The Sweet Taste of Perfection...UKStrength Logs LG Sciences Perfect Carb (Sponsored)

UKStrength

The Sweet Taste of Perfection...UKStrength Logs LG Sciences Perfect Carb (TM)​

Hola!

After being absent for 2 weeks whilst soaking up the sun on holiday, I'm back with another log for you guys to get stuck into.

This time I've been very kindly sponsored by LG Sciences to give my thoughts on PERFECT CARB (TM)! and I'd like to extend my gratitude to the whole of the LG team for choosing me as a tester.

The Product: What is Perfect Carb (TM)?​

(Taken from www.lgsciences.com - manufactures high quality anabolic prohormone bodybuilding supplements like Methyl 1-D, Masterdrol and Formadrol)

"Carbohydrates are an important source of anabolism. Building muscle requires proper muscle glycogen which must be replenished at the right time and in the proper ratios, without causing fat storage! Without the proper carbohydrates, in the right amounts, the calories from those carbs could end up on your waist, not in your muscles.

Perfect Carb(TM) is the ultimate source for anyone wishing to add key muscle building glycogen while controlling insulin and fat storage. It is made up of three of the best known carbohydrate sources in the proper ratio to replenish muscle stores. First is pure pharmaceutical grade DEXTROSE, which immediately slams glycogen into your muscles when you need it most. Only enough dextrose is in the product to recharge muscle stores without overloading the endocrine system and causing fat gain. Second, MALTODEXTRIN is an intermediate glucose converting sugar that provides the second bump in available energy without spiking insulin, giving the second wave of glycogen raw materials. Finally, Perfect Carb contains WAXY MAIZE starch, which is a slower digesting carbohydrate that helps pull water and nutrients into the cell, making cell volume increase. It also partially converts to glucose at a slower rate, giving sustained energy.

Perfect Carb is unflavored, making it perfect to add to your post workout shake, or as an additional carb source for any application where additional glycogen is required."​

How Perfect Carb will be logged:​

I've used various carbohydrate supplements in the past to help enhance my training, including: Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Waxy Maize Starch (WMS), Lucozade Powder (Dextrose with electrolytes) and carbohydrate gels.

I fully believe that carbohydrates, in the correct quantities, play a crucial role in getting the most out of my training sessions.

Currently I'm not using any carbohydrate powders/supplements, just a ripe banana after training :)

The Protocol:

I'll be using Perfect Carb in the following manner to test its capabilities in supplementing glycogen stores, augmenting intracellular water retention and maintaining blood glucose levels pre, during and after training.

1st Training Session: Post-workout Perfect Carb
2nd Training Session: Pre-workout Perfect Carb
3rd Training Session: Intra-Workout Perfect Carb
4th Training Session: Pre and Post-Workout Perfect Carb
5th Training Session: Intra and Post-Workout Perfect Carb
6th Training Session: Pre and Intra-Workout Perfect Carb
7th Training Session: Pre, Intra and Post-Workout Perfect Carb​

After completing the various combinations of the above I'll post up a review of my thoughts of the best combination for maximal performance during training.

I normally use one scoop of whey protein diluted in water during training and finish it after training with a banana (until I get my purple wraath...:( )

For the duration of this log, I'll drop the banana and continue to use just my one scoop of protein. If there are multiple drinks (as in session 7), I'll spread the protein out amongst the drinks.

The Tester: Who is UKStrength?

Current Goals: Lean out further before my next DS cycle (E-stane and Dermacrine) and improve my lifting strength.

Long Term Goals: Compete in my first bodybuilding competition in the UKBBF in 2012 (Classic Bodybuilding Category).

Starting Stats:

Current weight: 170lb
Current Height: 5ft 9in
Body fat: 9%

Diet:

I'm current riding at 2400-2500kcal/day (maintaining), I plan to stay at roughly this amount of calories for the next couple of weeks until I start my lean bulk on E-Stane.

My diet consists of: High protein (40% ~250g/day) moderate carbohydrate (30-40%) and moderate/low fat intake (20-30%), I've found this works best for me.

