Dad's Corner

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are definitely those types of places, but trust me that the big places that are supposedly overlooked by the state are not any better if you don't do your leg work and investigate them. If you read up on them, you'll see that many of them have been reported on and have warnings against them. Once we moved our daughter out of the in home and into daycare/preschool/preK place that my wife's friend owns, we researched every place within 10 miles of our house and it is staggering the number of infractions places are allowed to have. Not only that, but the places you would think are the top rated are not immune.

Point being, one is not better than the other. You need to research and interview these places and always have your eyes open even after that.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, our in home person is actually liscensed with the state so that's awesome. We met with quite a few other ones and I can't believe how ****ty some of them were. One lady hadn't even cleaned her house, garbage sitting out and said that she has the kids nap on a towel on the floor. I couldn't get out of there fast enough, lol.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll tell you that the licensing process for in home is a complete joke. We knew some people that were licensed and were the biggest pigs ever and the state actually lets them know ahead of time when they will be visiting for inspection. So they would make everything perfect and get all the paperwork lined up for a week, not knowing which day it would be, and then go right back to the slummy people they were.

Licensing and state run bologna is no replacement for gut feeling and thorough research.

Not saying anyone here isn't doing that, just putting my general comment out there after having gone through this process for such a long time with 2 kids.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
We've got a school type. We just moved here a year ago and with no ties/hookups we had to do the leg work ourselves in researching facilities. We've had minor issues with ours (a missed diaper here, going a little too long between bottles there, etc). But for the most part they've been doing good. Our little girl is happy, healthy, and developing how she should. But with the money we're paying, that better damn well be the case!!! In about two more years, my wife should be able to quit her job and stay home full time.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We're lucky cause ours is a close friend of one of our friends and is highly recommended. We've dropped in a few times un announced so we are very confident she'll be in good hands

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
It takes awhile my little boys almost 2 and still wakes up a few times a night, and my wife sleeps like a rock(if a rock sounded like a chainsaw lol) so I'm the one that gets up for him. Anyone got some potty training tips

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Y'all think your daycares are bad there was one here that got busted for having a toddler fighting ring

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Y'all think your daycares are bad there was one here that got busted for having a toddler fighting ring
Serious? Toddler fighting ring? Wtf?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's about the worst thing I've ever heard

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This was big in the news a couple years ago. Honestly, it should be a lot more shocking, but with the nuts in this world and what you hear happening to children, it is sad to say that it just pops up as a quick blurb on the news and you never hear about it again.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea I used to work for a local news station, saw and heard some stuff that makes me sad and sick at the same time

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So our little girl will be two months on Sunday, time flies! Crazy how much different she is already, and is only getting up 1-2 times a night now! Mom and dad are both a lot more rested. Only thing I've had to change is I used to lift in the morning, but with the wife going back to work soon and needing to get the baby ready for daycare I just wont have time for that. But I found a gym down the street from my work so I'll be getting it on my lunch break. Gotta adapt!

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So our little girl will be two months on Sunday, time flies! Crazy how much different she is already, and is only getting up 1-2 times a night now! Mom and dad are both a lot more rested. Only thing I've had to change is I used to lift in the morning, but with the wife going back to work soon and needing to get the baby ready for daycare I just wont have time for that. But I found a gym down the street from my work so I'll be getting it on my lunch break. Gotta adapt!
How is it working out bro?...hope everything is well.

My baby girl will be 6 months on the 17th. Goes so fast....

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Going great man, thanks for asking! Kinda in shock that the wife is back to work already, baby is ten weeks old tomorrow! I am actually digging lifting over my lunch break also, breaks up my workday pretty well. And i bet that 6 months feels like only yesterday doesnt it?

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Going great man, thanks for asking! Kinda in shock that the wife is back to work already, baby is ten weeks old tomorrow! I am actually digging lifting over my lunch break also, breaks up my workday pretty well. And i bet that 6 months feels like only yesterday doesnt it?
Glad everything is going well.

It does feel like yesterday. When I look at pictures from the first couple of weeks and compare them to now.......holy crap....she changed a lot.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can only imagine! I'm looking at her new born pics, then pics of today at ten weeks. So crazy.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
My 1st is 2 years old found out on Monday that the wife is expecting #2! Apparently she's 4 weeks now. #excited #blessing #humblingresponsibility

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats man!

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
Thank you sir!

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My 1st is 2 years old found out on Monday that the wife is expecting #2! Apparently she's 4 weeks now. #excited #blessing #humblingresponsibility
Congrats...awesome news

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I'm in. I recommend reading Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Dr. Meg Meeker. She wrote one for mothers as well.

Edit. However, I've been cleaning vomit out of both my daughters' beds all last night and today. There wasn't a chapter on that in the book

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can't argue with that! And I'll definitely be picking up that book. Insight is always a good thing. however advice from people without kids but have dogs or know someone with a kid is not always a good thing, lol.

bcazo

bcazo

Awards
I'm in. I recommend reading Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Dr. Meg Meeker. She wrote one for mothers as well. Edit. However, I've been cleaning vomit out of both my daughters' beds all last night and today. There wasn't a chapter on that in the book
Lol my 2 boys had the same thing!! No books on poop, vomit and snot!! That's is all on the job experience :)

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
My sons been taking his diaper off and peeing on everything

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
And he thinks everythings his territory lol

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Lmao!!! Glad I haven't had to deal with that yet! Little girl is ten months in five days, is almost walking, and just broke 15lbs a week ago. Tiny and strong like mommy and daddy apparently!

