MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wish I had a reason for it like you guys do. Today is pretty bad. Feel like trash. Still did my 30 minute hill walk though. Weight: 219

Been thinking about something for a while. In the past, I used to grill steak and portion it out after since I knew what the starting weight was. The past year or so, I've been making a bunch of chicken thighs and breasts in the pressure cooker and would weigh out 8 Oz after. I've recently realized I'm going through 8 to 10 pounds of chicken by myself way too fast. I wonder if the pressure cooker dehydrates the chicken more then steak on the grill, and 8oz of shredded chicken is more like 12 Oz or more. A calorie is a calorie, right? If I've been overeating the protein and fat from chicken, could it hold back my cutting progress?
Most definitely could. One thing to consider is chicken at the store typically has a 25% saline solution injected into it to keep it moist. Almost all of that is going to cook out, but the label should include that in the weight when it gives you the grams per ounce. I know some people think it is best to weigh out meat after cooking but it is not always going to be right. @Smont seems to have a pretty decent model of how he does his, whenever it is a lean meat he counts all cooked meat as having 10g of protien. So if you are talking about chicken breast it is probably safe to assume you have been getting 80g of protein in 8 grams of cooked chicken. Now a chicken thigh that is going to be different. However you can expect a 25% shrinkage there due to the saline solution injected in it. As muscle fibers are cooked they tighten and squeeze the liquids out, this is where most of the lost weight comes from while the actual protein in the muscle fiber stays the same even at the new lower weight.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Most definitely could. One thing to consider is chicken at the store typically has a 25% saline solution injected into it to keep it moist. Almost all of that is going to cook out, but the label should include that in the weight when it gives you the grams per ounce. I know some people think it is best to weigh out meat after cooking but it is not always going to be right. @Smont seems to have a pretty decent model of how he does his, whenever it is a lean meat he counts all cooked meat as having 10g of protien. So if you are talking about chicken breast it is probably safe to assume you have been getting 80g of protein in 8 grams of cooked chicken. Now a chicken thigh that is going to be different. However you can expect a 25% shrinkage there due to the saline solution injected in it. As muscle fibers are cooked they tighten and squeeze the liquids out, this is where most of the lost weight comes from while the actual protein in the muscle fiber stays the same even at the new lower weight.
It varies depending on what the meat is and how you cook it. If you grill the chicken or the leanest cuts of beef it ends up being about 10gm of protein per Oz cooked weight. I'm not sure about in the pressure cooker but just remember, you can only cook off fat and liquid, your not cooking off the protein so Technically the dryer the meat the more protein per ounce, that's why there's more protein in an ounce of beef jerky than there isn't an ounce of cooked hamburger

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I can't remember off the top of my head but I haven't written down but I think when I cook up a 5 pound package of chicken breast I usually end up with 3 and a 1/2 pounds after it's cooked, same for filet, sirloin and London broil

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If I remember correctly before mine broke it would definitely leech out a lot of the water due to the added pressure of the pressure cooker during cooking.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My wife switched to a different brand of ground turkey because it's cleaner (the old stuff I kept finding bones, etc) and to be honest I'm pissed. I'm barely getting 16oz total after cooking 2lbs of it. I used to get 24+oz even after it was cooked down.

as far as your chicken consumption, idk. I eat about 2lbs worth of chicken in protein a day. not all from chicken of course, but that's damn near what macros have been the past couple months. I wouldn't think the pressure cooker would change it that much but since I cook chicken every single sunday I do one of two things:

toss it in the oven on foil
or toss it on the grill

either way when it's done I pull it out, wrap it in foil for a half hour. it finishes far juicier. anything we cook in the pressure cooker always seems super juicy to me though...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
for a cutting diet I'd prefer to get my fat intake from fish and red meat vs chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are delicious but at an added fat cost.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I wish I had a reason for it like you guys do. Today is pretty bad. Feel like trash. Still did my 30 minute hill walk though. Weight: 219
have you discussed the sleep issues with the dr ? I can't recall if you had gone that route yet

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah, they just gave me sleep meds.
Seriously? Did they even attempt to address the issue or just say pop some of these. I'm not saying there's no benefits to sleep meds, some ppl need them but I hate when dr.s hand out bandaids without even trying 😤

