Calebsmittys 1-Andro Run

calebsmitty

Awards
Another day with no training. Practice ran long and we had to wait for a couple kids to get picked up. By the time I got home I lost all motivation. I get down and lose motivation when I don't get to see my son all day. Sucks waking up before he is up and getting home after he is asleep.

If practice runs short today I will hit the gym and run something similar to Kleen's format. Just to get something in.

Weight has dropped a little because of the long practice and drop in carbs.

Diet Macros yesterday were Prot. 267, Carbs 52, Fat 213...3200 Calories, had a granny smith apple that I didn't factor in.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
At least you got in some grub man. Yeah I hate it when I don't get to see the kiddos. Then again I love it when they spend the night with Nana but that is planned free time, not the same thing...

calebsmitty

Awards
At least you got in some grub man. Yeah I hate it when I don't get to see the kiddos. Then again I love it when they spend the night with Nana but that is planned free time, not the same thing...
Yeah, of course. Even when I leave for the weekend to go hunting by Saturday I'm missing him and cant wait to get home.

calebsmitty

Awards
So i've decided on a plan of action. I found an article on here by Nate Mioky(however you spell it).

Split is Chest/Back, Legs/Core, Shoulder/Arms, Legs/Core.

First two days are 4 total movements with 30 sec. rest. For example

Chest/Back
1. DB Bench, work up to 3x6-8, with 60 sec. rest interval
2. Row Variation, 4x10-12 with 30 sec. rest interval
3. Bench Variation, 4x10-12 w/ 30 sec. rest interval
4. Row Variation, 4x10-12 w/ 30 sec. rest interval

Same intervals for Legs/Core Day 2

Day 3 and 4 start the same with set one. And the last sets are super sets. I will post the training as I complete it. Hopefully starting tonight.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
yeah i'm not big into preset routines..there are a gazillion of 'em out there, all by guys who have the agenda to get their names out there..
means nothing to me :shrug:

and - you can use hundreds of these plans (all with seperate tweaks but essentially doing the same thing), very successfully

the basic structure of this one tho, i like it on many levels
off the top - love the short rest periods..hugely under-utilized protocol i feel..
supersets are fantastic as well (and giant sets/double-doubles etc etc)

i also like the upper-lower back & forth combo - and by extendsion, hitting those legs 2x in the 4-day layout
if this is a weakness for you, it will surely encourage some growth

this would seem to combine with your new macro approach, indicating that you wish to lean out some

caveat: you also speak of wanting to get huge #s and increases on your DL - keep in mind, this plan (and diet approach) are not best-suited to such goal

it is however very well suited to body-composition goals, and overall increase in stamina/endurance

calebsmitty

Awards
yeah i'm not big into preset routines..there are a gazillion of 'em out there, all by guys who have the agenda to get their names out there..
means nothing to me :shrug:

and - you can use hundreds of these plans (all with seperate tweaks but essentially doing the same thing), very successfully

the basic structure of this one tho, i like it on many levels
off the top - love the short rest periods..hugely under-utilized protocol i feel..
supersets are fantastic as well (and giant sets/double-doubles etc etc)

i also like the upper-lower back & forth combo - and by extendsion, hitting those legs 2x in the 4-day layout
if this is a weakness for you, it will surely encourage some growth

this would seem to combine with your new macro approach, indicating that you wish to lean out some

caveat: you also speak of wanting to get huge #s and increases on your DL - keep in mind, this plan (and diet approach) are not best-suited to such goal

it is however very well suited to body-composition goals, and overall increase in stamina/endurance
I'm taking a different direction for about 6 weeks. This split allows me to still work heavy relatively on the main lift so as not to completely forget about strength. I will probably cycle my carbs as I see fit by energy levels and body comp. I also do not plan on presetting movements but rather change it up while still sticking with the prescribed concentration. If I feel really good I will probably work heavy on first set and follow the remaining program.

I have kept carbs low the last few days because I havn't been training.

I have conflicting goals I know. But I feel the need to lean out and rebuild. I would rather be stronger and lean than fat and strong.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
great caleb, sounds like you are on it

and keep in mind: perspective & context are very large scopes within training

ppl say "you cannot get strong on xyz plan"..or "you will not grow on that abc plan"
while plans may be tailored to be optimal for one goal or another, it certainly does not mean you cannot gain strength, with such parameters you speak of in place

context my friend - when you are hitting on all cylinders, you gain in all aspects while accentuating the goals that are present

unless you are extremely advanced individual who has maxed out their strength and needs specialized training to continue to make progress, you will get stronger on this type plan - if you are consistent

:)

calebsmitty

Awards
Yeah, plus I havn't done anything quite like this. I have different intensity schemes but never actually pushed myself to keep rest at a set time. I usually reserve that for strictly conditioning. We will see. I would like to see what my abs look like.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interesting lay out any thoughts on changing the main lift from one workout to the next for say the back and chest program do chest first on first day then 3rd day to back first?

