Guest viewing limit reached
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Building Back Up

I believe the thought here is that sleds are typically great for recovery because its almost entirely concentric. less damage, more blood flow, low impact. My preference is to hit them after squats or deads. This being my deload week, I was actually thinking of throwing them in, too. You don't have to load up 600lbs for a sled push to have a fun impact that doesn't destroy you. I like doing them as EMOTMs, personally. like 10-12+ rounds.

For your situation, 3-5 minute walks/pushes might make sense to help you develop that WOD type metabolic pathway conditioning. when I was in crossfit we targeted specific pathways independently (phosphagen at 0-20 second windows, glycolytic in that 2-3 minute window, and oxidative which I think we definited in like 8-20 minute wods but I believe is a much broader window than that scientifically.) anyways, only reason I bring that stuff up is cause I think different forms of conditioning are important. if I'm getting trashed on 1-5 rep squats then I think the bursts of sleds are helpful, but if I'm getting trashed during a 5-20 minute Church event then stairs etc might be good. or even walking back and forth with the sled for 3-5 minutes instead of the 30 second bursts.
I see. 3-5 minutes sled pushes sound terrible, but makes sense. Maybe I’ll start with 1 minute though lol
 
Decent workout today. Took 2.25mg lunesta last night instead of 3mg and felt stronger in the gym, so I’ll keep that or go lower after a week or so. Pull-ups still hurting though.

Bench 3 x 6/6/7 x 225
T-Bar Row 3 x 6/6/6 x 90
Seated BBOHP 4 x 6 x 150
Regular Pullups 3/3/3/3
Hammer Incline Press 2 x 9/8 x 180
Seated DB Lateral Raise 4 sets
Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets
 
Louie used to recommend the Westside guys he could get to do it pull the sled in different ways almost daily - as an easy warmup, or as conditioning work right after training, or on off days to help push blood for recovery. But they were almost always super light - just the metal skid with a plate, maybe 2, more focused on time/volume than intensity. An empty prowler type is significantly heavier than what they often used.

So if it’s for recovery, keep it ultralight and focus on going for a longer distance or time. If you are breathing hard pushing or pulling it then it’s going to be an anaerobic sprint lasting less than 30 seconds.
 
I see. 3-5 minutes sled pushes sound terrible, but makes sense. Maybe I’ll start with 1 minute though lol

But they were almost always super light - just the metal skid with a plate, maybe 2, more focused on time/volume than intensity

yeah its this part here. if I'm doing an EMOTM down and back then I am digging in and sprinting and thinking back to football practice, pushing 3, 4 or more plates for these 12 second bursts with 40 seconds of rest. but if you're doing prolonged pushes/pulls/walks it gonna be light weight. probably only 1 plate.

one plate, or even maybe an empty prowler (not sure about that, probably depends on the turf you're using) pushed steadily over 1-3 minutes is going to be noticeable and improve your wind capacity for the length of a worship song without destroying your recovery abilities.

I think that makes more sense for your current short term goal and you'd notice improved conditionining in 1-2 weeks tbh. Whereas my weak point is that top amrap set so I want to be better at hard short burts.
 
yeah its this part here. if I'm doing an EMOTM down and back then I am digging in and sprinting and thinking back to football practice, pushing 3, 4 or more plates for these 12 second bursts with 40 seconds of rest. but if you're doing prolonged pushes/pulls/walks it gonna be light weight. probably only 1 plate.

one plate, or even maybe an empty prowler (not sure about that, probably depends on the turf you're using) pushed steadily over 1-3 minutes is going to be noticeable and improve your wind capacity for the length of a worship song without destroying your recovery abilities.

I think that makes more sense for your current short term goal and you'd notice improved conditionining in 1-2 weeks tbh. Whereas my weak point is that top amrap set so I want to be better at hard short burts.
Gotcha. Thanks. Might start Wednesday.
 
yeah its this part here. if I'm doing an EMOTM down and back then I am digging in and sprinting and thinking back to football practice, pushing 3, 4 or more plates for these 12 second bursts with 40 seconds of rest. but if you're doing prolonged pushes/pulls/walks it gonna be light weight. probably only 1 plate.

one plate, or even maybe an empty prowler (not sure about that, probably depends on the turf you're using) pushed steadily over 1-3 minutes is going to be noticeable and improve your wind capacity for the length of a worship song without destroying your recovery abilities.

I think that makes more sense for your current short term goal and you'd notice improved conditionining in 1-2 weeks tbh. Whereas my weak point is that top amrap set so I want to be better at hard short burts.

