Building Back Up

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Remind me... have you been trying melatonin or zma before bed? now that the month of sobriety has ended for my wife and I, I think I hate alcohol lol. I had 3 shots last night... the equivalent of maybe 1.5 or even just one tall bourbon by my December standards and I feel like crap today. Wife hates when I drink diet coke cause of the garbage in it, but I'm thinking that's my go to instead of bourbon.
Last time I took zma or any form of zinc, I didn't sleep. I've tried melatonin at doses from 300mcg to 5mg, and all result in getting some more sleep (not enough total though) but feeling worse the next day.

Glad to hear your giving up the alcohol!!!

LOL shouldn't be hard. remind me your old 1rm bench? wasn't it like mid 3's? closer I get to 300 I just start drooling over the idea of 3 plates.
I never maxed at my strongest, but it was 315 for 5. I was doing a progressive 5 sets of 5 back then, so that workout was 5 reps of 295, 300, 305, 310, 315. The next day my shoulder hurt like crazy, and everything started going downhill from there. I'm drooling over benching 225 for reps 😆

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Diet soda has no calories, does not disrupt fasting, does not have sugar, and it is flat out a non-issue in moderation.

We know the aspartame in it breaks down to methanol and formaldehyde. These are toxic compounds that are harmful to the body, yet in reality the trivial dosages end up not being enough to cause toxicity (consumed responsibly). You can have a can, probably 2 every day of your life without reaching toxic levels. As long as you don’t go drinking 2 liters daily, you’ll be fine.

Compare that to regular soda, which we know just the sheer added sugar content alone will cause health issues associated with metabolic syndrome at far less than a 2 liter daily, or alcohol which needs no explanation for most to understand its inherent toxicity.

IMHO, the biggest things to watch with diet soda consumption is potential for appetite increase/sugar cravings, and gut health (artificial sweeteners in sufficient quantity will disrupt the gut biome and cause stomach distress, even potentially causing acid reflux).

TLDR, diet soda is better than drinking alcohol by a long shot. Moderation is still important.
@Dustin07 Or switch to Zevia, particularly orange flavor. Love those.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Diet soda has no calories, does not disrupt fasting, does not have sugar, and it is flat out a non-issue in moderation.

We know the aspartame in it breaks down to methanol and formaldehyde. These are toxic compounds that are harmful to the body, yet in reality the trivial dosages end up not being enough to cause toxicity (consumed responsibly). You can have a can, probably 2 every day of your life without reaching toxic levels. As long as you don’t go drinking 2 liters daily, you’ll be fine.

Compare that to regular soda, which we know just the sheer added sugar content alone will cause health issues associated with metabolic syndrome at far less than a 2 liter daily, or alcohol which needs no explanation for most to understand its inherent toxicity.

IMHO, the biggest things to watch with diet soda consumption is potential for appetite increase/sugar cravings, and gut health (artificial sweeteners in sufficient quantity will disrupt the gut biome and cause stomach distress, even potentially causing acid reflux).

TLDR, diet soda is better than drinking alcohol by a long shot. Moderation is still important.
Years ago I recall a study indicating that the needed amount of aspartame to cause cancer in rats was equal to like 2600 diet cokes. Other studies have shown that those use use diet sodas are more likely to lose fat (vs older studies that suggested artificial sweeteners lead to cravings and fat gain). I think the "amount" of aspartame required to cause toxicity issues has been found to be lower than 2,600 cokes in a day but.. again... I agree with you. my diet coke habit is probably an average of 4 diet cokes a month right now, lol.

But I find it to be an interesting alternative when golfing, or chilling with my son, etc. I can't even remember the last time I had a regular full sugar soda pop or drink of any kind to be honest. my regular life is either electrolytes, an occasional diet coke, BCAA's (just cause I like the flavored water, but not while fasting obviously), and until recently evening bourbon.

One thing I have learned to accept about studies though is that they are studies and tell us what we know "so far".

Last time I took zma or any form of zinc, I didn't sleep. I've tried melatonin at doses from 300mcg to 5mg, and all result in getting some more sleep (not enough total though) but feeling worse the next day.

Glad to hear your giving up the alcohol!!!

