Dad's Corner

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whoa, while I don't want to pass judgement based on a post alone, that sounds like a real situation and possible neglect.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We went with preschool/daycare due to the social aspect and the learning curve that preschools provide. It's definitely very hard dropping them off the first few times, or in my wifes case weeks. It really does help with seperation anxiety and making sure your child can let you leave. It's also a starting point for self reliance in my opinion. Preschool has made a huge difference in my kids though. My daughter met all of the kindergarten entry requirements just before her 4th birthday. And my son who will 2 in March has moved up to the next class room, is reciting letters to us, and has far better social skills than his 3 1/2 year old cousin who has been at home with mom since birth. Can't say enough good things about good quality daycare.
All of this x1000. It is so important and makes such a difference when kids get into daycare/preschool early when it comes to social development and groundwork for learning. We have a couple of friends that don't believe in this and it is remarkable to see how far behind their children are in basic interaction, conflict resolution, and general fearfulness of talking to others. It is difficult to find quality care and it takes a lot of homework and research, but when you do, it pays off incredibly.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All of this x1000. It is so important and makes such a difference when kids get into daycare/preschool early when it comes to social development and groundwork for learning. We have a couple of friends that don't believe in this and it is remarkable to see how far behind their children are in basic interaction, conflict resolution, and general fearfulness of talking to others. It is difficult to find quality care and it takes a lot of homework and research, but when you do, it pays off incredibly.
No doubt. Our daycare/preschool1 is awesome. There is only one other around here that is slightly better, and that's because they include swin lessons as part of there lesson plan, but good lord do you pay for it! I'm so glad my kids are in a quality preschool. It's piece of mind knowing we're solidifying their futures. Plus, when they're out and going to school, and you don't have to pay for child care anymore it's like getting a huge raise. :)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whoa, while I don't want to pass judgement based on a post alone, that sounds like a real situation and possible neglect.
Our family has their concerns. It doesn't help that she's not exactly the brightest bulb on the chandelier either.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No doubt. Our daycare/preschool1 is awesome. There is only one other around here that is slightly better, and that's because they include swin lessons as part of there lesson plan, but good lord do you pay for it! I'm so glad my kids are in a quality preschool. It's piece of mind knowing we're solidifying their futures. Plus, when they're out and going to school, and you don't have to pay for child care anymore it's like getting a huge raise. :)
Yeah, our preschool has swim lessons, but it is included in the price and so worth it. I thought for sure once my daughter moved into Kindergarten that I was going to see all this extra money and then that just shifted into enrichment programs, karate comp team, swim team, soccer, etc...

I've given up on ever having that money again. LOL

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ours turns four months on Friday and is doing great in daycare I'm happy to report. Mom is doing well with it too :) even the sleeping has been pretty good, but as we all prolly know, some nights she just wants to hang out

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ours turns four months on Friday and is doing great in daycare I'm happy to report. Mom is doing well with it too :) even the sleeping has been pretty good, but as we all prolly know, some nights she just wants to hang out
My daughter is 4 1/2 and asks constantly to stay in our bed. We have a California king and when we give in and let her sleep in our bed, despite ALL that room, she still manages to either lay on top of one of us, or hit and kick the crap out of her daddy during her dreams. Her grand parents just bought a full size bed, so even though it's short for me, I go in and sleep there to get some peace and quiet.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
My daughter is 4 1/2 and asks constantly to stay in our bed. We have a California king and when we give in and let her sleep in our bed, despite ALL that room, she still manages to either lay on top of one of us, or hit and kick the crap out of her daddy during her dreams. Her grand parents just bought a full size bed, so even though it's short for me, I go in and sleep there to get some peace and quiet.
Not really my business but I'll comment anyway...
The longer you allow her to sleep in your bed, the harder it will be to break. Who's in charge? The adult or the child?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not really my business but I'll comment anyway...
The longer you allow her to sleep in your bed, the harder it will be to break. Who's in charge? The adult or the child?
It's a rare occurance. We don't give in, we make it a reward. Sometimes on weekends, or when I'm away for business or volleyball, she's there with my wife. But it doesn't stop her from asking constantly, we just give her goals to shoot for with behavior or things she can do at school to earn spending the night in our bed, and if she meets them she earns that reward. Besides, she's way too adorable to so no to all of the time.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
It's a rare occurance. We don't give in, we make it a reward. Sometimes on weekends, or when I'm away for business or volleyball, she's there with my wife. But it doesn't stop her from asking constantly, we just give her goals to shoot for with behavior or things she can do at school to earn spending the night in our bed, and if she meets them she earns that reward. Besides, she's way too adorable to so no to all of the time.
Great idea! And I say who cares! Especially at that age. When she's a year or two older and it's no longer age appropriate, put your foot down. But until then, enjoy those precious moments. They only last a short while!

