Caffeine intake

guoshuang

Awards
I’m consuming 750mg caffeine pre workout daily if not more, and don’t feel the kick with less. Is this going to risk my health?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Most likely an individual thing. Some people react to and/or tolerate caffeine better than others. I haven’t dug into the research, but I’ve read before that blood levels of caffeine can vary by 14-fold person to person.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
You will need more and more until your feeling sick all the time.
Once upon a time we all had much better workouts without any stims whatsoever.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t think it’s necessarily any better, but sure as heck not worse. Stims only do so much.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I’m consuming 750mg caffeine pre workout daily if not more, and don’t feel the kick with less. Is this going to risk my health?
750mg all at once Is not healthy. The fda reccomendations is a maximum of 400 per day! If you need that much caffeine then you need about a 2 week stimulant break and it will reset your Tolerance, it won't work if you try to just lower the dose. Need to go about 10-14 days with no caffeine or stims to do this. At one point in time I was consuming 1200mg daily, not in one dose but spread out through the day. It's bad for your heart and brain, too much caffeine also breaks down muscle tissue too.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think that 750 mg. at one time is way too much and if you need that much, I think that's a good indication like mentioned above, that you need to take a break from caffeine to try to reduce your tolerance to it.

I try to never go above 500 ever on any day from all sources combined.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
750mg all at once Is not healthy. The fda reccomendations is a maximum of 400 per day! If you need that much caffeine then you need about a 2 week stimulant break and it will reset your Tolerance, it won't work if you try to just lower the dose. Need to go about 10-14 days with no caffeine or stims to do this. At one point in time I was consuming 1200mg daily, not in one dose but spread out through the day. It's bad for your heart and brain, too much caffeine also breaks down muscle tissue too.
FDA also recommends 50 grams of protein a day

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
FDA also recommends 50 grams of protein a day
Your comparing apples to oranges

Also, the average American is not very active and doesn't lift weights. 50gm of protein is plenty for a couch potato. The fda protein requirements are not 50gm for everyone, that's the minimum amount of protein based on a sedentary person on a 2000 calories diet

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t think it’s necessarily any better, but sure as heck not worse. Stims only do so much.
Ya the conversations around caffeine are always a little wild to me. Some people definitely have issues with taking too much or using it as a crutch, etc., but caffeine is extremely well studied and has a ton of positive effects. Acting like it is the end of the world sometimes is always kind of weird. Used responsibly it probably is way more useful than many other ingredients.

That said, 750mg is a little crazy to me OP and I hope that doesn't include other stimulants on top of it. It isn't the end of the world, but probably also not something I'd recommend as a consistent intake (especially as a single bolus dose). Plenty of studies use 3-6mg per kg of bodyweight, so there is plenty of research with what I would say tend to be a bit higher than people use regularly, so there might be a small disconnect there between how recommendations go (but also just to note that its pretty regularly studied at high doses).

That said I don't tend to recommend the amounts used in studies (and most of the time they aren't using it in long term fashion) so if you are using that much PLUS not seeing benefits it would be best to decrease intake to a more reasonable level and/or stop taking it and then using again and at minimum required amounts to benefit (if you've been using that large dose for awhile though you may want to not just go from 750mg right to 0mg though).

Finally, it is important to keep in mind individuals tend to have some pretty wildly different responses to caffeine, so you may just find that it doesn't do a ton for you and that you may need to look for benefits out of other things and/or cycle your intakes more frequently.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Your comparing apples to oranges

Also, the average American is not very active and doesn't lift weights. 50gm of protein is plenty for a couch potato. The fda protein requirements are not 50gm for everyone, that's the minimum amount of protein based on a sedentary person on a 2000 calories diet
Yea ok

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I personally wouldn't worry about it but also what's the point of it doesn't work. I had a crazy high coffee with tons of caffeine I I was mixing in all said and done the amount I'd drink would come out to 1000mgs over a few hours. Caffeine itself doesn't have much of an effect on me. Even checked blood pressure and it hardly moved. Maybe instead of all that caffeine try some other stims. 200mgs caffeine plus 25 mgs of ephedrine works great for me. Also dmaa and dmha you could look into. Thing is with those I wouldn't recommend every day. Save it for the hard workouts. Another thing that works great for energy is Kratom and caffeine. Probably worst thing ever if you have an addictive personality. Absolutely don't take it every day. Also I would at least check your blood pressure and heart rate if you insist on taking that much just to be sure. You may be like me and caffeine just doesn't have much of an effect by itself. Or you may be spiking your heart rate and blood pressure way up and not know it.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Most recommendations for nutrients are based on preventing deficiencies. You’d have to look at that protein amount as a minimum, not that they think more is unhealthy.
Exactly, there's a huge difference between a safe limit of a stimulant (and 400's not a lot, that's a safety recommendation, not a cut off for death lol) and a minimum protein requirement for a person to survive and be healthy.

Localaxis

Localaxis

Awards
That is a huge amount tbh. What are your stats?
I'm a huge coffee guy, I love to drink at least 4-5 cups a day ( not starbucks ).
I tend to cycle my coffee once a year, 1 month off, and then I can feel it kick much stronger.
Our body's tends to adopt to everything, so cycle it away.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Exactly, there's a huge difference between a safe limit of a stimulant (and 400's not a lot, that's a safety recommendation, not a cut off for death lol) and a minimum protein requirement for a person to survive and be healthy.
Yea ok

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
i get it fool you’re the one dick riding a dude that thinks he knows everything

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
i get it fool you’re the one dick riding a dude that thinks he knows everything
No your just the little passive aggressive guy that knows nothing, so when you can't understand simple things this is how you react, kinda like a teenage girl. Carry on princess

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ya. Factual information usually is "ok" I'm not even gonna give you the Courtesy of viewing your response, I'm just gonna put you on ignore, you don't exactly do anything that benefits anyone around here anyway

Last edited:
Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ya. Factual information usually is "ok" I'm not even gonna give you the Courtesy of viewing your response, I'm just gonna put you on ignore, you don't exactly do anything that benefits anyone around here anyway
Oh look the boxer talking ****. What do you do around here? You have been called numerous times. Chime in on everything even if you don’t know.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Oh look the boxer talking ****. What do you do around here? You have been called numerous times. Chime in on everything even if you don’t know.
Awww did your feelings get hurt? You wanna talk?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I personally don't look at the FDA number on caffeine as a guideline, but it is a personal guideline to me for myself based on may studies. I personally try to not exceed 500 mg. total per day - that doesn't mean I think that people are necessarily going to fall out if they do, but I feel that once get too high on caffeine it can have negative health consequences - and most importantly, I think that after a certain dose, it isn't more that is needed but instead a break that is needed.

From a company perspective, I would never ever put 750 mg. of caffeine in a product as I consider it irresponsible and dangerous in the sense that a lot of people don't monitor their caffeine intake and there is no way to know the person using it hasn't already drank 3 cups of coffee that day or something like that. But I'm not judging those that, as business is business and to each their own. But I can say from a responsibility standpoint, I would never include more than 450 mg. of caffeine as the maximum dose in a pre-workout product from any brand I was associated with if combining other stims in the product.

lamarclark09

Awards
Caffeine before a workout would not be harmful. It provides various benefits. It’s central nervous system stimulant and contained in green tea and coffee. Taking caffeine before workout makes you more active and alert toward your fitness goal. It’s good for improving strength and power, you won’t feel dizzy.
This will maintain the proper working of your body, but too much intake of caffeine can be harmful. If it’s intake is limited then it’s good otherwise excess of everything is bad.

TeddyAxe

TeddyAxe

Awards
You're absolutely right, it used to be simpler and easier.