BennyMagoo cuts the fat

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    Weigh in: 103.5kg
    I have no problem eating small portions as I simply cannot sit up for long enough.

Getting ultrasound and xray today. Also going to beg gp for more pain meds. I am in a baaaad place.
    I have hired a sub contractor to finish off my work for the week.
    Sorry to see this mate.

Remember, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

So just don’t die and you’ll come back better than ever!

2. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    Weigh in: 103.5kg
    I have no problem eating small portions as I simply cannot sit up for long enough.

Getting ultrasound and xray today. Also going to beg gp for more pain meds. I am in a baaaad place.
    I have hired a sub contractor to finish off my work for the week.
    Any news?
    I am hairy all over, like the crotch of a menopausal hippie woman.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    Any news?
    Yes. Ended up getting an MRI which found 3 prolapsed discs and a torn psoas. Still in a lot of pain, but I have oxycodone which makes standing up bearable. Also, I have hired an apprentice and another plumber for the next few weeks. I have actually wo a ton of work from quotes I submitted last month. Definitely no gym for a bit though.

4. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    Yes. Ended up getting an MRI which found 3 prolapsed discs and a torn psoas. Still in a lot of pain, but I have oxycodone which makes standing up bearable. Also, I have hired an apprentice and another plumber for the next few weeks. I have actually wo a ton of work from quotes I submitted last month. Definitely no gym for a bit though.
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that, never fun. Heal up proper in order to exact your revenge!

5. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    Unbelievable, considering that you go heavy in the gym for who knows how long without problems -and injure yourself while working.
    What is the prognosis? How long they said you will need to heal?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    Unbelievable, considering that you go heavy in the gym for who knows how long without problems -and injure yourself while working.
    What is the prognosis? How long they said you will need to heal?
    I am about to go to my first physio session so hopefully will find out!
    Also, got some great drugs from my GP now, and this afternoon I actually felt normal at work. Thinking about ducking into the gym for a little sesh!

7. I am feeling super positive after seeing the physio tonight!

First of all, he told me that if it wasnt for all the deadlifts and squats, my back would actually be in waaay worse shape than it is. My discs (L2-L5) have prolapsed to the right, mostly over time from working as a plumber. The top one has really popped out and physio was amazed it wasnt herniated but, apparently the anulus fibrosis (the tissue that contains the jelly in the disc) is super thick and refused to tear. If it had torn with a prolapse that severe I would probably need surgery! So the part of me that was wondering if I had done this to myself by going hard at the gym is super relieved! Also, not only will I be able to once again partake in heavy deadlifts & squats, they will actually be part of my recovery program (obviously not super heavy for a while though). The goal is to get back to pre-injury numbers.

Secondly, there is no evidence of a striated tear in the psoas, rather it appears to be a classic strain so there is no reason it won't heal 100% over time. I must become a master of pilates!

So in the short term, pain relief, massage & some foam rolling and leg raise exercises are pretty much my recovery protocol. Over time, my body will actually push the prolapsed disc back into my spine, and naturally inhibit movements that cause any further stress on the vertebrae (even with all the pain meds I still cannot bend over or reach up with my left hand without shooting stabbing pain).

Medium term (4 weeks) goal is to regain full movement and mobility, and begin squatting and deadlifting again with light weight. One of the rehab exercises involves light straight legged pulls with fully arched back into fully extended lockout! Sound nuts but apparently this is the latest in recovery movements for disc rehab!

Long term goal (6-9months) 220kg back squat, 275kg deadlift.

8. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    I am feeling super positive after seeing the physio tonight!

First of all, he told me that if it wasnt for all the deadlifts and squats, my back would actually be in waaay worse shape than it is. My discs (L2-L5) have prolapsed to the right, mostly over time from working as a plumber. The top one has really popped out and physio was amazed it wasnt herniated but, apparently the anulus fibrosis (the tissue that contains the jelly in the disc) is super thick and refused to tear. If it had torn with a prolapse that severe I would probably need surgery! So the part of me that was wondering if I had done this to myself by going hard at the gym is super relieved! Also, not only will I be able to once again partake in heavy deadlifts & squats, they will actually be part of my recovery program (obviously not super heavy for a while though). The goal is to get back to pre-injury numbers.

