Fasting diet?

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Anyone tried this and what schedule were you on. Someone told me about this today. Basically I was going to eat from noon til 8 pm everyday. They stated I could eat basically anything during this time. I will fast from 8 pm until 12 pm. Please let me know what you recommend. I also will do some cardio and lifting weights. The only time I get to lift is during my eating phase. Does this matter?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I currently eat between 12 and 8 and generally train ~7pm (It would be better to train at the end of the fasting window but that will not suit the majority of people's work / life schedule)

IF is not an excuse for eating crap food, my diet hasn't changed I just eat all the same foods in a smaller time frame (after researching my wife's cancer diagnoses) and this is all the time whether I am in caloric deficit or surplus.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is just a schedule to eat. It won't provide any benefits over a diet where one eats every few hours, as long as cals and macros are the same. Some people prefer IF for a few reasons:

1. Lifestyle, they may not be able to eat at certain times due to work or something else
2. Training fasted, some people prefer training in a fasted state

Studies have shown that people lose weight on IF a little more than a regular diet, but that is not because it is better, it is because people will limit how much they eat in that window. Basically, they are restricting calories which is needed for fat loss.

And no, just because you eat in an eight hour window doesn't mean you eat what you want.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
They stated I could eat basically anything during this time.
You can eat large meals since you will only have a few hours to consume your daily calories, but you can't eat a bunch of crap. The same nutrition rules still apply whether it's a meal every 2 hours, or 2 meals every 24 hours. Nutrition and energy balance remains the same.

I will fast from 8 pm until 12 pm. Please let me know what you recommend. I also will do some cardio and lifting weights. The only time I get to lift is during my eating phase. Does this matter?
This shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you don't eat a large meal before you train. You could also move the eating window to a different time to fit it better with your daily schedule. It doesn't need to be a set time of the day. I did my fasting from 9pm the night before to 2pm the next day, and broke my "fast" with a late lunch.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Quick question. So
I started to eat at 1 pm which was lunch and takes about 30 Min next meal was 9 at which I finished about 10. Does that matter?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Quick question. So
I started to eat at 1 pm which was lunch and takes about 30 Min next meal was 9 at which I finished about 10. Does that matter?
No it doesn't, how much do you eat for it to take an hour!!

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Well
If I wanted to
Have something sweet. Lol. Like I’ll rest for 10 minutes and might eat like 2 bites of something sweet. Lol.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
I go
On nice dinners with work. Those take a while. Appetizer. Dinner. Etc. I do watch what I eat and I believe in portion control for sure when it comes to the bad stuff

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Quick question. So
It doesn't matter at all. Fasting is simply an eating schedule. Hours, minutes, timing, etc. is not very relevant in the grand scheme of things. Don't overstress your "fasting window" and eat proper nutrition for consistent periods of time to see results. IF is not magic, and it's not a shortcut

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quick question. So
You are really over thinking this. You're fine.

Amelia

Awards
I was told the similar advice but I didn't adopt it. I eat a very regular way, and I don't think the time/frequency change things. More you should pay attention to is what you eat.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I agree. I was told the gut empties and liver. Gets the sugar out and it’s easier to burn fat when you fast. Basically I eat at 1 pm and 8:30 pm. Salad usually for lunch. Tonight had subway. I would think that’s less than 2000 calories. Also worked legs and did light cardio. Will see how it works

zincalloy

zincalloy

Awards
What you're talking about is intermittent fasting. You do a window of eating, 6-8 hours and fast the rest of the day. I typically fast 24 hours twice a week.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Would cla and carnitane be good for a supplement to help with fat loss

zincalloy

zincalloy

Awards
I personally incorporated IF with zero carb so I lost about 15lbs in a month. I have friends that just did IF and saw weight loss in a few weeks.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Would cla and carnitane be good for a supplement to help with fat loss
No
Save your money and buy high quality food (beef) instead

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
^This. The thing I like about IF is it enables me to gain control over my eating habits.

Good luck bro.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone tried this and what schedule were you on. Someone told me about this today. Basically I was going to eat from noon til 8 pm everyday. They stated I could eat basically anything during this time. I will fast from 8 pm until 12 pm. Please let me know what you recommend. I also will do some cardio and lifting weights. The only time I get to lift is during my eating phase. Does this matter?
No, you can not eat "basically anything during this time". Calories in -vs calories out is still valid. Try to curb carb intake -and up fats and protein instead.

Here is how I see this:
Its NOT a "diet", like doing it for some weeks -then stuffing your hole with skittles again. Its more of a lifestyle change.
Reasoning behind intermittent fasting is, if you have only one big meal (that's how I do it) , the quantity needed to meet your caloric daily allowance, will not be met, you just can't do it in one sitting, IF it is clean food -and not Oreo's.

Edit: If you eat around training, eat after the gym, that is how I do it.