Supplementation:

Daily Multivitamin
4g of high EPA/DHA content fish oil.
Whey protein concentrate
Creatine Monohydrate
ZMA

Current Training Program:

Monday: Legs and Calves
Tuesday: Chest
Wednesday: HIIT Cardio
Thursday: Shoulders and Traps.
Friday: Back
Saturday: Biceps, Triceps and Forearms.
Sunday: OFF

I've modified my program from my last log, whilst it's still pretty high volume I've thrown in a full 'arm' day to try and bring them up as they are lagging quite a bit.

I won't be posting up pictures for this log, as I feel the final review of the product wouldn't benefit from it. For those who followed my last log: UKStrength is slicing up some British Beef with IGF-2!. You can find pictures of me there.​

Oh! There must be a hot girl to start this log rolling, so today Isabel Lucas gets my pick...HOT.

UKStrength

Day 1: Post Workout Perfect Carb

First Impressions:

After receiving my Perfect Carb today from her Majesty's finest postlads, I decided to trial it today with my training session.

Packaging:

I've not used any LG products at all in the past so I was keen to see how they fared against other companies. I was very surprised upon unscrewing my tub of Perfect Carb to not be greeted with the 'Sealed For Your Protection' cover that's usually present on most protein powders, manufacturing fault? Most probably.

Mixability:

I used a blender for my first serving of Perfect Carb as I've got a new water bottle coming in the post, needless to say it mixed up perfectly with no arm ache :D

Having used WMS in the past, I know how much vigorous shaking it normally
takes to completely dissolve in solution. After I receive my bottle, I'll post up a video to show how well it dissolves in solution and after resting.

Taste:

I mixed up the Perfect Carb with my Whey protein (which has a strong raspberry taste), the dextrose made the drink slightly sweeter but not sickly at all. I could definitely taste the slightly 'chalky' taste of the WMS, however it wasn't unpleasant at all and definitely not as bad as straight WMS.

Texture

Adding the Perfect Carb to my post workout drink gave it a 'silkier' texture, I personally found it very pleasant to drink.

Side Effects

None at all. As with any WMS product, always drink plenty of water with it and there shouldn't be any stomach issues. I personally like to drink ~1L with a 30g serving of WMS and seems to prevent any GI distress.

Training: Chest

Dumbell Incline Press: 10,9,6,6 (30kg DBs)
Dumbell Incline Flies: 8,8,8,8 (20kg DBs)
Dumbell Flat Press: 7,6,6,5 (30kg DBs)
Gironda Dips: 6,6,6,6 (Bodyweight only)
Dumbell Pullover 9,9,9,9 (30kg DB)

Thoughts on Training:

Whilst sore from my intense leg session yesterday (nothing better than a good legs session to reignite the training fire!) I was pretty fired up for the chest session today. I haven't lost any strength over the last two weeks (holiday) so I was pleased, and with the addition of the gironda dips my chest was PUMPED by the end of the session.

Thoughts on Supplementation Protocol

Took my perfect carb and BOOM!, I forgot how intense and fast the volumising effect of WMS is! Now I don't use any nitric oxide products at all, but I had a serious pump going on as I left the gym that lasted for ages.

The drink went down smoothly and I didn't feel bloated at all as I left the gym, just swole :cool:

Perfect Carb + Glycerol+ Creatine? could be a match made in heaven :D

Sweet Treat of The Day

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
Yummy. The girl of course. Not knocking the product but what is the difference between regular and pharmaceutical grade dextrose?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I particularly like how the product looks, the bio hazard symbol is sexxeh.

IMMoose

IMMoose

Awards
Sort of has a "Don't **** with my juice" look...

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
subbed! looking forward to your lean bulk too :)

UKStrength

Yummy. The girl of course. Not knocking the product but what is the difference between regular and pharmaceutical grade dextrose?
Supplements that reach FDA 'pharmacuetical grade' have to be 99% pure, this makes the dextrose more bioavailable and therefore more effective than standard grade dextrose.

