sets 12 reps

Copenhagen Adduction Drill;
3 sets

Cardio; 30 mins

Forgot my phone which really sucked since one of my better days for squats in a while. Main focus today was not to go down to far and just hit a little pass parallel to fix the pelvic tilt at the bottom. Everything felt really good and pretty sure all squats were comp. depth.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 5th, 2023 (Sunday)

Squats;
5 sets 5 reps 225lbs, 250lbs, 270lbs, 285lbs, 300lbs

Bench;**Comp
5 sets 3 reps 185lbs, 205lbs, 215lbs, 220lbs, 225lbs

Deads;**90 sec rest
7 sets 7 reps 235lbs

Cardio; 30 mins

Did a double on Thursday and even though I slept pretty good Fri/ Sat weights felt a little heavy. Think the biggest thing missing was my explosiveness on the reps. Squats went okay considering but still had a small pelvic tilt on the bottom.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 6th, 2023 (Monday)

Super Set; 3 sets
--1a. Face Pulls, 20 reps
--1b. Seated Rows, 15 reps
--1c. Stiff Arm Pull Dowsn, 12 reps

Bench;**This took a while
13 sets 5 reps 185lbs, 185lbs, 190lbs, 190lbs, 195lbs, 195lbs, 200lbs, 200lbs, 205lbs, 205lbs, 210lbs, 215lbs, 225lbs

OHP's; EMOM
15 sets 2 reps 130lbs

Dbl Hammer Curls to Arnold Press;
3 sets 12 reps

Dbl Rear Delts;
3 sets 12 reps

Defranco Pull Aparts;
3 sets 12 reps

Slept about 5.5 hours last night so not what I was looking for coming into today's long bench session.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
that seems like crazy high volume on the bench compared to what you normally do, how did it feel?

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 7th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 50 mins

Deads, Green Bands;
5 sets 3 reps 280lbs

Rack Pulls;
4 sets 5 reps 365lbs, 385lbs, 405lbs, 430lbs

SSB Squats;
5 sets 6 reps 135lbs, 140lbs, 145lbs, 150lbs, 150lbs

Face Pulls;
3 sets 20 reps

Kas Pull Downs;
3 sets 20 reps

Another not so good day in the gym. Just going to chalk it up as a bad week. 5 1/2 weeks out and couldn't even tell you what my openers let alone my 2nd and 3rd attempts are going to be. Have a call with my coach tomorrow to discuss up until meet since I am growing a little frustrated. At this point could tell you my 3rd attempts within 10lbs and now I am clueless. Also unless some miracle happens think this meet will be worst than the last. Will see but if that is the case will not be to happy since I shelled out all this $$$ and been busting my butt for 16 weeks into the meet.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I want to reserve judgement until you get a chance to talk to the coach and learn more about his thoughts. I struggle to drop weight but one of the first Dave tate podcasts I heard talked about that very thing and I'm still trying to learn how to do it....

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I want to reserve judgement until you get a chance to talk to the coach and learn more about his thoughts. I struggle to drop weight but one of the first Dave tate podcasts I heard talked about that very thing and I'm still trying to learn how to do it....
I am. Hard to tell since no heavy singles or even doubles. Maybe it will all come together in the end.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Strongest meet of my life I was using 5th set. I was doing doubles, but it would be 4x2 followed by an AMRAP where I was getting 7-10 reps. Fatigue was fairly high. Then without a deload the last 4-5 weeks you go right into testing and tapering.

You do not need to lift heavy or frequently to be able to do so, if you have sufficient skill already. They certainly can help, specificity & frequency, but having a wider base of strength is most important. If someone benches only singles 5 times a week, but they can only use 135lbs, they won’t have a very high peak, because their absolute base is tiny to begin with.

Trust the process! Even if you don’t express greater absolute strength this meet, that wouldn’t necessarily mean you aren’t making progress for the next one.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Strongest meet of my life I was using 5th set. I was doing doubles, but it would be 4x2 followed by an AMRAP where I was getting 7-10 reps. Fatigue was fairly high. Then without a deload the last 4-5 weeks you go right into testing and tapering.