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My wife switched to a different brand of ground turkey because it's cleaner (the old stuff I kept finding bones, etc) and to be honest I'm pissed. I'm barely getting 16oz total after cooking 2lbs of it. I used to get 24+oz even after it was cooked down.

as far as your chicken consumption, idk. I eat about 2lbs worth of chicken in protein a day. not all from chicken of course, but that's damn near what macros have been the past couple months. I wouldn't think the pressure cooker would change it that much but since I cook chicken every single sunday I do one of two things:

toss it in the oven on foil
or toss it on the grill

either way when it's done I pull it out, wrap it in foil for a half hour. it finishes far juicier. anything we cook in the pressure cooker always seems super juicy to me though...
So after the pressure cooker finishes, it's super juicy at that time, but I take the chicken out the juice and store it. It ends up very dry when I eat it again.

I don't know about the protein thing. My goal is to eat around 150g protein per day, up to 200g tops. At my body fat level, I don't believe eating 1g per pound is necessary. I don't know though. Something isn't right there either.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Seriously? Did they even attempt to address the issue or just say pop some of these. I'm not saying there's no benefits to sleep meds, some ppl need them but I hate when dr.s hand out bandaids without even trying 😤
Yep. That's it. I had sleep apnea ruled out years ago but it's time for another sleep study probably.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So after the pressure cooker finishes, it's super juicy at that time, but I take the chicken out the juice and store it. It ends up very dry when I eat it again.

I don't know about the protein thing. My goal is to eat around 150g protein per day, up to 200g tops. At my body fat level, I don't believe eating 1g per pound is necessary. I don't know though. Something isn't right there either.
As much as I talk about hitting protein goals and getting x amount. There's a pretty wide range that works. And while hitting specific macros might be a massive deal for a shredded 250lb pro bodybuilder it's not nearly as important for us regular guys just trying to be a little bigger then the average joe.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

ha yeah it's definitely overcooked then, but now that I think of it my wife and I don't really cook lean meats in the pressure cooker. usually large slabs of beef or pork. The meats of the peasants, I find, are usually the best cuts of the animal. they just take a lot longer to cook than a ribeye.

maybe try baking the thicken in the oven until it's like 5f below ideal internal temp, then pull out and let it finish in foil. that always works hella good for me. my wife likes the poultry on the dry side but I'm with you, I like it juicier. or actually another thought, since it's juicy when you pull it out, wrap it tight in foil for a half hour+ then see if that helps.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Get a Sous Vide cooker for your poultry and you will love it. Truly keeps things juicy and absolutely no chance of overcooking it. It only gets as hot as the water surrounding it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks guys. Right now we're trying to not spend money on anything, but I'll keep the recommendations in the back pocket. Otherwise, ill be reducing the amount of chicken I'm eating per meal given that 1oz is likely 10g protein.

Weight: 218!

Today's Workout was also lower like the previous one, about 80% of where I was. Not really worth posting numbers.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My wife has been cleaning up on the Fred Meyers chicken bogo the past 2 weeks. I think she bought nearly 20 packs at $8 each lol... we have been diminishing our beef and fish stock so she's a good little food hoarder.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 215.6

Weight coming down nicely. My diet has been tight all week, within caloric limits. 2 more weeks until next cheat meal. Hoping to lose another 4 to 6 pounds by then. Stepping up the workouts this week, hoping to be back to full strength pre-covid, or at least close since my kcal are a bit lower.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Grilled 4 pounds of chicken thighs today and ended up with 2 pounds and 5 ounces. I've definitely been going over all my macros for a while 😆
Yesterday I cooked 2lbs of ground turkey and ended up with about 20oz cooked. I was pissed and told my wife this brand of turkey meat is WAY worse than the stuff she was getting cause I was getting like 26-28oz cooked. She said........... "those were 1.5lb packages"...... lol. I thought I had always been cooking 2 x 16oz. I was wrong. I guess they all suck.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yesterday I cooked 2lbs of ground turkey and ended up with about 20oz cooked. I was pissed and told my wife this brand of turkey meat is WAY worse than the stuff she was getting cause I was getting like 26-28oz cooked. She said........... "those were 1.5lb packages"...... lol. I thought I had always been cooking 2 x 16oz. I was wrong. I guess they all suck.
lol

I actually don't mind when it cooks down so far...I just wish I knew the past couple years. I've been way overeating on fatty meats 😆

Edit: let me clarify, I knew it cooked down, but had no idea it was so bad. At some point, I read the 8oz cooked down to 6.8oz, but apparently that was way off.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 221 again. Big ol' binge at a restaurant last night. Last one for 3 weeks (at least).