I never maxed at my strongest, but it was 315 for 5. I was doing a progressive 5 sets of 5 back then, so that workout was 5 reps of 295, 300, 305, 310, 315. The next day my shoulder hurt like crazy, and everything started going downhill from there. I'm drooling over benching 225 for reps 😆
315 x 5... I have a ways to go lol.
that's crazy about the ZMA. it usually gave me the craziest dreams and heaviest sleep...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
oh I do like sugar free redbull though. those I tend to drink more frequently

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the benching progress!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Years ago I recall a study indicating that the needed amount of aspartame to cause cancer in rats was equal to like 2600 diet cokes. Other studies have shown that those use use diet sodas are more likely to lose fat (vs older studies that suggested artificial sweeteners lead to cravings and fat gain). I think the "amount" of aspartame required to cause toxicity issues has been found to be lower than 2,600 cokes in a day but.. again... I agree with you. my diet coke habit is probably an average of 4 diet cokes a month right now, lol.

But I find it to be an interesting alternative when golfing, or chilling with my son, etc. I can't even remember the last time I had a regular full sugar soda pop or drink of any kind to be honest. my regular life is either electrolytes, an occasional diet coke, BCAA's (just cause I like the flavored water, but not while fasting obviously), and until recently evening bourbon.

One thing I have learned to accept about studies though is that they are studies and tell us what we know "so far".

315 x 5... I have a ways to go lol.
that's crazy about the ZMA. it usually gave me the craziest dreams and heaviest sleep...
It used to do the same for me, then everything got weird about 5 years ago, and I became super sensitive to everything.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Took 3mg lunesta last night. Fell asleep around 9:30pm, woke up to pee about 1am for about 10 minutes, then back asleep until 4:15am or so. But I slept great in both blocks while dreaming hard. I didn't take the trazodone because it's a year old from dispensary, but after reading further about prescription expiration dates, I plan to still give it a shot tonight. Yay for sleep!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey you’d asked about getting Thiamine intake. I picked this up today for my son to occasionally sprinkle “golden pixie dust” on his food for the extra B vitamins - it tasted really good, very subtle but if like anything like cheese flakes. It’s in the umami class of flavors. I put it on my eggs and potatoes & will continue to use it. He was wetting his fingers and eating it straight off of them!

IMG_7658.JPG

IMG_7659.JPG

3g of this stuff hits most of your B needs for the day, and 9mg Niacin.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hey you’d asked about getting Thiamine intake. I picked this up today for my son to occasionally sprinkle “golden pixie dust” on his food for the extra B vitamins - it tasted really good, very subtle but if like anything like cheese flakes. It’s in the umami class of flavors. I put it on my eggs and potatoes & will continue to use it. He was wetting his fingers and eating it straight off of them!

View attachment 228729
View attachment 228730

3g of this stuff hits most of your B needs for the day, and 9mg Niacin.
Where did you buy it?

Took lunesta again last night. Unsure if it's safe to alternate days with trazodone? Lunesta is working great, but I'm only prescribed 10 per month...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Where did you buy it?

Took lunesta again last night. Unsure if it's safe to alternate days with trazodone? Lunesta is working great, but I'm only prescribed 10 per month...
Kroger, in the baking aisle. I have seen this brand sold at many different groceries though, sometimes in the more organic/hippy sections. It’s a great brand for alternate flours btw.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 218

The pizza weekend really did a number there, but I can still see the progress I've made in my abdominal outline, so really just glycogen mostly.

Yesterday's WO:
Deadlift Top Set 2x375
Standing OH Press 12x95, 8x115, 4x135
Neutral Grip Pullup (don't recall progression, but last set 3 x body weight)
Depth Pushup 2x12
DB Lateral Raise 3x10x12's
BB Shrug 10x135, 8x155, 6x175

Still sleeping poorly on the night of my workouts, but I'm nowhere near as sore as I used to be. Time to increase volume. But, I think i just need to take lunesta or trazodone in my workout nights and be done with it.

Still using 6-7mg testosterone daily. Libido up. Glycogen storage seems to be enhanced as well (looking more full at 218 than when I was 221 a few weeks ago). Getting bloodwork done soon for several different things.
Weight: 217.2

Workout:

Deadlift Top Set 2x385
Standing OH Press 8x115, 7x125, 6x135
Neutral Grip Pullup 5, 4, 3 x BW
Depth Pushup 2x12
BB Shrug 10x135, 6x185, 6x185
DB Lateral Raise 3x12x12's

Everything progressed a bit this workout. Finally doing sets of bodyweight pull ups! Almost feel like a real man again 😆

Edit: forgot to mention, felt that pulling in my lower stomach again during Deadlift, so I'm sure I could've done 405 for 2, but didn't want to risk it.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work!

@Hyde going to have to look into that too. Good enough for a popcorn topping?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work!