calebsmitty

Awards
I might do that to change it up. But only on days I decide not to take it to a heavy set. For example, long heavy practice, already fatigued, might hit back first and decrease pressing weight. But on days i'm feeling it I will still take the bench set for three heavy work sets. I won't hold myself to the 6-8 range. I'll probably follow the plan the first week and get a feel and then adjust. Also have to adjust for the busy gym.

calebsmitty

Awards
I do want to keep milt pressing in the program. I'm trying to keep the big lifts alive.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
kleen brings up great point

change of exercises within the program/week-to-week, even upper-to-upper (or lower) days = big win
constant change is a premise i embrace
muscle adapts to stimulus much more quickly than some give credit for
it is not enuff to just think of it in terms of "adding weight" week in / week out

again - lots of factors involved here, and you have a lot to exhaust before you "need" to start worrying about some of these things..but the premise man - it is never too early to learn fundamentals

calebsmitty

Awards
No doubt. I'm not married to the program. Just using it for a place to start. Don't want to over think anything at this point.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Especially on the supersets, the straight sets not as much.

calebsmitty

Awards
Not sure how many of you are fans of EliteFTS.com. They have some great equipment. I just bought a pair of blast straps (like olympic Rings) for $50 (60 with shipping). This is a great deal. Could be used like TRX or gymnast rings for pushups, dips, etc. Been wanting some for a while finally got them on a good sale.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice I may look into.that.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

calebsmitty

Awards
Training today was chest/back

Used machines for ease of transition to avoid loss of time.

Hammer st incline press two warmup sets with45s, working sets 80 each side x10, 85x10,90x8

Meadow row (after 1:30 sec) 1x12(80), 1x10(80), 2x10(70)

Hammer decline 80 per side 4x10(12 on first set)

Hammer high row 4x10 had to drop weight each set to finish

8 min interval on elliptical (30 s sprint) machine turned off on me

I finished this in less than 30 minutes. I was spent. Recovery is fast. Could have taken a Short break and done more work. But this is what I was looking for. This allowed me to get a good amount of work done in a short time period. I also know my work capacity is weak. In the future I know how I can extend this to get some additional work. So far I'm pleased.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure how many of you are fans of EliteFTS.com. They have some great equipment. I just bought a pair of blast straps (like olympic Rings) for $50 (60 with shipping). This is a great deal. Could be used like TRX or gymnast rings for pushups, dips, etc. Been wanting some for a while finally got them on a good sale.
They have TRX at our gym, I use them for stretching.

calebsmitty

Awards
Legs and core

Single leg squat 4x10, drop on last set. Just kept reping 3s till I couldn't (60 sec rest)

Stiff DL with jump squat superset, AMAP(30 sec rest) 3 sets

Plank( at least 40 sec hold) x cable rope crunch (30 sec rest)

Good and fast. I had to switch day 4 with day 2 because the gym was packed with shruggers and curlers.

Recovery feels fast. I might take this a little further next week.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
for sure leaner man, good work
beard looks a lil leaner too

calebsmitty

Awards
Damn. I didn't mean for pic to be so huge. Makes me look super wide.

calebsmitty

Awards
I am so damn sore. I left the gym after the last to sessions feeling like I didn't do much. After 5 min. I felt just fine. I have to fight the urge to keep going. But I know I'm doing something right because I havn't felt sore lats like this in a long time. chest is very sore as well. And legs from last night are very shaky this morning. I think my body is pissed off at me.

I am planning on adding something on the end as I acclimate myself. My thought is to make it a complete upper body/lower body session. Complete the prescribed exercise and then add say arms (superset) at the end. Exercises I basically chose based on what is available. So it changes each time.

calebsmitty

Awards
Macros yesterday

Prot. 277g
Carb 193g
Fats 143g 3200 Cal.

I have been trying to keep my calories up. While maintaining Carbs at 200 or less. I am planning on going carb crazy on Saturday.
Need to find something quick and easy to get some extra calories.

I don't seem to have time to eat these days. Every meal is on the run. Eggs in class (boiled), 25 min. lunch, quick dinner before I go to the gym, protein shakes and peanut butter sandwiches in between. One of my new favorite snacks is Chobani Greek Yogurt with chopped walnuts. Only on days I workout. Anyone have any suggestions for food on the run.

calebsmitty

Awards
I know nothing of computers and cell phones. I have no idea how to make them smaller.

calebsmitty

Awards
Article by John Meadows on Rowing Variations is pretty damn good. Still up on TNation.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Macros yesterday

Prot. 277g
Carb 193g
Fats 143g 3200 Cal.

I have been trying to keep my calories up. While maintaining Carbs at 200 or less. I am planning on going carb crazy on Saturday.
Need to find something quick and easy to get some extra calories.

