Craft Beers / Microbrews: What Are You Drinking?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Head this way Marty. Plenty of room and refreshments

Fridge1.jpg

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Indeed! Did you get some?
Not yet. My beer store posted on FB that they got this. I might have to swing by. I like the sound of it.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not yet. My beer store posted on FB that they got this. I might have to swing by. I like the sound of it.
I'm assuming you'll need to be quick. Two stores got in here last week. Lasted about an hour at both with a limit of 1 bottle. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Or, May the Force be with You. Whichever you prefer.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You definitely have a similar taste to me. I'm not Houdini but I could help you make those stouts disappear!

And what do you think of the CBS?
It's good. Only bottled every 6 years I believe, so not just a whale, but a real White Whale. I'm saving one for Christmas with my kids. The other, I'm uncertain. Might just hang onto it for a special day.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
It's good. Only bottled every 6 years I believe, so not just a whale, but a real White Whale. I'm saving one for Christmas with my kids. The other, I'm uncertain. Might just hang onto it for a special day.
Ah, dang. Yeah, I'm sure it's gone. Tomorrow, I might swing by. Maybe the fact that it will be my birthday will cause fate to intervene and let me find it.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Surprisingly not good. Not a lot of Peanut Butter flavor and bitter. Cold to warm, no difference. As much as I hate to say it, worst PB stout I've had.

VaS PB.jpg

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
Surprisingly not good. Not a lot of Peanut Butter flavor and bitter. Cold to warm, no difference. As much as I hate to say it, worst PB stout I've had.

View attachment 158545
Dang you, Ballast Point. Focus group that crap before you put "Victory at Sea" on the bottle!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just found out about this "growler fill station" about 40 mins away that does growlers of 15 of their 45 taps and look what happened to be an option....

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
My local store had no bottles left but had it on tap because they sell 22 different beers on draft at any time. I ordered a 12 oz of it, and I kid you not, he filled up 6 oz and the keg was empty. I literally had the last 6 oz. And it is amazing.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
I also bought this little guy.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Baptista is pretty dang good. The Big Bad Baptist is also amazeballs

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just found out about this "growler fill station" about 40 mins away that does growlers of 15 of their 45 taps and look what happened to be an option....
Jelly!! Would love to have a few (dozen) growlers of CBS

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Jelly!! Would love to have a few (dozen) growlers of CBS
I already regret not getting the full growler fill and only getting the howler. I had already spent 60$ on beer at a brewery prior to this so i was being a penny pincher.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I already regret not getting the full growler fill and only getting the howler. I had already spent 60$ on beer at a brewery prior to this so i was being a penny pincher.
The struggle is real

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

So my buddy and I tapped into it tonight. Flavor profile of bourbon, chocolate, booze, and light maple at the end. Its beautiful if you dont mind a boozy stout. God i love it.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

So my buddy and I tapped into it tonight. Flavor profile of bourbon, chocolate, booze, and light maple at the end. Its beautiful if you dont mind a boozy stout. God i love it.
Kinda wishin you would have popped for that full growler now, aren't you. I haven't opened mine yet. But I remember from the last time how good it was.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I definitely am...as messed up as it may be im really considering driving back up to Montpelier (60-75 mins away) this week to get some more before i head home for break. Supposedly the machines they seal the growlers with keep them good for 3-4 weeks.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not on par with what jswain34's been tossing back lately, but it is juicy. And it hit the spot after four hours of driving

Triptych1.jpg

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I definitely am...as messed up as it may be im really considering driving back up to Montpelier (60-75 mins away) this week to get some more before i head home for break. Supposedly the machines they seal the growlers with keep them good for 3-4 weeks.
where would you be that Montpelier would be "up" and an hour away?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
New Hampshire. Montpelier, VT.
Ahh ok, good sh*t dude, I was just curious. I went to Norwich, and was just trying to imagine what area was an hour "south" of MontP.

Back when I was there Magic Hat was just getting its feet wet...#9 was our go to...im sure thats not on your alls level but we loved it lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ahh ok, good sh*t dude, I was just curious. I went to Norwich, and was just trying to imagine what area was an hour "south" of MontP.

