Books! Does anyone read? lol

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have noticed today, no one reads anymore, I have been through about 5 books in the last couple months. Its a great experience I feel my generation and the younger generation coming up are missing.

My pocked holds a book, their pockets hold a psp/gameboy ds.

Now thats cool and such, but it never changes and on Facebook and such for peoples favorite books I always see "who the hell reads anymore"....wtf? Further proof thaat the masses are embracing stupidity?

Anyhow. I posted this for people to toss around some books they have read and liked, or would recommend.

Recently for me I went through

Dark Gods
Mechanicum
Insert Alpha Legion title here(lol)
Descent of Angels
Mass Effect:Revelation

And am currently reading Heldenhammer.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Less Than Zero
The Rules of Attraction
American Psycho
The Informers
Glamorama
Lunar Park

...all by Bret Easton Ellis

I also LOVE "The Bad Guys Won" by Jeff Pearlman

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
By far my favorite fiction author is Charles ****ens, and "Great Expectations" is my favorite work of his. I bought "War and Peace" and "Atlas Shrugged" and cannot decide which one I want to read first. Both books are going to be big time sinks, so it is a tough decision. I don't know why, but I never really gave fiction a chance, and as a result I haven't read nearly as much fiction as non.

As far as non-fiction goes my favorite book is "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

I also read a lot of political commentary. I really enjoyed "Liberal Fascism", and "The New American Revolution", the latter being the book that sparked my transition from a Fox News watching Republican to a Libertarian (although I do not belong to any political party).

I enjoy books about history, especially pre and post WWII Germany.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
By far my favorite fiction author is Charles ****ens, and "Great Expectations" is my favorite work of his. I bought "War and Peace" and "Atlas Shrugged" and cannot decide which one I want to read first. Both books are going to be big time sinks, so it is a tough decision. I don't know why, but I never really gave fiction a chance, and as a result I haven't read nearly as much fiction as non.

As far as non-fiction goes my favorite book is "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

I also read a lot of political commentary. I really enjoyed "Liberal Fascism", and "The New American Revolution", the latter being the book that sparked my transition from a Fox News watching Republican to a Libertarian (although I do not belong to any political party).

I enjoy books about history, especially pre and post WWII Germany.
Atlas Shrugged...it is extremely relevant right now.

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
I am currently in a Literature class in college and we have to read a 'multi cultural ' novel. I am getting ready to read one called 'Dusk'. Its original name is Po-on. It is Filipino. My wife is also Filipino.

Other than that I have been reading some short stories and am also reading a book on the side of that called 'The Twilighth Labyrinth'. That books asks the question of why spiritual darkness is thicker in some areas of the world and not others. It is a journey book. Some of it is blah but some of it is a good read and good food for thought.

Oh, also read through some of Hamlet, for my class. I found the synopsis online a better read since old english is quite hard to understand.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I too enjoy the comedy of Michael Weiner.
:lmao: The Weiner Nation! That's what The Great One, Mark Levin calls it. I think he goes over the top deliberately for shock value sometimes.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So you've read a few books recently and assume no one else reads anymore??

Atlas Shrugged will need a decent chunk uf time set aside... It isn't the typical Scifi book :)

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:lmao: The Weiner Nation! That's what The Great One, Mark Levin calls it.
Oh, I know...I regularly listen to them both. :usa2:

Speaking of books, "Liberty and Tyranny" seems to be doing well.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I go to the book store most Sundays and read quite a bit.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So you've read a few books recently and assume no one else reads anymore??

Atlas Shrugged will need a decent chunk uf time set aside... It isn't the typical Scifi book :)
I'm trying to get into one called "Matter" right now, for when I take a break from The Third Chimpanzee and assorted marketing books.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1984 is my favorite novel of all-time: short, politically relevant, semi-cerebral - just a phenomenal novel. I have been reading a lot of non-fiction lately, particularly Philosophical work.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
1984 is my favorite novel of all-time: short, politically relevant, semi-cerebral - just a phenomenal novel.
i think that's the one i wrote a book report about titled "1984: when librarians attack".

the teacher wasn't so keen on my title...

Adam23294

Adam23294

Banned
Awards
I've got a few books in my Amazon cart right now; The Elegant Universe (a layman's guide to M-theory, supersymmetry, etc), The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality (sequel to The Elegant Universe), and American Psycho as recommended by JW. Really looking forward to getting into them once school's done.

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
American Psycho as recommended by JW
Have you read anything else by Ellis? I started with Psycho, then went back and read everything else. You don't need to necessarily read them in order (although there are some characters/themes that re-appear throughout) but it helps some.

Just a rant cuz I'm a big B.E.E. fan. You can most definitely read AS as a standalone.

Adam23294

Adam23294

Banned
Awards
Have you read anything else by Ellis? I started with Psycho, then went back and read everything else. You don't need to necessarily read them in order (although there are some characters/themes that re-appear throughout) but it helps some.

Just a rant cuz I'm a big B.E.E. fan. You can most definitely read AS as a standalone.
No but I was also looking at Glamorama and Less Than Zero which sound pretty awesome. If I'm hooked by AS then I might do the same thing you did and go back and read the rest.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Just started again. Im bad about reading things over and over,.... just like how I tend to watch the same movies over and over, lol. Gimme anything WW2, Vietnam, or other war-related, and I'm there.

