Building Back Up

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The study was 4k per kg of bodyweight. But i should explain better. I was overeating so much protein that I couldn't lose, then add the cheats on the weekend was making me gain. Just too many kcal.

What is beer can chicken? Lol
well yeah, lol. too many cals is too many cals. I have sorta switched my mentality to think about two things: nutrient timing around workouts, and weekly caloric intake. I'm enjoying being able to eat at or above baseline then throwing in that occasional 24-36hr fast for my deficit.

Go to your grill and light it up. Buy a full chicken at freddies for $.99/lb. Open a beer of your choice, drink half. Shove the half full can of beer up the chickens butt then park the chicken (ideally after a full dry rub) on the grill for about 2hrs on low temp. It's amazing. Although like Hyde mentioned, a full beer can chicken is going to calorie out differently than just skinless chicken breasts.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The most delicious way my wife and I make chicken is similar but we cut up all our veggies, and sweet potatoes, and spread them on a cookie sheet. Put the whole chicken (with marinade, dry rub, or whatever) on top of them. Stick in oven and bake like you normally would. All of the natural chicken fats ooze into all the veggies. It's not a low fat meal but it's awesome and I'm personally of the mindset that since I need fats, I like animal fats.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The most delicious way my wife and I make chicken is similar but we cut up all our veggies, and sweet potatoes, and spread them on a cookie sheet. Put the whole chicken (with marinade, dry rub, or whatever) on top of them. Stick in oven and bake like you normally would. All of the natural chicken fats ooze into all the veggies. It's not a low fat meal but it's awesome and I'm personally of the mindset that since I need fats, I like animal fats.
Sounds good. I'll keep that in my back pocket for when we're not cutting.

Update:
I actually slept pretty well last night. Took 100mg PharmaGABA at 2am which may have helped. Increased testosterone dose to 6mg shallow IM yesterday, but I doubt it was that. I think I totaled 7 or a little more hours with 3 wake ups and don't feel too bad today.

But, my legs are still sore from squats Friday, and my forearms are very sore from Top Golf on Saturday, so today's Workout will only be upper push work. It'll be a good test to see if I get PEM from only ~10 work sets in a workout. I'll do deads and upper pull tomorrow.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ahahah funny how golf can kick our ass sometimes. If I'm away from it for a couple months I get sore back. Last Monday played in the cold and it totally wrecked me for squats. love the game though and top golf (although expensive) is a blast!!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
ahahah funny how golf can kick our ass sometimes. If I'm away from it for a couple months I get sore back. Last Monday played in the cold and it totally wrecked me for squats. love the game though and top golf (although expensive) is a blast!!
Yeah, it was a pretty good time, but I'm so bad that it kills it for me. I like watching my kids play though. They love it.

Been thinking about the latest testosterone results. It may explain some things. Last year, not exactly sure when, but some time after my dose reductions is when the tinnitus and reflux started. My libido dropped off, my glycogen storage dropped, and my workout recovery has never been so bad. I'm hoping this is the cause because it's an easy fix. We'll see.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Today's WO:

Deadlift 2x325, 2x345, 2x365
Standing OH Press 8x105, 7x115, 6x125
Assisted Neutral Grip Pullup 3 x 5, 5, 6 x BW-50
Depth Pushup 3x10
BB Shrug 3 x 8 x 135
DB Lateral Raise 3 x 8 x 12's

Felt like a great workout after a great night sleep. Slept 8 hours with only 2 or 3 wake ups. I think I finished every exercise with roughly 0-2 RIR.
Standing OH Press 8x115, 6x125, 4x135
Depth Pushup 3 x 12, 10, 12
DB Lateral Raise 3 x 12, 10, 10 x 12's
Triceps Rope Pressdown 12x20, 10x25

Didn't even feel like a complete workout. Glad to be done quick, but feels like a waste if my whole body isn't fatigued and pumped 😒

Performance was lacking. I thought I slept well, but maybe I'm still catching up after a few weeks of sleep debt.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They won't all be good days but you did good and got in there. That's still a chance for progress even if it didn't give you exactly what you wanted from it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Another almost pointless workout:

Deadlift Top Set 2x355
Assisted Neutral Grip Pullup 3x5xBW-42
BB Shrug 8x135, 8x155, 8x175

Had to stop deadlifting because I had that feeling in my lower stomach again like something was going to tear or pull. Warmed up plenty before hand too. I don't get it. My forearms are still quite sore and that messed up Curls and reverse flies for delts. I used straps for the deads and Shrugs to take the forearms out and Pullup didn't seem to bother it. Getting frustrated.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Another almost pointless workout:

Deadlift Top Set 2x355
Assisted Neutral Grip Pullup 3x5xBW-42
BB Shrug 8x135, 8x155, 8x175

Had to stop deadlifting because I had that feeling in my lower stomach again like something was going to tear or pull. Warmed up plenty before hand too. I don't get it. My forearms are still quite sore and that messed up Curls and reverse flies for delts. I used straps for the deads and Shrugs to take the forearms out and Pullup didn't seem to bother it. Getting frustrated.
Sometimes it be like that.

Better that you did what you could!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sometimes it be like that.

Better that you did what you could!
I know you're right; my attitude sucks recently. Contemplating getting on some type of mental health pharm.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Maybe cut back and just go old school / newb methodology with some 3 x 10s in the comfort zone working up from there until you're confident you're not gonna bust a gut.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know you're right; my attitude sucks recently. Contemplating getting on some type of mental health pharm.
Get your test levels back in the green before adding in medicine. The sense of well being from testosterone might be all you need.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Get your test levels back in the green before adding in medicine. The sense of well being from testosterone might be all you need.
Yeah this ^

Quit farting around with 6mg per day testosterone injections. I would have low motivation too keeping myself at some shitty 300 test levels. 10mg was top of range, 5 at the bottom - the logical spot is 8mg (7.5mg biased higher because 10mg was not crazy).

If you care about your mental health, put the hormones you’re actually supposed to have in you by default where they should be optimally before you go adding cocktails with no longterm data into the mix. You’re putting the cart before the horse.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah this ^

Quit farting around with 6mg per day testosterone injections. I would have low motivation too keeping myself at some shitty 300 test levels. 10mg was top of range, 5 at the bottom - the logical spot is 8mg (7.5mg biased higher because 10mg was not crazy).

If you care about your mental health, put the hormones you’re actually supposed to have in you by default where they should be optimally before you go adding cocktails with no longterm data into the mix. You’re putting the cart before the horse.
The problem is I haven't been right even before that. I hear what your saying though.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you guys all know more about the pharma side of this game than I do, but if your T levels are low and getting them corrected brings back libido etc then... I mean... is good, no? I mean I feel like half the fun of being a man is chasing my wife around like a dog in heat. If the little general lost interest I'd feel like complete dogshit I think. hang in there bro.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
you guys all know more about the pharma side of this game than I do, but if your T levels are low and getting them corrected brings back libido etc then... I mean... is good, no? I mean I feel like half the fun of being a man is chasing my wife around like a dog in heat. If the little general lost interest I'd feel like complete dogshit I think. hang in there bro.
Lol
Yes, having a libido is fun...the lack of makes the rest of life feel dull. I haven't had a solid libido since I was 19.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol
Yes, having a libido is fun...the lack of makes the rest of life feel dull. I haven't had a solid libido since I was 19.
Mine was never solid, not even in my teens.

Until TRT.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also, again, I hate to harp on this I think some of your issues stem from your constant high stress over every little thing you busy your mind with. Almost as if you are a hypochondriac with a medmd subscription, everything that correlates with your symptoms becomes a possibility you seem to worry about. The worry increases the stress, and the stress compounds the symptoms.

Have you had your cortisol levels checked? Even if nothing else I really think you should talk with someone about stress management techniques and the like. You seem wired for stress, and can find a therapist that only does talk, or holistic therapy and not medicine if you are still extremely opposed to a medication.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But was it better than now?
Marginally sadly.

Also, again, I hate to harp on this I think some of your issues stem from your constant high stress over every little thing you busy your mind with. Almost as if you are a hypochondriac with a medmd subscription, everything that correlates with your symptoms becomes a possibility you seem to worry about. The worry increases the stress, and the stress compounds the symptoms.