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Great idea! And I say who cares! Especially at that age. When she's a year or two older and it's no longer age appropriate, put your foot down. But until then, enjoy those precious moments. They only last a short while!
Eh...be careful. Saying yes to a 5 year old quickly turns into saying yes to a 12 year old. As a high school teacher, I am often the first to say no to a 14 year old. The tantrum is the same. People tend to say yes for the instant pacification without regard to the long term unintended negative outcomes.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We're not those parents though. We pick our battles, but we don't cave. My wife is a former Marine, and I'm a firm believer in strict but loving parenting. We've seen those kids and parents that make you cringe. We agreed together a long time ago that our kids would absolutely not be brats.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
We're not those parents though. We pick our battles, but we don't cave. My wife is a former Marine, and I'm a firm believer in strict but loving parenting. We've seen those kids and parents that make you cringe. We agreed together a long time ago that our kids would absolutely not be brats.
Same here! And I had a Marine father that was a great role model for me. Strict when he had to but always loving. Even he says don't fight it when it comes to little kids in bed. Now of course that's not unrestricted, but there's definitely a time to ease up and just enjoy!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hard to say no that face sometimes. Or to my wife either for that matter.

ForumRunner_20140124_174042.png

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
My wife and I battle about that **** constantly, she asks him nicely if he wants to do something and he'll laugh and run off. Me I put a little bass in my voice and give him an order he responds usually

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
My wife and I battle about that **** constantly, she asks him nicely if he wants to do something and he'll laugh and run off. Me I put a little bass in my voice and give him an order he responds usually
Yes, daddy doesn't speak much but when I roar they listen.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely need to have a stern side with children. A major way for them to learn respect. On the other side of parenting, I love being a major goofball with them. Making them laugh is the best part of everyday. I was dropping my kids off at preschool the other day and was goofing around with them before I left and one of the moms asked me why her husband couldn't be more fun with their kids like I was. She said he was too worried about people thinking something wrong about him. I'm sorry but your kids grow up so fast, you should enjoy every moment. I sing kidz bop songs at the top of my lungs with my daughter in the car and get funny looks from other drivers. I don't care though, my daughter thinks it's so much fun when we do that.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was dropping my kids off at preschool the other day and was goofing around with them before I left and one of the moms asked me why her husband couldn't be more fun with their kids like I was. She said he was too worried about people thinking something wrong about him.
That is just plain weird. As a man, why would you ever care or think about your image when it comes to your kids. If that guy had any idea how insecure and lame he is presenting himself to his family, he'd probably think twice.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is just plain weird. As a man, why would you ever care or think about your image when it comes to your kids. If that guy had any idea how insecure and lame he is presenting himself to his family, he'd probably think twice.
And the sad part is that this mom, his wife, is a little hottie. Another case of "what was she thinking?". Although I'm pretty sure he's got money so that would explain some.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Which I will never, ever grasp. I make nice money that allows us to live a good life, but that would never matter to myself or my wife if I were not a great father and pretty darn good husband first and foremost. She would never be with me and I wouldn't be able to live with myself. As I am a father of two beautiful little girls now, little irritates me more than to see guys (including my own friends) that are hands off and are not a major part of their kids daily lives.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which I will never, ever grasp. I make nice money that allows us to live a good life, but that would never matter to myself or my wife if I were not a great father and pretty darn good husband first and foremost. She would never be with me and I wouldn't be able to live with myself. As I am a father of two beautiful little girls now, little irritates me more than to see guys (including my own friends) that are hands off and are not a major part of their kids daily lives.
That's my brother in law. Hands off with his kids except when people are around to put on a show. Irritates the hell out of me. And he wonders why his kids don't respect him or listen to him.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Billy R

Billy R

Awards
OK, I'll join in this thread too. I am the proud father of a thirteen year old daughter. I love her with all of my heart, and am extremely proud of her.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
That's my brother in law. Hands off with his kids except when people are around to put on a show. Irritates the hell out of me. And he wonders why his kids don't respect him or listen to him.
I hate guys that do that. I know men that couldn't tell you what color their kids eyes are. In my opinion thats disgusting.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hate guys that do that. I know men that couldn't tell you what color their kids eyes are. In my opinion thats disgusting.
I was an all star in college and have trophies, I've been on every management fast track program for every company I've ever worked for including Home Depot, I've been the strength coach for championship high school football teams, but nothing makes me more proud than my children. They will always be my greatest accomplishment.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was an all star in college and have trophies, I've been on every management fast track program for every company I've ever worked for including Home Depot, I've been the strength coach for championship high school football teams, but nothing makes me more proud than my children. They will always be my greatest accomplishment.
My sentiment exactly. Thumbs up!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This one pi$$ed off my wife, but this morning my son who is about to turn 2 saw I was wearing a yellow shirt when I was getting him up this morning and he went straght to his closet and pointed at a yellow shirt to wear today. My wife growled at me, but in my head I said "That's my boy!".

