Dad's Corner

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey all! I had a thought last night at 3am while I was up feeding my newborn. Why not start a thread for all dad's to impart advice, ask questions, brag about their kids? So here you go, dad's corner! I'll start, my little girl is almost 3 weeks old and sleeps like a rock during the day but is fussy at night. Anyone else experience this? I know it's an issue with her getting used to a new sleep cycle but am hoping it happens soon!

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I've gone through it 3 times so far. My best advice is to do the song and dance till about 6 months then cut it off. My three woke up at night as long as we let them. We cut it off and within 3 days it was all over

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I've gone through it 3 times so far. My best advice is to do the song and dance till about 6 months then cut it off. My three woke up at night as long as we let them. We cut it off and within 3 days it was all over
Yep. If you give them an option then at some point they'll take it.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hoping it doesn't take 6 months for her to start sleeping more at night! I never drank coffee until she was born, now I don't think I could survive without it.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Lol I wasn't a coffee drinker either. Now I'm hooked. My first two I did it all the to like a year and a half. My next one 6 months is the cut off line. You might get lucky though some just start sleeping through the night on their own.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey all! I had a thought last night at 3am while I was up feeding my newborn. Why not start a thread for all dad's to impart advice, ask questions, brag about their kids? So here you go, dad's corner! I'll start, my little girl is almost 3 weeks old and sleeps like a rock during the day but is fussy at night. Anyone else experience this? I know it's an issue with her getting used to a new sleep cycle but am hoping it happens soon!

Great idea for a thread.... Only advice I have is that it comes with the territory... Hopefully the lil one will adjust to sleeping patterns. I believe the natural order will happen when your little girl adapts to be awake when you are awake.... It will happen, just no substitute for time and waking up to care for her. Good luck.

The greatest joy I've ever known is the one where God trusted me to be a father! (I have 2 little girls btw)

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear ya man, I feel so blessed to have her in our lives.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So she's sleeping alot better now! She was fussy at night due to gas, so we got some herbal drops and she's been doing great! Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks already.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Lol wait until you're putting her on the bus for kindergarten. It comes faster then you can ever imagine

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have two girls, one almost 6 and a 2 1/2 year old. They are like best friends and the absolute best thing in my life. All I can say is that I don't think you really understand what it means to be a man until you have kids. Everything in life is looked at differently and you do everything with your kids in mind before anything else. Like mentioned, enjoy everyday as much as you can because it will be frustrating beyond words at times, but it goes by so fast that you can't let it get to you. I was talking to my wife and we were just looking at photos on the wall in disbelief how much they have changed and grown when it felt like just yesterday we were up like you in the middle of the night. My wife had a little cry fest the other night because we took down the crib and our youngest is now in a toddler bed.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been up since 4am. My almost 2 year old discovered how to both take his diaper off, and turn the tv on. I woke up with him butt naked sittin on my belly watching Mickey Mouse playin with his dingaling.

And the sleep cycles will be in phases. We're in the "I won't sleep in my bed past 1am phase"

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great thread!!!....my baby girl is 4 months old....sleep will get better bro;)

Week 7 and up for me.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll add that it is important that you keep a routine and not allow behavior that you don't want to be dealing with in a year or so from from now. My SIL was soft and would always let the kids get out of bed and into theirs because it was easier than setting boundaries. To this day years later, they still have issues dealing with it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First day of kindergarten, high school graduation ...12 years apart in actual time, minutes in perceived time.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, I'm trying to enjoy and take it all in! I definitely spend alot of time with her when she's up. It's very cool how quickly she's developing, starting to notice stuff more now and looking right at me.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hard to believe it'll be four weeks with our little girl tomorrow! She sleeping for longer stretches now, seems everyday gets a bit longer so that's nice! Before I know it she'll be crawling around!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will not watch that as I don't want to cry at work, lol! Seriously, this lack of sleep/addition of daughter has made me an emotional wreck! I was watching the gatti/ward documentary yesterday and was tearing up at the end. Of a sports documentary, lol

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will not watch that as I don't want to cry at work, lol! Seriously, this lack of sleep/addition of daughter has made me an emotional wreck! I was watching the gatti/ward documentary yesterday and was tearing up at the end. Of a sports documentary, lol
Will get better soon bro....lack of sleep is hard...I was a complete wreck the first couple of weeks.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's not tears from being stressed or anything, lol it's all good tears

