spitboy in the kitchen... Eating to gain weight (on purpose)

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Hi, I'm Spitboy. You may remember me from such threads as this Lean Extreme log. I'd like to talk to you about eating. I'm quite full... after 3 months of strict fat loss, I've decided to eat for a while; I'm going to build more mass underneath before I do another 3 months of fat loss. How is my typical day?

Height: 5' 9.5"
Weight: 186.2
BF: 15.6%

Supps: E/C, multi-vit, ALA, vinegar, Lean Extreme

8 AM - cardio, 65% HR, 30-40 min

9 AM - 1 egg, 7 egg whites, 3 pieces turkey bacon, 1 tsp olive oil
330 cal, 39 P / 3 C / 17 F

11 AM - 1/2 cup mixed oats, whey shake
392 cal, 59 / 31 / 3

1 PM - 5 oz chicken breast, 2 slices flax bread, .5 oz cheese, 1 tbsp eggless mayo
485 cal, 61 / 15 / 19

3:30 PM - 2 cans tuna, 1/2 cup oats
421 cal, 72 / 29 / 5

5 PM - weights (DC rotation)

6 PM - whey, 1 pkg instant sugary oatmeal
275 cal, 26 / 32 / 2

6:30 PM - whey, 1 pkg instant sugary oatmeal
275 cal, 26 / 32 / 2

8 PM - 5 oz striploin steak, 1 cup broccoli, 50g whole wheat pasta, 2 tsp EVOO
608 cal, 56 / 50 / 20

9:30 PM - 1 cup skim milk, 1 serving fat free pudding, whey
233 cal, 9 / 20 / 0

10:30 PM - 1 Tbsp flax oil, 1/2 oz almonds
202 cal, 3 / 3 / 21

Total: 3300, 372 P / 236 C / 91 F

I am an endo / slight-meso... originally 235 lbs / 33%, but that was my fault for being sedentary and a vegetarian. This is my first time eating to add weight on purpose.

My diet is not set exactly the same every day because I like to cook and I like variety, but I will hit the same general numbers. I'm aiming for DC's rule of 2g protein per pound and I'm split my P/F and P/C meals as much as possible. Be kind...!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't need 2g of protein/lb. That is a ridiculous rule but it doesn't surprise me. Protein requirements are based on LBM not your bodyweight.

You don't have enough carbs. I would drop your protein intake. With that high of protein intake with that little carbs much of that will be converted into glucose. The problem with this is the thermic values of protein is higher thatn carbohydrates meaning you burn more calories in the long run converting excess protein into glucose and it will take away from those calories being utilized for msucle repair. For cutting, this diet wouldn't be that bad but for bulking you need to shift your macros for optimal growth. For some reason people always believe more is better when it comes to protein and that is not true.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the comments, Bobo. I'm open to comments from everyone as you get paid to answer these things for a reason. I've considered hiring you, but another online trainer (not DC) has left me a bit sour at the moment. I know you don't agree with DC on much, but that is why I'm here to learn. I'm open to shifting more macros to carbs but I did just come off of a timed carb fatloss (which I know you're not too keen on either) so adding back even 230g of carbs today feels like a lot.

I would be happy to drop some of the whey for more oats. I also eat yams and brown rice and such on other days as well. So this is too few calories... as I thought. Feels like I'm eating a ton already; I will consider where to add and with what. All I've ever done while lifting weights is cut calories-- adding weight new to me and I want to do this correctly and not waste the past months of work. This is about 18x bodyweight in calories as is.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just don't agree with his and many other online trainers dieting strategies. They look more like trend diets they read off of internet sites rather than diets based on sound nutrition. I agree with much of the training routines he calls his own (even though they are not).

Actually the calories are not that bad, I meant to say too few carbs (which I changed). Your calories actually look fine based on your bf%. Don't use any formula based on bodyweight. It should be based on LBM first and foremost since the majority of your energy requirements are ulilized by this, not total bodyweight.