I particularly like how the product looks, the bio hazard symbol is sexxeh.
Got that right, it's the most badass container in my kitchen right now ;)

Sort of has a "Don't **** with my juice" look...
Nah that's the Purple Wraath...:D

subbed! looking forward to your lean bulk too :)
Cheers mate! Just waiting on that Dermacrine and my nutraplanet order...

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
Supplements that reach FDA 'pharmacuetical grade' have to be 99% pure, this makes the dextrose more bioavailable and therefore more effective than standard grade dextrose.
Dude, sugar is sugar. I doubt you will find 83% pure dextrose. Not being a wiseass. I just found it funny they used that term about sugar.

Looks like an awesome product. I might have to grab a tub of it.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In bro!, nice detail man! dam i want some ice cream now :lol:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sub a dub dub UK!

Craigmatthew

Craigmatthew

Awards
  • Established
Never wanted and ice cream so damn bad :p

UKStrength

...using igf-2 in PCT?
I'm going to check out PowerFULL (new formula) this time around, that way I can make a final call on which one to use as a staple. I'll be looking for the same effects I got from IGF-2 though ;)

UKStrength

Day 2: Pre-Workout Perfect Carb

Training: HIIT Cardio

I had some pain in my shins so left out the jump rope for today...

Circuit: Performed the following 10 times, rested 30 secs between each circuit.

10 explosive push ups
10 pull-ups
10 squat jumps
10 body-weight dips

Thoughts on Training:

I took the serving of Perfect Carb with my whey ~30 minutes before training, slipped down nicely and didn't sit in my stomach at all. Training intensity was pretty high, although I didn't perform any better than just having my normal pre-workout meal.

Had a nice pump going by the end of the workout but it didn't last as well as it did last session with the Perfect Carb in my post workout shake.

Sweet Treat of the Day

UKStrength

Day 3: Intra-Workout Perfect Carb

Training: Shoulders and Traps

Power Clean and Press (4 x 6-8 reps): 6,6,6,6 (60kg)
Upright Rows (4 x 8-12reps): 12,12,12,12 (EZ bar + 35kg)
Incline Bench Seated DB lateral raise (4 x 6-8 reps): 8,8,8,8 (12kg DBs)
Barbell Shrug (4 x 6-8 reps): 6,6,6,6 (140kg)
Incline Bench DB Rear Raise (4 x 12-15 reps): 12,13,13,12 (12kg DBs)
Haney Barbell Shrug (4 x 8-12 reps): 8,8,8,8 (100kg)
DB Neutral Press (4 x 6-8 reps): 6,6,6,6 (24kg DBs)
DB Lateral Holds (4 x 45 sec hold): 45,45,45,45 (3.5kg DBs)

Thoughts on Training

Great session today! Loving the reintroduction of the power cleans, gets the whole shoulder girdle and upper back warmed up like no other! :)

Energy was good during training with the Perfect Carb, however I didn't get as good a pump or feel as 'invigorated' as I did when I dosed it after training.

It'll be interesting to see how the combination of pre and post fares!

As soon as I get my new sports bottle in the post I'll have that video up of how Perfect Carb mixes in a bottle.

Sweet Treat of The Day

UKStrength

Nice review and image ;)
cheers mate :thumbsup:

I'm trying to be systematic with this log, doing every combination possible with Perfect Carb, before making my final call on the best supplementation protocol.

It's a solid product so far, love the fact that it absorbs so fast, no bloatage :)

Oh and the pics...well, who wants to look at text all the time! :cool:

Craigmatthew

Craigmatthew

Awards
  • Established

I'm trying to be systematic with this log, doing every combination possible with Perfect Carb, before making my final call on the best supplementation protocol.

It's a solid product so far, love the fact that it absorbs so fast, no bloatage :)

The different combinations are awesome. Will help those new to the product for sure!

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

This is why I love this, I feel no bloat at 60 grms. boy these pics your putting up really sidetracks me on what I wanna say:lol:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You gonna enjoy the ice cream shake UK?