Have you had your cortisol levels checked? Even if nothing else I really think you should talk with someone about stress management techniques and the like. You seem wired for stress, and can find a therapist that only does talk, or holistic therapy and not medicine if you are still extremely opposed to a medication.
I haven't had cortisol checked in a while, but it is on the script to get drawn in the next couple weeks. It's usually pretty low though.

Regarding the therapy... after I've exhausted the other routes I'm pursuing, I'm look into that. It didn't help before though and I've been through tons.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Marginally sadly.

I haven't had cortisol checked in a while, but it is on the script to get drawn in the next couple weeks. It's usually pretty low though.

Regarding the therapy... after I've exhausted the other routes I'm pursuing, I'm look into that. It didn't help before though and I've been through tons.
By the way, the Dr you are seeing is he an Endocrinologist who specializes in hormonal imbalances or just your PCP?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
By the way, the Dr you are seeing is he an Endocrinologist who specializes in hormonal imbalances or just your PCP?
He's integrative and internal medicine doctor who also is an ER doctor which is how I met him.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol yeah, I do actually enjoy squatting and love deadlifting. What I should've said is I don't care about leg hypertrophy because like you said, I've got treetrunks whether I do anything for legs or not.
Went back to the beginning of the new log to track a few things. It seems like mood quality has gone down as the dog days of winter lag on. That's really relatable. Perhaps you do have some chemical imbalance worthy of pharmaceutical correction but whatever it is, I think it's going to take every ounce of the alpha inside you to dig in and chase the improvement. This time of year is just f'ing hard if you're northerly like I am. But damn dude, your old deadlift is so close to 500. we gotta get you back on the gainz train ASAP.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Went back to the beginning of the new log to track a few things. It seems like mood quality has gone down as the dog days of winter lag on. That's really relatable. Perhaps you do have some chemical imbalance worthy of pharmaceutical correction but whatever it is, I think it's going to take every ounce of the alpha inside you to dig in and chase the improvement. This time of year is just f'ing hard if you're northerly like I am. But damn dude, your old deadlift is so close to 500. we gotta get you back on the gainz train ASAP.
I hear ya. I'll be testing it inositol probably later today. If i recall correctly, it's worked many years ago.

My best deadlift ever was actually 525 about 5 or 6 years ago. I want to hit 405 in a couple weeks as long as I don't herniate myself lol.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 214.8

Down another pound or so. As it turns out, overeating chicken can mess up my kcal. That's weird though because the Stronger By Science group discussed a study where people were overfed protein and didn't gain anything.

Today's WO:
BB Bench 8x175, 7x180, 7x185
Squat Top Set 5x235
BB Row 10x95, 6x135, 6x135
Cable Upright Row 12x30, 12x35, 8x42.5
OH Triceps Extension 3x8x30
DB Curls 3 x 10, 8, 6 x 20's

Felt like a decent workout, but I didn't push the squat or row too hard since something in my lower stomach felt weird...like a tightness or pulling, so I'll get closer to failure next time. Everything else was 0-1 RIR on last set.
Weight: 213.2

Down a tiny bit more 😆

Today's WO:

BB Bench 5x185, 5x195, 5x205
Squat Top Set 5x205
BB Row 3x5x135
Incline Cable Fly 1 set RPE6 10 reps
Cable Upright Row 10x35, 8x42.5, 8x50
OH Triceps Extension 3x10, 8, 8 x 30
EZ Curl 3x10x40

I'm mildly pleased with that bench, considering I'm very close to where I was Thanksgiving 2021 15 pounds lighter. Kept squat and row kind of easy. Added the Cable fly to introduce it and will hit it harder next week. Cable Upright Row finally getting near failure. Still felt my stomach tighten up...argh...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Right on dude, keep it going.
at this point, progress is 1lb or 1 rep, right? don't have to add 20lbs to your next squat!

For what it's worth I still have that weird groin pull that I can feel when I flex my abs. comes and goes. so when I drop into the squat rack I just go slow, warm up long, and let the body tell me how high I can go that day.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
at this point, progress is 1lb or 1 rep, right? don't have to add 20lbs to your next squat!