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Absolutely. I've spent massive amounts of time with my daughter , and its paid off big time. I see so many kids that are embarrassed of their parents, my daughter proudly tells everyone that I'm the greatest man that ever lived. As far as I'm concerned, the sweetest word in the English language is "Daddy".

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
No longer a stay home dad just got hired doing foundation repair 60 hour work weeks starting Monday gonna miss my little guy but at least I'll be able to buy him stuff

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This one pi$$ed off my wife, but this morning my son who is about to turn 2 saw I was wearing a yellow shirt when I was getting him up this morning and he went straght to his closet and pointed at a yellow shirt to wear today. My wife growled at me, but in my head I said "That's my boy!".
I don't understand this. What happened to piss your wife off?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't understand this. What happened to piss your wife off?
It's a running joke with us that since she bore him he should be more about mommy than he is. He still loves her and gives her hugs and kisses, but he always wants to be where daddy is and doing what daddy is doing. He used to get scared when I would start up my bike, but now he asks me to start it when we go to the garage. She got her little girl though. My daughter is all about nail polish and clothes, she loves trying to wear her mother's shoes, she wants mommy to make up on her in the morning. We each got our mini me. :biggthumpup:

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My daughter is only four months old and I feel this same way every day. I just got a great new job with a good increase in pay and responsibility and look at my daughter as the best thing I've ever done. I'm amazed everyday by this little beauty.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My daughter is only four months old and I feel this same way every day. I just got a great new job with a good increase in pay and responsibility and look at my daughter as the best thing I've ever done. I'm amazed everyday by this little beauty.
It gets better everyday.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When my daughter was born i instantly fell madly in love with her, I thought those feelings could never get any stronger. I stand corrected. I was very, very wrong. It does indeed get better every single day.
I've always tried to be this big tough guy, and like most guys our age was taught boys don't cry, ever. But I had to say I absolutely cried the day both my kids were born. Not bawling like a baby, tears of joy, but none the less still "crying".

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hell, I don't give a crap. I'll cry watching a movie with my girls. LOL

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
I've always tried to be this big tough guy, and like most guys our age was taught boys don't cry, ever. But I had to say I absolutely cried the day both my kids were born. Not bawling like a baby, tears of joy, but none the less still "crying".
I've always been a pretty stoic man, I have a reputation as a tough guy, so my reaction to my daughter stunned a lot of people, including myself.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
My daughter used to ask me to polish her toenails in rainbow colors, with each nail a different color. Then when people would comment on her nails she loved to tell them that her daddy did it. You could see the people look at me and try to process that information. Apparently I don't look like the kind of guy that would do that.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
I find it strange that people would react that way.
Apparently, only skinny, sickly looking guys are supposed to be doting fathers. If you have muscles, they expect you to be an uncaring Neanderthal.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm making a video for my daughters first birthday, taking a second of video each day and editing it together into one long video. I've got the first four months done, and tear up every time I watch. She's definitely made me sappy, lol.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Apparently, only skinny, sickly looking guys are supposed to be doting fathers. If you have muscles, they expect you to be an uncaring Neanderthal.
Right? Well, only one way to break that stereotype. Plus, just say something to me...oh wait, that is my neanderthal side coming through...LOL

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm making a video for my daughters first birthday, taking a second of video each day and editing it together into one long video. I've got the first four months done, and tear up every time I watch. She's definitely made me sappy, lol.
My wife did this for my girls baby years and toddler years. To this day, if I hear a song from there I tear up. Wouldn't take it back for a second.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Your kids are as cool as you make them.

Forck what anyone thinks.... They all have an opinion .

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your kids are as cool as you make them.

Forck what anyone thinks.... They all have an opinion .
You know what they say about opinions and aholes.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Right? Well, only one way to break that stereotype. Plus, just say something to me...oh wait, that is my neanderthal side coming through...LOL
Fortunately, the uninformed opinions of idiots mean nothing to me. I look at it this way. When I do something nice for my daughter, it makes her smile. And thats all that matters. If other people have a problem with it, thats their problem, not mine.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fortunately, the uninformed opinions of idiots mean nothing to me. I look at it this way. When I do something nice for my daughter, it makes her smile. And thats all that matters. If other people have a problem with it, thats their problem, not mine.
Yeah, i think it's a ton of fun singing Kidz Bop's version of Moves Like Jagger at the top of our lungs in the car. I get funny looks but it's not my fault they're stuck up pr!cks.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
Yeah, i think it's a ton of fun singing Kidz Bop's version of Moves Like Jagger at the top of our lungs in the car. I get funny looks but it's not my fault they're stuck up pr!cks.
I'd be willing to bet that the people who have a problem with how I goof around with my daughter have crappy relationships with THEIR kids. So in my book, that makes me the winner. My kid will never wonder if her Dad loves her.