Bean's Training/supplementation and all things competition

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haven't seen bean lately but snags looks crazy big and dicing up a lot.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I have to give credit where credit is due. That guys got some wicked ass discipline ingrained in that brain housing group of his

Military jargon... Can't get away from it

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have to give credit where credit is due. That guys got some wicked ass discipline ingrained in that brain housing group of his

Bean's the same way though. That dude follows plans to a T. They're both good examples of impeccable work ethic.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Dave and Justin sitting in a tree...

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Can't wait for a nood update :)

Keep killin it bro!
Thanks hopefully I can shed some water by then lol

Calendar marked for 3 weeks from now...
Ill be there

Dem gains... Yeesh your making me feel like a shrimp
Hardly bro. You look massive In your latest pics!!!

He makes us all looks like shrimp...trust me...
Too kind but far from true

Even snags?
Hell no!!

You guys are killing me. I haven't even seen a pic of either one of em in months. I'm sure they're both leaving us in the dust...
Snags is for sure dood amazes me with his discipline.

^^^this

Crazy

Bean's the same way though. That dude follows plans to a T. They're both good examples of impeccable work ethic.
I try but am so far from that level of discipline. This is the best I've been in the off season. If it weren't for the ****ty weight I put on post comp (rebound) I'd be looking great, BUT I needed that to happen, as it taught me a valuable lesson about reverse dieting out of a show! Thanks for the kind words though

Dave and Justin sitting in a tree...
K I s s I n g
Wait wut?!

Lol

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
7-11-13

Little wo update since I have a moment

Today was chest day. I've been tinkering with my strength a bit as last week I got 300x3 on flat BP after a ton of volume lol. Today I toned the volume way down to test it again

135x20
185x8
225x5
275x5
315x3
225x10

My left elbow started to give on my 3rd rep at 315. Going back to the plan next week just wanted to see where I was at here.

Incline BP
195x13/12/10/8

Low cable cross
35x15/12/11 2 sec contraction

High cable cross
45x12/12 drop 25x19

Incline hammer strength
90x12/12/12 drop 45x25

Ladder push-up
2 sets xfailure

AB roller 3x15

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Tomorrow is back/calves/HIIT

Saturday is leg day número 2!

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

aceroni

Awards
Bean, what are your two leg days looking like??

Been playing around with the idea of hitting legs 2x week but it's hard I really only have m-thr to train..
I squat Mondays, thinking of adding extra leg work on Friday but I'd have to manage to make it to the gym before working 12hrs... Yuck

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Saw your shyt in FB today. Looking good

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Bean, what are your two leg days looking like??

Been playing around with the idea of hitting legs 2x week but it's hard I really only have m-thr to train..
I squat Mondays, thinking of adding extra leg work on Friday but I'd have to manage to make it to the gym before working 12hrs... Yuck
Yeah tbh it's fukkin diff every week. I can't find something I like. I'm trying to have one day be a quad emphasis day and the other a ham emphasis day but tbh I'm ****ing bored with the whole thing. I think I'm on week 8 or 9.

I'm not a fan of separating quads and hams. So I'm really not sure exactly what I'm doing. How's that for help ace ??!! Lol

Saw your shyt in FB today. Looking good
Thanks brother ! That pic was from my show lol I look nothing of the sort right now

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well if you are bored with splitting them up DON'T! Some people need to split them up and some people do not. Depends on your work capacity, bone structure, mind muscle connection, and many other aspects. The only time I really enjoy splitting mine is when doing a full body push & pull split. That way I can do my Squats all out then turn around later in the week and do my dead lifts all out. Bottom line most pressing or squatting movements hit both, I like to do a mix and break them down all at once. If you want to work them twice a week try a low rep / high rep day. I feel those are more beneficial in most circumstances. However once a week is plenty if you are really crushing them. That or on back day add in Deads and that will hit legs pretty good. Then just separate your leg and back day by a few days.

aceroni

Awards
Well if you are bored with splitting them up DON'T! Some people need to split them up and some people do not. Depends on your work capacity, bone structure, mind muscle connection, and many other aspects. The only time I really enjoy splitting mine is when doing a full body push & pull split. That way I can do my Squats all out then turn around later in the week and do my dead lifts all out. Bottom line most pressing or squatting movements hit both, I like to do a mix and break them down all at once. If you want to work them twice a week try a low rep / high rep day. I feel those are more beneficial in most circumstances. However once a week is plenty if you are really crushing them. That or on back day add in Deads and that will hit legs pretty good. Then just separate your leg and back day by a few days.
I feel like they need a little more than just deads.

