Too muc for one day?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Ok so i can not get over how amazing my 1.5mg Melatonin and 4g GABA works to put me in a crazy deep sleep. I used it today after class 1:00 or so to sleep i slept till 8 or so. Would it be to much to use it again for tonight? I love my dreams i get. I used it 3 days ago last time and im aware of possible tolerance build up. I prolly wont use it for 3 more days after today? Any ideas?

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Current recommendations for melatonin are SUB-Milligram. The sweet spot to get the positive effect without negative sides is supposedly around .25 mg. People take crazy amounts of melatonin. Less is more.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
well i have tried different amounts 3mg, 4.5mg, 6mg, 1.5mg maybe ill drop down to 1.25mg or so. i have the tabs so its hard to be accurate and break them.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i take almost the exact same thing around 4 grams of gaba spaced in like 3 doses(all within an hour) and,1.5 melatonin and i always sleep great...(even on clen and cycle!)

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
i take almost the exact same thing around 4 grams of gaba spaced in like 3 doses(all within an hour) and,1.5 melatonin and i always sleep great...(even on clen and cycle!)
I do the same thing as Trip...holy MFin shyyyyt! haha

Why do you space the GABA though?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do the same thing as Trip...holy MFin shyyyyt! haha

Why do you space the GABA though?
not shure? I take a few doses while im chillin before i go to bed...i like the little buzz it gives me....when i read this thread i was like holy sh*t i do the same think.....small fukkin world

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
not shure? I take a few doses while im chillin before i go to bed...i like the little buzz it gives me....when i read this thread i was like holy sh*t i do the same think.....small fukkin world
Gotcha, yea i def like the GABA rush. I couldnt beleive how good this shyt worked out. I get some sic dreams/nightmares to love it.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotcha, yea i def like the GABA rush. I couldnt beleive how good this shyt worked out. I get some sic dreams/nightmares to love it.
yea i dream my ass off every night..

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Current recommendations for melatonin are SUB-Milligram....
Correct, for individuals with neither insomnia nor any other medical conditions. Otherwise dosage varies. Some take up to 10mg for therapeutic purposes.
As far as I know there is no tolerance build-up to melatonin. And no addiction. The simultaneous ingestion of GABA may alter melatonin's pharmacology, though. Altogether, still agree with Yeahright: "Less is more."

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Correct, for individuals with neither insomnia nor any other medical conditions. Otherwise dosage varies. Some take up to 10mg for therapeutic purposes.
As far as I know there is no tolerance build-up to melatonin. And no addiction. The simultaneous ingestion of GABA may alter melatonin's pharmacology, though. Altogether, still agree with Yeahright: "Less is more."

Ok well no offense to any one but why fix whatsnot broke? So far 1.5mg Melatonin is working, i tried .5 but it did not do as much as 1.5mg. Also, i could have sworn there could be a tolerance build up.

Also i dont understand why less is mor? MAybe solo, but i know someone who is set up for 3mgs and a script.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok well no offense to any one but why fix whatsnot broke? So far 1.5mg Melatonin is working, i tried .5 but it did not do as much as 1.5mg. Also, i could have sworn there could be a tolerance build up.

Also i dont understand why less is mor? MAybe solo, but i know someone who is set up for 3mgs and a script.
No offense perceived. It is just that when it comes to supplements, I do not believe in a one-size-fits-all approach. Our physiologies are different for different reasons. If 1.5mg of Melatonin works for you, but 0.5mg does not, then stick to 1.5mg. For some, 0.25mg may be too much. For still others, only a minimum of 10mg would work. If a lower quantity works just as well as a higher one, then less-is-more applies. Probably obvious.

dean17

dean17

Awards
i say stick to what you're doing, you know your body better than any of us do, and mel and gaba are both safe substances, if you need to use it twice in a day then i dont see any bad effects coming from it except maybe accelerated tolerance, just dont make a habit of it, which it doesn't sound like you are

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

Melatonin is an exogenous hormone that you are introducing into your body. Think about the HPTA feedback loop associated with steroid use. There very well might be similar feedback loops (and resulting drops in natural melatonin production) from continuous ingestion of high doses of melatonin.

Victor Herbert, M.D., J.D., of the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, cites studies from Massachusetts Institute of Technology that say melatonin pills sold as supplements contain three to 10 times the amount needed to produce the desirable physiologic nocturnal blood melatonin level for enhancement of nighttime rest. Dosages are designed to raise melatonin levels for several hours to enhance quality of sleep, but some studies suggest that smaller doses are just as effective at improving sleep quality.[38] High dose melatonin can even be counterproductive: Lewy & al[39] provide support to the "idea that too much melatonin may spill over onto the wrong zone of the melatonin phase-response curve." In their study, 0.5 mg of melatonin was effective while 20 mg wasn't.