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Enjoy every minute man. It goes by so fast. My daughter is 10 going on 30. Can't figure out how it happened so quickly

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I definitely turned emotional after my kids were born. It's ridiculous. Lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh man, that is so funny. My family loves to make fun of how sensitive I have become. I tell them it's not nice because I am surrounded by estrogen and emotions all the time.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, I'm glad it's not just me! Doesn't help that it's been mostly women that have come and visited as well. It's just me and the dog in the man department. And even he's just a little shih tzu, lol

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, I'm glad it's not just me! Doesn't help that it's been mostly women that have come and visited as well. It's just me and the dog in the man department. And even he's just a little shih tzu, lol
Time for some trt for the shih tzu:)

cabrunner6480

cabrunner6480

Awards
Awesome subbed to this thread. We just had our daughter five weeks ago. Whole new world. I love it.

The only thing is I haven't been able to get to the gym regularly. Any father's advice for newbie dads and lifting?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any father's advice for newbie dads and lifting?
It's something you have to sacrifice here and there. Just make sure the wife is happy and she gets her time, because that'll mean you'll get your time. When we lived in an apartment, I just let mini-me sleep in his carseat/carrier thing in the apartments tiny gym by ourselves while I got a quick 20 minute pump on.

Luckily, my guy is in daycare now and I work 2 days on/2 days off, so I have my days off to myself for gym time before I pick him up.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome subbed to this thread. We just had our daughter five weeks ago. Whole new world. I love it.

The only thing is I haven't been able to get to the gym regularly. Any father's advice for newbie dads and lifting?
Congrats man! Ours will be five weeks Tuesday. Its definitely harder at first to lift regularly, specially when only gating a few hours of sleep and working. I've been going in the mornings a few times before work, and definitely on weekends when we have more time

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
I've been up since 4am. My almost 2 year old discovered how to both take his diaper off, and turn the tv on. I woke up with him butt naked sittin on my belly watching Mickey Mouse playin with his dingaling.

And the sleep cycles will be in phases. We're in the "I won't sleep in my bed past 1am phase"
I laughed so hard!!!

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established

Right now, my workouts are only 15-30 minutes long. I rotate chest/back, shoulders/arms, legs. One exercise each for 3-5 sets depending on time rostering from one to the other. The last set is always an all-out effort. I get in the gym at 5am at the latest and am out by 530am at the latest. I rotate the days and hit the gym 2-5 days a week depending on the week.

I've been doing some variation of that for about six months now (eight month old daughter). And it's been treating me well. Follow my log. It's called Making the Superman.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Really it's all about the wife man. If she's awesome she'll understand and take it on while you're at the gym

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's something you have to sacrifice here and there. Just make sure the wife is happy and she gets her time, because that'll mean you'll get your time. When we lived in an apartment, I just let mini-me sleep in his carseat/carrier thing in the apartments tiny gym by ourselves while I got a quick 20 minute pump on.

Luckily, my guy is in daycare now and I work 2 days on/2 days off, so I have my days off to myself for gym time before I pick him up.
Very much this. It is a time sacrifice and it isn't about you anymore. Make sure your wife/gf knows how important it is to you and to set a good example to your lady and kid. Also, make sure she gets her time too. As a plus, your kid(s) stand a much better chance of leading a healthier lifestyle if they see daddy taking care of his. My wife and I are very active and our kids don't know anything else. It's awesome.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Make sure your wife/gf knows how important it is to you
This. I told my wife that I could be asking to go out boozing with friends, or be gone hours at a time doing whatever, but all I want is to just workout and I'll be happy. I make sure to annoy the crap out of her "want to go get your pedicure and walk around the mall, massage, chick flick?" "no? ok well I'm goin to the gym then"

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This. I told my wife that I could be asking to go out boozing with friends, or be gone hours at a time doing whatever, but all I want is to just workout and I'll be happy. I make sure to annoy the crap out of her "want to go get your pedicure and walk around the mall, massage, chick flick?" "no? ok well I'm goin to the gym then"
Fir sure, when we're both home she has no problem with me going. I in turn give her some time to go to the mall or just get out for a bit

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fir sure, when we're both home she has no problem with me going. I in turn give her some time to go to the mall or just get out for a bit
Give and take.....my wife lets me do my thing, but she does complain a lot...I try to give her some space.....freakin hormones...she doesn't no what to do sometimes.