A prowler is like 90-100lbs empty; their sled was just a piece of thick sheetmetal. Empty prowler IS a heavy sled compared to how they used it for recovery and long drags.
 
Weight: 203.2

let’s go!!!
5 year low…maybe 10. Unsure what i was exactly when i did keto on 2016, but it was either 202 or 203. Slept great also!


IMG_0199.webp
 
Weight: 203.2 again

Squats 3 x 5/5/4 x 275
GHR-modded Back Extensions 3/3/3
DB Walking Lunges 1 set
Machine Shrugs 3 sets
Incline DB Curls 3 sets
Machine Preacher Curls 2 sets

Going to drop squat weight down a little…getting too hard to control form.
 
Last edited:
Weight: 203.2 again

Yay. 3 days in a row at this weight. Increasing kcal just a little today to hit 3k so im a bit more full and stable for tomorrow’s upper workout. Still have a ways to go but highly motivated. Really wish we weren’t headed out of town next week but it is what it is. Just need to apply some damage control.

Been sleeping well…plenty of rem and deep and totaling 6.5 hours usually.
 
I'm in a race against a relentless ghost that doesn't exist to a finishline that never arrives in a league of one where the division changes based upon life's circumstances du jour. I'm not sure its entirely possible to be ahead of anyone given the scenario 😂
How much do we owe you for the participation trophy, and your blue hair dye? Such a magnanimous gesture. ;) Teehee!

I kid, I kid we all try to be supportive here, but I believe this man is looking for competition, not kudos.
How much caffeine are you guys using per day including coffee?
You know, I have no clue, but I know it is a lot lower than it used to be. I use half caff for my big yeti in the morning, then I have another 2 sometimes 3 single serving cups of coffee a day from the machine at work. On weekends I will have 2 of the big yeti's full of half caff. Then when it comes to preworkout it is normally 2/3-1 heaping scoop of Pump Addict so anywhere from what 160-300mg in that.
That’s bizarre. Today was the first day I had caffeine past 3pm (diet coke at 8pm), but I’m sure it’ll be fine.

You haven’t noticed tolerance to doing the same thing all year?
Are you chasing a high, or looking for the performance improvement? it is like @Hyde said, pretty static once the initial few days are over. So to keep feeling the buzz of it you may have to continue to boost it up here and there, but to get the desired effects, is different than feeling the buzz. That being said, you are no where near any limit I have ever heard suggested, so you have some room to go before hitting even a moderate cap there.

As I think Dustin mentioned, do what works for you with it. If using too late is a nono avoid it, if sleep gets worse avoid or lower it. Also if at some point you know you need an extra kick have that extra kick. If afterwards it has a bad result (your sleep or stress levels) then don't do that.
Need to start working on my rear delts…definitely a weak point.
I have seen A LOT of rowing in this log over the years, and I would be surprised if your rear delts are truly a weak point. I would almost be willing to bet that your posture is the issue there. Anyone who thinks rows are not hitting the rear delts sufficiently to stimulate growth are simply mistaken. My guess is like 80% of us you have upper cross syndrome, IE tight chest / shoulders rolled forward. Well you can't really display the rear delts when they are pulled forward and stretched flat. They look unimpressive that way in the same way that trying to show of your quads while sitting on your heels. It ain't gonna be impressive. I go from looking like my rear delt is literally missing to looking like it is sticking out off of the top of my back just by depressing the scap, externally rotating and retracting the shoulder slightly. Then BOOM it drops out of hiding and looks a bit silly.

That being said big rear delts really do make the whole shoulder pop and extra/isolated volume will bring them up. Just saying with limited time, maybe work on the posture I think it would make the biggest difference in the appearance of your delts.
Man this Dude ruined Reacher for me with his political BS. I don't care too much what side of politics people are on in general, but when they say horrible things, call for blood in the streets and say if you don't like it then don't watch my shows. Well damn man. You got it. It just sucks because I have liked his stuff for years, but he drew a line and now I am like Ahhh f#ck this guy... whenever I see his face.
Weight: 203.2 again

Squats 3 x 5/5/4 x 275
GHR-modded Back Extensions 3/3/3
DB Walking Lunges 1 set
Machine Shrugs 3 sets
Incline DB Curls 3 sets
Machine Preacher Curls 2 sets

Going to drop squat weight down a little…getting too hard to control form.
Do you feel you misgrooved it, or that it was just too much? If misgrooved, maybe try again, see if you adapted, it not drop back. If it was just too much too soon then you are likely making the right move.
 
How much do we owe you for the participation trophy, and your blue hair dye? Such a magnanimous gesture. ;) Teehee!

I kid, I kid we all try to be supportive here, but I believe this man is looking for competition, not kudos.