Today's Workout:
Deadlift Top Set 3x325
Standing OH Press 3x8x95
Assisted Neutral Grip Pullup 3x5xBW - 56
Depth Pushup 3x8
BB Shrug 3x6x135
DB Lateral Raise 10x10's, 2x8x12's

Hoping to be back to previous weights by next week. Nothing to failure today, but RPE6-8 on everything. Everything just feels heavy still. Sleeping like trash isn't helping but still getting it in.
Today's WO:

Deadlift 2x325, 2x345, 2x365
Standing OH Press 8x105, 7x115, 6x125
Assisted Neutral Grip Pullup 3 x 5, 5, 6 x BW-50
Depth Pushup 3x10
BB Shrug 3 x 8 x 135
DB Lateral Raise 3 x 8 x 12's

Felt like a great workout after a great night sleep. Slept 8 hours with only 2 or 3 wake ups. I think I finished every exercise with roughly 0-2 RIR.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome that learning that one thing about how far it cooks down is improving your efforts! Now the ride is going to be more enjoyable and motivation will come more easily.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
lol

I actually don't mind when it cooks down so far...I just wish I knew the past couple years. I've been way overeating on fatty meats 😆

Edit: let me clarify, I knew it cooked down, but had no idea it was so bad. At some point, I read the 8oz cooked down to 6.8oz, but apparently that was way off.
I think I only care because of inflation and I'm more aware of what it costs. My wife used to come home with a grocery bag and say can you believe all of this was $110?? But it would include a bottle of wine and a cheap bottle of whiskey. Today she brings the bag in and it's the same price but no alcohol. My prime protein sources (eggs and turkey) have gone through the roof so I'm just more aware of the lost weight when it cooks down.... lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think I only care because of inflation and I'm more aware of what it costs. My wife used to come home with a grocery bag and say can you believe all of this was $110?? But it would include a bottle of wine and a cheap bottle of whiskey. Today she brings the bag in and it's the same price but no alcohol. My prime protein sources (eggs and turkey) have gone through the roof so I'm just more aware of the lost weight when it cooks down.... lol
Yeah it is painful, probably going to start using higher fat beef and just boiling the fat out of it for a lot of my foods if things don't get better.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah it is painful, probably going to start using higher fat beef and just boiling the fat out of it for a lot of my foods if things don't get better.
My wife is a really good shopper. Past few years we took a half to a full cow from mom and dads farm and kept the freezer full but the past few weeks she found that BOGO on chicken breasts at fred meyers and I think she ended up getting like 20 packs of 6-8 breasts for around $8ea lol.

But even egg whites... used to get them at costco for $6.99/container (50g pro per container) now they're $11.99. that adds up fast. I mean... really a whole container is only like 50g. that's breakfast.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I hear ya. I can't believe an 18 pack of eggs is now $7. Crazy. And these rate hikes aren't working.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I hear ya. I can't believe an 18 pack of eggs is now $7. Crazy. And these rate hikes aren't working.
Half of this is created by policy, not actual inflation, but it is more fun to talk about lifting weights. :)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man when I discovered bottom round steak was cheaper at Sam’s Club than 93/7 beef, I was pumped. Beef has always been pricier, and it’s about $4.80/lb there now (but they are individually sealed 1lb packs which is awesome for portioning), so to have lean steaks cut at convenient 6-8oz raw size at like $4.40/lb is pretty great for me. I can just toss one in a pan while working and eat in 10 minutes.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Half of this is created by policy, not actual inflation, but it is more fun to talk about lifting weights. :)
What policy?
I'm not a scientist the way many are here but I am an economist and the issue for the past 6 years has always been one of supply and demand. For a few years we had policies that were pro supply, so inflation was essentially zero and even went negative at one point which makes all of us slightly wealthier as our buck goes further.

Current policies do not encourage supply, they instead are attacking demand as a way to "fix" things so we are all instead quite poorer.

In my not so humble opinion, inflation is fine. It's not the problem. But the cure is to boost supply. 100 widgets sell for $5 each every day of the week. But suddenly there is a widget shortage and the last 10 go for $50 each.

