Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Weigh in: 103.5kg
I have no problem eating small portions as I simply cannot sit up for long enough.

Getting ultrasound and xray today. Also going to beg gp for more pain meds. I am in a baaaad place.
I have hired a sub contractor to finish off my work for the week.
Sorry to see this mate.

Remember, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

So just don’t die and you’ll come back better than ever!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weigh in: 103.5kg
I have no problem eating small portions as I simply cannot sit up for long enough.

Getting ultrasound and xray today. Also going to beg gp for more pain meds. I am in a baaaad place.
I have hired a sub contractor to finish off my work for the week.
Any news?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Any news?
Yes. Ended up getting an MRI which found 3 prolapsed discs and a torn psoas. Still in a lot of pain, but I have oxycodone which makes standing up bearable. Also, I have hired an apprentice and another plumber for the next few weeks. I have actually wo a ton of work from quotes I submitted last month. Definitely no gym for a bit though.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes. Ended up getting an MRI which found 3 prolapsed discs and a torn psoas. Still in a lot of pain, but I have oxycodone which makes standing up bearable. Also, I have hired an apprentice and another plumber for the next few weeks. I have actually wo a ton of work from quotes I submitted last month. Definitely no gym for a bit though.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that, never fun. Heal up proper in order to exact your revenge!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unbelievable, considering that you go heavy in the gym for who knows how long without problems -and injure yourself while working.
What is the prognosis? How long they said you will need to heal?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Unbelievable, considering that you go heavy in the gym for who knows how long without problems -and injure yourself while working.
What is the prognosis? How long they said you will need to heal?
I am about to go to my first physio session so hopefully will find out!
Also, got some great drugs from my GP now, and this afternoon I actually felt normal at work. Thinking about ducking into the gym for a little sesh!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am feeling super positive after seeing the physio tonight!

First of all, he told me that if it wasnt for all the deadlifts and squats, my back would actually be in waaay worse shape than it is. My discs (L2-L5) have prolapsed to the right, mostly over time from working as a plumber. The top one has really popped out and physio was amazed it wasnt herniated but, apparently the anulus fibrosis (the tissue that contains the jelly in the disc) is super thick and refused to tear. If it had torn with a prolapse that severe I would probably need surgery! So the part of me that was wondering if I had done this to myself by going hard at the gym is super relieved! Also, not only will I be able to once again partake in heavy deadlifts & squats, they will actually be part of my recovery program (obviously not super heavy for a while though). The goal is to get back to pre-injury numbers.

Secondly, there is no evidence of a striated tear in the psoas, rather it appears to be a classic strain so there is no reason it won't heal 100% over time. I must become a master of pilates!

So in the short term, pain relief, massage & some foam rolling and leg raise exercises are pretty much my recovery protocol. Over time, my body will actually push the prolapsed disc back into my spine, and naturally inhibit movements that cause any further stress on the vertebrae (even with all the pain meds I still cannot bend over or reach up with my left hand without shooting stabbing pain).

Medium term (4 weeks) goal is to regain full movement and mobility, and begin squatting and deadlifting again with light weight. One of the rehab exercises involves light straight legged pulls with fully arched back into fully extended lockout! Sound nuts but apparently this is the latest in recovery movements for disc rehab!

Long term goal (6-9months) 220kg back squat, 275kg deadlift.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am feeling super positive after seeing the physio tonight!

First of all, he told me that if it wasnt for all the deadlifts and squats, my back would actually be in waaay worse shape than it is. My discs (L2-L5) have prolapsed to the right, mostly over time from working as a plumber. The top one has really popped out and physio was amazed it wasnt herniated but, apparently the anulus fibrosis (the tissue that contains the jelly in the disc) is super thick and refused to tear. If it had torn with a prolapse that severe I would probably need surgery! So the part of me that was wondering if I had done this to myself by going hard at the gym is super relieved! Also, not only will I be able to once again partake in heavy deadlifts & squats, they will actually be part of my recovery program (obviously not super heavy for a while though). The goal is to get back to pre-injury numbers.

Secondly, there is no evidence of a striated tear in the psoas, rather it appears to be a classic strain so there is no reason it won't heal 100% over time. I must become a master of pilates!

So in the short term, pain relief, massage & some foam rolling and leg raise exercises are pretty much my recovery protocol. Over time, my body will actually push the prolapsed disc back into my spine, and naturally inhibit movements that cause any further stress on the vertebrae (even with all the pain meds I still cannot bend over or reach up with my left hand without shooting stabbing pain).