Back when I was there Magic Hat was just getting its feet wet...#9 was our go to...im sure thats not on your alls level but we loved it lol
No worries, I just moved here from Indiana so im not entirely sure where Norwhich is lol. But yah i am going to get around to getting to a bunch of these places and Magic Hat is definitely on my list.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm terrible at aging anything. Fortunately, I have plenty

VaS 2.jpg

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This one is pretty good, tastes similar but a little lighter than the Founders Breakfast Stout, but it is definitely good for my second stout. I went to a different liquor store that had a much better selection, they had the New Divide Yeti and a large selection of Flying Dog, but no Kujo. They also had a few other local stouts and porters I need to try.

The guy said they can’t get Ballast Point Victory at Sea, but didn’t say why.

6190FE95-E6AF-4CAA-B0D8-6BD705937B04.jpeg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can check on Untappd or BeerAdvocate and see how they're rated. That's what I typically do when I see something new. Not a guarantee, but if there are over a thousand reviews, and it's rated a 4 or better, chances are it's good if you like the style.

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
This one is pretty good, tastes similar but a little lighter than the Founders Breakfast Stout, but it is definitely good for my second stout. I went to a different liquor store that had a much better selection, they had the New Divide Yeti and a large selection of Flying Dog, but no Kujo. They also had a few other local stouts and porters I need to try.

The guy said they can’t get Ballast Point Victory at Sea, but didn’t say why.

View attachment 158623
I like Kujo!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You can check on Untappd or BeerAdvocate and see how they're rated. That's what I typically do when I see something new. Not a guarantee, but if there are over a thousand reviews, and it's rated a 4 or better, chances are it's good if you like the style.
I’ll check it out, thanks!

I also need to get atleast one decent glass so I’m not pouring into a regular water glass lol

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

This was actually enjoyable...

my lifelong nickname has been Moose, hence the reason for grabbing this one, but was not disappointed either...not like a beer authority over here or anything just commenitng on what I thought

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just tried the Fathom IPA, forgot to take a pic, but really enjoyed that one...first Ballast ive had, would you say the rest of the lineup is worthwhile?
Negative. Taste is a subjective thing, but IMO Ballast Point can be hit or miss. They have some pretty decent stuff, but there's a few turds in there also.

Last edited:
wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You definitely have a similar taste to me. I'm not Houdini but I could help you make those stouts disappear!

And what do you think of the CBS?
Ya he certainly drinks some great beers!

Ya its a rare brew.. i bought 10 bottles... in Canada is was 8.50 bottle.. curious how it will age with the maple.

New Hampshire. Montpelier, VT.
Dude didn't know you were in Vermont now?

Ratebeer is also a really good source. The only down side to Untappd is I find alot of people that arent really into the craft scene use it. Thus a mediocre beer can end up with a really good rating, and a complex one lower...

I also need to get atleast one decent glass so I’m not pouring into a regular water glass lol
For sure, glassware can totally enhance the experience (matching glass ware can do fantastic things to the nose). Try to always have a tulip, goblet/snifter on hand.

Merry Christmas my fellow Craft Beer Aficionados..

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quickly becoming a favorite. Citrus, piney, delicious

Triptych2.jpg

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Draft list (at the main bar) at Founders last night.

I had:

•BA Sumatra brown ale (from side bar)
•CBS
•Tank bender - 15% eisbock which is made by freezing water out of the initial beer batch to concentrate the beer for a higher ABV.
•Dirty bastard
•Nitro breakfast stout - even better than non nitro.
•had another nitro breakfast
•Backwoods bastard for my first beer of the new year.

Best draft list ive ever seen at a single brewery.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What did you think of the Tank Bender? That's one of those that I've never been able to get my hands on.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It was good. Dark fruit, malty flavors were most noticeable to me. I thought it would be way boozier than what it was. Pretty easy drinking for 15%.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Checkout what my kids got me for Christmas

Christmas2017.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And this is where I started

TriptychNeo.jpg

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Finally got the app on my phone which will make things easier. About to grill some striploins in -25 Celsius weather...need a big boozy ipa