Mine have grown a lot from 1x/week, but they'll grow more from 2x, which as a competitor I need

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I'm actually just bored with this routine. 10x10 are fun for a while but these sessions take a long time. Leg day alone takes about 75 mins without cardio and abs. I like to get In and get out in 60 or 70 mins everything included. My hiit is only 15 mins.

Mine have grown a lot from 1x/week, but they'll grow more from 2x, which as a competitor I need
My legs have gotten stringer for sure and my ass has grown but my quads haven't do e ****.

Even with the current volume I'm still recovered enough to hit them twice a week. I just don't know how to structure it to where I'm taking advantage of both days without doing the same workout twice. I was thinking of a heavy day and a volume day but with everything I got going on right now it's just adding to my stress trying to lay something out lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about crushing the entire legs one day in the week, then he could add in some heavy moderate reps deads on back day to get some extra stimulation since he said he was short on time and the two times a week was not really working out for him with his schedule not so much his recovery. Two times a week is greatregardless of if you split them up or do them together when you have the time but when you don't it is about maximizing the time you do have. Deadlifts fit into a back day and when done for bodybuilding IE deep in the bucket using more leg than back in hypertrophic rep ranges can provide plenty of stimulus as a second lift in the week to stimulate the legs.

I'm actually just bored with this routine. 10x10 are fun for a while but these sessions take a long time. Leg day alone takes about 75 mins without cardio and abs. I like to get In and get out in 60 or 70 mins everything included. My hiit is only 15 mins.

My legs have gotten stringer for sure and my ass has grown but my quads haven't do e ****.

Even with the current volume I'm still recovered enough to hit them twice a week. I just don't know how to structure it to where I'm taking advantage of both days without doing the same workout twice. I was thinking of a heavy day and a volume day but with everything I got going on right now it's just adding to my stress trying to lay something out lol.
Well when splitting them up EI Quads/Calve and GLutes/Hams - it is easy not to repeat.

To me from what you are saying about your progress it sounds like you are posterior chain dominant. I have to do heavy leg press with my feet low on the platform to get good quad growth. Squats are great and make my adductors, hams and glutes grow all day but don't do much for my quads at all. Even when I change my feet position to close stance and go ATG they still don't have much effect on my quads.

I like to do something like this.
Leg Day 1, 6-8 reps on squats , with lying leg curls, leg extensions and maybe some hacks all in the 8-10 range, and standing or machine calf raises.
Leg Day 2, Leg Press Feet low on the platform for 10-12 reps as heavy as possible, romanian dead lifts x10-12, seated leg curls, & leg extensions in the 12-15 rep range with seated calf raises.

Just something simple that hits your legs from all angles. After a little bit you can switch the rep schemes on Day one to Day 2 and Day 2 to day 1. Sometime i will do the leg extensions and leg curls first to pre exhaust the muscles, there are a lot of little things you can do.

aceroni

Awards
I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about crushing the entire legs one day in the week, then he could add in some heavy moderate reps deads on back day to get some extra stimulation since he said he was short on time and the two times a week was not really working out for him with his schedule not so much his recovery. Two times a week is greatregardless of if you split them up or do them together when you have the time but when you don't it is about maximizing the time you do have. Deadlifts fit into a back day and when done for bodybuilding IE deep in the bucket using more leg than back in hypertrophic rep ranges can provide plenty of stimulus as a second lift in the week to stimulate the legs.

Well when splitting them up EI Quads/Calve and GLutes/Hams - it is easy not to repeat.

To me from what you are saying about your progress it sounds like you are posterior chain dominant. I have to do heavy leg press with my feet low on the platform to get good quad growth. Squats are great and make my adductors, hams and glutes grow all day but don't do much for my quads at all. Even when I change my feet position to close stance and go ATG they still don't have much effect on my quads.