Medium term (4 weeks) goal is to regain full movement and mobility, and begin squatting and deadlifting again with light weight. One of the rehab exercises involves light straight legged pulls with fully arched back into fully extended lockout! Sound nuts but apparently this is the latest in recovery movements for disc rehab!

Long term goal (6-9months) 220kg back squat, 275kg deadlift.
This sounds good! Honestly, I would take cutting weight more seriously (rigorously). 20-30lbs less would help tremendously for orthopedic problems.You will be prone for more trouble in future, unless your body weight goes down.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This sounds good! Honestly, I would take cutting weight more seriously (rigorously). 20-30lbs less would help tremendously for orthopedic problems.You will be prone for more trouble in future, unless your body weight goes down.
Yeah maybe I will keep going until I reach 90kg. I am down to 102 now, and people are commenting on my weight loss now. Also I have noticed I feel a lot less "muscle bound" around the shoulders and torso. I suspect I was actually more fat bound than muscle bound.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You will feel much better.
Since I dropped a couple of pounds, I went from a rigid semi monster to the "gymnast type" . It feels way better! My knees don't ache anymore and I'm more mobile( like scratching my back -or make sudden movements). I kept my strength -but I gained mobility.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just go back from the physio who has given me the all clear to get back into the gym tomorrow for some upper body movements. So tomorrow I am going to get up early and hit the gym! There is no better way to kick off a new week so I am quite excited!

Back is feeling a lot better, and I am regaining control over my right leg - which has been wobbly and shaky ever since the injury - and can stand up straight now and even stretch my hands over my head with no pain.

Also, I am going to conciously rejoin my weight loss journey tomorrow by weighing in, tracking macros, and recording numbers from my gym sesh.

Current goal: 95kg.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just go back from the physio who has given me the all clear to get back into the gym tomorrow for some upper body movements. So tomorrow I am going to get up early and hit the gym! There is no better way to kick off a new week so I am quite excited!

Back is feeling a lot better, and I am regaining control over my right leg - which has been wobbly and shaky ever since the injury - and can stand up straight now and even stretch my hands over my head with no pain.

Also, I am going to conciously rejoin my weight loss journey tomorrow by weighing in, tracking macros, and recording numbers from my gym sesh.

Current goal: 95kg.
Good stuff mate.....at 95 I reckon you’ll look pretty lean

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Here is where I am at today, Monday 18th March.

Hit the gym this morning:
Lat pull down '65' for 5x8. My right lat has been numb and have been experiencing sharp pain and spasms. On the first set I could both feel and hear nerves flossing at the bottom of the muscle! Now the lat is no longer numb, but itchy!
Feet up bench press 100kg for 12,8,8
Tri push down dropsets with rope x3
Tri push down dropsets with bar x3
Shoulder dips 3x20
Finished off by hanging upside down in the rack for 20 breaths
inCollage_20190318_075337838.jpeg

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey dudes.

Went to the gym once over the last 2 weeks, and have literally struggled just to show up to work every day. But things are definitely getting better. Quit the oxy on Friday, got sick on the weekend (opiate withdrawal ??), then finally this morning, got my arse into the gym for some bench press. Worked up to 100kg for 3x5 then 1x8. Felt horribly weak.

Somehow, I put on a kilo, weighing in at 103kg.

Over and out.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Also, spoke with my physio last night who advised me I went be hitting any PRs for 10-12months. Pretty depressing.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thurs 28th March

Falling back into a routine. Started rehab exercises with physio, so now I have a reason other than bench press to get into the gym. Feeling a lot better now too, with my right lat coming back online after 3 weeks of numbness, tingles and shakes I can now actually do thing without constsntly dropping whatever I was holding with my right hand.

Did some research into the side effects of my recent drug regime and it turns out mild hallucinations, depression, insomnia and anxiety are pretty common side effects from sudden cessation of beta blockers and oxycodone. Good ****, thought I was going crazy.

Gym today:
Seated Plate unilateral rows 40kg for 3x8 each side. Right scap has been floating about thanks to the nerve damaged inactive right lat, so the focus is on contracting from the bottom up.
Wide grip pullup for 3,5,7,8
Chin up from extended scap to retracted scap then begin the rep for 3,5,7,9
Incline plate rows 120kg for 3x6
Physio: pelvic floor contractions, single leg raises, bar only rack pulls

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice to see you coming back! We are fighters!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BennyMagoo79 Workout Logs 253
Anabolics 8
Supplements 18
BennyMagoo79 Supplement Logs 134
BennyMagoo79 Training Forum 574