CK/Anabolic Diet mega thread

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
Rugger, that is the most phenomenal thing I have ever seen. I was looking forward to carb up this weekend, but I feel I am going to go to full depletion and hit a full 12 days on <30. I am pretty happy about this, since it will be assuring that I am fully depleted.

Here is my question for everyone out there, for the remainder of my carb down (9 more amazing days) before my carb up, how should my workouts go? I was planning to do my weekly protocol as follows:

Sat: Depletion WO Carb Up
Sun: Carb Up
Mon: Chest/shoulders/triceps
Tues: Legs
Wednesday: Back/Biceps
Thursday: Cardio/HIIT
Friday: Cardio/HIIT

OR...instead of going the full 12 days should I just test for when I am in keto? Thoughts? Flames? Kick my ass? =)

Lucky

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
im in with you^^ day six right now..six days left before by carb up.. i feel like ive been doing depletion work outs every day..

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Here is my question for everyone out there, for the remainder of my carb down (9 more amazing days) before my carb up, how should my workouts go?
I think trial and error is the way to go. What you can do during a workout when carb depleted is an individual thing.

When I initially started on this diet, I was pretty useless in the gym on Thursday and Friday, so I used to have lighter workouts later in the week. Lately, I think my body has adapted to the diet enough that I can do full workouts throughout the week.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
This weekend I'm going to buy 3 of the 5 dollar cesars pizzas, lots of cereal and baked goods, maybe a burrito or three.

I can never force myself to eat enough volume, though. I always feel TERRIBLE.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
My training style right now is 8-12 reps, whatever feels right that day, my energy levels in the gym and out of the gym are usually pretty high regardless of how many days i've gone low carb. The only time where I felt really fatigued was before thanksgivings when I did a circuit style training, which i'm not too accustomed too.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
So here is a question about carbing up. I am going to be running a 12 initial depletion phase (so far so good, and btw, those hot wings were really good to me)... when I get to my carb up, I will hit it for probably a 36 hour span between Saturday afternoon and Sunday early evening.

I see a lot of dudes pulling off the ice cream and sugary cereals and what not, and I know that the first half of the carb is supposedly good to take in simple carbs and the second half to take in complex. This recomp is really important to me, and normally I do not process carbohydrates all that well, so I was wondering if it was possible to clean up the carb a bit? I am going to stay away from fruits, since I find fructose to be pretty much useless since I won't be working out until long after the carb up.

My main question, I guess, is: if I do not start with the initial high glycemic sugars, will that be very detrimental to my muscle growth in the coming week from the lack of a giant INITIAL insulin spike? Or can I keep it pretty clean for the most part and keep my mind at ease?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You need fast actors after depletion so you fill up quickly. Complex will not do that, so yes it's important. You don't have to eat junk food, but it helps.......a lot. You aren't going to get fat from pigging out on crap, as long as the rest of your week is legit, I promise.
See the post above about a guy losing 25 pounds from a refeed and look at what he ate.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
Haha, cool man. Greatly appreciated. I guess I will just "have" to go with the frozen yogurt and sprinkles.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Bread is a good friend of yours. I actually get a good deal of pasta in, along with some candy.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Poptarts, too. Make sure to get the ones with 37g per tart. That's 296 carbs per box and boxes are usually 2.40ish. That's almost as cheap as it gets for carbs.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
White rice, dextrose, pancakes, french toast.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Ice cream, mini ice cream bars, honey, cereal, pudding, strudel, cake, brownies

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Anything I've been craving all week!

Rice, noodles, pizza, bread, candy, BEER.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
SOOOOOO GOOD!!! I found zero calorie chocolate dip at the grocery store tonight, just for some taste...and honestly, I should have passed. Word of advice, steer clear of "Walden Farms Calorie Free" ANYTHING. Aigh... where is my Reddi-Whip....GRRRRRR!

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
i have been lifting harder and heavier then ever .. even with the carb depeletion.. low reps..going for extra weight each workout.. training hard as ever and im gaining size.. havent lost more then 3-4 pounds in first week but body fat is way down.. i look alot bigger and i have been lifting as heavy as possible and not falling into the trend of light weight high reps while cutting

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
SOOOOOO GOOD!!! I found zero calorie chocolate dip at the grocery store tonight, just for some taste...and honestly, I should have passed. Word of advice, steer clear of "Walden Farms Calorie Free" ANYTHING. Aigh... where is my Reddi-Whip....GRRRRRR!
I use walden farms everything. EVERYTHING! LOL.
I have every salad dressing they make plus the chocolate and butterscotch sauce.

There is also a store by my house that sells low carb ice cream and ice cream bars. Something like 2g carbs per serving in each. Stuff is awesome.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
ZACH I LOVE IT. I have noticed the same thing, although I must admit I have been implementing BOTH styles of training recently. Going really heavy for 6 reps or so and going higher rep with moderate weight (20 reps) but. Just got my Ketosticks tonight, anyone recommend time of day to run a test so as to get the most accurate reading?