You do not need to lift heavy or frequently to be able to do so, if you have sufficient skill already. They certainly can help, specificity & frequency, but having a wider base of strength is most important. If someone benches only singles 5 times a week, but they can only use 135lbs, they won’t have a very high peak, because their absolute base is tiny to begin with.

Trust the process! Even if you don’t express greater absolute strength this meet, that wouldn’t necessarily mean you aren’t making progress for the next one.
Thanks for the reply and sharing your exp and knowledge

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 8th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Squats;**Metal Black Wraps
4 sets 5 reps 225lbs, 250lbs, 275lbs, 295lbs

Bench, Pin Press (Just Above Chest)
4 sets 5 reps 210lbs

Barbell Rows;
3 sets 20 reps

Ahrens Press;
3 sets 20 reps

Dbl Bulgarian Split Squats;
3 sets 12 reps

3 sets

I am gassed and nothing left in the tank. Today's squats were really bad but form looked pretty good although last set last rep was pretty bad. Talked to my coach and things went pretty good. Things will be tapering off and will be sometime to figure out my lifts. His things was, and I kind of agree, that since I have done meets before and experienced enough that should be able to tell just with a few heavy doubles. In truth that is all I really need is about 2 to 3 weeks out and nice heavy double and can figured/ gage everything off of there. On thing did come to light this week is from May to August I work double almost every Thursday and sometimes Fridays. If my sleep is not spot on, which it was not this week, then everything goes sideways. So nothing to do with him and more of me and work will, be taking a break from him coaching me and pick him up August to start December prep. He said he would throw together a game plan on what to work on throughout that time that way we can hopefully pick up were we left off. Overall a good conversation.

The mess of last set of squats

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you know even though I can see how the squats weren't "your" normal squats, I mean damn you still moved that pretty fast. for a bad squat day, I'd trade that over my good squat days lol.

You happy with where your weight is for comp right now? maybe not wasting energy on cardio is a major need for you if your sleep isn't on par right now?

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
you know even though I can see how the squats weren't "your" normal squats, I mean damn you still moved that pretty fast. for a bad squat day, I'd trade that over my good squat days lol.

You happy with where your weight is for comp right now? maybe not wasting energy on cardio is a major need for you if your sleep isn't on par right now?
Weight class is locked in at 198lbs. Cardio is cardio, just trying to lose all this fat but not worried about getting in to much. Will just keep adjusting diet until I find the sweet spot.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 12th, 2023

Squats;
5 sets 3 reps 225lbs, 250lbs, 275lbs, 275lbs, 275lbs

Bench, Comp;
5 sets 3 reps 185lbs, 205lbs, 220lbs, 230lbs, 240lbs

Deads;** 90 sec rest
11 sets 7 reps 235lbs

Cardio; 25 mins

Overall better than I thought. Worked a double on Friday got 5 hours of sleep before I had to get back to work and this morning was my early day so usually up at 330am but with time change was more like 230am. Squats sucked but better than thought, bench went pretty good and deads no matter what was not going to be fun.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You done good, Pack 11x7 is a helluva lot of pulls, at any weight. I wouldn’t want to even bend over that many times after squatting and benching!

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You done good, Pack 11x7 is a helluva lot of pulls, at any weight. I wouldn’t want to even bend over that many times after squatting and benching!
Thanks. Def was smoked afterwards.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 13th, 2023 (Monday)

Lat Pull Downs;
5 sets 10 reps

Seated Rows;
4 sets 12 reps

SSB Squats;
4 sets 3 reps 225lbs, 225lbs, 245lbs, 260lbs
Don't know what the bar weighs but will just count it as 45lbs even though it weighs a little more.

Hatfield Squats;
3 sets 6 reps 135lbs, 145lbs, 160lbs
First time doing these and not sure what is the purpose.