I like to do something like this.
Leg Day 1, 6-8 reps on squats , with lying leg curls, leg extensions and maybe some hacks all in the 8-10 range, and standing or machine calf raises.
Leg Day 2, Leg Press Feet low on the platform for 10-12 reps as heavy as possible, romanian dead lifts x10-12, seated leg curls, & leg extensions in the 12-15 rep range with seated calf raises.

Just something simple that hits your legs from all angles. After a little bit you can switch the rep schemes on Day one to Day 2 and Day 2 to day 1. Sometime i will do the leg extensions and leg curls first to pre exhaust the muscles, there are a lot of little things you can do.
Not a huge fan of extensions but I actually hit legs twice this week as well, Monday and Friday. Mine looked very similar to what you have.

Monday
leg curl / 1 legged sldl
Squats
Ghr
Then either Bulgarian split squats or unilateral leg press

Friday
Leg curl warmup / 1 leg sldl
Deads
Hack squat or Bulgarian or even leg press
Extensions
Finish with some lunges

As you can see mon is more posterior chain, Friday is more quad

What do ya think kleen

Calves both days.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks good to me!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Thought I'd throw a couple weight session updates in. Sorry guys still busy as fock so this thread isn't my priority ATM.

Yesterday 7/24

Shoulders

Warmup

DB OH Press / DB lateral raises
55x25/15x25
70x22/20x20
70x20/20x17
70x16/20x15

Behind Neck BB Press/upright rows
115x12/70x13
115x11/70x12
115x9/70x11

Seated Rear delt raises/reverse shrugs
30x30/185x10
30x25/185x10
30x22 drop 15x20/185x9 drop 135x20

Shoulders were wrecked couldn't lift my arms to drink bcaas. Pump was ridiculous 1/2 scoop karbolyn pre and 1/2 scoop intra plus max pump equals crazy pumps.

Today 7/25

Legs

Warmup

Squats
Bar x 20
135x20
225x15
275x12
315x8
365x5 stopped here depth was close but not quite low enough. Weak out of the hole
Drop
225x20 good depth 2 sec pause in hole

Hacks
3ppsx15/12/10
Strip sets down to 1 pps
12/12/18

Quads smoked

Leg curls fst
130x12/12/12/12/12/11/10
Leg ext fst
130x12/12/12/11/11/10/9

Calf raises on hack machine
In out neutral feet
All sets to failure didn't count reps

Notes-
So back on track with diet after a few days in the dumps stressed etc etc. weight back down to 214-215 upon rising on my digital scale. Today I weighed myself on my scale after pre wo meal then right when I got gym (5 min drive) on a counter balance scale (the kind in dr office). My scale had me at 216 the gym scale had me at 227lbs wtf??? Which one is more accurate? If I'm 225 ish I'm not very happy lol.

Strained my left tendon in my elbow wake boarding last weekend. Still bugging me on presses etc. dull ache a bit weak.

Training is whatever I want right now. Bored with the 10x10 stuff. Have a couple weeks left then I'm taking a week off for camping then ill probably start PHAT upon my return.

For now I'm thinking legs twice a week like I mentioned with squats twice a week but I'm thinking one day doing 60-70% Max with pause reps to work on my strength stability out of the hole, then heavy day on next leg day. Thoughts?

Reactions: 804
MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Thought I'd throw a couple weight session updates in. Sorry guys still busy as fock so this thread isn't my priority ATM.

Yesterday 7/24

Shoulders

Warmup

DB OH Press / DB lateral raises
55x25/15x25
70x22/20x20
70x20/20x17
70x16/20x15

Behind Neck BB Press/upright rows
115x12/70x13
115x11/70x12
115x9/70x11

Seated Rear delt raises/reverse shrugs
30x30/185x10
30x25/185x10
30x22 drop 15x20/185x9 drop 135x20

Shoulders were wrecked couldn't lift my arms to drink bcaas. Pump was ridiculous 1/2 scoop karbolyn pre and 1/2 scoop intra plus max pump equals crazy pumps.