You know, I have no clue, but I know it is a lot lower than it used to be. I use half caff for my big yeti in the morning, then I have another 2 sometimes 3 single serving cups of coffee a day from the machine at work. On weekends I will have 2 of the big yeti's full of half caff. Then when it comes to preworkout it is normally 2/3-1 heaping scoop of Pump Addict so anywhere from what 160-300mg in that.

Are you chasing a high, or looking for the performance improvement? it is like @Hyde said, pretty static once the initial few days are over. So to keep feeling the buzz of it you may have to continue to boost it up here and there, but to get the desired effects, is different than feeling the buzz. That being said, you are no where near any limit I have ever heard suggested, so you have some room to go before hitting even a moderate cap there.

As I think Dustin mentioned, do what works for you with it. If using too late is a nono avoid it, if sleep gets worse avoid or lower it. Also if at some point you know you need an extra kick have that extra kick. If afterwards it has a bad result (your sleep or stress levels) then don't do that.

I have seen A LOT of rowing in this log over the years, and I would be surprised if your rear delts are truly a weak point. I would almost be willing to bet that your posture is the issue there. Anyone who thinks rows are not hitting the rear delts sufficiently to stimulate growth are simply mistaken. My guess is like 80% of us you have upper cross syndrome, IE tight chest / shoulders rolled forward. Well you can't really display the rear delts when they are pulled forward and stretched flat. They look unimpressive that way in the same way that trying to show of your quads while sitting on your heels. It ain't gonna be impressive. I go from looking like my rear delt is literally missing to looking like it is sticking out off of the top of my back just by depressing the scap, externally rotating and retracting the shoulder slightly. Then BOOM it drops out of hiding and looks a bit silly.

That being said big rear delts really do make the whole shoulder pop and extra/isolated volume will bring them up. Just saying with limited time, maybe work on the posture I think it would make the biggest difference in the appearance of your delts.

Man this Dude ruined Reacher for me with his political BS. I don't care too much what side of politics people are on in general, but when they say horrible things, call for blood in the streets and say if you don't like it then don't watch my shows. Well damn man. You got it. It just sucks because I have liked his stuff for years, but he drew a line and now I am like Ahhh f#ck this guy... whenever I see his face.

Do you feel you misgrooved it, or that it was just too much? If misgrooved, maybe try again, see if you adapted, it not drop back. If it was just too much too soon then you are likely making the right move.
I’ll have to reply to this in multiple messages over days lol

I’m mostly looking for the performance boost with caffeine, to make up for the loss from the deficit.

Regarding the rowing, yeah, there’s been a lot. But, most of this log has been fighting a deficit and i haven’t done much of a proper build in years. That is next though!

Its been a few weeks of fighting 275 on squats and i just can’t keep solid form. I’ll drop to 255 or so next time and build back up appropriately.
 
Regarding the caffeine intake, I think it's got like 6-8 hrs half life. So realistically that energy drink or coffee mid-afternoon is still going to be around even if you don't "feel" it by 10-11 PM (from say a 3 PM coffee). I know I do this at times and shouldn't, but damn I love those canned, bubbly drinks!
 
The gym i went to today does not have a seated bb ohp station, so i attempted seated smith ohp which felt absolutely awful on my neck and shoulders (front delts definitely felt it though), so after 1 or 2 hard sets, switched back to standing ohp. Maybe next time i go to this gym for this particular workout I’ll go back dumbbell ohp.

Standing BB OHP 3 x 5 x 135
NG Pull-ups 6/6/4/2
Dips 9/9/9
Inverted Row 5/5/5
Crossbody Cable Lateral Raise 3 sets
Overhead Cable Extensions 3 sets
 
Last edited:
Sorry I know not everyone agrees with me but I hate smith machines, I absolutely hate them. I personally think they're unsafe for most people. Especially the bench press imo which has the most curve. squat is supposed to be a straight line ROM and Hyde can correct me if I'm wrong here but reality is most people no matter how hard they try, simply do not maintain perfect straight lines through the rep.

How much do we owe you for the participation trophy, and your blue hair dye?
so there was a time, circa 1998?
there was a time when blue hair was punk, not alphabet people, lol
this was at a nationals event with my racing 'team' during peak x-games era lol

1789741285575.webp


Man this Dude ruined Reacher for me with his political BS.
totally agree. can't get myself to watch any of his new stuff.