I don't seem to have time to eat these days. Every meal is on the run. Eggs in class (boiled), 25 min. lunch, quick dinner before I go to the gym, protein shakes and peanut butter sandwiches in between. One of my new favorite snacks is Chobani Greek Yogurt with chopped walnuts. Only on days I workout. Anyone have any suggestions for food on the run.
Hard boiled eggs (stored with no shells), nuts, Powerbar Performance PB flavor, toaster waffles with PB in them, Clif Bars, pre-prepared meatballs......

calebsmitty

Awards
Hard boiled eggs (stored with no shells), nuts, Powerbar Performance PB flavor, toaster waffles with PB in them, Clif Bars, pre-prepared meatballs......
Funny cause I have done all of those things. I usually have a bad of Diamond Almonds in my desk. I eat boiled eggs almost daily at work. I used to eat waffles with peanut butter and honey. Havn't had a powerbar in a long time. Trying to keep Carbs down and mostly from complex sources other than post workout.

calebsmitty

Awards
Macros for today

Prot 316g, carb 88g, fat 218g

3600 cal

Weight is still 230 lbs. I look and feel leaner. Bodyfat with three point caliper 14.5. My new immediate goal is 12%.

calebsmitty

Awards
Shoulders and arms

Standing press worked up to 135 3x8, been throwing a lot at practice so this was difficult.
Dips 4x10 30 sec rest. Again this felt difficult. Should have done close grip bench instead.
High pull from around knee high 4x12 (30 sec rest)

Superset skull crusher and hammer curl 4x10 (30 sec rest)

I decided to extend it here and did a tri set. Preacher curls (rest pause), push-up (AMAP), shrugs (drop set). Did this twice.

Sprint interval. 30 sec sprint 30 sec walk. Sux total sprints.

calebsmitty

Awards
I have one more week of scheduled PCT. but I have more pills than will be needed. Do you guys recommend just continuing until I run out?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I have one more week of scheduled PCT. but I have more pills than will be needed. Do you guys recommend just continuing until I run out?
you could if you wanted
or, save it for your next time ;)

calebsmitty

Awards
Macros today

Protein 250g, carb 423 g, fat 228 g 4700 cal.

I am not a big carb fan. This was a challenge for me. Especially without a ton of garbage. I thought I was getting more protein than the final total. Still might have another shake before bed. In the future I would like to have less fat and more protein and more carbs. Back to normal tomorrow. Have big leg day so should have plenty of fuel.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
that plate actually looks pretty damn tasty..heartburn city tho :yikes:

nothing wrong with hi-protein/hi-fat/low-carb for shedding bf man..is my preferred route
all depends on how you handle carbs
one thing i will mention tho: when you have hi carb days like that, i would drop the fats commensurately
fats+carbs=quick adipose storage
also - when you are keeping intake low, nothing wrong with a hi-cal day, but i try (generally anyway) to keep it 50% or so above noraml and not much more..a lot depends on how you have macros structured tho too

calebsmitty

Awards
Yeah I saw my fat was to high. My plan for today was to keep fat early because I knew I wouldn't have carbs until after practice. I didn't intend to have such a high fat intake. My intention was at least 500 g carbs, 300+ protein, less than 100 fat. I missed my mark big time.

calebsmitty

Awards
My normal intake is 3200. 4700 is right on the money.

Need to plan out days like today better next time.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
My normal intake is 3200. 4700 is right on the money.

Need to plan out days like today better next time.
ah yeah..was thinking about your earlier ultra-low 2400 or something like that
sounds good, don't worry about today just move on
overall consistency is the key

calebsmitty

Awards
Man it is hard eating all those cals when you are trying to do it.

calebsmitty

Awards
Squats and deads

Squat worked up to 365 by reps of 5. Didn't feel real strong. Legs felt tired. So I stopped at 365 and dropped down to 275x10, then again 225x10.

Deadlift - started bar 3 inches off ground and added heavy bands. Was working explosive reps and holding at top. Bands forced me to squeeze grip and traps hard. Hammys were feeling it to.
Got up to 275 on bar plus bands adding an easy 100-150 extra pounds.

Superset good mornings (10 reps), hack squat 12-15), calve raises (15) - 4 sets

Superset leg curls and extensions (AMAP)

Compared to the previous workouts this was easy. I didn't keep track of rest but I kept rest short. Feeling good. Also feels real goo when I can see my body leaning out.

Happy Super Bowl

calebsmitty

Awards
People at my gym have a serious problem with the squat rack. They have no idea what to use it for. Shrugs, V handle row, curls everything but what it is intended for. So frustrating. I can understand doing standing press or rack pulls. I really don't understand the need to use the squat rack to do v handle rows in. Rant over.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
People at my gym have a serious problem with the squat rack. They have no idea what to use it for. Shrugs, V handle row, curls everything but what it is intended for. So frustrating. I can understand doing standing press or rack pulls. I really don't understand the need to use the squat rack to do v handle rows in. Rant over.
welcome to the average gym in america, bro :wavey:
you act surprised

calebsmitty

Awards
Not surprised. Just venting. Luckily gym was empty. Just evidence of misuse left behind.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If I am gonna do v-handle grip I am doing it on cable to keep the tension consistent throughout the lift. Squat racks are for curling in damn it!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
By the way I agree definitely looking leaner brother!