Today 7/25

Legs

Warmup

Squats
Bar x 20
135x20
225x15
275x12
315x8
365x5 stopped here depth was close but not quite low enough. Weak out of the hole
Drop
225x20 good depth 2 sec pause in hole

Hacks
3ppsx15/12/10
Strip sets down to 1 pps
12/12/18

Quads smoked

Leg curls fst
130x12/12/12/12/12/11/10
Leg ext fst
130x12/12/12/11/11/10/9

Calf raises on hack machine
In out neutral feet
All sets to failure didn't count reps

Notes-
So back on track with diet after a few days in the dumps stressed etc etc. weight back down to 214-215 upon rising on my digital scale. Today I weighed myself on my scale after pre wo meal then right when I got gym (5 min drive) on a counter balance scale (the kind in dr office). My scale had me at 216 the gym scale had me at 227lbs wtf??? Which one is more accurate? If I'm 225 ish I'm not very happy lol.

Strained my left tendon in my elbow wake boarding last weekend. Still bugging me on presses etc. dull ache a bit weak.

Training is whatever I want right now. Bored with the 10x10 stuff. Have a couple weeks left then I'm taking a week off for camping then ill probably start PHAT upon my return.

For now I'm thinking legs twice a week like I mentioned with squats twice a week but I'm thinking one day doing 60-70% Max with pause reps to work on my strength stability out of the hole, then heavy day on next leg day. Thoughts?
Yoir a beast and phat is great!!! Kill it!!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those workouts are sick. The supersets on shoulder day looks simply painful... nice!

If you have been using the digital scale more often as your tracking tool then I would go with that as being your accurate one.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Yoir a beast and phat is great!!! Kill it!!
Why thanks bud good to see you

Those workouts are sick. The supersets on shoulder day looks simply painful... nice!

If you have been using the digital scale more often as your tracking tool then I would go with that as being your accurate one.
Shoulder day was fun rests were 30 secs. My shoulders have never been so pumped lol

I'm just calling the weight somewhere between the two lol. I just use weight as a gauge to see what my metabolism is doing based off what I'm eating

Awards
  • Established
70x22 for DB military... Reps for days! Nice work brother! That's some crazy volume!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
70x22 for DB military... Reps for days! Nice work brother! That's some crazy volume!
Thank you 804. Feeling strong as fukc lately lol. Problem with DB press is anything over 70 kills my shoulders to get up. I need a partner bad :)

aceroni

Awards
As far as training legs twice a week i've tried that before and am about to go back to it... I've never done squats twice in a week, I'd assume its pretty taxing. Once you get used to it tho you'll grow like crazy.

currently I'll use Monday and Friday. I'm going to train my whole leg both days, but with different emphasis.
Squatting Monday w/ PC emphasis, pulling Friday with quad emphasis.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work Bean, you are still crushing it! No wonder you are getting so big!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
As far as training legs twice a week i've tried that before and am about to go back to it... I've never done squats twice in a week, I'd assume its pretty taxing. Once you get used to it tho you'll grow like crazy.

currently I'll use Monday and Friday. I'm going to train my whole leg both days, but with different emphasis.
Squatting Monday w/ PC emphasis, pulling Friday with quad emphasis.
Asa Barnes gave me some advice that I'm going to implement for the next three weeks or so then after discussing it over with a buddy who is helping me I'm going to start a non linear periodization plan will go into play for 8 ish weeks then ill hit up PHAT.

Nice work Bean, you are still crushing it! No wonder you are getting so big!
Not getting any bigger lol. Dropping some water and getting shyt back on track. I'm happy with my gains even though I'm not in the condition I planned on being in at this point I've put on some quality lbs and will be trying to recomp down to a more suitable bf % by fall.
I learned my lesson of show rebound the hardest way possible but in a way I think it needed to happen.

Without all you guys and gals support who knows where I'd be right now.

aceroni

Awards
Asa Barnes gave me some advice that I'm going to implement for the next three weeks or so then after discussing it over with a buddy who is helping me I'm going to start a non linear periodization plan will go into play for 8 ish weeks then ill hit up PHAT.

Not getting any bigger lol. Dropping some water and getting shyt back on track. I'm happy with my gains even though I'm not in the condition I planned on being in at this point I've put on some quality lbs and will be trying to recomp down to a more suitable bf % by fall.
I learned my lesson of show rebound the hardest way possible but in a way I think it needed to happen.