Regarding the caffeine intake, I think it's got like 6-8 hrs half life. So realistically that energy drink or coffee mid-afternoon is still going to be around even if you don't "feel" it by 10-11 PM (from say a 3 PM coffee). I know I do this at times and shouldn't, but damn I love those canned, bubbly drinks!

lol this is why sometimes I grab a diet coke or the little sugar free redbulls with only 80mg 😂
i could probably be healthier than drinking fake sweetners but a treats a treat and in my opinion could be worse!
 
Sorry I know not everyone agrees with me but I hate smith machines, I absolutely hate them. I personally think they're unsafe for most people. Especially the bench press imo which has the most curve. squat is supposed to be a straight line ROM and Hyde can correct me if I'm wrong here but reality is most people no matter how hard they try, simply do not maintain perfect straight lines through the rep.


so there was a time, circa 1998?
there was a time when blue hair was punk, not alphabet people, lol
this was at a nationals event with my racing 'team' during peak x-games era lol

View attachment 263193


totally agree. can't get myself to watch any of his new stuff.



lol this is why sometimes I grab a diet coke or the little sugar free redbulls with only 80mg 😂
i could probably be healthier than drinking fake sweetners but a treats a treat and in my opinion could be worse!

LMFAO on the pic with the blue hair and your national level extreme sport competitor rebuff. Who knew you had the PERFECT CLAP BACK LOCKED AND LOADED!!!!

Looking at it, I picture a PHAT AZZ right in front of you making your eyes bulge out. While your boy looks upon you with the fire of passion in his eyes. You can tell you were REALLY close! ;)
 
Weight: 202.8

Half a pound away from my ten year low! Honestly, pretty sure i was stronger and leaner then, but happy about the progress.

Limb workout in a bit.

Been using 2.25mg lunesta the past couple days instead of 3mg, and while its harder to sleep well, i do feel better throughout the day…less lethargic and i feel the caffeine dose more.
 
Last edited:
Sorry I know not everyone agrees with me but I hate smith machines, I absolutely hate them. I personally think they're unsafe for most people. Especially the bench press imo which has the most curve. squat is supposed to be a straight line ROM and Hyde can correct me if I'm wrong here but reality is most people no matter how hard they try, simply do not maintain perfect straight lines through the rep.

I was just watching a clip that basicsaid Smith machines (obviously designed to be safer) are the exact opposite. It showed squat example basically where you essentially can't dump it backwards safely, so if you fail you essentially get squashed/crumpled.
 
Squatty TBDL 3 x 3 x 345
Seated Leg Curls 3 sets
Lying Leg Curls 2 sets
Cable Shrugs 3 sets
Machine Shrugs 2 sets
DB Lunges +24kg 2 sets
DB Curls 3 sets
Machine Preacher Curls 1 set
 
The diet is working! Keep doing what you’re doing man.

I was just watching a clip that basicsaid Smith machines (obviously designed to be safer) are the exact opposite. It showed squat example basically where you essentially can't dump it backwards safely, so if you fail you essentially get squashed/crumpled.

They are a solid option for hypertrophy to create a novel stimulus to cycle through for tried and true compounds, but you do want to be mindful of their limitations. You have to be responsible to try to align your body into decent positions and either avoid failure or use a good spotter.

I think Smith squats are tremendous for leg work while minimizing back loading, IF you can get the right foot placement and keep it as a hi bar squat. I mean you will feel it really great in the legs when you nail the right stance for yourself. BUT it requires some body awareness & lifting experience for sure. They really aren’t good tools for beginners, in that sense.
 
Flat Bench 3 x 6 x 225
T-Bar Row 3 x 6 x 90
Seated BB OHP 3 x 5/5/6 x 155
Standard Pullup 5/4/3
Hammer Incline Press 2 x 9 x 180
Pressdowns 3 sets
Crossbody Cable Lateral Raise 3 sets

Seated ohp and Hammer incline press improving, but nothing else.
 
I was just watching a clip that basicsaid Smith machines (obviously designed to be safer) are the exact opposite. It showed squat example basically where you essentially can't dump it backwards safely, so if you fail you essentially get squashed/crumpled.

The diet is working! Keep doing what you’re doing man.



They are a solid option for hypertrophy to create a novel stimulus to cycle through for tried and true compounds, but you do want to be mindful of their limitations. You have to be responsible to try to align your body into decent positions and either avoid failure or use a good spotter.

I think Smith squats are tremendous for leg work while minimizing back loading, IF you can get the right foot placement and keep it as a hi bar squat. I mean you will feel it really great in the legs when you nail the right stance for yourself. BUT it requires some body awareness & lifting experience for sure. They really aren’t good tools for beginners, in that sense.

Its one of the reasons I just don't talk about smith machines too much cause I know the right people can find uses for them, but I just don't like them for the big 3 for your average lifter, especially a new lifter.

