doing something different everyday ?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's up guys, so I'm one of those people at the gym who must track everything they do down to the amount of calories burned from cardio. I'm going to make this short and sweet. I usually do a certain type program (fst7, phat, gvt) and ill do those for 4-8 weeks then ill have to switch it up because I feel like I falter in my gains after that. So I was reading total recall, Arnold's book, and he said something along the lines of muscle confusion. This isn't new to me but I'm curious, to see how many people track their lifts (wt and reps) and who doesn't. And do you guys think if I stop tracking I'll be worse off. Sometimes I feel like i have to be on some type of program versus doing my own thing.

The reason I ask is because one week I did something apart from my original routine e and ended up being more sore and drained than when I was following anything. I didn't track anything they whole week but ended up feeling more drained and sore. That plus reading total recall is putting the whole tracking lifts seem obsolete.

Opinions please fellas.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i do not stick to a routine nor track progress, i do track nutrition errr' day, i simply go off feel....

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends on your goals really. Just because you experienced more DOMS when you switched things up, doesn't necessarily mean that it was a more successful workout.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can see how it would make sense for a power lifter to track weight because they want to push as much weight as possible but for someone like me, just looking to add to my physique I feel like its starting to be over kill.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just don't overthink it. Quick understanding of Periodiation and you're set. Have links if interested.

or

Just do what you feel works for you and your goals, like Tech

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just don't overthink it. Quick understanding of Periodiation and you're set. Have links if interested.

or

Just do what you feel works for you and your goals, like Tech
I'm always down for links Sean! I've gained a good amount of mass in the last 1.5 years but I feel like I shouldn't have the need for tracking. I understand progressive overload and such but those links would be great.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're moving more weight in the 6-12 range with no change in form, you've got more muscle. I like the idea of tracking so that you don't get in a rut and not know it. Since you're a physique guy, I'd say it's up to you.

I will say that you don't have to completely change routines every 4-8 weeks. More like slight tweaks every 4-8 or however often. Switch out exercises, utilize a different rep range, but don't reinvent the wheel. There are many bodybuilders that have been doing basically the same thing for years on end.

It's like Sean said, understand the periodization, don't just change everything. Then you're not building off of anything.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sean has you covered, but I'd say if you aren't having at least some sort of gameplan then you are shortchanging yourself. It does depend on goals and you don't have to be planned out perfectly far out, but an overall plan is better than just doing something random.

You got sore because you gave your body a stimulus it was not used to. DOMS do not always equate a better lift.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/periodization_nuts_and_bolts

Just kind of a guideline. Nothing set in stone. Just things to keep in mind. Bunch more articles on Elite FTS on bodybuilding and periodization.
That put my whole question into perspective. Thanks Sean. I'll keep my training log going and keep tracking. I feel like hopping on something new though, I'll give p/rr/s a look at. That part about seeing what works for you and what doesn't (as seen in your training log) really is the kicker. For me using a mix if power days and hypertrophy days kicked my body to new heights. Also volume works well, an all power routine didn't do my body justice. So thanks for answering my question.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
check out Layne Norton's PHAT as well..

Power & Hypertrophy Adaptive Training.....I do believe you just used those 2 words in your last post ;) Oh, and has volume. Look up 'Supermanjow' on here for his PHAT log. He's a big & smart dude.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
check out Layne Norton's PHAT as well..

Power & Hypertrophy Adaptive Training.....I do believe you just used those 2 words in your last post ;) Oh, and has volume. Look up 'Supermanjow' on here for his PHAT log. He's a big & smart dude.
Yup I've done phat and many variants of it, the muscle gain was insane. I had go back off on volume because of school but summer is here. I think I may just go back to phat, if it ain't broke Dont fix it as they say lol.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
changing an entire program every few weeks is great if you have the time and want to be average at everything.

muscle confusion, in its simplicity, can be as simple as doing more weight with the same reps/sets/frequency. this is how people like olympic lifters that train for 2 lifts for years still progress. they get stronger so they up the weight.

