Coop's Corner #3: So you want vascularity?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Today's topic is adopted from a post I made on BB.com last year, with additions:

Vascularity is a superficial phenomenon created by veins, not arteries. Therefore, the skeletal muscle "pump" (I'm not talking about a pump you get while lifting; I'm talking about the phsyiological mechanism of bloodflow through skeletal muscle during isotonic exercise -> muscle contraction facilitates increased venous bloodblow) is important, which means that the amount of contractions per unit time + bloodflow demand of the tissue will dictate the skeletal muscle aspect of vascularity.

What people don't realize is that bloodflow to the skin (mediated almost entirely by the SNS) makes a huge difference in superficial vascularity. Bloodflow to the skin is increased via sympathetic disinhibition when central bodyheat rises + sweat glands are stimulated. So the overall training intensity and ambient temperature will also dictate a significant portion of vascularity.

Bodyfat %, while commonly cited, is a little fickle because it follows an inverse U-shaped curve. Obese individuals and extremely lean individuals have excellent superficial venous visibility...and you really need to start approaching either extreme to notice a benefit in this regard.

Summary:

-Amount of isotonic contractions
-Training intensity/tissue demand
-Core temperature (therefore, thermogenic ingredients can improve vascularity) and ambient temperature
-Bodyfat % (minimal impact unless at extremes)

To add to the supplement list, GMS would actually be exceptional at improving vascularity because it directly increases the volume of the ECC (including the plasma), and thus increases blood volume (which is mostly pooled in veins). In addition to this, one might actually observe that stimulants and products that increase cardiac output can increase vascularity (cardiac output=venous return).

Good supplements for increasing vascularity:

-iForce Hemavol
-Analyzed Supplements Micronized GMS
-Athletix High Volume
-Controlled Labs Glycergrow
-PES Enhanced
-USPLabs Jack3d Advanced
-Nitrate products like iForce KNO3 or Max Pump
-Agmatine products like Analyzed Supplements, SNS, or iForce Agmatine
-Sodium-rich intraworkout drinks
-Capsaicin-based products -> topical application of something like eviscerate will stimulate local thermoreceptors and significantly boost vascularity to the region
-Caffeine + DMAA

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think products like Ur-Spray, Pump Spray, and TAA should be brought into this conversation as well.
TAA brings an interesting side to it. Support of angiogenesis I believe. Although I didn't notice this as I used it as a recomper at a higher bf, I have seen the pics of TruthorNothing and he gets an impressive look at his bf%...I guess this could tie into the U shaped curve.

Edit: at the risk of sounding dumb(or dumber) I guess these wouldn't work as far as the point of blood flow...more so a way to make it possible for more vessels for these products to stimulate blood flow.

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Today's topic is adopted from a post I made on BB.com last year, with additions:

Vascularity is a superficial phenomenon created by veins, not arteries. Therefore, the skeletal muscle "pump" (I'm not talking about a pump you get while lifting; I'm talking about the phsyiological mechanism of bloodflow through skeletal muscle during isotonic exercise -> muscle contraction facilitates increased venous bloodblow) is important, which means that the amount of contractions per unit time + bloodflow demand of the tissue will dictate the skeletal muscle aspect of vascularity.

What people don't realize is that bloodflow to the skin (mediated almost entirely by the SNS) makes a huge difference in superficial vascularity. Bloodflow to the skin is increased via sympathetic disinhibition when central bodyheat rises + sweat glands are stimulated. So the overall training intensity and ambient temperature will also dictate a significant portion of vascularity.

Bodyfat %, while commonly cited, is a little fickle because it follows an inverse U-shaped curve. Obese individuals and extremely lean individuals have excellent superficial venous visibility...and you really need to start approaching either extreme to notice a benefit in this regard.

Summary:

-Core temperature (therefore, thermogenic ingredients can improve vascularity) and ambient temperature

To add to the supplement list, GMS would actually be exceptional at improving vascularity because it directly increases the volume of the ECC (including the plasma), and thus increases blood volume (which is mostly pooled in veins). In addition to this, one might actually observe that stimulants and products that increase cardiac output can increase vascularity (cardiac output=venous return).

-iForce Hemavol
-Athletix High Volume
-PES Enhanced
-USPLabs Jack3d Advanced
-Capsaicin-based products -> topical application of something like eviscerate will stimulate local thermoreceptors and significantly boost vascularity to the region
-Caffeine + DMAA
Great info coop!

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
awesome topic, thx for sharing the knowledge OP

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I think products like Ur-Spray, Pump Spray, and TAA should be brought into this conversation as well.
I am not sold on the ursolic acid, but TAA can enhance bloodflow locally, yes

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

What people don't realize is that bloodflow to the skin (mediated almost entirely by SNS) makes a huge difference in superficial vascularity. Bloodflow to the skin is increased via sympathetic disinhibition when central bodyheat rises + sweat glands are stimulated. So the overall training intensity and ambient temperature will also dictate a significant portion of vascularity.