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
Enjoying the log bro, keep it up.

UKStrength

You gonna enjoy the ice cream shake UK?
Lol mate, if only! The things I'd do to Cheryl Cole couldn't be posted in these boards...;) Oh and it's Rick btw mate, we're surely on first name terms by now!

Enjoying the log bro, keep it up.
Cheers mate, always a pleasure having the russian beast along for the ride! Still loving the calf routine by the way :D

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
haha right. Rick. How was your vacation?

UKStrength

Day 4: Pre and Post Workout Perfect Carb

Still no new water bottle yet...getting annoyed at Amazon! :zx11pissed:

Training: Back

Deadlift (6-8 reps): 6,6,6,6 (140kg)
Barbell Row (6-8 reps): 7,7,7,7 (70kg)
1-arm DB Row (8-12): 11,11,11,11 (34kg DB)
Close Grip Cable Pulldown (10-12 reps): 10,10,10,10 (70kg)
Pullup Variations to Failure: 5 reps (pronated grip), 2 reps (supinated grip), 1 rep (neutral grip)

Thoughts on Training:

I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about this workout. I've not hit heavy deads for a few weeks, so it was a shock to the system to load that bar up! I took my perfect carb ~30min prior to training and it settled in the gut nicely :)

Pump was ok during training (just sipped on my whey), but I didn't seem to have as much energy as I did last session with the Perfect Carb intra-workout...

As soon as that last pullup was done I slammed my post workout shake, the pump was nothing short of awesome :D Regardless of when else you use it, Perfect Carb seems to be superb post-workout for filling up those muscles fast! Looking forward to the next combination :)

Sweet Treat of the Day

UKStrength

And nice back routine also!
Cheers mate :D

Makes a change from the GVT Deadlift routine of madness! (check out my other log and you'll see what I mean...)

Arms tomorrow! I'll be happy to receive criticism on the routine, anything to make these buggers grow! :)

Craigmatthew

Craigmatthew

Awards
  • Established
My perfect carb and bc+eaa grape are on the way now.. it's gains time baby!

Cfour

Cfour

Awards
  • Established
Damn bro...great log so far! How did I miss this! Well I'm in now. Keep up the good work.:clap2:

Cfour

Cfour

Awards
  • Established
I'll be using Perfect Carb in the following manner to test its capabilities in supplementing glycogen stores, augmenting intracellular water retention and maintaining blood glucose levels pre, during and after training.

1st Training Session: Post-workout Perfect Carb
2nd Training Session: Pre-workout Perfect Carb
3rd Training Session: Intra-Workout Perfect Carb
4th Training Session: Pre and Post-Workout Perfect Carb
5th Training Session: Intra and Post-Workout Perfect Carb
6th Training Session: Pre and Intra-Workout Perfect Carb
7th Training Session: Pre, Intra and Post-Workout Perfect Carb​

After completing the various combinations of the above I'll post up a review of my thoughts of the best combination for maximal performance during training.

I normally use one scoop of whey protein diluted in water during training and finish it after training with a banana (until I get my purple wraath...:( )

For the duration of this log, I'll drop the banana and continue to use just my one scoop of protein. If there are multiple drinks (as in session 7), I'll spread the protein out amongst the drinks.

Current Training Program:

Monday: Legs and Calves
Tuesday: Chest
Wednesday: HIIT Cardio
Thursday: Shoulders and Traps.
Friday: Back
Saturday: Biceps, Triceps and Forearms.
Sunday: OFF

Great plan my friend. I've never supplemented carbs before, so this is new to me. I like the way your changing your times around....pre, post, & intra. I've been using intra only as far as WOs. But I've also been adding it to my morning lipotropic shake with breakfast. What about rest days....been supplementing once on those days also. Should I keep it on WO days only?
I've also added over 2lbs since starting Perfect Carb. That's the biggest weekly gain of my MMV2 cycle. My diet & WOs have been the same, only thing new is Perfect Carb, so hopefully it is clean weight.