Leg Press;
3 sets 10 reps

Biceps;
75 reps

So first time doing Hatfield squats and going heavy on SSB squats. Coach had 300lbs for top set on SSB and don't know the ration of SSB vs reg squats but that would have pinned me. Hatfield squats really don't understand the purpose of it or what it is suppose to do. Seems you have to lean a little more forward to keep the bar on so it doesn't fall off so maybe hits the quads a little different. After today though and doing front squats a while back think my weak link is my quads. After this meet I know what to work on to hopefully bring my squats up to be close to my deads. Without wraps on my deads are probably +100lbs better than squats and definitely need to change that if I want a bigger total.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe most SSBs are 55+ lbs.
Pretty much just the transformer bar is 45

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I haven't played with an SSB in YEARS but IIRC I feel like that was essentially all Layne used for many many months when we rehabbed his torn peck. I think he broke like a 650+ squat?

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 14th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Bench;** 1 rep = 1.5 reps
5 sets 3 reps 135lbs, 155lbs, 170lbs, 185lbs, 200lbs

Bench;
5 sets 1 rep 225lbs, 245lbs, 260lbs, 270lbs, 280lbs

Bench;** 10 sec eccentric
1 set 1 rep 300lbs

OHP's;**EMOM
10 sets 1 rep 150lbs

Dbl Hammer Curls to Arnold Press;
3 sets 12 reps

Dbl Rear Delts;
3 sets 12 reps

Defranco Pull Aparts;
3 sets 12 reps

Thinks last few days of work and time change caught up to me. This morning was zero energy and was so tired. Overall happy with bench today and considering how I felt 280lbs went up smooth.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
can relate. I used to give people crap for complaining about daylight savings but yesterday I went home and for the first time in AGES took a nap on the couch.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 15th, 2023 (Wednesday)

Cardio; 40 mins

Squats;
5 sets 3 reps 225lbs, 250lbs, 275lbs, 295lbs, 315lbs
1 set 3 reps 330lbs**Pioneer Choker Wraps

Squats;
3 sets 3 reps 245lbs

Bench, Pin Press (Just Above Chest);
6 sets 3 reps 185lbs, 200lbs, 210lbs, 220lbs, 230lbs 240lbs

Barbell Rows;
3 sets 12 reps

Ahrens Press;
3 sets 20 reps

3 sets

First time since last meet, about 15 weeks, in my comp wraps and went okay. Doesn't seem like it but moved about half the speed I normally would at this weight with comp wraps on. The last set a pause was not in the plan but needed to do it for confidence and to see how not dive bombing in the hole would effect me. Learned after today that all these years of dive bombing into the hole to get a better rebound was a complete waste of time and actually probably hurt more than helped. In the past once I hit the hole everything would loosen up and pelvic tilt was huge and today just moved slower and focused on staying tight and actually felt better. Was no difference in the rebound effect and was able to say tight because once I paused and didn't stay tight no way I was getting out of the hole.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 19th, 2023 (Sunday)**Not so Funday :(

Deads;
2 sets 3 reps 225lbs, 275lbs
2 sets 2 reps 315lbs, 365lbs
4 sets 1 rep 405lbs

Deads, Dbl Green Bands;
3 sets 6 reps 225lbs, 245lbs, 275lbs

Rack Pulls;
3 sets 3 reps 405lbs, 365lbs, 335lbs

Bench;**Comp
5 sets 1 rep 185lbs, 205lbs, 225lbs, 240lbs, 250lbs
3 sets 3 reps 225lbs, 205lbs, 205lbs

Today was as bad as I thought it would be when I seen what was scheduled. Sunday's are my worst lifting days and then add in working a double on Friday it was a recipe for disaster. Think it was about 2 weeks ago did 440lbs x5 for rack pulls and had more left in the tank and today as you can see had to drop weight to even finish. Had 3 sets of SSB scheduled but no point in even trying to do them. Next week is scheduled the same but going to email coach about it and also maybe on Wednesday just do some quick warm ups and pull 1 set at 405lbs just to get confidence back. 27 days out and honestly think I am going to take a step back this meet, -50lbs of total compared to last meet. Really hard to get a good read on my lifts and obviously today everything was stacked against me so even harder to read.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You just pulled 405 from the floor in this session; you do NOT need to pull it again to have confidence you can pull it.

