Staying at calorie deficit at the expense of protein?

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
Tried a search and couldn't find much on this topic without reading pages of posts regarding cutting. When cutting or just losing weight in general, is it best to maintain a calorie deficit at the expense of not reaching the 1-1.5g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight?

Case example:
Normally I keep a strict diet but sometimes for the sake of social interaction I eat with a group but eat something on the menu that best fits my diet. (i.e. Pork Tenderloin ,double brocoli at Outback) I pull up the meal on Daily Burn, boom I've added the nutritional info into my running diet. Sometimes it fits, sometimes it throws everything off, usually calories and carbs. This puts me in a situation where technically I need more protein but have reached my calorie and carb limit for the day.

What would you do?

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i would eat the protein still and be more careful.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tried a search and couldn't find much on this topic without reading pages of posts regarding cutting. When cutting or just losing weight in general, is it best to maintain a calorie deficit at the expense of not reaching the 1-1.5g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight?

Case example:
Normally I keep a strict diet but sometimes for the sake of social interaction I eat with a group but eat something on the menu that best fits my diet. (i.e. Pork Tenderloin ,double brocoli at Outback) I pull up the meal on Daily Burn, boom I've added the nutritional info into my running diet. Sometimes it fits, sometimes it throws everything off, usually calories and carbs. This puts me in a situation where technically I need more protein but have reached my calorie and carb limit for the day.

What would you do?
I think that you are asking two questions here...

Firstly, for my meal plan I tend to stick with the same macro ratios for both bulking and cutting. This means that on cutting I am at about 1g protein/lb body weight and on a bulking diet I am at about 1.5g/lb.

I am ok with this because on a cutting diet you are really just looking to preserve muscle so total protein requirements are less.

Now if you eat out, I would just chalk it up as a cheat meal and not worry about it - accurate nutrient counts for restaurants meals are hard to get anyhow. Now if you are doing this every day then you will probably have to start tracking it and making adjustments elsewhere in your diet.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always hold the protein constant and adjust carb/fat amounts. Basically shifting more towards a Keto diet.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Case example:

What would you do?
Next time order a grilled chicken or fish based salad, and a glass of milk instead. Plenty of protein then between the two, and the salads if you have dressing on the side are really light

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always hold the protein constant and adjust carb/fat amounts. Basically shifting more towards a Keto diet.
thisssss I am cutting and my protien is at 250-300 gs a day sir....and I am making great progress on loosing bf....I am this most toned I have ever been

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't think one day of low protein will cause you to lose a ton of muscle. I you on a huge defict than it would not be wise to cut out too much protein to maintain a large deficit. But if you only going for an 800 cal deficit than is not a bit deal to sacrafice 50 g of protein. I just did I today due to a mc chicken I ate. Remember that carbs and fat are protein sparing so the more carbs and fat you eat the less protein you need to eat.