Most recent:

The American Partisan
Seven Roads to Hell
The End of the Line: Siege of Khe Sanh
Beyond the Beachhead
A Soldier Reports - Gen. Westmoreland
Art of War (again)

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Art of War (again)
This was basically assigned to us when we entered West Point. Instead of Bibles, this was taught a Church Service... and I am almost being serious.
It's a great book, especially for strategies; however, some translations have been mixed and are not in exact context. That being said, for the majority of the scriptures, it's near close to actual written code.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
This was basically assigned to us when we entered West Point. Instead of Bibles, this was taught a Church Service... and I am almost being serious.
It's a great book, especially for strategies; however, some translations have been mixed and are not in exact context. That being said, for the majority of the scriptures, it's near close to actual written code.
...and some of the greatest generals of all time have referred to reading Art of War and implicating many of its strategies. Its amazing it was written so long ago, but a darn good read, and a powerful book at that.

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
I read pretty frequently. I just got done reading Chronicles of the Black Company: Tales of the North and Chronicles of the Black Company: Tales of the South by Glen Cook. Pretty good stuff.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Black-Company-Glen-Cook/dp/0765319233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247324698&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Chronicles of the Black Company: Glen Cook: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765320665/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0812521390&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WVG9PPY95J85E65DVY8"]Amazon.com: The Books of the South: Tales of the Black Company (Chronicles of the Black Company): Glen Cook: Books[/ame]

keeper

I just finished "Friends in High Places" by Web Hubbell. If you like political insider type reads, it's a good one.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Atlas Shrugged...it is extremely relevant right now.
If a mang doesn't know about Rand wouldn't it be more better to read the fountainhead before atlas to give it some texture?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If a mang doesn't know about Rand wouldn't it be more better to read the fountainhead before atlas to give it some texture?
Ideally, But AS stands alone well enough and is on a completely different scale.

BEsides, both are massive undertakings that require months of reflection....time's running short for that.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Power vs. Force: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior - David R. Hawkins.

JDK5386

Campbell FTW!
Yup, that makes 3 Campbell fans on this website, although I always thought Hero was his most dry read outside of Skeleton Key. Hero's not that interesting until you start seeing it in literally every damned movie.

Hezig

Awards
Harry Potter Books All.....
That's as much reading I'll ever get done....
I know it's sad but oh well... lol

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is a true classic!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Let's see: what am I working my way through at the moment?

The Ketogenic Diet - Lyle McDonald (yes, *again*)

Paris in the Terror - Stanley Loomis
(anyone who contemplates massive social change should study the French Revolution)

Of The Social Contract - Rousseau

(...and still looking for my missing copy of "Guerilla Marketing....)

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Harry Potter Books All.....
That's as much reading I'll ever get done....
I know it's sad but oh well... lol
thank you! Somebody reading for entertainment and escapism . When I take the time to knock out several hundred pages I want to be taken somewhere I've never gone or experience something unreal . I've not started on the Potter series but I am on the last book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and it is by far my favorite set of books . I tried getting into Douglas Adams and the books that go along with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy but I just don't enjoy his writing style . King and Koontz are a large part of my literary diet .

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thank you! Somebody reading for entertainment and escapism . When I take the time to knock out several hundred pages I want to be taken somewhere I've never gone or experience something unreal . I've not started on the Potter series but I am on the last book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and it is by far my favorite set of books . I tried getting into Douglas Adams and the books that go along with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy but I just don't enjoy his writing style . King and Koontz are a large part of my literary diet .
From a philosophical standpoint, The Dark Tower series is by no means fiction or escapism.

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

What is the preferred reading order?

JW32Hoops

JW32Hoops

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What is the preferred reading order?
Can't go wrong with chronological:

Less Than Zero (1985)
The Rules of Attraction (1987)
American Psycho (1991)
The Informers (linked short stories, 1994)
Glamorama (1998)
Lunar Park (2005)

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
Ive been chain reading since high school. Just finishing up The Strain by Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan. Great vampire apocalyptic novel, no pansy-ass sparkley vamps here!! Then moving on to a book about the Dalia Lama.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank
The Postman -David Brin
All Michael Chricton - Read both Jurassic park books like 14 times each
Robinson Crusoe
Count de Monte Cristo
Most Dangerous Game
Pagan Stone Trilogy
Harry Potter - all 7

There is more but i can't recall the names as of right now.

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank
That is a pretty good novel. I remember reading it for the first time when I was in junior high and I have loved books and movies set in a post-apocalyptic world ever since.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lucifer's Hammer and The HOt Zone are both good.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Any one read anything from Graham McNeill?

I am glad all of you read so much. I was getting depressed looking around at how little people care. I grew up on books, was poor so I was lucky when I got a sega lol.

Library's are amazing, I am pissed there are going to be alot closing, our country really cant afford to lose their libraries...

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
That is a pretty good novel. I remember reading it for the first time when I was in junior high and I have loved books and movies set in a post-apocalyptic world ever since.
They are my favorite type, i have no idea. But i love anything Post Apocalyptic... Road Warior, Fallout series, The Postman... Lucifers Hammer is next i believe

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Any one read anything from Graham McNeill?

I am glad all of you read so much. I was getting depressed looking around at how little people care. I grew up on books, was poor so I was lucky when I got a sega lol.

Library's are amazing, I am pissed there are going to be alot closing, our country really cant afford to lose their libraries...
You think they could stand to stop worrying about transition to digital T.V so we can rot our brains and worry more about getting us back on track for advancement.

Books = History, no books for the masses could mean we repeat a lot of mistakes.

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
You think they could stand to stop worrying about transition to digital T.V so we can rot our brains and worry more about getting us back on track for advancement.

Books = History, no books for the masses could mean we repeat a lot of mistakes.
You seen Idiocracy? Mike Judge probably isn't that far off the mark in his vision of the future.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I'll pick it up at the local BB instead of the new Red Faction Game then lol.

Any other recommendations??
Idiocracy will be enough. As much as your going to enjoy it, you will be saddened at heart to realize that is our future.