Don't you love how well it mixes? No lumps.

UKStrength

Love Perfect Carb. Glad you are liking it.
Yeah it's pretty awesome :) I used WMS for the first time last year and that was excellent but this is a cut above WMS. I hate feeling 'full' during training (tend to leave 2-3 hours after a medium-sized meal before training), so Perfect Carb is ideal for me really.

My perfect carb and bc+eaa grape are on the way now.. it's gains time baby!
I'm really looking forward to adding this to my Purple Wraath! My current 'watered down whey' still takes some digestion in my gut, so it'll be interesting to see how synergistic Perfect Carb will be with an EAA product that requires no digestion. Might have no effect, but we'll see! :D

Damn bro...great log so far! How did I miss this! Well I'm in now. Keep up the good work.:clap2:
:006:No worries mate, nice to have you here now.

...I've been using intra only as far as WOs. But I've also been adding it to my morning lipotropic shake with breakfast. What about rest days....been supplementing once on those days also. Should I keep it on WO days only?
I've kept it to workout days only, for two reasons:

1) Carbohydrate formulas such as Perfect Carb are extremely ergogenic around the training period, I'd rather not waste a single serving when it could be helping me push more weight or recover faster!

2) I have no issues with reaching my target calorie intake every day, the only other area I could see Perfect Carb having a role in one's supplement arsenal. It'd be an easy way to add additional calories to shakes, juices, milk, soups etc. much in the same way I'd add 'Maxijul' (maltodextrin-based energy supplement) to sick patients' food and drink on the ward, without the burden of chewing and extra gut motility.

I've also added over 2lbs since starting Perfect Carb. That's the biggest weekly gain of my MMV2 cycle. My diet & WOs have been the same, only thing new is Perfect Carb, so hopefully it is clean weight.
That's awesome mate! Could well be the Perfect Carb, I wouldn't rule it out :thumbsup:

I'm not reporting weights or measurements as this isn't the point of my log, I'd rather use this as an opportunity to help other trainees work out when's best to use Perfect Carb around the training period, how it works with other supplements, mixes, tastes etc.

Don't you love how well it mixes? No lumps.
It mixes really well! WMS has always mixed really badly in the past for me, so for this to mix instantly is awesome.

I'll be posting up that video either tomorrow or the day after, comparing how it mixes in a shaker against regular WMS.

UKStrength

Day 5: Intra and Post Workout Perfect Carb

Training: Arms

Reverse EZ Bar Curl (8-12 reps): 12,8,8,8 (EZ+22.5kg)
Parallel Bar Dips (6-8 reps): 6,6,6,6 (Bodyweight + 20kg)
Incline DB Curl (8-12 reps): 10,7,6,4 (14kg DBs)
Close Grip Bench Press (6-8 reps): 8,8,6,6 (70kg)
Straight Bar 21s (21 reps): 21,21,21,21 (35kg)
Cable Press-down (8-12 reps): 12,12,12,8 (35kg)
Chin-ups to failure
Bench Dips to failure

Thoughts on Training

Definitely my favourite combo so far :D Arms were absolutely swollen by the end of my session, vascularity was awesome and I maintained my strength all the way through the session, banging out 3 sets of chin-ups and dips even though I was sure I was through.

I wasn't really feeling the parallel bar dips :( I've always had this problem, whenever my hands are in a neutral grip position (hammer grip) I can never feel any strain in my triceps, but strangely enough whenever I do bench dips (pronated hand position) my triceps get a crazy pump!

I think I'll change bench dips to my primary tricep movement, it's just a pain loading plates onto your legs, I'll have to ask someone to help me.

I was pretty sure my arms couldn't get anymore pumped but after my postworkout shake it was virtually skin-bursting! :D Definitely take in at least a litre of water with the serving of Perfect Carb, I think this makes a big difference to the pump.

Day off tomorrow, so no perfect carb for me :) I'll post the next combination on monday, hopefully with a video.

