CREATINE = WATER RETENTION = HYPERTENSION?

mcs5309

Awards
For all the great studies done on the enhancement of strength and stamina using creatine, anecdotal evidence suggests possible spikes in blood pressure from continued use based on the likelihood that it causes the muscles to retain water. The water retention or bloat is nothing new. But I'm concerned about the BP.

Any experts out there refute this and why?

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know exactly what you would qualify as an "expert," but it has been my experience in life that too much of ANYTHING... is bad for you.

I don't think anyone can refute that water retention will cause "higher" blood pressure... but I do believe water retention causing actual "high blood pressure" can be debated. Maybe some individuals who are more susceptible to things of this nature should not use creatine for very long periods of time.

I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For all the great studies done on the enhancement of strength and stamina using creatine, anecdotal evidence suggests possible spikes in blood pressure from continued use based on the likelihood that it causes the muscles to retain water. The water retention or bloat is nothing new. But I'm concerned about the BP.

http://www.ergo-log.com/creatinenotheavier.html

UKStrength

Creatine Monohydrate supplementation is unlikely to lead to hypertension unless you have existing renal complications. Water retention (peripheral oedema) is complication associated with hypertension, it doesn't lead to hypertension per say as far as I know.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
There was a study done on the effects of Creatine Mono on blood pressure, but it was only a 5 days study. In the 5 days, bp stayed the same.

I don't know if the study was done on normal people or was it done on people prone to high bp though.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Creatine is supposed to cause intercellular hydration, actually pulling water from the blood stream into the cells. This type of hydration should not cause increased BP. However, only about 20% respond well to creatine. Another 20% respond moderately and the vast majority of people don't respond at all. I am one of the vast majority. I have tried nearly every type of creatine on the market and all it does is make me have to pee every 45 min or so until it clears my system. I have however seen some people literally "blow up" on the stuff.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The 5 day study of the effects of creatine on BP isn't that useful for those that supplement chronically. You should look at a study like this,which despite being retrospective and having a small n is a bit more useful. Their conclusion was "Expected gender differences were observed. Of the comparisons made among supplementation groups, only two differences for creatinine and total protein (P < 0.05) were noted. All group means fell within normal clinical ranges. There were no differences in the reported incidence of muscle injury, cramps, or other side effects. These data suggest that long-term creatine supplementation does not result in adverse health effects."

Anyways, like some others have mentioned, creates causes water retention within the tissues. This is not the same as intravascular volume which relates to bloodpressure. But more important would be your arterial tone which is largely controlled and regulated by your nervous system. Long story short, there isn't any concern with BP and creatine in my books. As a healthy exercising individual, you arteries should be quite healthy and elastic.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i have used creatine off and on now for 20 years and my bp is just fine.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

It wont cause an issue. So many studies out there done on creatine, if BP was an issue everyone would know about it.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have used creatine off and on now for 20 years and my bp is just fine.
Same here. In fact, my BP is 50/100 and that is far from being hypertensive.

OP, just because you get water retention does not mean that you are at risk for or that it will cause hypertension - and if that were the case, then eating high carbohydrates or training and other factors that can cause water retention would cause hypertension, and that is not the case.

~Team APPNUT

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fightnews Supplements 3
Supplements 15
damn shame Supplements 5
Supplements 10
radiodude Supplements 9