Craft Beers / Microbrews: What Are You Drinking?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ever had a sour?? Me neither. And don't plan on having another one for a while.

Lagunitas2.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The taste wasn't horrible, but the smell was. And trying to not inhaling as you get ready to drink was difficult for me.

Fortunately, I've got plenty of backups to help me get over it.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is more like it.

stone2.jpg

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The liquor store by me only had Founders Breakfast Stout so I picked up a 4 pack of that. The first drink was very weird, but about halfway through the first one I started to really enjoy it.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The liquor store by me only had Founders Breakfast Stout so I picked up a 4 pack of that. The first drink was very weird, but about halfway through the first one I started to really enjoy it.
Remember, most higher abv stouts really should be drank warmer than your probably used to.

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
Best beer I ever had was last year... an aged 2009 Bourbon County Stout... phenomenal
Gonna crack open my 2017 Bourbon County Stout tomorrow.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Didn't take any pics, but what I shared with my son; Half Acre Daisy Cutter, Avery Maharaja, Stone Xocoveza, New Holland Dragon's Milk, Oscar Blues Ten Fidy, Founders Breakfast Stout and Epic Big Bad Baptist.

Sounds like a lot, but I'm a GM at a retail store. Black Friday can suck my dyck.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Lakewood Temptress milk stout. I had three of them and I am feeling fiiiiine!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Remember, most higher abv stouts really should be drank warmer than your probably used to.
Yeah I definitely enjoyed it more about the halfway mark when it had warmed up a little. It was good though! I drank the whole 4 pack with no problems lol

I could see how some people hate them, because my first sip I was like, “Oh god I’m going to have to choke these down.” But it grew on me pretty quick. It had a very strong coffee taste and that’s exactly what I was looking for.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Trying to lighten it up a bit.

HalfAcre.jpg

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Calusa Brewing Co. in Sarasota FL... DAMN good beer there! This one is Stormrage, one of their Double IPA's

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Calusa Brewing Co. in Sarasota FL... DAMN good beer there! This one is Stormrage, one of their Double IPA's

You've inspired me. As soon as I can get out of work, I'm going to the liquor store and buying an IPA. I'll just walk in and say to myself "What would Chris buy". I hope it's drinkable.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do to some unseasonably warm weather (58 outside right now), went in thinking IPA or Pale Ale. And since my choices are somewhat limited here on the western edge of the middle of nowhere, here's what I ended up with.

Toppling2.jpg

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't take any pics, but what I shared with my son; Half Acre Daisy Cutter, Avery Maharaja, Stone Xocoveza, New Holland Dragon's Milk, Oscar Blues Ten Fidy, Founders Breakfast Stout and Epic Big Bad Baptist.
Damn those are some beaut's!

Gonna crack open my 2017 Bourbon County Stout tomorrow.
Jelly... wish we could get that up here...

Yeah I definitely enjoyed it more about the halfway mark when it had warmed up a little. It was good though! I drank the whole 4 pack with no problems lol
It is very interesting to take a chilled beer, and see how the flavors change and enhance as it warms.. althought typically i drink it too damn fast haha

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
This stuff is heavenly...

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It is very interesting to take a chilled beer, and see how the flavors change and enhance as it warms.. althought typically i drink it too damn fast haha
I normally just drink Miller Lite and Michelob Ultra because our purpose is to drink fast and get drunk for the most part. Lol

But with the IPAs and other crafts it is nice to take it slower, but still get a good taste and nice buzz from the ABV.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Apparently, the easiest way to ruin good beer is by putting coconut in it. We'll see if it get's any better as it warms up. I'm guessing it won't.

VictoryatSea1.jpg

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Apparently, the easiest way to ruin good beer is by putting coconut in it. We'll see if it get's any better as it warms up. I'm guessing it won't.

View attachment 158356
I was intrigued by the mint version. A coconut version? Eh...

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bet that bad boy would age beautifully...
I'll find out next week. going to a bottle share at a friends house and I'm taking my 2016 Lizard of Koz, along with a few others. I'll let you know how it handled a year.

share.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was intrigued by the mint version. A coconut version? Eh...
I'm a big fan of Victory at Sea. Every time I was in my local craft beer shop I would consider the Coconut, but always passed on it. Finally picked one up today, hoping the coconut was a secondary flavor. Nope. Right up front. Not a huge fan.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I normally just drink Miller Lite and Michelob Ultra because our purpose is to drink fast and get drunk for the most part. Lol

But with the IPAs and other crafts it is nice to take it slower, but still get a good taste and nice buzz from the ABV.
I tend to not do so well pacing IPA's, DIPA,Sours, Farmhouse Ales or Stout's for that matter... I can let a big Belgian or Imperial Stout linger a little longer but I have some major pace issues, which typically make for a very expensive night at home!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya not the biggest fan of coconut, nor pumpkin

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Happy Repeal Day!!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And my Repeal Day purchase

RepealDay.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OdelRupture.jpg

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do to some unseasonably warm weather (58 outside right now), went in thinking IPA or Pale Ale. And since my choices are somewhat limited here on the western edge of the middle of nowhere, here's what I ended up with.

View attachment 158333
Hard to go wrong with Goliath Brewing

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll find out next week. going to a bottle share at a friends house and I'm taking my 2016 Lizard of Koz, along with a few others. I'll let you know how it handled a year.

View attachment 158357
Got some Abyss and Dark Horse, now I want some more Baptist

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Might as well open the last bottle. 2016 Bourbon County Barleywine. RIP

BCBSbarleywine.jpg

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Got some Abyss and Dark Horse, now I want some more Baptist
Try "Plead the 5th" by Dark Horse if you get the chance. Had it at a "barrel aged brew fest" and it was reaaaal good.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think these are the best of times for craft beer. So many choices that didn't exist when I was in my early 20's (30 years ago :sad3:)

BallastPointHighWest.jpg

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive had regular victory at sea, but never the BA. I imagine itd be pretty dang good.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive had regular victory at sea, but never the BA. I imagine itd be pretty dang good.
Aged in Rye barrels, so it's a little different flavor. Definitely better once it's warmed up. I picked up two 4 packs and will probably hang on to the rest and see what a few months does for it. Also picked up a Peanut Butter Victory at Sea just to try.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Aged in Rye barrels, so it's a little different flavor. Definitely better once it's warmed up. I picked up two 4 packs and will probably hang on to the rest and see what a few months does for it. Also picked up a Peanut Butter Victory at Sea just to try.
Peanut butter beers are either AMAZING for me or very artificial tasting. I'm a big fan of Duclaw's Sweet Baby Jesus! and For Pete's Sake! Terrapin's Liquid Bliss is still enjoyable but not as good. I imagine if Ballast Point attempted a PB beer, it would be at least decent?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Peanut butter beers are either AMAZING for me or very artificial tasting. I'm a big fan of Duclaw's Sweet Baby Jesus! and For Pete's Sake! Terrapin's Liquid Bliss is still enjoyable but not as good. I imagine if Ballast Point attempted a PB beer, it would be at least decent?
Ballast Point does some good ones, but I'm beginning to think they have too many varieties of the same thing. The Coconut V@S was horrible. I've seen reviews on the PB go both ways, so we'll see.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Hmm...