For what it's worth I still have that weird groin pull that I can feel when I flex my abs. comes and goes. so when I drop into the squat rack I just go slow, warm up long, and let the body tell me how high I can go that day.
Yessir.

Do you feel that groin pull on deadlift or standing presses?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Sounds a lot like most of my sessions. Push as hard as I can while also listening to my body.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yessir.

Do you feel that groin pull on deadlift or standing presses?
for what it's worth last night during my squat session I felt it big time in my adductor. like 2-3" lower than my balls in that inner hamstring area. so it's shifted 90% to below the below now. I was going to throw in sumos after my squats to try to target the adductors more but by the time I finished my working sets of backs and fronts it was basically gone or I was too tired to notice it anymore. today I don't feel anything except swollen glutes.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
for what it's worth last night during my squat session I felt it big time in my adductor. like 2-3" lower than my balls in that inner hamstring area. so it's shifted 90% to below the below now. I was going to throw in sumos after my squats to try to target the adductors more but by the time I finished my working sets of backs and fronts it was basically gone or I was too tired to notice it anymore. today I don't feel anything except swollen glutes.
Right on. Yeah, I don't feel the pull anymore in my stomach, it only seems to happen during and a few hours after. On another positive note, my recovery is way up. I can barely feel the muscles I worked yesterday. I might finally be able to increase the frequency to 3 times per week soon.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
He's integrative and internal medicine doctor who also is an ER doctor which is how I met him.
I've toyed with the idea of an integrative med doc. I feel like DOs are more open to other methods of treatment, so that's what I have right now.

On a side note, given some of your anxiety, depression symptoms, etc. Have you ever thought about or tried cannabis or CBD? I know a bunch of BBers that are into the cannabis route, either medically rx or in states where recreational use is legal.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Right on. Yeah, I don't feel the pull anymore in my stomach, it only seems to happen during and a few hours after. On another positive note, my recovery is way up. I can barely feel the muscles I worked yesterday. I might finally be able to increase the frequency to 3 times per week soon.
I used to get a really tight psoas when my training included both a lot of deadlifts and running... food for thought. maybe some appropriate stretches/prehab will also help.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've toyed with the idea of an integrative med doc. I feel like DOs are more open to other methods of treatment, so that's what I have right now.

On a side note, given some of your anxiety, depression symptoms, etc. Have you ever thought about or tried cannabis or CBD? I know a bunch of BBers that are into the cannabis route, either medically rx or in states where recreational use is legal.
I have cbd and have used it in the past, but the side effects I got were worse than the benefits oddly enough. But i can't use thc... in recovery 12 years clean.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 213.4

Can't break 213 yet. Going to have a couple meals or this weekend, but only 1 planned to be bad...pizza for the Eagles game.

Today is day 2 no B vitamins. Only took C, D, K2, fish oil and magnesium. I feel so much more calm and relaxed, but super fatigued/lethargic and muscle burning/fatigue with any exertion. The OAT test said I'm low on b6 and folate which could explain the lethargy and make symptoms. I'll probably do a few more days like this, but increase dietary folate and stop fish oil too to see what happens.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 213.4

Can't break 213 yet. Going to have a couple meals or this weekend, but only 1 planned to be bad...pizza for the Eagles game.

Today is day 2 no B vitamins. Only took C, D, K2, fish oil and magnesium. I feel so much more calm and relaxed, but super fatigued/lethargic and muscle burning/fatigue with any exertion. The OAT test said I'm low on b6 and folate which could explain the lethargy and make symptoms. I'll probably do a few more days like this, but increase dietary folate and stop fish oil too to see what happens.
Sleep is a little better since dropping the extra vitamins, but reflux/lpr/difficultly swallowing also back. I think I got 6 or maybe even almost 7 hours total with only 2 wake ups.

Only taking:
1g fish oil
2g vitamin C
450mg Magnesium citrate
7500iu D3
180mcg k2 mk7

For sleep:
250mg lemon balm
200mg magnolia bark
100-200mg pharmagaba

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 218

The pizza weekend really did a number there, but I can still see the progress I've made in my abdominal outline, so really just glycogen mostly.