@Hyde going to have to look into that too. Good enough for a popcorn topping?
Yes, definitely, just like it says on the bag. It’s a slightly cheesy umami flavor, savory but not salty. I will be doing that next time I make any popcorn. I had some on my salmon and potatoes with plain Greek yogurt yesterday and it was great.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yes, definitely, just like it says on the bag. It’s a slightly cheesy umami flavor, savory but not salty. I will be doing that next time I make any popcorn. I had some on my salmon and potatoes with plain Greek yogurt yesterday and it was great.
Sounds like it might go well on the Annie's Mac and cheese I make all the time 😆

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Slept awesome last night, even for a workout night. Lunesta to the rescue. But I'm still waking up way earlier then I need to...4:45am today so I know it's not right yet. But, I'll take the win.

For tonight, trazodone or nothing is the question...I'm trying to not get hooked on lunesta since I only have 17 more.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Didn't take anything tonight to sleep, and been awake since 1:15am. Looking back over the past 6 months, I think my sleep was better when my testosterone was low, because it's getting worse. I've done 7mg daily the past week or so.

Edit: got another couple hours sleep so maybe totaled 5 hours. Lunesta tonight. Sent a message in to my doctor for a renewed trazodone script since the one I have here I filled a year ago.

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Didn't take anything tonight to sleep, and been awake since 1:15am. Looking back over the past 6 months, I think my sleep was better when my testosterone was low, because it's getting worse. I've done 7mg daily the past week or so.

Edit: got another couple hours sleep so maybe totaled 5 hours. Lunesta tonight. Sent a message in to my doctor for a renewed trazodone script since the one I have here I filled a year ago.
I think that is a bit of a jump to a conclusion considering your condition and the fact you have really upped your training intensity since increasing testosterone. The increase in intensity would affect your condition by limiting your ability to sleep from everything you have said.

Just trying to make sure you are looking at the big picture and not just the testosterone aspect.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I think that is a bit of a jump to a conclusion considering your condition and the fact you have really upped your training intensity since increasing testosterone. The increase in intensity would affect your condition by limiting your ability to sleep from everything you have said.

Just trying to make sure you are looking at the big picture and not just the testosterone aspect.
I can't remember if he's a morning lifter or PM lifter. I had a great month of sleep in January personally and then all the sudden this past Sunday I did not sleep at all. I basically was still staring at the clock until 1am, then I think I dozed until 3. I had a killer session on both Saturday and Sunday then Sunday night did not sleep a wink, but Monday sleep patterns returned to normal.

Only reason I bring that up is because occasional bad sleep happens... could be the lifting as Kleen mentioned. maybe the full moon. IDK. I know how much it can suck to not get quality sleep for days, weeks or months on end so if anything my only real top advice would be try not to over think it cause that will only make it worse if it's stress related.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You gotta put on the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit movies. I love those movies but I can never make it through one straight, so if I put them on it’s guaranteed lights out before the end.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You gotta put on the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit movies. I love those movies but I can never make it through one straight, so if I put them on it’s guaranteed lights out before the end.
Yep, that will do it! When my mind doesn't want to shut off putting on a familiar movie I enjoy but won't get wrapped up in needing to know what happens knocks me out for sure. The long developing stories like Lord of The Rings, and The Hobbit are perfect for that.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
also acceptable answers are the Flight Attendant, Golden Girls, Night Court, Cheers, and Futurama

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
BB Bench 5x195, 5x205, 5x215
Incline Cable Press 12x7, 10x12
Squat 5x225, 5x245
BB Row 3x6x135
Cable Upright Row 12x42.5, 10x50, 10x57.5
OH Cable Extension 3x8x35
DB Curl 3x8x20's
DB Lateral Raise 8x8's

Felt pretty good this workout. No cramping or weird pulling in my abs...attributing that to the increase in dietary potassium (or folate, unsure). I'm getting so close to benching 225 for reps...can't wait.

Also, I really pushed this workout, so unless I finally take trazodone or lunesta tonight, I won't be sleeping 😆
Weight: 215.6

Workout:
BB Bench 5x205, 5x215, 5x225
Incline Cable Press 3 x 8, 8, 10 x 12.5
Squat Top Set 5x235
BB Row 12x95, 2 x 10 x 135
Cable Upright Row 12x42.5, 12x50, 10x57.5
OH Cable Extension 3 x 10, 9, 6 x 35
DB Curl 2 x 10 x 20's

Finally benched 225! It's been years that I remember. Increased weight or rep on everything except squats and curls, squats because I don't really care and my workout was running long already, but by the time I got to Curls, I was just smoked.