#38 ^ Zhdanova I, Wurtman R, Regan M, Taylor J, Shi J, Leclair O (2001). "Melatonin treatment for age-related insomnia.". J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86 (10): 4727 – 30. PMID 11600532.
#39 ^ Lewy AJ, Emens JS, Sack RL, Hasler BP, Bernert RA (2002). "Low, but not high, doses of melatonin entrained a free-running blind person with a long circadian period.". Chronobiol Int. 19 (3): 649-58. PMID 12069043.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin is an exogenous hormone that you are introducing into your body. Think about the HPTA feedback loop associated with steroid use. There very well might be similar feedback loops (and resulting drops in natural melatonin production) from continuous ingestion of high doses of melatonin.

Victor Herbert, M.D., J.D., of the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, cites studies from Massachusetts Institute of Technology that say melatonin pills sold as supplements contain three to 10 times the amount needed to produce the desirable physiologic nocturnal blood melatonin level for enhancement of nighttime rest. Dosages are designed to raise melatonin levels for several hours to enhance quality of sleep, but some studies suggest that smaller doses are just as effective at improving sleep quality.[38] High dose melatonin can even be counterproductive: Lewy & al[39] provide support to the "idea that too much melatonin may spill over onto the wrong zone of the melatonin phase-response curve." In their study, 0.5 mg of melatonin was effective while 20 mg wasn't.

#38 ^ Zhdanova I, Wurtman R, Regan M, Taylor J, Shi J, Leclair O (2001). "Melatonin treatment for age-related insomnia.". J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86 (10): 4727 – 30. PMID 11600532.
#39 ^ Lewy AJ, Emens JS, Sack RL, Hasler BP, Bernert RA (2002). "Low, but not high, doses of melatonin entrained a free-running blind person with a long circadian period.". Chronobiol Int. 19 (3): 649-58. PMID 12069043.
What would be considered high, continous doses though? I am only doing this stack/prcedure 3 times a week at most. and not 2 days in row. I noticed the research on less is more but i cant help but think that when i went down i noticed it was not as good. I have not noticed anythign out of the norm yet though either, emotion, body, function wise.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
What would be considered high, continous doses though? I am only doing this stack/prcedure 3 times a week at most. and not 2 days in row. I noticed the research on less is more but i cant help but think that when i went down i noticed it was not as good. I have not noticed anythign out of the norm yet though either, emotion, body, function wise.
I don't have any of the citations handy but as a general rule, take as small a dose as is necessary to achieve the desired effect. I've found that .25 mg melatonin gives me as restful a night of sleep (without morning grogginess) as higher doses.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
J Androl. 2002 Jul-Aug;23(4):572-8.java script:popUpMenu2_Set(Menu12065466); Comment in:J Androl. 2004 Mar-Apr;25(2):185-6; author reply 186-7.
Melatonin administration alters semen quality in healthy men.

Lubo****zky R,
Shen-Orr Z,
Nave R,
Lavi S,
Lavie P.
Department of Endocrinology, Haemek Medical Center, Afula, Israel. lubo****[email protected]

The role of melatonin in the regulation of reproduction in humans is unknown. We conducted a 6-month, double-blind, crossover study of a daily treatment dose of 3 mg melatonin or placebo given orally at 1700 hours in 8 healthy men. Semen quality (concentration, motility, and morphology), serum and seminal plasma 17-beta-estradiol (E(2)), testosterone, melatonin, and serum gonadotropin levels were determined every 3 months throughout the study. In 6 men, there was no change in semen quality or in serum and seminal plasma hormone levels during the study period. In 2 men, during the melatonin treatment period, sperm concentration decreased to 3 x 10(6)/mL and 12 x 10(6)/mL, and motility declined to 32% and 30%. These coincided with a decline in seminal plasma and serum E(2) levels and with an increase in testosterone:E(2) ratios. Six months after the cessation of melatonin, sperm concentration and motility were normal in 1 man but remained abnormal in the other one with a still elevated testosterone:E(2) ratio. Serum gonadotropin levels were unchanged during the study in all 8 men. Our preliminary observations suggest that long-term melatonin administration is associated with decreased semen quality in a number of healthy men, probably through the inhibition of aromatase at the testicular level.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
YEAHRIGHT--- I've seen that article before. If melatonin (3mg.) can lower serum levels of E2 and improve the T:E ratio through inhibition of aromatase, then this info could be useful to people looking to lower estrogen, right? Even if it was experienced by 2 out of 8 people, no one knows if it will affect them or not until they try it out for themselves. I've started taking 3 mg. at night to help with sleep, but maybe I will also experience the whole greater T:E ratio and lower serum levels of E2 as well. Anybody else know more on this subject?