If you are coming off a timed carb diet then you should add carbs back slowly (over a peroid of 2 weeks). Yams and brown rice are great substitues.

cry0smate

cry0smate

The Chosen One
Awards
I've had really good results with one of Swolecat's programs. Not a plug by any means, just a way to state that not all online trainers are that bad.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No comment :D

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The 9 AM Post-cardio meal should be higher much in CHOs and lower (if not very low) in fat. I personally save my fat for the last 2-3 meals of the day. Nothing like salmon for dinner every night. Just my opinion

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
The 9 AM Post-cardio meal should be higher much in CHOs and lower (if not very low) in fat. I personally save my fat for the last 2-3 meals of the day. Nothing like salmon for dinner every night. Just my opinion
Thanks for the opinion! I should've been more clear that I have some differences on the days I don't do morning cardio. On those days, I do have my first meal as CHO and my later meals as P/F.

My thought on the P/F after cardio is a holdover from my fat-loss where I didn't have carbs immediately afterwards. Also, on weight-training days, I will have more carbs at the end of the day after working out, so the earlier meal will be P/F.

I do mix it up as my schedule is not set in stone. As I have to incorporate more carbs anyway, the morning is the right place to do it.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
My weight keeps going up and up.... I stopped the caloric deficit on April 10th-- 10 days ago. For a week I ate around maintenance and had as much chocolate as I wanted. For the past 3 days I've been eating 3300 clean calories.

So far my morning weight is up from 181 to 188... fed weight over 191 right now. So I'm really 190 @ 15.4% body fat. Gotta love that when you gain 10 "lean" (water) pounds just from eating oatmeal again. My workouts are much stronger of course now that I have some excess energy to burn. I expect I will look like Arnold in approximately 8 weeks.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My weight keeps going up and up.... I stopped the caloric deficit on April 10th-- 10 days ago. For a week I ate around maintenance and had as much chocolate as I wanted. For the past 3 days I've been eating 3300 clean calories.

So far my morning weight is up from 181 to 188... fed weight over 191 right now. So I'm really 190 @ 15.4% body fat. Gotta love that when you gain 10 "lean" (water) pounds just from eating oatmeal again. My workouts are much stronger of course now that I have some excess energy to burn. I expect I will look like Arnold in approximately 8 weeks.

Sounds like our goals and body-type are similiar right now. Are you sure you were around caloric maintenance if you ate "as much chocolate as you wanted?" :lol: Good luck with everything. I'm taking in 3888 clean cals today (leg day) and will SLOWLY be rising.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
thats diet is still better than 95% of people that lift, I think its decent. But if you looking for perfection, look no further than bobo.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bobo is not like other "trainers" None of these ridiculous fad diets, just a solid, well balanced diet that works.. I have been following bobo's weight loss plan for a little over 10 wk's and have dropped about 20lbs. I am currently at a bf% i never thought i could get to, let alone this fast.. I believe i dropped of over 10%bf.

Judging by your recent timed carb dieting, i can guess which trainer you were with and let me tell you before bobo i tried that guy too, and eating cheese burgers with no buns, etc is not going to do the trick..

Bobo=money well spent

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like our goals and body-type are similiar right now. Are you sure you were around caloric maintenance if you ate "as much chocolate as you wanted?" :lol: Good luck with everything. I'm taking in 3888 clean cals today (leg day) and will SLOWLY be rising.
:D Yea I really didn't pig out that much on my week off. I let myself eat whatever I want and surprisingly, I didn't want that much. I made the same meals but I had double helpings.... I had one donut, some chocolate almonds, a handful of M&Ms, and a hazlenut chocolate bar. That's it! haha.. pitiful...

We are even more similar-- I'm from Florida and I went to UF... at least 10 pounds of my gut can be attributed to La Fiesta out by the Oaks Mall.

thats diet is still better than 95% of people that lift, I think its decent. But if you looking for perfection, look no further than bobo.
Thanks bro, appreciate it! I've evidently learned something hanging around here.

Bobo is not like other "trainers" None of these ridiculous fad diets, just a solid, well balanced diet that works.. I have been following bobo's weight loss plan for a little over 10 wk's and have dropped about 20lbs. I am currently at a bf% i never thought i could get to, let alone this fast.. I believe i dropped of over 10%bf.

