Recent shoulder injury

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I had a finger injury and broke the tip bone of my middle finger so I had to change my workout routine to work around it. Had to stop free weights entirely and had to do all machines, cables, and the smith machine. I started using the smith machine which I normally don’t use for bench presses and military presses a couple weeks ago.

I recently noticed left shoulder pain located in the front and side of the shoulder mainly since using the smith machine. It is only slightly noticeable when not lifting, but if doing bench presses on machines, cables, or smith I can definitely feel it and it seems to only get worse each time as previously It use to onlu feel it on the smith machine, thus I have decided it best to stop all shoulder and chest work to let it heal as apparently is getting worse as I now notice it on all chest work regardless of machine.I believe the military presses and bench presses on the smith was the culprit since it limits range of motion.

I’m pretty sure it is just a strain but want to give it time to heal so it doesn’t get worse. What lifts should I avoid entirely? All chest and shoulder work? How long off does it typically take for a strain like this to heal? (I pulled my hamstring before and it took forever to fully recover so I hope isn’t like that). What would be a good way to test it to see if it is healed without reaggravating it? Does Ibuprofen just hinder the healing process since it hinders inflammation which is the bodies way of healing?

Last edited:
xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
first off.. its sounds like a good idea to avoid the smith machine at least until you are healing. I would how ever continue to work the muscle groups involved with super light weight. I would opt for really light DBs and slowly do nice controlled deliberate reps to get blood flow and nutrients to the area so as to help with rehab. give it time and only move forward as your confidence builds

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would have it checked out. I recently had a major bicep/shoulder repair that I originally thought was nothing. Now My down time is like 6 months. Switching weights is a great idea, but if it persists have it checked.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would have it checked out. I recently had a major bicep/shoulder repair that I originally thought was nothing. Now My down time is like 6 months. Switching weights is a great idea, but if it persists have it checked.
Would the first step a Dr. would take be an X-ray? I have met my deductible so maybe I will go straight to this route.