Back Injury

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone have any experience with a back injury from a fall? Went over my xrays this morning and apparently my l4 and l5 are subloxed? Which means the space between them has been reduced and is quite a bit smaller than all of the other vertabrae. They want me to do chiro 3 times a week for over a month which is too rich for my blood. Any advice?

sespress

Awards
Anyone have any experience with a back injury from a fall? Went over my xrays this morning and apparently my l4 and l5 are subloxed? Which means the space between them has been reduced and is quite a bit smaller than all of the other vertabrae. They want me to do chiro 3 times a week for over a month which is too rich for my blood. Any advice?
Very similar issues after car accident. I actually recommend the chiro. Try to bully your insurance, If a doc is staying do it they might cover it with a referral.

Other things include massage, and if you ask and they say go for it, inversion table for a bit here and there.

Sadly in this country good health and real care are only for the wealthy. I hope someone else can put more light on a different solution for it.

Good luck my man, take it slow it may take a whole year to get back to normal. Try to avoid steroids (the kind the doc gives out) if possible. They made me very fat. If you need to get an appetite suppressant. Jacuzzi available? That might work out, as long as you Ice it After. Tens therapy helps with persistent pain without opiates.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the tips man! Actually have an inversion table at work here that I'm gonna use. I only went to chiro, not doctor as I figured they would just give me meds, which I don't care for

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A disc being subluxed just means that the vertebrae is out of position (can be forward, behind, off to either side, or a combination) in relation to the orientation of the other vertebrae above or below it. Example: if it was behind it should say "posterior subluxation". If it was the space between them being reduced it would read "mild/moderate/severe degenerative changes" or "decreased disc space". If you actually compressed the disc and the fall resulted in loss of vertebral body height it would say that directly or note a "compression fracture with subsequent x% of loss of vertebral body height". Dont freak out about a subluxation man, pretty much 90%+ of the population would have a subluxated vertebrae to some degree at any given time of an xray. The reason they want you to go so frequently is to help the disc hold its new found proper position (after chiro manipulation/alignment). As time goes on you will need to go less frequently as your tissues will get used to the new position and wont pull it back into the subluxed position. Although, I understand chiro care isnt covered much by a lot of insurances and can be quite pricey. Id say just go once a week for a few weeks or if you have a gym that has an X-wife have someone roll you out on that. Or, go to the chiro 1 day a week AND get rolled out by the X-wife another time or two.

Edit: and I agree with the guy above. I definitely recommend a GOOD chiro as well. You can generally tell a good chiro from a bad one within the first 15-20 minutes of being in their office and meeting him/her. If you dont like the one you went to, and there are others around, go somewhere else.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I should have taken a pic of the X-ray. Compared to the non "injured" vertebrae, the affected two are essentially 80% closed

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I should have taken a pic of the X-ray. Compared to the non "injured" vertebrae, the affected two are essentially 80% closed
Did you get a copy of the radiologist's read?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Negative, they did one at the chiro so that's all I've got now. Kinda kicking myself for not going to the doctor first

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Negative, they did one at the chiro so that's all I've got now. Kinda kicking myself for not going to the doctor first
Truthfully the doctor would have said "there's no fracture, you're fine. Go home and rest." And if it was anything like the chiro i used to work for, they take the x-rays, look them over themselves while you're there, but also send them to an outside radiologist that reads them and sends them a report. Maybe at your next visit they'll give you the radiologist reading.

sespress

Awards
A disc being subluxed just means that the vertebrae is out of position (can be forward, behind, off to either side, or a combination) in relation to the orientation of the other vertebrae above or below it. Example: if it was behind it should say "posterior subluxation". If it was the space between them being reduced it would read "mild/moderate/severe degenerative changes" or "decreased disc space". If you actually compressed the disc and the fall resulted in loss of vertebral body height it would say that directly or note a "compression fracture with subsequent x% of loss of vertebral body height". Dont freak out about a subluxation man, pretty much 90%+ of the population would have a subluxated vertebrae to some degree at any given time of an xray. The reason they want you to go so frequently is to help the disc hold its new found proper position (after chiro manipulation/alignment). As time goes on you will need to go less frequently as your tissues will get used to the new position and wont pull it back into the subluxed position. Although, I understand chiro care isnt covered much by a lot of insurances and can be quite pricey. Id say just go once a week for a few weeks or if you have a gym that has an X-wife have someone roll you out on that. Or, go to the chiro 1 day a week AND get rolled out by the X-wife another time or two.