If you can get 1,000 widgets on the market, the price will drop to somewhere between $.50 and under $5ea. Unless Jevons paradox comes into play in which all bets are off 😅

But we don't JUST have bad policies intentionally making us poorer, we also have a massive influx of new retirees, much much higher than 2 years ago as the boomers finally hang it up. That's leaving a massive hole in our experienced workforce and further driving up issues such as labor shortages and increased wage costs which roll into the COGS for everything.

Man when I discovered bottom round steak was cheaper at Sam’s Club than 93/7 beef, I was pumped. Beef has always been pricier, and it’s about $4.80/lb there now (but they are individually sealed 1lb packs which is awesome for portioning), so to have lean steaks cut at convenient 6-8oz raw size at like $4.40/lb is pretty great for me. I can just toss one in a pan while working and eat in 10 minutes.
But realistically when you're looking at a few lbs a day of food it adds up a lot faster now than it did. pre inflation era I figured I ate breakfast and lunch combined every day for $3. Today the same food is costing closer to $7-8+ which is crazy. I mean I'm still saving money compared to coworkers who literally make an ubereats order every day but the jump is enough to be noticeable.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm. Once you boil out the weight, wouldn’t you still be losing out? I mean, if you buy 80/20 and cook it down to 93/7, the price per pound increases with each ounce lost.

My wife is a really good shopper. Past few years we took a half to a full cow from mom and dads farm and kept the freezer full but the past few weeks she found that BOGO on chicken breasts at fred meyers and I think she ended up getting like 20 packs of 6-8 breasts for around $8ea lol.

But even egg whites... used to get them at costco for $6.99/container (50g pro per container) now they're $11.99. that adds up fast. I mean... really a whole container is only like 50g. that's breakfast.
I’ve reduced eggs, whites, and turkey for this reason. It takes work to make egg whites taste good anyway.

I need to check this out. I have a membership to Sam’s and Costco, and try and monitor their prices. I scored big on some chicken tenderloins a couple of months back. Costco was selling it lower than breast meat.

I’ll stop on Publix and when their 93/7 is below $5 I’ll buy up what I can. Costco doesn’t have it, and I can’t remember whether Sams does. Thanks for the tip on bottom round!

I also keep plain GY at home and work and use it to flavor all meats and some sides. Ranch, sour cream, mixed with some bbq occasionally. Yum.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@RegisterJr - I honestly haven't done the math to see if it is a viable cost saving method in a long while. It used to be, shrinkage doesn't change the protein content so just looking it up 80/20 is 20g protein per 4oz and 80g per lb, 93/7 is 23g protein per 4 oz and 92g per lb.

At Kroger 80/20 is $4.49, and 93/7 is 6.49 per lb. So respectively you are paying 5.6 cents a gram of protein in the 80/20 and 7 cents per gram on 93/7 it does come out about a dollar cheaper on the 80/20. Not a lot but if you are pinching pennies.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
But realistically when you're looking at a few lbs a day of food it adds up a lot faster now than it did. pre inflation era I figured I ate breakfast and lunch combined every day for $3. Today the same food is costing closer to $7-8+ which is crazy. I mean I'm still saving money compared to coworkers who literally make an ubereats order every day but the jump is enough to be noticeable.
I’m not really discussing the obvious economic situation. It’s obviously bullspit, and we also obviously have zero control - I just wanted to point out that you really have to shop around if cost is a concern, because that’s all you can control (and tuning your diet to needs, not wants).

@RegisterJr - I honestly haven't done the math to see if it is a viable cost saving method in a long while. It used to be, shrinkage doesn't change the protein content so just looking it up 80/20 is 20g protein per 4oz and 80g per lb, 93/7 is 23g protein per 4 oz and 92g per lb.

At Kroger 80/20 is $4.49, and 93/7 is 6.49 per lb. So respectively you are paying 5.6 cents a gram of protein in the 80/20 and 7 cents per gram on 93/7 it does come out about a dollar cheaper on the 80/20. Not a lot but if you are pinching pennies.
I shop at Kroger every week, for lots of things. Never buy your meat there!