Yesterday's WO:
Deadlift Top Set 2x375
Standing OH Press 12x95, 8x115, 4x135
Neutral Grip Pullup (don't recall progression, but last set 3 x body weight)
Depth Pushup 2x12
DB Lateral Raise 3x10x12's
BB Shrug 10x135, 8x155, 6x175

Still sleeping poorly on the night of my workouts, but I'm nowhere near as sore as I used to be. Time to increase volume. But, I think i just need to take lunesta or trazodone in my workout nights and be done with it.

Still using 6-7mg testosterone daily. Libido up. Glycogen storage seems to be enhanced as well (looking more full at 218 than when I was 221 a few weeks ago). Getting bloodwork done soon for several different things.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some sacrifices are worth the pizza slice. I bet you enjoyed that game.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weight: 213.2

Down a tiny bit more 😆

Today's WO:

BB Bench 5x185, 5x195, 5x205
Squat Top Set 5x205
BB Row 3x5x135
Incline Cable Fly 1 set RPE6 10 reps
Cable Upright Row 10x35, 8x42.5, 8x50
OH Triceps Extension 3x10, 8, 8 x 30
EZ Curl 3x10x40

I'm mildly pleased with that bench, considering I'm very close to where I was Thanksgiving 2021 15 pounds lighter. Kept squat and row kind of easy. Added the Cable fly to introduce it and will hit it harder next week. Cable Upright Row finally getting near failure. Still felt my stomach tighten up...argh...
BB Bench 5x195, 5x205, 5x215
Incline Cable Press 12x7, 10x12
Squat 5x225, 5x245
BB Row 3x6x135
Cable Upright Row 12x42.5, 10x50, 10x57.5
OH Cable Extension 3x8x35
DB Curl 3x8x20's
DB Lateral Raise 8x8's

Felt pretty good this workout. No cramping or weird pulling in my abs...attributing that to the increase in dietary potassium (or folate, unsure). I'm getting so close to benching 225 for reps...can't wait.

Also, I really pushed this workout, so unless I finally take trazodone or lunesta tonight, I won't be sleeping 😆

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Been awake since 2 or 3am. Didn't take anything except 200mg PharmaGABA and obviously didn't work. I'll be using trazodone tonight.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Remind me... have you been trying melatonin or zma before bed? now that the month of sobriety has ended for my wife and I, I think I hate alcohol lol. I had 3 shots last night... the equivalent of maybe 1.5 or even just one tall bourbon by my December standards and I feel like crap today. Wife hates when I drink diet coke cause of the garbage in it, but I'm thinking that's my go to instead of bourbon.

Trying to catch up to you!
LOL shouldn't be hard. remind me your old 1rm bench? wasn't it like mid 3's? closer I get to 300 I just start drooling over the idea of 3 plates.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Remind me... have you been trying melatonin or zma before bed? now that the month of sobriety has ended for my wife and I, I think I hate alcohol lol. I had 3 shots last night... the equivalent of maybe 1.5 or even just one tall bourbon by my December standards and I feel like crap today. Wife hates when I drink diet coke cause of the garbage in it, but I'm thinking that's my go to instead of bourbon.
Diet soda has no calories, does not disrupt fasting, does not have sugar, and it is flat out a non-issue in moderation.

We know the aspartame in it breaks down to methanol and formaldehyde. These are toxic compounds that are harmful to the body, yet in reality the trivial dosages end up not being enough to cause toxicity (consumed responsibly). You can have a can, probably 2 every day of your life without reaching toxic levels. As long as you don’t go drinking 2 liters daily, you’ll be fine.

Compare that to regular soda, which we know just the sheer added sugar content alone will cause health issues associated with metabolic syndrome at far less than a 2 liter daily, or alcohol which needs no explanation for most to understand its inherent toxicity.

IMHO, the biggest things to watch with diet soda consumption is potential for appetite increase/sugar cravings, and gut health (artificial sweeteners in sufficient quantity will disrupt the gut biome and cause stomach distress, even potentially causing acid reflux).

TLDR, diet soda is better than drinking alcohol by a long shot. Moderation is still important.