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
I use walden farms everything. EVERYTHING! LOL.
I have every salad dressing they make plus the chocolate and butterscotch sauce.
I was just eating it straight out of the jar, lol. Crazy... but I JUST finished mixing some Reddi-Whip in there, omg... dude, it's like chocolate mousse. Go to your fridge right now and HIT IT!!!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Never used em. I can generally feel when I'm in keto and when I'm not.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
ZACH I LOVE IT. I have noticed the same thing, although I must admit I have been implementing BOTH styles of training recently. Going really heavy for 6 reps or so and going higher rep with moderate weight (20 reps) but. Just got my Ketosticks tonight, anyone recommend time of day to run a test so as to get the most accurate reading?
Never. I think its a big waste of money.

You will test negative if you drink too much water, you will test too dark if you drank little water, a number of things can throw them off. Do it right in the morning I guess.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
Blast. LoL. I wonder if they will take a bottle back with 49 Ketostix......... 0=).

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Use them for now. They are a helpful tool when starting out just as a crutch, a security blanket.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
Hey BigZach... only a couple more days until your carb up, man! Don't rub it in too much when you get there and I still have a week, lol.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Hey BigZach... only a couple more days until your carb up, man! Don't rub it in too much when you get there and I still have a week, lol.
After your first meal of a refeed you wont like refeeds anymore ;)

austink3417

austink3417

Awards
  • Established
After your first meal of a refeed you wont like refeeds anymore ;)
yeah, they also take getting used to. I was sweating and feeling sick drinking gatorade the first carb up. you just get used to it. I don't know how long ago this thread started, but i'm down about 20lbs.:bb3:

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
honestly i got the biggest craving for carbs last night... i sucked on two cough drops and drank half of a sprite zero.. it really killed my cravings...
other then that im loving the vascularity ive been getting lately.. ppl have been noticing too, bunch of ppl including my gf who works out with me are thinking about hopping on..
i reccomend this diet to anyone who between 10-20% bf looking to decrease that small pouch under your belly and/or just add some vascularity and muscle definition!!

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
Yeah, question about that... I have noticed I have been able to maintain my vascularity... my question is "HOW!?" I mean, I know just from normal blood flow you will look vascular, but I always assumed sick vascularity came from the shuttling of glucose to the muscle... if I am depleted or in keto, how is this so pronounced?

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
my guess is .. simply from reduction of body fat and water under the skin.. ive lost a good amount of water weight/bloat!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, question about that... I have noticed I have been able to maintain my vascularity... my question is "HOW!?" I mean, I know just from normal blood flow you will look vascular, but I always assumed sick vascularity came from the shuttling of glucose to the muscle... if I am depleted or in keto, how is this so pronounced?
From what I read, ketosis can induce changes in vascularity. Basically maintaining the blood flow, just more blood flowing.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Water under the skin and a reduction in body fat also play a role. Your muscles can tend to look flat at the end of the week, thats the only difference I noticed.

BigFroggie

BigFroggie

Awards
Hello guys,
Just a quick question about the keto diet : i'm on keto diet since 2 weeks (well, not sure yet, i realised that i take 36 gr of carbs/day, so i had to decrease carbs).
What if i don't do the w.e. carb loading ? i don't feel the need to (i like what i eat during the week) ?
I have to make some adjustments as i ate these 2 weeks about 50% prot. 40 % fat and 10% carb (too much carbs on cottage cheese)
JB

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Some people do just fine without refeeds.
The refeeds are there primarily to allow you to lift heavy early in the week, and secondly to help growth. If you're cutting it isn't a big deal.

I'd recommend at least 1 huge refeed meal, though.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
The carb load is beneficial on a few levels.

Increased glycogen content in the muscles -
Better apperance
Better performance the first few workouts in the week
Mechanical strength enhancement due to size increase

Metabolically -
During sub maintenance caloric intake the carb load helps too boost metabolism by raising caloric intake and restricting adipose tissue gain
Increase GH, Insulin and test in unison for a very anabolic situation

It's also mentally easier to get in some carbs, reward system and all.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
heres the start of my refeed. This should get me through till about 1-2pm.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
Imprevisr I absolutely love it! I am recomping, so I will probably end up limiting my refeeds to 1 massive meal. But that looks glorious!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'm only 8 poptarts and half a pizza deep and I feel sick :(

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Imprevisr I absolutely love it! I am recomping, so I will probably end up limiting my refeeds to 1 massive meal. But that looks glorious!
Damn, i am dieting..lol And an endo.

Don't be scared of the refeed bro.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm only 8 poptarts and half a pizza deep and I feel sick :(
I just polished off a chicken terriyaki rice bowl, and that chocolate pudding/graham cracker pie...mmmm

I still got a few more things to eat tonight.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
should i lift on my reefeed day.. or wait till the day after and let my stomach clear a little bit?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
heres the start of my refeed. This should get me through till about 1-2pm.
That looks good. I see the slow churned ice cream, really good stuff there. I had a carb load where I used the cotton candy ice cream or somethign along those lines, the low fat one. Mike and ikes are a good source too, I live close to a candy and entimens wholesale store :)

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'll be carbing this weekend also. I am going to be going for pleasure, not volume this weekend.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
Have any of you guys tried leucine on the day following your carb-up?

After a fairly intense carb-up, I started the next day with three doses of 10g leucine and 100mg na-r-ala. I took it every two hours until I finished the last dose. When I finished, I had that nasty ketosis taste in my mouth. Won't seem to go away; maybe its a sign that the leucine/na-r-ala worked.