Eggs, fruit/veggies, canned/processed/frozen stuff, spices etc are good there with way more variety than Aldi, but their meat is ~50% more than Walmart and Sam’s often.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I couldn't even tell you where we get meat. I save a lot of money with the homegrown stuff we butcher but my wife is a coupon queen and we have a full sunday circuit. Freddies > Costco > finish at Albertsons but usually only for produce there.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m not really discussing the obvious economic situation. It’s obviously bullspit, and we also obviously have zero control - I just wanted to point out that you really have to shop around if cost is a concern, because that’s all you can control (and tuning your diet to needs, not wants).

I shop at Kroger every week, for lots of things. Never buy your meat there!

Eggs, fruit/veggies, canned/processed/frozen stuff, spices etc are good there with way more variety than Aldi, but their meat is ~50% more than Walmart and Sam’s often.
I almost never do unless it is on special, even then unless you get Nolan Ruyan Steaks their meat is not even USDA classified. I like to get meat from HEB when I want good meat but most often we get the big sections of meats at Sam's.
I couldn't even tell you where we get meat. I save a lot of money with the homegrown stuff we butcher but my wife is a coupon queen and we have a full sunday circuit. Freddies > Costco > finish at Albertsons but usually only for produce there.
That is great, I wish my wife was a coupon Queen, it takes a special type of person to do that but I know my sister has gone and got 500 worth of groceries for less than $100. She is good about buying everything they use in bulk when on sale or double and triple coupon days.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I almost never do unless it is on special, even then unless you get Nolan Ruyan Steaks their meat is not even USDA classified. I like to get meat from HEB when I want good meat but most often we get the big sections of meats at Sam's.

That is great, I wish my wife was a coupon Queen, it takes a special type of person to do that but I know my sister has gone and got 500 worth of groceries for less than $100. She is good about buying everything they use in bulk when on sale or double and triple coupon days.
My wife caught me shopping at Costco by myself once and I don't anymore. I just get to push the cart and eat the samples 😅😅

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, still had some difficulty sleeping. Took 25mg niacin about 11pm and that at least got me another couple hours. After that, 200mg theanine and 250mg lemon balm gave me another hour or so. It'll be interesting to see if I have PEM though later today. Hoping the extra eggs today did me well in that regard. Something weird I'm noticing...either high doses of theanine or lemon balm give me a sore throat, particularly tonsils. It's happened several times now without actually becoming sick, so I don't think it's covid finally showing its face. I think it'll be gone by the time I eat breakfast like usual.

On another note, diet has been tight all week, but kcal maybe a bit high. Can't weigh in though because that's in the area of the house my wife is quarantined in. I think when my kcal are low, my insomnia is worse, or more specifically when my liver glycogen is low. Just a theory so far but have increased fruit consumption to test.

Lastly, very glad I got 195 for 6 on bench. When I'm able to bench 225 for reps again, I'll finally feel like I'm "there" again. Where? I don't know, but better than here 😆
Weight: 214.8

Down another pound or so. As it turns out, overeating chicken can mess up my kcal. That's weird though because the Stronger By Science group discussed a study where people were overfed protein and didn't gain anything.

Today's WO:
BB Bench 8x175, 7x180, 7x185
Squat Top Set 5x235
BB Row 10x95, 6x135, 6x135
Cable Upright Row 12x30, 12x35, 8x42.5
OH Triceps Extension 3x8x30
DB Curls 3 x 10, 8, 6 x 20's

Felt like a decent workout, but I didn't push the squat or row too hard since something in my lower stomach felt weird...like a tightness or pulling, so I'll get closer to failure next time. Everything else was 0-1 RIR on last set.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Down another pound or so. As it turns out, overeating chicken can mess up my kcal. That's weird though because the Stronger By Science group discussed a study where people were overfed protein and didn't gain anything.

Today's WO:
Squat Top Set 5x235

Felt like a decent workout, but I didn't push the squat or row too hard since something in my lower stomach felt weird...like a tightness or pulling, so I'll get closer to failure next time. Everything else was 0-1 RIR on last set.
Well they must have been overfed on protein but not on overall calories. It just doesn't work that way. TEF is higher on protein but not enough to overcome any sizeable surplus.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dude good to see your post. was thinking about you last night. My wife threw chicken in the crockpot at like 2pm that we had around 7pm for dinner and it was absolutely amazing. I don't really understand the difference between a pressure cooker and a crockpot but food for thought!