Edit: and I agree with the guy above. I definitely recommend a GOOD chiro as well. You can generally tell a good chiro from a bad one within the first 15-20 minutes of being in their office and meeting him/her. If you dont like the one you went to, and there are others around, go somewhere else.
They should massage first. Use minimal pressure and possibly infrared laser. Mine does all of this and doesn't pressure me to come all three time. But initially you'll need to go a bunch. And the doctor still might help.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They should massage first. Use minimal pressure and possibly infrared laser. Mine does all of this and doesn't pressure me to come all three time. But initially you'll need to go a bunch. And the doctor still might help.
Not sure why you quoted me there.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just thought that Is what qualified a "good" chiro to me. Do you disagree?
Ahh. Sorry, i wrote a lot and wasn't sure what exactly you were talking about there.

And, eh, I don't necessarily think a "good" chiro HAS to massage or even have an infrared laser in the office. Those modalities aren't indicated for every patient. A good chiro is able to take what the patient is saying and adapt their treatment course depending on what the patient's history is, what their exam findings are (and actually knowing what the hell they are doing when examining a patient), and what the patient is comfortable with both physically and monetarily. Direct treatments such as ART, massage, graston, etc all have their places but sometimes indirect options such as TENS/IF therapy, traction, postural restoration via muscle activation/strengthenin, etc is all the patient really needs secondarily to the manipulation. Some patients only need a manipulation once a week and feel fine solely with that, so is a chiropractor that performs massage for 3 minutes before the manipulation just so he can bill for it a better chiro than a chiro that skips the "massage" because the patient doesn't need it? I dont think so.

sespress

Awards
Ahh. Sorry, i wrote a lot and wasn't sure what exactly you were talking about there.

And, eh, I don't necessarily think a "good" chiro HAS to massage or even have an infrared laser in the office. Those modalities aren't indicated for every patient. A good chiro is able to take what the patient is saying and adapt their treatment course depending on what the patient's history is, what their exam findings are (and actually knowing what the hell they are doing when examining a patient), and what the patient is comfortable with both physically and monetarily. Direct treatments such as ART, massage, graston, etc all have their places but sometimes indirect options such as TENS/IF therapy, traction, postural restoration via muscle activation/strengthenin, etc is all the patient really needs secondarily to the manipulation. Some patients only need a manipulation once a week and feel fine solely with that, so is a chiropractor that performs massage for 3 minutes before the manipulation just so he can bill for it a better chiro than a chiro that skips the "massage" because the patient doesn't need it? I dont think so.
Well mine didn't charge any more for the massage. The laser? Sure. Tens? Yes extra. What I mean that is if they have all that stuff it is a good chance they're knowledgeable about other methods other than just crunching your bones violently. I was a kid and saw my dad go to one and I thought the guy was killing him. After a few months my dad stopped seeing the guy and he told me later on that he was certain the guy did damage even though it felt better at the time.

The massage (according to my guy) helps prevent spams and helps him get a good adjustment without using maximum force. He says it stops the muscles from pulling things back right away which is why some people get more pain right after the adjustment. If they're loose then it's easier, if it's tight then he's got to work harder and it may not fully adjust.

I started once a week, then every other, then once a month, now I go as needed. He gives me exercises to do, and showed me how to use KT tape to help me be aware of bad posture and movements that would strain the target area. Dude charges $35 a visit without insurance.

He's probably rare in the industry but I think the guy was amazing. He told me to go get a deep tissue massage seperate if the pain came back and to hit him up if it didn't improve after. We got this Chinese dude in the mall, speaks no English just grunts and you point to where it hurts and he attacks you with elbows and what not. But the next day your feeling AMAZING.

I'm obviously a proponent of chiropractors, buy there are bad ones who can hurt you worse. You gotta talk about the light touch and alternative treatments.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So ended up going to the actual doc as still not getting any better after 2 weeks. Definitely a herniated disc, gave me some steroids and muscle relaxers. Don't like those so only take at night to help sleep as I had been waking up a ton through the night in pain. Gave me some exercises to do to try and help. Have an inversion table at work that I've been using daily. If not better in 3 weeks they want to do an MRI to see what's up. So hoping for some relief the next few weeks.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Smart to get a CT done ? (im assuming since you know its herniated now). Look up "Super D's low back protocol" on youtube. It helps me immensely when my low back flares up.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the tip man!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Get some gravity boots and spend 20-30mins a day (split it up ) hanging upside down.

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
There's a lot of good advice in here bro. My two cents are **** worrying about the chiro being too rich for your blood. Because believe me, you'll be thankful you paid a grand on the chiro versus 30 grand on a surgery. Trust me, I took the cheap way out early on after injuring my back, and I ended up going under the knife. You're NEVER the same after back surgery.