Without all you guys and gals support who knows where I'd be right now.
If you don't mind /find some free time, feel free to share the details

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
If you don't mind /find some free time, feel free to share the details
Sure thing

For the next 3-4 weeks my leg routine will look like this

Day 1
Warmup

10x2 12-15" box squats explosive weight will be around 245 ish
5x5 heavy leg press
3x8 superset curls and ext

Day 2
Warmup
5x5 sumo deads
5x8 good mornings
3x8 lighter leg press

Will also be including some of these to help strengthen my lower back
Pull throughs
Zercher squats

On my 4th or 5th week ill try my 1 rep max to see where I'm at.

After that my non linear will look like

Day 1 legs
Day 2 push
Day 3 pull
Day 4 rest
Repeat

First three days will be strength heavy day 3-5 reps failure
Second will be hypertrophy days 12-15 rep failure

Alternating

Ill go through when it gets closer and decide on exercises for this.

This is all new to me as my knowledge on training is limited so I'm excited to try it.

Reactions: 804
MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Those zercher squats are gonna do wonders i love them!!

Your knowledge isnt as limited as you think. Trust your instincts and go by what feels right. If your low back feels weak...it prolly is.

You got this bud! Its always fun keepong ip with you!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Looks like some great workouts brother!
Thanks buddy gotta keep up with your ass :)

Those zercher squats are gonna do wonders i love them!!

Your knowledge isnt as limited as you think. Trust your instincts and go by what feels right. If your low back feels weak...it prolly is.

You got this bud! Its always fun keepong ip with you!
Never done them b4, nor do I know what they are lol. Gonna hit up YouTube this weekend.

Thanks bud just trying to push myself to greatness!

Looks like a very solid setup Bean
Thanks wasme we shall see

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Slept I'm yesterday as I was up studying till 11 or so thurs pm. Yeah yeah I know, Dave already told me I was a puss c for sleeping in.

Made today my chest/back day. I'm basically rolling with days off as I need them to help with my mental state from studying, training and high stress levels.

Warmup

15% decline on a flat bench (takes most stress off my left shoulder.
135x15
185x15
225x12
245x10 pause reps
Drop
225x12
Drop
185x12
Drop
135x14 smoked

Low cable cross big squeeze on these
3x15/12/12

Incline BP
185x13/12/11.

Single arm incline hammer strength press
3x15

Chins
3x12

CG pull downs
180x18
200x12
200x11
Drop
150x18

T Bar
3plates x 15/12/10
Drop
2plates x 12
Drop
1plate x 18

Bb shrugs
4x20/17/15/12

Huge pump lots of comments and stares as I had my boss body tank on and my calf veins were insane along with great delt/chest separation (considering my bf is that low around 11% guessing +-). Sick shoulder veins

No fukcing around these days. Get in bang weights gtf out.

Boom feeling very alpha

Off to help my sis in law move ghey!

aceroni

Awards
Leg setup looks good but I'd probably drop the lp the second day for something else.

Maybe some unilateral work, either one leg sldl or Bulgarian split squats, but that's just me.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Leg setup looks good but I'd probably drop the lp the second day for something else.

Maybe some unilateral work, either one leg sldl or Bulgarian split squats, but that's just me.
Good idea bud thanks :)

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
You in on this bw bench comp?

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
You in on this bw bench comp?
No I actually just saw it don't know the deets on it really. As you saw I did bench today will hit it again tues or weds tho. I want the sticker and wrist wraps bad. Only problem is elbow is killing me and same with shoulder have to stop about a half inch from my chest. Finding ways to work around this shoulder issue until I can get it taken care of. I'm weighing 215ish upon rising i think I could hold my own

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No I actually just saw it don't know the deets on it really. As you saw I did bench today will hit it again tues or weds tho. I want the sticker and wrist wraps bad. Only problem is elbow is killing me and same with shoulder have to stop about a half inch from my chest. Finding ways to work around this shoulder issue until I can get it taken care of. I'm weighing 215ish upon rising i think I could hold my own
215? What the fuk happend! I bet you are straight jacked!