If you are under-recovered from work or anything, doing MORE heavy work will not make you stronger - it will do the opposite, since you are in a recovery deficit. Just like drugs, the right dose of training for you at that time will produce the best possible outcome. Part of autoregulating isn’t just cooking when the pan is hot, but also alternatively cutting some work when it’s not going to be productive. You did good by dropping what wasn’t going to be there anyway.

Trust your training!

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You just pulled 405 from the floor in this session; you do NOT need to pull it again to have confidence you can pull it.

If you are under-recovered from work or anything, doing MORE heavy work will not make you stronger - it will do the opposite, since you are in a recovery deficit. Just like drugs, the right dose of training for you at that time will produce the best possible outcome. Part of autoregulating isn’t just cooking when the pan is hot, but also alternatively cutting some work when it’s not going to be productive. You did good by dropping what wasn’t going to be there anyway.

Trust your training!
Guess you are right and it does make a lot of sense. On a horrible day was able to do it so with rest and de-load it would be a breeze. Just really not use to this type of training and with less than 4 weeks left still don't have the foggiest idea what to expect. Guess this meet will be even more exciting in that regards.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 20th, 2023 (Monday)

SSB Squats;
6 sets 2 reps 205lbs, 225lbs, 240lbs, 255lbs, 270lbs, 285lbs

Hatfield Squats;
3 sets 6 reps 185lbs 205lbs, 225lbs

Leg Press;
3 sets 10 reps

Lat Pull Downs;
4 sets 10 reps

Seated Rows;
3 sets 12 reps

Got home from the gym and when I took a step out of the car my quads definitely felt this workout. Think after this meet this would be a perfect workout to bring my quads/ squats up. Hatfield squats felt a lot better today than last week and starting to get the hang of doing them.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 21st, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 50 mins

Bench;
10 sets 3 reps 185lbs, 195lbs, 205lbs, 215lbs, 225lbs, 235lbs, 245lbs, 255lbs, 265lbs, 275lbs

OHP's;**EMOM
10 sets 2, 1, 2, 1...reps and 145lbs, 155lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs...

Dbl Hammer Curls to Arnies;
3 sets 8 reps

Dbl Rear Delts;
3 sets 8 reps

Defranco Pull Apart;
3 sets 12 reps

How slow the reps were thought it was going to be another bad day but turned out pretty good. 3 of the last 5 meets got 292.1lbs and missed all the times on 303lbs so hoping this meet to at least break the 292.1lbs. Even if I have to chip it, 0.5 kgs, to beat it will do it this meet.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
How slow the reps were thought it was going to be another bad day but turned out pretty good. 3 of the last 5 meets got 292.1lbs and missed all the times on 303lbs so hoping this meet to at least break the 292.1lbs. Even if I have to chip it, 0.5 kgs, to beat it will do it this meet.
It's looking like you have it based upon todays session!

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 22nd, 2023 (Wednesday)

Cardio; 50 mins

Squats;
3 sets 5 reps 205lbs

Pin Press;
5 sets 8 reps 185lbs

Barbell Rows;
3 sets 12 reps

Ahren Press;
3 sets 20 reps

Hack Squats;
3 sets 12 reps

Cardio; 20 mins

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 26th, 2023 (Sunday)

Deads;
7 sets 1 rep 275lbs, 325lbs, 375lbs, 400lbs, 425lbs, 425lbs, 425lbs

Deads, Green Dbl Bands;
3 sets 3 reps 275lbs, 295lbs, 315lbs

Bench, Comp;
6 sets 1 rep 185lbs, 205lbs, 225lbs, 240lbs, 255lbs, 265lbs
3 sets 2 reps 245lbs, 245lbs, 235lbs

Cardio; 30 mins

Only was suppose to do 1 set at 425lbs but really was not happy on how the 1st looked so did a couple more. Still in the end not happy, using back to early to much, but was happy overall. As hard as the 1st 425lbs was in the past I would have been done for but was able to do 2 more sets and could have done more. Don't know if that means I am just better conditioned or stronger but at least there is an improvement there.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like the look of those last 2 sessions.

