Unanswered Basic Tools for the Kitchen?

U

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I am getting back into training. Of course, equally important is tools to help cook and store food.

I. I will list what I think are essentials. Feel free to tell me what else you think is needed:

Cooking Utensils
:

- Measuring spoons (set of 1/2 TSP, TSP, Tablespoon): this helps measure out 2.5 grams, 5 grams, 15 grams etc. of different supplements, etc.
- Gladware or similar microwavable, freezable, and refrigerator cookware (set of at least ten, of different sizes): allows to store home-cooked food, and does not break as easily as glassware
- Silverware: obviously, this is useful. I like metal more, as I can cut up meat.
- Cooler: as it helps me carry refrigerated meals

- Boiled Egg Maker: In China, I can get one for 5 USD. It allows you to boil up to 7 eggs at once, within ten minutes. All you need to do is add water, eggs, and plug in. It shuts off when it is done.
- Rice cooker: cooks brown rice well. It can also steam vegetables.
- Some sort of grill (regular grill, George Foreman Grill, etc.): grills meat with little fat
- Blender: makes protein shakes and smoothies so much better than a shaker
- Ice Cube Maker (Ice Cubs really do make protein shakes taste better)
- Shaker (usually several are good): we all know this allows us to carry protein drinks with us
- Refrigerator: We know why this is so important
- Microwave: We know why so important. Things like microwave potatoes are good
- Vegetable Steamer (either a pot with a steamer or machine; as these are so vital)

Foods to Always Have on Hand:

Protein Sources
:

Whey Protein (I cannot decide if Isolate is worth more than concentrate)
Eggs
Chicken Breast or Lean Steak
Fish (Smells bad, but a great protein source)

Carbohydrates:

Regular, Unsweetened Oatmeal
Potatoes
Yams or Sweet Potatoes
Whole Wheat Bread
Whole What Pasta

Dextrose or Maltodextrin (for Pre and Post Workout)

Dairy (Greek Yogurt, Non-Fat Milk, Non-Fat Yogurt)

Vegetables:
(I know vegetables are carbohydrates; but, they function so differently in weight gain and fat loss, it is necessary to separate them, in my mind)

Anything leafy and green (lettuce, spinach, bok choy, etc.)
Carrots
Pre-made vegetable medleys (as variety always helps people eat more and keep things feeling novel)

Lipid Sources:

(When I try to lose weight, I actually like low fat diets. Nonetheless, people should have on hand)

Avocados
Cold Pressed Flaxseed Oil
Raw Nuts, but not peanuts (although many people eat too many of them)
Natural Peanut Butter (although people tend to eat too much of it)

Extras:

None of these are mandatory. But, I find they help compliance. It is important to use in moderation, as a lot of ketchup, etc. actually contains lots of corn syrup, etc. Some bodybuilders I see fail to realize this.

I like sugar free, diet free sodas. Even though I knew them Splenda and chemical flavorings always could make sodas, manufacturers have suddenly caught up.

Spices: always add flavor with a minimum of calories. Such as:

Ms. Dash
Any Spicy Sauce (Tabasco, every Mexican city has their own spicy sauce, Sriracha, etc.)
Potassium Salt (as is a little healthier than regular salt)
Butter Buds (tastes a lot like butter, but far fewer calories)
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light Carton (50 calories per tablespoon, rather than 200)
Fake Bacon Bits, Often Made with Soy
Fat Free Sour Cream (for potatoes)

Splenda + Cinnamon (great for oatmeal, yogurt, etc.)

Pam or Other Non-Stick Cooking Spray (is great for fake french fries, or cooking without oil).

II. Any other suggestions from others on any of these sections
?

III. Just curious, how much budget do you guys think would take to restock this way?

Let us factor out the refrigerator, which can cost over 1000 USD.

But, microwave, blender, rice cooker, lots of food, etc. can cost probably 500 USD.

On the other hand, it can pay for itself within three months, and get much better body composition. When you go to a restaurant, they tend to put in lots of starch powder, cook with oil or butter, etc. The taste is about the same, but the calories are double.