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First christmas with my baby girl:)

Loving it....merry christmas fellow fathers

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Merry Christmas to all you guys as well. Unfortunately for me I'll be working all day today

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First with my daughter as well, she turned three months yesterday. Loving every second of it!

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't have any children (yet) but my girlfriends daughter is 14 months old. Her father is not in her life but I love her more then anything else in the world. When I propose to my girlfriend I'm going to ask if I can legally adopt her daughter as my own.
Awesome bro

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My oldest daughter will be 6 in Jan and my other is 2 1/2. This year was amazing because they really got it. We adopted a family to have the girls bring gifts to, and my oldest was moved by the whole process. She was so appreciative of everything this year and so excited. We have a lot of family that lives here, so Christmas and holidays tend to get crazy and way overboard, and we made a decision to scale it down this year and it was the best decision ever.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
What it's all about right here.

Christmas, my wife and other daughter were sunbathing. Probably one of my favorite pictures ever.

ForumRunner_20131226_192515.png

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna miss my little man wife says she wants to do dual custody but I don't know how that's gonna work cause once she's out the army she's moving back to Indiana and im not going with

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna miss my little man wife says she wants to do dual custody but I don't know how that's gonna work cause once she's out the army she's moving back to Indiana and im not going with
Dude! That sucks so hardcore!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, that's pretty rough dude. Very sorry to hear about that.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ugh, I could not imagine. Not for one second could I think that I wouldn't be able to see my girls everyday. I'm sorry about that, man.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Ugh, I could not imagine. Not for one second could I think that I wouldn't be able to see my girls everyday. I'm sorry about that, man.
Yeah. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it sucks I wish she didn't have so much dirt on me so I could put up more of a fight.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Yeah it sucks I wish she didn't have so much dirt on me so I could put up more of a fight.
Not sure what that means but sounds like some admission of guilt/irresponsiblity and her actions would seem justifiable. Hindsight is always 20/20 so take what you've learned and improve. The damage is done so unless marriage counseling is an option, I'm not sure what I can offer except to join the commiserating. Tough stuff my brother. I wish you the best. Really, I do.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure what that means but sounds like some admission of guilt/irresponsiblity and her actions would seem justifiable. Hindsight is always 20/20 so take what you've learned and improve. The damage is done so unless marriage counseling is an option, I'm not sure what I can offer except to join the commiserating. Tough stuff my brother. I wish you the best. Really, I do.
This is where my mind was 100% when I read that. The situation is terrible, but it sounds like you know it might have been coming based on the response. We all make mistakes, but they are compounded by a million when children are involved.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
Such a hard thing to deal with I'm sure. It's harder for kids then it is for adults though. Kids need their parents, brother if there is anything you can do to yourself to make your family work I encourage you to try. See a counselor on your own if she won't go with you. Show her your family is important and that you're sorry.

Whatever is possible I would do.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear than man :(

My little girl is nearly 11months... shes still not consistent with sleeping through, sometimes it might be one every two weeks or a couple of days in a row... But never has she done it for a good amount of time i.e. a week or more.

Cant wait to be able to sleep again. But i could never imagine life without her now.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey all! I had a thought last night at 3am while I was up feeding my newborn. Why not start a thread for all dad's to impart advice, ask questions, brag about their kids? So here you go, dad's corner! I'll start, my little girl is almost 3 weeks old and sleeps like a rock during the day but is fussy at night. Anyone else experience this? I know it's an issue with her getting used to a new sleep cycle but am hoping it happens soon!
Just found this thread, great idea nick.

As far as getting her sleep better, the thing we did with both of my kids and it's worked for a lot of our friends with their children is giving them a warm bath right before bed time and try to make it as close to the same time at night as possible. And if you have lotion to use after with lavender, works wonders. Both of my kids started sleeping through the night after a few nights of getting into this routine. From 3 weeks old on they have been rock solid sleepers ever since.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll add that it is important that you keep a routine and not allow behavior that you don't want to be dealing with in a year or so from from now. My SIL was soft and would always let the kids get out of bed and into theirs because it was easier than setting boundaries. To this day years later, they still have issues dealing with it.
I have that with my SIL as well. Her kids fall asleep anywhere between 4 and 6 p.m., she doesn't believe in naps even though her kids aren't even 5 yet, they wake up at 4:30 or 5 a.m. everyday and she says she can't stand how early they wake. Unfortunately she just doesn't get it. And the really bad part is that because she is such a lax parent and doesn't feel that her children need to be watched all the time, she has poison control on speed dial, and they know her and her son by name. Her daughter has also had 4 broken bones so far. Drives me nuts because she's a self righteous b!tch and thinks she's the best mom in the world because she doesn't allow her kids to eat sugar. Grrrrrr.....

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So we're getting to the last month before my wife goes back to work and we have to put our daughter in daycare. We're going with a small in home one which we like and am just curious what others experience was with this transition. I know my wife is looking forward to getting back to work but is struggling with having to leave her.
We went with preschool/daycare due to the social aspect and the learning curve that preschools provide. It's definitely very hard dropping them off the first few times, or in my wifes case weeks. It really does help with seperation anxiety and making sure your child can let you leave. It's also a starting point for self reliance in my opinion. Preschool has made a huge difference in my kids though. My daughter met all of the kindergarten entry requirements just before her 4th birthday. And my son who will 2 in March has moved up to the next class room, is reciting letters to us, and has far better social skills than his 3 1/2 year old cousin who has been at home with mom since birth. Can't say enough good things about good quality daycare.