I can see why you would be unhappy with the deadlift - you make it look easy because of your sheer strength, but you are driving it off the floor with a legpress and then finishing with your back more like a stiff leg. This happens even at max effort sometimes obviously, and making the lift is most important, but what we want is to wedge the hips in and keep them moving towards the bar from the start to pop the bar off the ground.

-Focus on twisting the floor outward/apart with your feet as you squeeze your glutes & drive them forward when you start the pull.-

Bench technique looked solid to me!

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I like the look of those last 2 sessions.

I can see why you would be unhappy with the deadlift - you make it look easy because of your sheer strength, but you are driving it off the floor with a legpress and then finishing with your back more like a stiff leg. This happens even at max effort sometimes obviously, and making the lift is most important, but what we want is to wedge the hips in and keep them moving towards the bar from the start to pop the bar off the ground.

-Focus on twisting the floor outward/apart with your feet as you squeeze your glutes & drive them forward when you start the pull.-

Bench technique looked solid to me!
Makes total sense and something I noticed too. The 1st set was almost like a conv with the amount of back I was using so that is one reason for the extra sets. Thinking if I sort of pull it back and not straight up that might help recruit my hips more. I know I am making sumo harder than it should be because still need to learn to recruit my hips more and when I can learn to do that more often have a feeling my numbers should jump up a little.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 27th, 2023 (Monday)

SSB Squats;
5 sets 2 reps 185lbs, 225lbs, 245lbs, 265lbs, 290lbs

Hatfield Squats;
3 sets 3 reps 235lbs, 255lbs, 280lbs

Leg Press;
3 sets 10 reps

Lat Pull Downs;
4 sets 10 reps

Seated Rows;
3 sets 12 reps

This workout has been on of my favorites lately because since both movements are new to me I am hitting PRs every time LOL This definitely will be my layout after the meet for heavy squat days, reps will be different though. Left a little in the tank today and really didn't push to hard because Wednesday is a heavy single with my comp wraps on. Will give me a great gauge on what to expect at the meet. Feel right now if I have a good day deads are looking like 460 to 480 range and bench 290 to 300 range.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
March 28th, 2023 (Tuesday)

Cardio; 50 mins

Bench;**1 reps = 1.5 reps
5 sets 2 reps 185lbs, 195lbs, 200lbs, 205lbs, 215lbs

Bench;
4 sets 1 rep 225lbs, 245lbs, 260lbs, 270lbs

Bench;**15 eccentric
1 set 1 reps 315lbs

OHP's;**EMOM
10 sets 2, 1, 2, 1..reps 145lbs, 160lbs, 145lbs, 160lbs...

Hammer Curls to Arnolds;
3 sets 8 reps

Dbl Rear Delts;
3 sets 8 reps

Defranco Pull Aparts;
3 sets 12 reps

Really wasn't feeling it today but got the work in. Seems for the last 12 to 14 weeks I cannot lose any weight no matter what I do. Average weight this week is 202lbs and last 12 to 14 weeks between 202 to 205lbs. Tried every thing I can think of and nothing seems to work. If I have to do hours of cardio to lose weight it just doesn't make sense. Will keep on keeping on and hopefully at some point my body decides to respond. Was think at this put would be low 190's and not having to cut weight for the meet but that is not going to happen. Few pounds is nothing but it is the point I am about +10lbs from what I thought I would be at this point.