Today's WO:
Squat Top Set 5x235

Well they must have been overfed on protein but not on overall calories. It just doesn't work that way. TEF is higher on protein but not enough to overcome any sizeable surplus.
I feel like "overfed" is sorta a grey definition. Am I overfed in protein at 240g? or is it at 400g...?
I know historically it's easy for me to see negative results (belly fat, bloating, whatever you want to call it when my abs disappear) from excessive fats (cheese, beer can chicken, etc) and carbs, than protein. if my maintenance is 2200 and I eat 2700 cals the results are different from 2700 cals of cheese vs 2700 cals of say chicken protein or just protein shakes... but who knows

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dude good to see your post. was thinking about you last night. My wife threw chicken in the crockpot at like 2pm that we had around 7pm for dinner and it was absolutely amazing. I don't really understand the difference between a pressure cooker and a crockpot but food for thought!

I feel like "overfed" is sorta a grey definition. Am I overfed in protein at 240g? or is it at 400g...?
I know historically it's easy for me to see negative results (belly fat, bloating, whatever you want to call it when my abs disappear) from excessive fats (cheese, beer can chicken, etc) and carbs, than protein. if my maintenance is 2200 and I eat 2700 cals the results are different from 2700 cals of cheese vs 2700 cals of say chicken protein or just protein shakes... but who knows
The study was 4k per kg of bodyweight. But i should explain better. I was overeating so much protein that I couldn't lose, then add the cheats on the weekend was making me gain. Just too many kcal.

What is beer can chicken? Lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The study was 4k per kg of bodyweight. But i should explain better. I was overeating so much protein that I couldn't lose, then add the cheats on the weekend was making me gain. Just too many kcal.

What is beer can chicken? Lol
Right, if a 220lb/100kg man eats 400g protein per day, that doesn’t mean he’s in a surplus - that’s only 1,200 calories after all, so very easy to believe he could be eating at maintenance.

But 400g protein from ribeye vs trimmed chicken breast will be pretty radically different calorie intakes!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 215.2

Got my testosterone and CBC results from 5mg daily, sub-q/shallow IM.

Testosterone Total 260 (250-1100)
Free Testosterone 45 (35-155)
RBC 5.6 (4.6-5.8)
HGB 16.7 (13.2-17.1)
HCT 48.5 (38.5-50)

This test was in trough. Perhaps this is why my sleep is suffering so bad. So, 10mg daily shallow IM only had me at very top of range, but 5mg has me at low end of range. Guess i need to try 7mg again. The problem is my HCT and HGB are already getting up there and I'm at the low end of normal. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weight: 215.2

Got my testosterone and CBC results from 5mg daily, sub-q/shallow IM.

Testosterone Total 260 (250-1100)
Free Testosterone 45 (35-155)
RBC 5.6 (4.6-5.8)
HGB 16.7 (13.2-17.1)
HCT 48.5 (38.5-50)

This test was in trough. Perhaps this is why my sleep is suffering so bad. So, 10mg daily shallow IM only had me at very top of range, but 5mg has me at low end of range. Guess i need to try 7mg again. The problem is my HCT and HGB are already getting up there and I'm at the low end of normal. Any thoughts?
Unless your platelet count is high or RBC is very high, I am of the non-medical opinion that anything under 56 for hematocrit isn’t a serious concern. And hemoglobin should stay under 20, because you can’t even donate at Red Cross if you hit 20.

The body tends to adapt a bit too. It’s not like there’s a linear increase going from 5 to 10 to 100mg per day.

Next time you pull a CBC, also order ferritin levels so you can see where iron is and if it makes sense to donate or begin a regiment of IP6 (which could help, or make you anemic, depending on where iron is at).

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Unless your platelet count is high or RBC is very high, I am of the non-medical opinion that anything under 56 for hematocrit isn’t a serious concern. And hemoglobin should stay under 20, because you can’t even donate at Red Cross if you hit 20.

The body tends to adapt a bit too. It’s not like there’s a linear increase going from 5 to 10 to 100mg per day.

Next time you pull a CBC, also order ferritin levels so you can see where iron is and if it makes sense to donate or begin a regiment of IP6 (which could help, or make you anemic, depending on where iron is at).
Thanks. I used to feel the same way, but my anxiety these days ruins me. I'll go with 6-7mg daily and see how I feel, and retest, because 9-10mg daily was clearly too much.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you get such an exact measurement down to the mg for your injections?

Congrats on the weight loss!!