I'm hitting around 20 working sets. Is that a lot or normal for most would y'all say?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm hitting around 20 working sets. Is that a lot or normal for most would y'all say?
I have no idea. everyone talks a lot about how many sets. Cutler has some interesting discussions on it. I think it varies by what's going on. If I do:

10 x 95, 135, 185
5 x 225, 245, 265, 285
3 x 10 x 225

I consider those last 7 sets working sets.
then I'll do 3 x 8 RDL, maybe 3 x 8 GM. that's 6 more sets so I'm at 13.

then probably 3 x 10 extensions, 3 x 10 leg curls. there's 19.

If I have gas left I'll add arms work. If I warm up with 10 x 30lb dbs and then do 10 x 40,45,50s... 3 more sets...

I guess my answer is yes 20 seems like a full workload lol

it takes me a long time to get warm these days and work out the aches and pains.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Workout:
Squat Top Set 5x235
DB Curl 2 x 10 x 20's

Finally benched 225! It's been years that I remember. Increased weight or rep on everything except squats and curls, squats because I don't really care and my workout was running long already, but by the time I got to Curls, I was just smoked.

Getting the magic back! Congratulations!!!

I don’t count my sets over a session. I think that loses all context when you haven’t established loading parameters like % of 1RM or RPE. Prilipen’s Chart is a perfect example of how intensity dictates optimal volume across compound barbell work. Also, a set of calf raises isn’t as difficult as a set of squats. No amount of cable tricep extensions will replace one decently hard effort set of bench press. One is a rock to fill the jar, the other is barely a pebble.

If you can honestly say “I worked hard today”, you probably did enough. If you have any doubts, you could probably try to twist the dial up slightly and re-evaluate.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got some bloodwork back! Looks like I have a few things to address. What's interesting though is the difference between the Testosterone results from Quest vs this lab. The follow up with the doctor is in a couple weeks.

B12
362 pg/mL (250 pg/mL - 900 pg/mL)

Testosterone
428 ng/dL (168 ng/dL - 758 ng/dL)

Cortisol
9.8 ug/dL

Pregnenolone
11 ng/dL

Progesterone
< 0.1 ng/mL (0.0-0.5)

Free Testosterone Direct LC
8.2 pg/mL (Low) (8.7-25.1)

Methylmalonate, Serum.LC
142 nmol/L (0-378)

DHEA
67.0 ug/dL (Low) (102.6-416.3)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm curious to see how you scientists break this down and explain pros and cons while I watch since it is largely over my head.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm curious to see how you scientists break this down and explain pros and cons while I watch since it is largely over my head.
Nothing really to say other than test is still low because he’s still only on 49mg/wk, and he could benefit from some transdermal DHEA (which would also help raise testosterone some).

And he could do with some more steaks or a B12 supplement obviously.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nothing really to say other than test is still low because he’s still only on 49mg/wk, and he could benefit from some transdermal DHEA (which would also help raise testosterone some).

Well, that was only a week into the dosage change...gotta give it longer then that. Remember though when I was on 9-10mg daily my HCT was already 52-53 and free T top of range.

Regarding b12, I've been taking 500mcg daily for 8 months, and eating 4 whole eggs per day with about a pound of chicken thighs per day, and my b12 dropped from 500 to 362. I found some research from the 70's that taking 1g vitamin C with meals can destroy the b12 in the meal. Either that, or covid dropped my levels. Or that MTRR mutation. I'll probably ask for injections this time though.

I'll likely start sublingual dhea, because I've tried transdermal at 25mg daily and it didn't move my levels at all. At one point, 12mg sublingual dhea had me within normal range.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Dr Hyde prescribes steak and test. Now this is a physician I want to subscribe to.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, that was only a week into the dosage change...gotta give it longer then that. Remember though when I was on 9-10mg daily my HCT was already 52-53 and free T top of range.

Regarding b12, I've been taking 500mcg daily for 8 months, and eating 4 whole eggs per day with about a pound of chicken thighs per day, and my b12 dropped from 500 to 362. I found some research from the 70's that taking 1g vitamin C with meals can destroy the b12 in the meal. Either that, or covid dropped my levels. Or that MTRR mutation. I'll probably ask for injections this time though.

I'll likely start sublingual dhea, because I've tried transdermal at 25mg daily and it didn't move my levels at all. At one point, 12mg sublingual dhea had me within normal range.
That’s great you know sublingual works for you - much easier to use, it’s a no brainer here.