Secondly, there is no evidence of a striated tear in the psoas, rather it appears to be a classic strain so there is no reason it won't heal 100% over time. I must become a master of pilates!

So in the short term, pain relief, massage & some foam rolling and leg raise exercises are pretty much my recovery protocol. Over time, my body will actually push the prolapsed disc back into my spine, and naturally inhibit movements that cause any further stress on the vertebrae (even with all the pain meds I still cannot bend over or reach up with my left hand without shooting stabbing pain).

Medium term (4 weeks) goal is to regain full movement and mobility, and begin squatting and deadlifting again with light weight. One of the rehab exercises involves light straight legged pulls with fully arched back into fully extended lockout! Sound nuts but apparently this is the latest in recovery movements for disc rehab!

Long term goal (6-9months) 220kg back squat, 275kg deadlift.
    This sounds good! Honestly, I would take cutting weight more seriously (rigorously). 20-30lbs less would help tremendously for orthopedic problems.You will be prone for more trouble in future, unless your body weight goes down.

9. Quote Originally Posted by hairygrandpa View Post
    This sounds good! Honestly, I would take cutting weight more seriously (rigorously). 20-30lbs less would help tremendously for orthopedic problems.You will be prone for more trouble in future, unless your body weight goes down.
    Yeah maybe I will keep going until I reach 90kg. I am down to 102 now, and people are commenting on my weight loss now. Also I have noticed I feel a lot less "muscle bound" around the shoulders and torso. I suspect I was actually more fat bound than muscle bound.

10. You will feel much better.
    Since I dropped a couple of pounds, I went from a rigid semi monster to the "gymnast type" . It feels way better! My knees don't ache anymore and I'm more mobile( like scratching my back -or make sudden movements). I kept my strength -but I gained mobility.

11. Just go back from the physio who has given me the all clear to get back into the gym tomorrow for some upper body movements. So tomorrow I am going to get up early and hit the gym! There is no better way to kick off a new week so I am quite excited!

Back is feeling a lot better, and I am regaining control over my right leg - which has been wobbly and shaky ever since the injury - and can stand up straight now and even stretch my hands over my head with no pain.

Also, I am going to conciously rejoin my weight loss journey tomorrow by weighing in, tracking macros, and recording numbers from my gym sesh.

Current goal: 95kg.

12. Quote Originally Posted by BennyMagoo79 View Post
    Just go back from the physio who has given me the all clear to get back into the gym tomorrow for some upper body movements. So tomorrow I am going to get up early and hit the gym! There is no better way to kick off a new week so I am quite excited!

Back is feeling a lot better, and I am regaining control over my right leg - which has been wobbly and shaky ever since the injury - and can stand up straight now and even stretch my hands over my head with no pain.

Also, I am going to conciously rejoin my weight loss journey tomorrow by weighing in, tracking macros, and recording numbers from my gym sesh.

Current goal: 95kg.
    Good stuff mate.....at 95 I reckon you’ll look pretty lean

13. Hell Yeah Benny!

14. Here is where I am at today, Monday 18th March.

Hit the gym this morning:
    Lat pull down '65' for 5x8. My right lat has been numb and have been experiencing sharp pain and spasms. On the first set I could both feel and hear nerves flossing at the bottom of the muscle! Now the lat is no longer numb, but itchy!
    Feet up bench press 100kg for 12,8,8
    Tri push down dropsets with rope x3
    Tri push down dropsets with bar x3
    Shoulder dips 3x20
    Finished off by hanging upside down in the rack for 20 breaths
    Name:  inCollage_20190318_075337838.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  82.1 KB
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 03:28 PM