Am I doing something wrong?

MoparRob

Awards
Yes I aplogize this is yet another diet/routine question. First off I'm 6'3 280 lbs. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. For that past 3 weeks I've been doing what I think is a strict diet and doing heavy lifting 4 times a week. I've figured my "maintenance" calories is 2600 calories. I've been doing about 2600-2800 calories a day. No sugars no fast food or soda. I'm eating alot of carbs just because of my daily sandwhiches and protein shakes. My real question is I know I've got alot of fat to lose and I've barely lost any weight. I know I've gained muscle but I figured I'd still see the scale drop. I am sorry for the noob question, and the novel but I really want to feel confident in my diet and routine so I dont constantly doubt what I'm doing. Thanks in advance to any and all help, its greatly appreciated.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
muscle weighs more than fat, and if you're recomping, the scale can be misleading in that your body weight can stay the same, but fat/muscle ratio will change. i would suggest measuring your waist every 2 weeks to better gauge progress. additionally, try increasing your healthy fat intake and lowering your carbs.

hopefully you're doing compound movements as supersets for your workout, and adding in cardio when possible - either in the form of fasted cardio or HIIT. that's all i got right now.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
Keep studying and continue to get your shiz together. A diet and workout regimen can always be changed to spur change in your body. There is always more to learn.

One tip - keep track of your efforts. Maybe write your training, diet, weight, and or measurements down. Then you can look back on it when your motivation is dwindling and remember your progress.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Great advice so far!

Do not worry so much about what the scale says. As time goes on you may lose weight, but focusing on those numbers and be depressing and frustrating. Keep an eye on how you look in the mirror. That will be a better indicator of what kind of progress you are making. I've been recomping for around 7 months now and gone from 23% BF to 16% in this time while remaining the weight of 160 lb. For so many years I was focused on weight rather than body fat, and I had to really redirect my thoughts. Weight doesn't really matter. And you need to keep that in mind.

Eating lots of veggies, lean protein and healthy fats are great for you. I'd cut out sandwiches and complex carbs except at breakfast or around workouts.

Compound movements are great for building muscle and losing fat. Squats, Deadlifts, Clean and Press, Rows Bench, Dips, Pull Ups, Chin Ups, Lat Pulls are all some great ones. :thumbsup:

2600 Cals seems a bit low maintenance for a guy your size. I would think you to be more than that, but I could be mistaken.

JDK5386

Yes I aplogize this is yet another diet/routine question. First off I'm 6'3 280 lbs. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. For that past 3 weeks I've been doing what I think is a strict diet and doing heavy lifting 4 times a week. I've figured my "maintenance" calories is 2600 calories. I've been doing about 2600-2800 calories a day. No sugars no fast food or soda. I'm eating alot of carbs just because of my daily sandwhiches and protein shakes. My real question is I know I've got alot of fat to lose and I've barely lost any weight. I know I've gained muscle but I figured I'd still see the scale drop. I am sorry for the noob question, and the novel but I really want to feel confident in my diet and routine so I dont constantly doubt what I'm doing. Thanks in advance to any and all help, its greatly appreciated.
If you're not getting what you want, don't get frustrated, just change your approach until you find something that helps you reach your goals.

I was in the same boat for about 2 months. I built a lot of muscle from January to early-March, but my weight was staying the same. My waist had declined by about 2.5" and I built most of the mass I wanted. But my weight and body fat are just far too high, and I build muscle very, very easily so I'll just focus on that once I reach my fat loss goals.

I've changed my approach considerably, going from lifting heavy weights 4-5 times per week to 1 heavy upper day, one heavy lower day, and then one full-body circuit day. I also went from doing cardio whenever I had the motivation to doing a minimum of 45 minutes of cardio 6 days per week. Weight is coming off at a much more appropriate rate now, and mass is holding steady.

quigley

Awards
  • Established
hi :)

You may be under-eating, i think, and as a result your metabolism might be slowing and your insulin spiking to retain nutrients.

I make your daily calorie maintenance at around 3200 (my daily maintenance is 2600 and im 170lb and your height), so id suggest a diet of 2700 calories on your non workout days, 3200 on workout days.

Regards,
Nathan

GhstFceTrilla

Awards
Ditch the sandwiches. Eat lean chicken breast/tuna. You can switch up to skim milk/fat free-milk for your shakes or water to cut more cals/carbs.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
cut carbs to speed up the fat loss. also get a measuring tape, if your building while cutting the scale is very misleading.