I know it will still climb but I don’t expect it will be 800. If you don’t want that, or are in no hurry, I can appreciate that.

Also, 52 & 53 HCT are not dangerous if you don’t have other serious compound risk factors. Reasonable bodyweight, decent conditioning, and especially a healthy blood pressure range without awful HDL & Triglyceride levels mean you wouldn’t be at risk. That’s very different from an overweight unhealthy 70 year old man with atherosclerosis (the population that the studies correlating elevated hematocrit to strokes were extrapolating from).

The thing about testosterone is that it will elevate HGB, HCT, RBC…and then often stay there, unless you have polycythemia or you move into abusive dosage ranges. It will be high normal, but it’s just the new normal, same as an endurance athlete will see on the bloodwork. It’s not inherently dangerous in the otherwise healthy individual.

On B12, it’s not that you’re doing anything wrong, but if the levels are lower AND you want them higher you probably need to use more. Same as someone eating a ton but not gaining weight, the answer is still ‘more’ if that is the goal. Which it may not be if you feel good.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
also acceptable answers are the Flight Attendant, Golden Girls, Night Court, Cheers, and Futurama
The Flight Attendant, great show I didn't really expect to enjoy as much as I did.
Maybe some edibles were also involved in fish watching?
Not edibles, just straight up smoking. I didn't really get into edibles until starting to get the legalized gummies and stuff when traveling. Just couldn't justify using so much flower to make my own edibles until I really started liking them after using some potent gummies. Now I can make an oil or butter that could have an elephant seeing vivid colors and saying "LIKE WHOAH MANNNN!!!"
Getting the magic back! Congratulations!!!

I don’t count my sets over a session. I think that loses all context when you haven’t established loading parameters like % of 1RM or RPE. Prilipen’s Chart is a perfect example of how intensity dictates optimal volume across compound barbell work. Also, a set of calf raises isn’t as difficult as a set of squats. No amount of cable tricep extensions will replace one decently hard effort set of bench press. One is a rock to fill the jar, the other is barely a pebble.

If you can honestly say “I worked hard today”, you probably did enough. If you have any doubts, you could probably try to twist the dial up slightly and re-evaluate.
This ^^^ I often look at my overall sets for the week and think well that isn't a lot per body part but I also know the quality of my sets and how much they take out of me is always very high. I know the work I am able to get out of the sets I do is also far more than someone who has not already been lifting for 38 years and developed the mind muscle connection I have.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The Flight Attendant, great show I didn't really expect to enjoy as much as I did.
Our big three right now are the Flight Attendant, Barry, and Terminal List. I'd say Terminal List is the mans version of Flight Attendant but it's sorta a mix of FA and Barry lol. I'm enjoying all three but damn Terminal List is GOOOOOOOD. Best show I've seen in it's genre since Extraction on netflix (also pretty damn good)

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s great you know sublingual works for you - much easier to use, it’s a no brainer here.

I know it will still climb but I don’t expect it will be 800. If you don’t want that, or are in no hurry, I can appreciate that.

Also, 52 & 53 HCT are not dangerous if you don’t have other serious compound risk factors. Reasonable bodyweight, decent conditioning, and especially a healthy blood pressure range without awful HDL & Triglyceride levels mean you wouldn’t be at risk. That’s very different from an overweight unhealthy 70 year old man with atherosclerosis (the population that the studies correlating elevated hematocrit to strokes were extrapolating from).

The thing about testosterone is that it will elevate HGB, HCT, RBC…and then often stay there, unless you have polycythemia or you move into abusive dosage ranges. It will be high normal, but it’s just the new normal, same as an endurance athlete will see on the bloodwork. It’s not inherently dangerous in the otherwise healthy individual.

On B12, it’s not that you’re doing anything wrong, but if the levels are lower AND you want them higher you probably need to use more. Same as someone eating a ton but not gaining weight, the answer is still ‘more’ if that is the goal. Which it may not be if you feel good.
Right on. With all of this, I'm just trying to take it slow because I've landed myself in the ER many times with crazy side effects from messing with this stuff. There's nothing worse than all night insomnia with crippling anxiety that feels like a massive heart attack while overstimulated. That was the longest night of my life.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Best night of sleep in months last night. Almost 9 hours and only woke up twice. Took lunesta on a completely empty stomach. Also moved my 7mg testosterone shot to evening.

Current supplements:

With breakfast:
5000iu D3 (No mk7)
1g EPA/DHA

500mcg calcium ascorbate later in the day, twice on empty stomach

Current kcal are way out of range on a weekend away which may also be playing a role. I'm going to add things back in slowly to see if it's something I was taking causing the issues. My anxiety and mood has been so much more improved also.