Sweet Treat of The Day

Cfour

Cfour

Awards
  • Established
I really like the idea of timing PC around WOs only. Makes sense to do so if my carb intake from diet is sufficient. More about timing my intake than increasing my intake.:biggthumpup:

UKStrength

I really like the idea of timing PC around WOs only. Makes sense to do so if my carb intake from diet is sufficient. More about timing my intake than increasing my intake.:biggthumpup:
Definitely.

Most trainees I've worked with are eating enough carbohydrates if body composition changes are their main goal (~3g CHO/kg/LBM is plenty for most). The timing of them, like you say, just needs tweaking.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Video review would be killer ;)
It's coming...;)
you just keep putting those treats of the day up! hahahaha :lol:,
Im seriously loving this carb mix, I add in Slin to mine with the bc+eaa's, "compiled by my good friend IBC" and my skin wants to rip. I cant compare it to WMS, ive never used it, but i will take your word UK..;)

UKStrength

you just keep putting those treats of the day up! hahahaha :lol:,

Don't worry I will do mate ;) They're a staple in my logs.

Im seriously loving this carb mix, I add in Slin to mine with the bc+eaa's, "compiled by my good friend IBC" and my skin wants to rip. I cant compare it to WMS, ive never used it, but i will take your word UK..;)
I'm liking it so far too mate, I've never tried an insulin-mimicker like SLIN but I'd imagine the pumps would be insane!

WMS is good mate but a nightmare to mix at times (especially in a shaker), it clumps and tastes very chalky.

I'll put the two in the video so you can see what I mean. Cheers for the input mate and the reps.

UKStrength

Day 6: Pre and Intra-Workout Perfect Carb

Training: Legs

Close Stance Back Squat: (6-8 reps) 6,6,6,6 (85kg)
Romanian Deadlift: (6-8 reps) 6,6,6,6 (105kg)
DB Lunges: (12-15 reps) 12,12,12,12 (24kg DBs)
Leg Extension: (8-12 reps) 10,9,8,8 (30kg)
Hamstring Curls: (8-12 reps) 12,12,9,8 (25kg)
Seated Calf Raise: (up to 100 reps) 78 reps (60kg)

Thoughts on Training:

Monday is leg day for me (unlike 99% of the lifters in my gym where it's chest day :)) and I always dread completing this session because it's so physically draining. Today was all about the form, so the numbers are pretty low. However, I've not got much overall size in my outer quads (possibly due to years of pointing my toes outward and taking a wider stance to squat deeper) so I kept it close, tight and nailed those wheels today!

Took my first serving of Perfect Carb ~1 hour before training, it slipped down nicely as always :) I'm really liking how there's no bloat, gas or general gastric discomfort whatsoever, but I didn't feel much different in terms of 'energy' from a regular shake/meal.

The intra-workout shake is where Perfect Carb really shone. Last week I went slightly 'light-headed' (possible low blood glucose) during my legs session with just my whey-based drink. Today I felt awesome :) fully focused and I even banged out a few sets of pullups at the end of training, I felt that good.

No pump once I took my regular whey and banana combo post training :( and I felt uncomfortably full with the extra food in my gut. Extra water didn't remove the feeling at all, I had to walk it off.

As a side note...my patients are always complaining that Maxijul (maltodextrin) gives them 'upset stomachs' maybe I should get Perfect Carb on the ward! :biglaugh:

Looking forward to the final combo, Pre, Intra and Post-workout Perfect Carb!

Sweet Treat of the Day

UKStrength

Very good :p My Bc+Eaa and Perfect Carb should be arrivng end of this week, very excited about how this will go with my new turn it up program.. haha
Nice mate :) I'm doing the same with my Purple Wraath (when it arrives) to see how much better EAAs/BCAAs are with Perfect Carb than just plain old whey during training.

I've asked some of the CL reps as well for some Glycergrow samples to see how synergistic it is with cell volumisers...should be pumpilicious! :biglaugh:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If its one thing you can count on its Rick putting in 100% on logs. Great job buiddy.