I think about this graphic a lot when it comes to bench press, and then I see guys in bench groups posting their smith machine PR's and i'm like... what?

1790012746829.webp


1790012784112.webp



Seated ohp and Hammer incline press improving, but nothing else.
weight going down and bench staying up is a solid indicator- its not like you lost 20lbs on your bench while your scale ticked down-
 
When it comes to smiths, they are valuable for a lot of things, but also if you have access to a full gym you can find other machines that do a better job than them, but they do a great job in a limited capacity. I do prefer the ones with a slight angle on them. I can make them a much closer to natural movement on those.

However, I would still choose a hack squat, or bench machine or any other machine that is purpose built if available.
 
Squat 4 x 4 x 265
GHR negatives x couple sets
Lunges +24kg 2 sets
Lying Leg Curls 2 sets
Machine Shrugs 3 sets
Hammer Curls 3 sets
Machine Preacher Curls 2 sets

Meh.
 
Squat 4 x 4 x 265
GHR negatives x couple sets
Lunges +24kg 2 sets
Lying Leg Curls 2 sets
Machine Shrugs 3 sets
Hammer Curls 3 sets
Machine Preacher Curls 2 sets

Meh.
No Meh, you got in there and pushed, it is a win!
 
No Meh, you got in there and pushed, it is a win!
Another meh workout today 😏

Seated BB OHP 4 x 4 x 155
Pullups 4 sets
Dips 3 sets
Cable Rows 3 sets
Viking OHP 1 fun set
GHR 1 negative set
Sled Push 2 moderate sets
Seated Lateral Raise 3 sets

Out of town guest pass at a local gym. They had some great equipment like the viking ohp attachment and a quality GHR. The seated BB OHP was garbage though. The pins behind were basically overhead which didnt allow me to really press overhead, so i kept bouncing the barbell off the rack pins. Killed it 🤬. Whatever. I’ll be back to my gym Monday.

Haven’t cheated on my diet yet, but defintely went over maintenance kcal yesterday, all quality foods though. Today , there will likely be a real cheat meal as well as tomorrow night.
 
Back from the trip. Only 2 legit cheat meals including desserts (just ice cream though). Otherwise, lots of double grilled chicken with Siracha subs from subway. I likely went over maintenance every day by 500-1000 still, but FAR better than I’ve ever done going to where we went. Woke up at 208.8 today. If i recall correctly, the last time we visited the in-laws, i woke up at 219.8, so I’m happy. 8 weeks of cutting begins again today!

Edit: forgot to mention, i was sleeping so good and felt great with all those extra calories😂
 
Last edited:
8 weeks of cutting begins again today!
I need to jump on that bandwagon, I believe you are officially lighter than me now or very very close. I've been averaging 206 lately but did not bother checking this morning cause I figured it was 208-210 after last nights burgers on pretzel buns lol.
 
I need to jump on that bandwagon, I believe you are officially lighter than me now or very very close. I've been averaging 206 lately but did not bother checking this morning cause I figured it was 208-210 after last nights burgers on pretzel buns lol.
Yeah, but if i was as lean as you, id still be gaining. The weight is meaningless, right?
 
The weight is meaningless, right?
Only kinda, i've definitely turned the corner a little bit where the gut has also expanded (I can tell when I put on my belt for squats/pulls) so I need to cut an inch off the gut IMO. everything else is fine, I'm mostly OK with shirts not fitting because the shoulders and arms are too big (LOL) and the pants and boxer briefs getting tight cause the badonkadonk, but when the gut expands its time to reel it in, imo...
 
Only kinda, i've definitely turned the corner a little bit where the gut has also expanded (I can tell when I put on my belt for squats/pulls) so I need to cut an inch off the gut IMO. everything else is fine, I'm mostly OK with shirts not fitting because the shoulders and arms are too big (LOL) and the pants and boxer briefs getting tight cause the badonkadonk, but when the gut expands its time to reel it in, imo...
I hear ya on that!
 
I was about to say, there is no way he is as lean as you are thinking at a 206 average. I am sure he doesn't look sloppy, but he probably looks a lot more like a bear than you are imagining.
 
Weight: 205.7

Couple things from the past few workouts since dropping kcal again.

Flat Bench 4 x 6 x 225
Seated BBOHP 4 x 4 x 155
NG Pullups 4 x 4 x BW
Squat 3 x 5 x 255
GHR-modded Back Extensions 3 x 3 x BW

Sleep getting a little disrupted already. Kcal at 2800 the past 2 days. Will likely hit 3k today but that’s fine.
 
Back
Top