or you could learn periodization like someone one above mentioned. thats why the powerlifters that train russian based programs get stronger doing as few as only 3 types of lifts in their entire program. they periodize their lifts with varying intensities and reps while maintaining the same frequency. in other words use lifts that give you the biggest bang for you buck and learn how to change other variables to confuse the muscles.

and a little on what generally people mean by muscle confusion. first off, you cant. the muscle cannot think. it contracts or not. it produces force or not. what people mean without even knowing what they are talking about is getting more efficient, or more skilled at a movement. once the skill part of lifting starts to drop off muscle gain is the next step and that is harder to do. so people think they are losing gains when what they are doing is no getting much better as fast at a skill and actually causing muscle hypertrophy. the same thing applies to the silliness of hitting muscles at varying angles. the muscle produces force along one angle only. it cannot produce that is not in line with their muscle fibers. but a movement involves several muscles that pull along varying angles of force and if you ever took physics you may remember that the combination of forces at varying angles can add up to a line of force which can be calculated as a total, not a sum total, of the forces at other angles.

does that make sense?

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
What i like to do is change my sets/reps every 4 weeks.

Power lifts:
Wk1-4 4x6
Wk4-8 3x8
Wk8-12 10-8-6

Other lifts:
Wk1-4. 12-10-8
Wk4-8. 3x12
Wk8-12. 3x8

I keep my total reps for power lifts the same for consistency but change the amount of reps/sets to achieve it. Other lifts i change total reps because for me those lifts are the ones i become more adapted to. After 12 weeks I may or may not change some of the exercises depending on how i felt i progressed during the last period. If i do change it is only the position (incline/decline) and method ( barbell/ db/ cables).

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Always monitor. It's what seperates those who achieve vs. those that have no idea if they achieve. Knowing I beat a personal rep record, lifted even slightly more weight etc. are all indicators of a good workout; not to mention it makes you feel like you are working toward something more "immediate" than muscle gains.

IMOof course, but IME those that plan and monitor always do better than those who don't.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Always monitor. It's what seperates those who achieve vs. those that have no idea if they achieve. Knowing I beat a personal rep record, lifted even slightly more weight etc. are all indicators of a good workout; not to mention it makes you feel like you are working toward something more "immediate" than muscle gains.

IMOof course, but IME those that plan and monitor always do better than those who don't.
great input jiggzz, youre correct. I didnt start seeing results until i started tracking. I looked back at my march logs and i could only squat 240 and now (4 months later) im at 315 :D . working towards something, yes you are correct. so i decided im just heading back to PHAT and just keep at it since its the program that gave me the best results, that and i love power with a passion.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
changing an entire program every few weeks is great if you have the time and want to be average at everything.

muscle confusion, in its simplicity, can be as simple as doing more weight with the same reps/sets/frequency. this is how people like olympic lifters that train for 2 lifts for years still progress. they get stronger so they up the weight.

or you could learn periodization like someone one above mentioned. thats why the powerlifters that train russian based programs get stronger doing as few as only 3 types of lifts in their entire program. they periodize their lifts with varying intensities and reps while maintaining the same frequency. in other words use lifts that give you the biggest bang for you buck and learn how to change other variables to confuse the muscles.

and a little on what generally people mean by muscle confusion. first off, you cant. the muscle cannot think. it contracts or not. it produces force or not. what people mean without even knowing what they are talking about is getting more efficient, or more skilled at a movement. once the skill part of lifting starts to drop off muscle gain is the next step and that is harder to do. so people think they are losing gains when what they are doing is no getting much better as fast at a skill and actually causing muscle hypertrophy. the same thing applies to the silliness of hitting muscles at varying angles. the muscle produces force along one angle only. it cannot produce that is not in line with their muscle fibers. but a movement involves several muscles that pull along varying angles of force and if you ever took physics you may remember that the combination of forces at varying angles can add up to a line of force which can be calculated as a total, not a sum total, of the forces at other angles.

does that make sense?
Good post ^.
Yeah, I think the muscle confusion principle does more to confuse and detract the lifter mind from consistency and focus on a handful of compound exercises. There is also a new or refreshing feeling, doing something new. It does not always produce well however, or can have some guys actually going backwards. Example that happened to me when I first tried WSB years ago.
Guys w/o much experience, will go farther using written routines and following them tighter IMO, until they learn how their body responds and
adapts to programs.

