Vitamins/Herbal Remedies For Mood And Stress?

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
My girlfriend was trying to look up some info on vitamin and herbal remedies for Mood balancing and stress relief, as well as helping with quality of sleep. She is looking to stay mainly in the Vitamin/Herbal remedies any help or suggestions would be appreciated. She is 21, 5'3 and 135lbs. works out around 3 times a week.

Robbo

Awards
I think there are probably a lot of vitamin/mineral options that could affect mood and stress/anxiety, I think it's a big subject.

I was having poor quality sleep and used Valerian Root for a while. It has the calming effect of a mild benzodiazepine and is sometimes used to wean people off them and alcohol. It is available in health food shops here in the UK. The effects seemed to last longer than when I was in bed as well.

I was reading on here, this morning (GMT :)), that GABA will help with anxiety (if that is what you mean by stress as 'stress' can be interpreted many ways). GABA is probably a bit overkill if she just wants to relax a bit maybe. Someone with better knowledge than me should probably comment on that one though.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look up reviews on here for X-dreams by IBE.

Ciep

Ciep

Awards
My girlfriend was trying to look up some info on vitamin and herbal remedies for Mood balancing and stress relief, as well as helping with quality of sleep. She is looking to stay mainly in the Vitamin/Herbal remedies any help or suggestions would be appreciated. She is 21, 5'3 and 135lbs. works out around 3 times a week.
There are several options that might interest her. Can you be a bit more specific about the problem(s)?

In the meantime, here are a few compounds you might look into:

GABA (amino acid, good for anxiety, increases alpha brain wave production - great for relaxation)
Kava kava (herb, helps some people with anxiety-type symptoms - I've heard tinctures work best)
L-Theanine (amino acid, has a calming effect, possibly a slight mood lift)
5-HTP (amino acid, used as a mood enhancer, has a relaxing effect on some people)

If you're looking for a good herbal blend for general stress then I highly recommend "Stress Advantage" by New Chapter (it combines a select group of adaptogenic herbs). I would also suggest a good multi to make sure she's not deficient in something.

Cheers! (literally)

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
There are several options that might interest her. Can you be a bit more specific about the problem(s)?

In the meantime, here are a few compounds you might look into:

GABA (amino acid, good for anxiety, increases alpha brain wave production - great for relaxation)
Kava kava (herb, helps some people with anxiety-type symptoms - I've heard tinctures work best)
L-Theanine (amino acid, has a calming effect, possibly a slight mood lift)
5-HTP (amino acid, used as a mood enhancer, has a relaxing effect on some people)

If you're looking for a good herbal blend for general stress then I highly recommend "Stress Advantage" by New Chapter (it combines a select group of adaptogenic herbs). I would also suggest a good multi to make sure she's not deficient in something.

Cheers! (literally)
basically between her family bs and school she is pretty stressed out......I guess sometimes it's hard for her to fall asleep right away and get good quality sleep....

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I would say Valerian or Kava kava. Just make sure to not abuse the kava as it's pretty potent

But what's even better than herbs/medications aka BANDAIDS for this situation is therapy or some sort of proactive form of self improvement such as meditation, lifting weights, exercise, yoga, and the like.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
For unchangeable external stress, I've had the best luck with a combo of Lemon Balm extract, Oat Seed extract..both tinctures from HerbPharm taken 2-3 times per day.

To ramp up the effects even more, Relora and Holy Basil work extremely well and even help me lose some fat.

Tryptophan or 5-HTP at night is also a great addition.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Phenibut. We often see stress as a flow of something, when in reality stress is not the objects themselves, but how we deal with them.

Phenibut is my cure all, but after a few bottles of it I can say I know how/when to use it best :)

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
I like to take holy basil and bacopa. Holy basil relaxes me and the bacopa gives me a calm focus, which comes in handy if you're trying to concentrate. I'll add in rhodiola if I know it's going to be an extra stressful day.

Valerian root and/or 5-htp will help with sleep, if needed.

If I only had to choose one, I'd take holy basil if I were under mental stress.