My highest suspicion is on magnesium citrate for the insomnia. I've been on this same supplement protocol except with mk7 K2 and mag citrate for about the past week and still had poor sleep and resulting mood issues. I'll add magnesium in last.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 221

Wow. Can't believe I've gained it all back from 1 weekend away. Have another weekend out of town in 2 weeks. Going to cut harder until that weekend to see if I can get ahead of it, but don't plan on any "family style" meals that weekend.

Workout coming later today.

Side note, NFL is rigged.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 217.2

Workout:

Deadlift Top Set 2x385
Standing OH Press 8x115, 7x125, 6x135
Neutral Grip Pullup 5, 4, 3 x BW
Depth Pushup 2x12
BB Shrug 10x135, 6x185, 6x185
DB Lateral Raise 3x12x12's

Everything processed a bit this workout. Finally doing sets of bodyweight pull ups! Almost feel like a real man again 😆

Edit: forgot to mention, felt that pulling in my lower stomach again during Deadlift, so I'm sure I could've done 405 for 2, but didn't want to risk it.
Deadlift Top Set 2x395
Standing OH Press 12x95, 8x115, 5x135, 3x145
Neutral Grip Pullup 4, 4, 3 x Bw
Perfect Pushup 8, 6, 6
BB Shrug 10x135, 6x185, 8x185
DB Lateral Raise 3x12x10's

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice session!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Workout:
Squat Top Set 5x235
DB Curl 2 x 10 x 20's

Weight: 217.6

BB Bench 4x5x205
Incline Cable Press 3x10x12.5
BB Row 12x95, 10x115, 2 x 8 x 125
Squat Top Set 2x295
Cable Upright Row 12x32.5, 10x42.5, 8x52.5
OH Cable Extension 3x10x32.5
DB Curls 12x20's, 6x25's, 4x25's

Keep hitting a wall by the time I get to Curls. Looks like I'll have a 315 squat again soon.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

BB Bench 4x5x205
Squat Top Set 2x295

Keep hitting a wall by the time I get to Curls. Looks like I'll have a 315 squat again soon.
If your rows are going up don't sweat the curls not moving up frequently. You are still getting plenty stimulation for elbow flexion with the rows.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Update: Slept amazing last night. After a few trial and errors, I think high dose vitamin C, maybe only in the form of ascorbic acid, is causing more issues. I only took 500mg calcium ascorbate yesterday, worked out hard, and still slept great. Granted, I did take lunesta but most other lunesta nights weren't that great.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Weight: 221

Wow. Can't believe I've gained it all back from 1 weekend away. Have another weekend out of town in 2 weeks. Going to cut harder until that weekend to see if I can get ahead of it, but don't plan on any "family style" meals that weekend.
weekend water weight lol

BB Bench 4x5x205
Squat Top Set 2x295
you're a tougher guy than me. when it comes to the big three I have to split them into their own days unless its just accessory work. I don't think I can have a good bench day AND squat day in the same session

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Deadlift Top Set 2x395
Standing OH Press 12x95, 8x115, 5x135, 3x145
Neutral Grip Pullup 4, 4, 3 x Bw
Perfect Pushup 8, 6, 6
BB Shrug 10x135, 6x185, 8x185
DB Lateral Raise 3x12x10's
Deadlift Top Set 1x405
Standing OH Press 4x5x125
Neutral Grip Pullup 3x3xBW
Close Grip Bench 3x8x135
BB Shrug 3x10x135
DB Lateral Raise 3x10x10's

Felt so weak. Took 100mg trazodone last night...felt quite groggy and ate a ton of junk at a hockey game causing awful palpitations all night. Felt pretty bad during the workout.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
weekend water weight lol

you're a tougher guy than me. when it comes to the big three I have to split them into their own days unless its just accessory work. I don't think I can have a good bench day AND squat day in the same session
Lol
Well, I've been training most of my life with big lifts in the same workout. I actually enjoy it. But, I also don't have the time to go every day.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol
Well, I've been training most of my life with big lifts in the same workout. I actually enjoy it. But, I also don't have the time to go every day.
yeah I'm running a 2 on 1 off split right now that's working really really well. so well, I don't want to change it. but it means every week my lifting days are a little different.... like tomorrow...a tuesday... is a rest day. seems so random to rest on a Tuesday. although it is sorta nice to just go home knowing I got the work in already.