Friend told me it can take more than a year for her old self to come back:(

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great thread. My life changed after my kids were born. Perspective, attitude, etc....have 2 boys 3 1/2 and 1 1/2.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Give and take.....my wife lets me do my thing, but she does complain a lot...I try to give her some space.....freakin hormones...she doesn't no what to do sometimes. Friend told me it can take more than a year for her old self to come back:(
It took my wife close to a year. There were times when nothing I did was right lol Sucked ass

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thankfully I've been really lucky and my wife bounced back really quickly. She's her good ol self already and we're enjoying this ride together! Had the mother in law in town over the weekend so we got to have our first dinner out since the baby was born. Amazing how refreshing a two hour meal together can be!

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Give and take.....my wife lets me do my thing, but she does complain a lot...I try to give her some space.....freakin hormones...she doesn't no what to do sometimes.

Friend told me it can take more than a year for her old self to come back:(
It took my wife close to a year. There were times when nothing I did was right lol Sucked ass
You guys talking about after giving birth? Cuz if so, I'm still there. After over eight months though the tide is starting to turn. Her hormones not only effect her attitude, but have serious impact on her weight too. Even with breast feeding she's had a hell of a time losing any weight post partum. That's even finally changing though too. She's dropped five pounds in the last two weeks and her appetite is returning to normal. Not only that, but the sex drive is revving up again! Yeah buddy!!!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's great that she can inspire you, as you have obviously inspired her! Very cool stuff man

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So we're getting to the last month before my wife goes back to work and we have to put our daughter in daycare. We're going with a small in home one which we like and am just curious what others experience was with this transition. I know my wife is looking forward to getting back to work but is struggling with having to leave her.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So we're getting to the last month before my wife goes back to work and we have to put our daughter in daycare. We're going with a small in home one which we like and am just curious what others experience was with this transition. I know my wife is looking forward to getting back to work but is struggling with having to leave her.
Transition? I call it relief lol

Mini-me is stuck with me until he's 18 years old. I can afford a few hours during the day without him! But, when we first started, it was in-home daycare like yours. We trusted the family (being on a military base helps) They were very professional and well mannered. They insisted on taking him every Friday night for a few hours on the Fridays I wasn't on duty, so that the wife and I could have a date night. We didn't know what to do with ourselves, and we ended up picking him up early the first few times.

Now he's at a school type daycare. The days I have off work, I drop him off, take a short nap, workout, grab some groceries and walk the dog, then I'll pick him up. So you'll get used to it real fast haha

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Transition? I call it relief lol

Mini-me is stuck with me until he's 18 years old. I can afford a few hours during the day without him! But, when we first started, it was in-home daycare like yours. We trusted the family (being on a military base helps) They were very professional and well mannered. They insisted on taking him every Friday night for a few hours on the Fridays I wasn't on duty, so that the wife and I could have a date night. We didn't know what to do with ourselves, and we ended up picking him up early the first few times.

Now he's at a school type daycare. The days I have off work, I drop him off, take a short nap, workout, grab some groceries and walk the dog, then I'll pick him up. So you'll get used to it real fast haha
Yea, I went back to work right away so I'm used to leaving. Our lady will do the same thing for us with the date nights which is awesome. My Mother in law actually came up on Saturday to watch her so we could go to dinner. It was very relaxing! And I won the bet that my wife would text her mom while we were out checking in. Lol, only took her 45 minutes.

bcazo

bcazo

Awards
great thread idea!! I'm a father of 2 little boys 5 years old and 20 months, lets just say that I don't sit much.. LOL

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
With our first, we went the in home route for the first 2 years as well. The hardest part we had was finding a really good one that we trusted. We interviewed about 20 of them and it is incredible to me the conditions people will leave their kids in for another person to watch over. If you get a good one, it is a great way to start because the extra attention and small enrollment is more comforting (to us at least). We transitioned in by planning our work schedules to allow her to go for a couple of hours and then over the course of the week, added an extra hour each day. We only have ever done daycare part time, thankfully, but that is how we did it.

bcazo

bcazo

Awards
Both of my kids are in daycare, we started with the home daycare first thinking it was better.. We were wrong, when it's at a persons home there is no one looking over them and they are not following state guidelines. At daycare they are spot checked by the state and they keep all the kids in line with behavior issues and vaccinations.. We caught the home daycare women out blowing leaves with the kids in the house by themselves!!! Never again..at daycare I can see my kids on camera at work ;)