All compound routines

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
Anyone have some good all compound lift routines? I want to make a new routine using H.I.T with primarily compound exercises. Any help?

currently:

Chest & Biceps - Monday
Back - Tuesday
Rest - Wednesday
Triceps & Deltoids - Thursday
Legs - Friday
Rest - Saturday & Sunday

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tell me one compound movement that works the biceps or triceps specifically? And then explain to me how you plan on working the biceps on monday with a compound only program?

Br

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
if it's a new routine it doesn't need to.. I was just stating what I did currently.. sorry for the mix up.. With comps the split can easily be different. I'd still like 4 days a week though..

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Upper, vertical focus: chin ups, over head press, pull ups, push presses, etc.
Lower, deadlift focus: deadlift, travelling lunges, single leg RDL, barbell hip bridges

Upper, horizontal focus: barbell rows, bench press, etc.
Lower, squat focus: squat, split squat, glute-ham raise, etc.

Don't forget to work your fixator/stabilizer/external rotator/hip abductors

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lower, deadlift focus: deadlift, travelling lunges, single leg RDL, barbell hip bridges

Br
:goodpost:

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards

Br
danke! :D

I like the above, but if anyone else has input I'd like to hear it as well please.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
danke! :D

I like the above, but if anyone else has input I'd like to hear it as well please.
What are your goals? Strength, size, fat loss?

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
size and strength.. fat loss can come later

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Best overall template for size and strength:
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html

One thing I highly recommend is to base the main lift on the max effort days off of 90% of your 1RM instead 100%.
Defranco has some great stuff.

Not sure how a rack lockout configures into an upper body max effort day, nor if I would want to do a plyometric workout following a rack lockout day.

Also, plyometrics will leave you sore in places you wouldn't expect the first few sessions. For example, doing jumps requires a great deal of abdominal recruitment, and trapezius, deep pec, and anterior delt for the arm swing. You'll be surprised how sore these areas are following a hard plyo jump workout.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Defranco has some great stuff.

Not sure how a rack lockout configures into an upper body max effort day, nor if I would want to do a plyometric workout following a rack lockout day.

Also, plyometrics will leave you sore in places you wouldn't expect the first few sessions. For example, doing jumps requires a great deal of abdominal recruitment, and trapezius, deep pec, and anterior delt for the arm swing. You'll be surprised how sore these areas are following a hard plyo jump workout.

Br
Obviously you have to be smart about what you do. A rack lockout would help immensely to overload the posterior chain and set up to a higher dead lift. I would actually recommend a reverse band deadlift, but still see the efficacy in a rack lift.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the jumps, however. These are very light on CNS recruitment, especially since most will not be weighted. The plyo part only makes up a small segment of the session and 5-8 sets of box jumps in the power range will not burden an athlete so much that his GPP and recovery are hindered.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the jumps, however. These are very light on CNS recruitment, especially since most will not be weighted. The plyo part only makes up a small segment of the session and 5-8 sets of box jumps in the power range will not burden an athlete so much that his GPP and recovery are hindered.
Point.

I was commenting more about full sport specific plyometric workouts, such as a plyo workout for sprinters and jumpers that involves 2-3 high intensity exercises.

While a box/concentric jump or single broad jump requires explosiveness, there's very little SSC involved, such as there would be in multiple hops such as hurdle jumps.

Br

firstmark

Awards
If you want a mostly compound routine you should consider a full body routine also. If you stick mostly to compounds varying grips would be helpful, like underhand grip press with cheat curl if you do no biceps work for example.