Summary:

-iForce Hemavol
-Athletix High Volume
-PES Enhanced
-USPLabs Jack3d Advanced
-Caffeine + DMAA
Completely agree with this statement ;)

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Would yohimbe also work to increase vascularity since it also increases blood flow?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
great write up Coop.

Hemavol + Potassium Nitrate = ftw!

Now I just have to try Enhanced + Hemavol and hear what all the epic hype has been about :)

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
great write up Coop.

Now I just have to try Enhanced + Hemavol and hear what all the epic hype has been about :)
It's so gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. Pumps for days and focus for eons.

aasdferic

Awards
great write up Coop.

hemavol + potassium nitrate gives me the best pumps even while training fasted

Bryancap77

Bryancap77

Awards
  • Established
great write up Coop.

Poops for days for me, can barely tolerate ~1g Agmatine these days :/

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
great write up Coop.

I like enhanced. Makes me liquipoo tho. But it's a one and done kinda deal so as long as I leave enough time before the Gym and I'm not squatting I'm good to go

I've yet to try hemavol but I just spent 150 on cutting materials so I'm going to have to wait for another order.

Bryancap77

Bryancap77

Awards
  • Established
stick to 1 scoop Hemavol? LOL never heard that reaction before from agmatine
For some reason too much Agmatine gives me some G.I. distress. Maybe I'm just an unlucky dude.

(And I was referencing using enhanced plus hemavol btw not the nitrates)

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For some reason too much Agmatine gives me some G.I. distress. Maybe I'm just an unlucky dude.

(And I was referencing using enhanced plus hemavol btw not the nitrates)
You're not alone. 2 grams of agmatine will give me sharts.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm at 3G agmatine on workout days 0-1 on non wrk out days/cardio days

domore

Awards
While it isn't the first product people chase for vascularity, our Eviscerate series (OG and Smolder) definitely provide a nice boost in vascularity.

Thanks for explanation on topical capsaicin, Coop!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Bodybuilder Toney Freeman has a product called X-Pain. It really works well I used it a lot this spring. Some of the summer too. I enjoyed it it.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Bodybuilder Toney Freeman has a product called X-Pain. It really works well I used it a lot this spring. Some of the summer too. I enjoyed it it.
How does topical pain relief relate to vascularity?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Somebody on another forum was asking a question vascularity a few days prior, and I copied and posted a similar comment you wrote previously and everyone was giving your ghost reps.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How effective is GlyoCarn?
It's GPLC. You'll have to be dosing daily @ 3-4 grams for over a month before any appreciable effects will happen, if any (going by the study). It's also a pretty expensive ingredient relatively speaking.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It's GPLC. You'll have to be dosing daily @ 3-4 grams for over a month before any appreciable effects will happen, if any (going by the study). It's also a pretty expensive ingredient relatively speaking.
If I recall, isn't the study done on 4.5g? That gets quite expensive.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I recall, isn't the study done on 4.5g? That gets quite expensive.
Study was done at 4.5 but I think general consensus has been 3-4 grams daily having had some notable effect for most people after dosing for a month plus. Definitely not worth it IMHO from value perspective.

I do however have an absolute sh*t ton of the stuff and it's flavoured. Need to run a log for it but I'm waiting for my cut to start that :p

The data is also extremely underwhelming
Agreed, I feel that the stuff has more general health benefits than performance benefits if anything.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I read something once that said eating large amounts of carbohydrates, increases vascularity. Is that just bro science or is there any fact to that?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read something once that said eating large amounts of carbohydrates, increases vascularity. Is that just bro science or is there any fact to that?
Don't necessarily have to eat a large amount but I would guess that the carbs would spike your insulin which will then increase blood flow. A meal usually gets my veins popping in general with or without exercise.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There's fact to that. Many will observe vascularity with GDAs for a similar reason

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Couldn't find what's in X-Pain but it is homeopathic.
Don't think it will increase vascularity.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much agmatine is too much?
I take 2g preworkout. Then if I'm going out later I'll want another boost in vascularity.
What happens if you take more?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
How much agmatine is too much?
I take 2g preworkout. Then if I'm going out later I'll want another boost in vascularity.
What happens if you take more?
Human studies have used close to 4 grams daily longterm with no ill effect besides mild GI issues

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I pull my belly button out, will my butt fall off?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Coop,
Will you do vlogs in the future? We can post questions and maybe you could answer them...

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Coop could you explain how caffeine + dmaa or even dmaa alone can lead to increased vascularity?

Being s constrictor I think many assume dmaa would restrict vascularity.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Coop could you explain how caffeine + dmaa or even dmaa alone can lead to increased vascularity?

Being s constrictor I think many assume dmaa would restrict vascularity.
Vasoconstrictors act on arterioles, not veins. By increasing cardiac output, DMAA and/or caffeine increase venous return, which in turn increases vascularity.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HGW! The original Mesomorph made my veins rip out!

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
Thanks for the info here.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Plan ol' Allmax Citrulline Malate both gives me a rage and vein poppin vascularity in one.