Judging by your recent timed carb dieting, i can guess which trainer you were with and let me tell you before bobo i tried that guy too, and eating cheese burgers with no buns, etc is not going to do the trick..

Bobo=money well spent
I don't want to turn this into an anti-(online trainer's name) thread, but yea, I'm sure we both know the deal. I was a bit dumbfounded when I received the program... I had done CKD and TKD before so I was like, oh boy, I get to eat an apple... anything else different? The Timed Carb works well for me and I dropped pretty quickly from 22% to 16% BF.

I have seriously considered hiring Bobo and I likely will in the future. I like my DC rotation though... I bet I'd have to do some more 4 x 20 squats, right? :blink:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:D Yea I really didn't pig out that much on my week off. I let myself eat whatever I want and surprisingly, I didn't want that much. I made the same meals but I had double helpings.... I had one donut, some chocolate almonds, a handful of M&Ms, and a hazlenut chocolate bar. That's it! haha.. pitiful...

We are even more similar-- I'm from Florida and I went to UF... at least 10 pounds of my gut can be attributed to La Fiesta out by the Oaks Mall.

Thanks bro, appreciate it! I've evidently learned something hanging around here.

I don't want to turn this into an anti-(online trainer's name) thread, but yea, I'm sure we both know the deal. I was a bit dumbfounded when I received the program... I had done CKD and TKD before so I was like, oh boy, I get to eat an apple... anything else different? The Timed Carb works well for me and I dropped pretty quickly from 22% to 16% BF.

I have seriously considered hiring Bobo and I likely will in the future. I like my DC rotation though... I bet I'd have to do some more 4 x 20 squats, right? :blink:
Personally, I'm all about the 5x20 ;)

Spit.. are you Canadian too? For some reaosn I think you are. Can't say for certain why I think as such though.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I'm all about the 5x20 ;)

Spit.. are you Canadian too? For some reaosn I think you are. Can't say for certain why I think as such though.

I was talking about timbits with Strateg0s in another thread :wave: beautiful and sunny downtown Vancouver BC... you?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was talking about timbits with Strateg0s in another thread :wave: beautiful and sunny downtown Vancouver BC... you?
Oh god. Timbits....

I'm keen on the Walnut Crunch. **** me!

Toronto area here (don't hate! lol)

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Oh god. Timbits....

I'm keen on the Walnut Crunch. **** me!

Toronto area here (don't hate! lol)

I'm a sucker for the dutch apple or a glazed sour cream. Hell yea I just won another free coffee... that makes 7 free coffees, 3 donuts, and 2 cookies so far this year for our house. We gave away the junk food though :D

Too bad about the east coast... would be cool to meet a local at the gym sometime.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm a sucker for the dutch apple or a glazed sour cream. Hell yea I just won another free coffee... that makes 7 free coffees, 3 donuts, and 2 cookies so far this year for our house. We gave away the junk food though :D

Too bad about the east coast... would be cool to meet a local at the gym sometime.
I can't seem to win ****.

I think in 3 weeks (at least a coffee 6 days a week, sometimes 2 and a tea for the lady) we've won a total of 4 times. One friggin coffee!

Cock smokers!

Don't give up on the training... I get out to BC on ocassion :) Where abouts in BC? PM if you don't want to answer publically.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
We won quite a bit when the game first started this year and then less and less the past few weeks.... we were theorizing they front loaded all the winning cups so it would seem easier to win this year.

No giving up here, thanks man... I'm in Vancouver, shoot me a line if you're out here.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
dutch apples? glazed sour cream? What the hell are those? Damn Canadians;)

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
This gaining weight deal is harder than I thought. Maybe I need more donuts in my diet.

Date: April 22, 2005 (5 days of eating)

Weight: 185.6 (down 1 lb)
Body Fat: 15.4% (-0.2%)
Abdomen: 34.9" (down 0.2")

5 days of eating 3300 clean calories and I lose a pound... marvelous. I know its just scale fluctuations; I've been weighing myself every day for 8 or 10 months now so I should be used to seeing it up and down. I'm sort of relieved that I haven't gained a lot-- I would be scared if I could gain a few pounds per week eating at this level.