PROness

Awards
Good post ^.
Yeah, I think the muscle confusion principle does more to confuse and detract the lifter mind from consistency and focus on a handful of compound exercises. There is also a new or refreshing feeling, doing something new. It does not always produce well however, or can have some guys actually going backwards. Example that happened to me when I first tried WSB years ago.
Guys w/o much experience, will go farther using written routines and following them tighter IMO, until they learn how their body responds and
adapts to programs.
Muscle confusion is a myth.

Strength training and bodybuilding are all about consistency. If you constantly change programs, as soon as your body begins to supercompensate and get bigger and stronger you'll be putting yourself right back at square one.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Muscle confusion is a myth.

Strength training and bodybuilding are all about consistency. If you constantly change programs, as soon as your body begins to supercompensate and get bigger and stronger you'll be putting yourself right back at square one.
Then explain how p/rr/s is such a good routine...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
great input jiggzz, youre correct. I didnt start seeing results until i started tracking. I looked back at my march logs and i could only squat 240 and now (4 months later) im at 315 :D . working towards something, yes you are correct. so i decided im just heading back to PHAT and just keep at it since its the program that gave me the best results, that and i love power with a passion.
It just helps you keep track of progress otherwise you shooting blank hoping that your doing the right thing.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Then explain how p/rr/s is such a good routine...
P/rr/s is still being consistent. instead of you being weekly consistent youre consistent every 3 weeks. So once you pass your power day you come back to it and crush your old numbers. Point being, youre still coming back to a power day and staying consistent with tracking etc.

Jericoe

Jericoe

Awards
If you want to do something differnet everyday then you should be doing westside

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so coming back to this thread, i think i feel like experimenting a little bit. Leave my tracking book at home and just hit everything as hard as possible.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's up guys, so I'm one of those people at the gym who must track everything they do down to the amount of calories burned from cardio. I'm going to make this short and sweet. I usually do a certain type program (fst7, phat, gvt) and ill do those for 4-8 weeks then ill have to switch it up because I feel like I falter in my gains after that. So I was reading total recall, Arnold's book, and he said something along the lines of muscle confusion. This isn't new to me but I'm curious, to see how many people track their lifts (wt and reps) and who doesn't. And do you guys think if I stop tracking I'll be worse off. Sometimes I feel like i have to be on some type of program versus doing my own thing.

The reason I ask is because one week I did something apart from my original routine e and ended up being more sore and drained than when I was following anything. I didn't track anything they whole week but ended up feeling more drained and sore. That plus reading total recall is putting the whole tracking lifts seem obsolete.

Opinions please fellas.
Oh dear. This sounds like crossfit workout of the day. Not my style at all but it can work haha

My routines are in a work till they don't cycle.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh dear. This sounds like crossfit workout of the day. Not my style at all but it can work haha

My routines are in a work till they don't cycle.
Lol f that, id never even think about doing any cross fit. Everm

skat37

Awards
Crossfire is an amazing workout. I like to go to a local crossfire affiliate once every ten days just to shock the system. Being big has always been a dream of mine but being able to get through a crossfiy workout really opens up your lungs and shocks your body which helps you grow. Plus I'm seeing numbers in the gym and the scale from doing it. Yeah I like dead lifting 550 but not being able to do a muscle up or a 2 mile run is embarrassing. The more I see the less I know.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crossfire is an amazing workout. I like to go to a local crossfire affiliate once every ten days just to shock the system. Being big has always been a dream of mine but being able to get through a crossfiy workout really opens up your lungs and shocks your body which helps you grow. Plus I'm seeing numbers in the gym and the scale from doing it. Yeah I like dead lifting 550 but not being able to do a muscle up or a 2 mile run is embarrassing. The more I see the less I know.
The day I can do a muscle up I might shoot myself.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established