I guess I will have to try harder and eat more. I stocked up yesterday on a pile of NY Strips and I'm going to Costco on Saturday for a huge whack of tuna and maybe a few bags of breasts.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's an interesting thing that the more you eat.. the more weight you lose huh?

I know this in my head but still difficult to eat more to lose more. lol

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
don't go by the scale man .. she is a foul temptress .. all the allure in the world .. but in the end she is a cunning siren .. she'll only sap your will and your being

rely on the mirror and your measurements so much goes into weight (water, if you've used the bathroom, how long since you last ate) just keep on keeping on my brother

besides when people see you .. they don't see you on a scale .. they just see you :) so if you're making progress that's all that matters

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks guys... I know that as long as I'm eating clean unprocessed food, that I should stay the course; maybe add 100-200 calories next week. I'm sure you guys are already there, but it I'm just now getting to the point where I understand how my body reacts to my calorie intake and type of foods. It is amazing really... I feel the difference between food choices and between eating more vs. eating less. This isn't something you're aware of much if you've always been overweight and eating junk.

I will ignore the scale... good advice and I should know that already. I feel much stronger in the gym, lifts are going up and pants are falling down... you don't need any more evidence, right?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I feel much stronger in the gym, lifts are going up and pants are falling down... you don't need any more evidence, right?
sounds like you are doing great man :) stay the course and take some pics ... then in a few weeks take some more and put them next to each other .. best way to see all the progress i'm sure you're going to make

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
sounds like you are doing great man :) stay the course and take some pics ... then in a few weeks take some more and put them next to each other .. best way to see all the progress i'm sure you're going to make

I'm in it for life. I've seen more changes in the past 8 months than the previous 30 years. Here is the incredible shrinking gut :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm sure you guys are already there, but it I'm just now getting to the point where I understand how my body reacts to my calorie intake and type of foods. It is amazing really... I feel the difference between food choices and between eating more vs. eating less.
Glad you realized how important diet is. The training system means nothing without the proper diet.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I am happy to hear that at your weight, your looking to bulk. I keep reading all these post about kids under 200 at a normal ht looking to cut or bitching that they dont have abs. **** abs, eat tons and get huge!!!!!!!

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
I am happy to hear that at your weight, your looking to bulk. I keep reading all these post about kids under 200 at a normal ht looking to cut or bitching that they dont have abs. **** abs, eat tons and get huge!!!!!!!
Damn straight man! Which is better... me at 170 lbs with abs and stick-arms or me at 210 lbs, beefy, with a pretty flat stomach? I pick 210 lbs any day. I'm going for 235 really... but at under 15% to start.

I got to a fat level that was acceptable to me and fairly healthy. Now its time to eat. Steak and onions and zucchini and a salad and some rice.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
OK looks like the "real, official, non-fluctuating" starting weight is..... 185.6 ... Weighed that yesterday, today, and 186.2 the day before.

I ate another 3400 clean cals yesterday. Today is squat day so I'll probably go up to 3500... oh wait it is also the Food Festival downtown and we're going to the inlaws for dinner after. Maybe I can hit 4000 :D

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
You don't have enough carbs.
Forgot one question I had, if you have a moment...

Would you advise raising my carb count by adding in some fruits? Or only vegetables and good starches? Assuming I eat quite a bit of oatmeal and yams and broccoli every day, can I supplement my carb count with more apples and raisins -- or for best results, should I keep the fruit level down and add more complex?

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
UPDATE

I bulked for 4 months. After equalizing water weight, I gained 26 pounds. Estimating by BF%, 16 pounds of that was lean. As an endo-meso, I'm very happy with those results... now back to the cut.

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
pictorials?
Hey yes I acutally do have some..

This is 193/fatass to 193/not so fat to 203 to 218.. doesn't show my low point of 181, but i think the 193 to 193 is pretty cool. My arms look small but they went from 14.5" to ~16" cold flexed in this sequence.

Attachments

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Looking good man!

Nice bulk. You look 100X better at 218 then your first 193 pic.

Awesome!!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Doing a GREAT job Spitboy.

Keep it up and keep us updated.

CROWLER

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I deadlifted 315 for the first time today... so I'm pretty stoked. (and old for using the word stoked)