people are getting more stupid

pudgy

Awards
[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 2/25/03 ]

Police: Man shoots girl for throwing snowballs

The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- A man whose daughter was hit with a snowball by a group of girls returned to the scene and opened fire with a gun, critically wounding a 10-year-old youngster, police said.

Joseph Best, 32, was arrested Monday and jailed on charges including attempted murder.

The victim was in critical condition with a head wound.

Best's daughter was hit with a snowball as she and her friends walked past a group of girls having a "friendly snowball fight" Sunday, police Capt. Charles Bloom said.

A scuffle then broke out among the dozen or so girls, who ranged in age from 10 to 15. The groups soon parted ways, but Best returned with an older daughter and another brawl erupted, this time between adult relatives of both groups, Bloom said.

Police broke up that fight, but said Best came back again hours later, leaned out the passenger side of a moving car and fired at least five shots into the group of children still playing on the street. Authorities were trying to determine who was driving.

Police said the girl who was shot had been inside during the scuffles.

"This little girl had nothing to do with anything. She wasn't involved in the fight," Bloom said. "He just seemed to be randomly shooting into the crowd."

It could not be immediately determined Wednesday if Best had a lawyer.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
its really sad when kids cant get out and have a good old fashioned snowball fight without some creep like this coming along and turning it into a tragedy. sounds like the kids had more maturity than this guy did...i hope they throw the book at him.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats Philly! :D

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
:think: snowballs and bullets how does that sound even. That is one sick f***

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno have you ever been hit with a snowball with a rock in the middle or an iceball? I think a bullet is fair game for that.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Beginning? Try being a cop for a while...I've hated people for a long time now.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
It's hard for me Jayhawkk, as I was sent here to judge you all.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Thats Philly! :D
:jaw: sounds like fvcking hell ! No wonder you hate everybody :D If that SOB had done that one of my sisters the cops would have found him in a river of his own blood

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
... at least it wasnt wit an ak47, or around 5 girls wound be in intensive care or 6 ft under;)

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
I dunno have you ever been hit with a snowball with a rock in the middle or an iceball? I think a bullet is fair game for that.
Yes! But then I just tripped then shoved his face in the snow for it.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Patience? Define patience, bc there is no such thing as patience at my gym. Got the smallest guys runnin around sayin this is how Jay Cutler started off ( keep in mind, they're are usin 5lb dumbbells:wtf: takin up all the benches ) No such thing as patience to me. So it can't be the patience, this means it's gotta be the money:toofunny:
true lol. Or they take up all the benches and talk about what they did the day before and how one day tey just might have some size,lol. Aint gettin no bigger sittin down, talkin, thats what i tell em lol.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
While that is pretty twisted... in relation to your topic...

Is the world getting that much more stupid/violent? I mean people always say that the world is a "sicker" or "worse" place every year. But think about it. People have been doing this stuff for years.

Back in roman times, things like gladitorial games were common. In medieval times people were burned at the steak for no real reason. At last check we havent had any world wars in the past 60 years, compared to the 2 in the first half of last century.

The only REAL difference is the media. Back in the 30's if a child went missing a state over I would bet you would never hear about it. Now a kid in Utah is missing and we know about it in New England.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Patience? Define patience, bc there is no such thing as patience at my gym. Got the smallest guys runnin around sayin this is how Jay Cutler started off ( keep in mind, they're are usin 5lb dumbbells:wtf: takin up all the benches ) No such thing as patience to me. So it can't be the patience, this means it's gotta be the money:toofunny:

You dont need patience to become the next Cutler. You just need a double dose of Cell Tech, followed by 60 sets of bi's and bench.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
Is the world getting that much more stupid/violent? I mean people always say that the world is a "sicker" or "worse" place every year. But think about it. People have been doing this stuff for years.
Depends where. Here was pretty good when I 1st moved here. Now i keep hearing about people getting shot or stabbed. I had a friend get jumped from the back and beat up last week by 3 guys for no reason. Another friends friend got chased by a couple of guys with machetes. Some random person at a bus stop got swarmed and attacked with sledges hammers they had just bought. I don't want to get into the fact that it seems to be mainly the same "social" group...

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
While that is pretty twisted... in relation to your topic...

Back in roman times, things like gladitorial games were common. In medieval times people were burned at the steak for no real reason. At last check we havent had any world wars in the past 60 years, compared to the 2 in the first half of last century.

The only REAL difference is the media. Back in the 30's if a child went missing a state over I would bet you would never hear about it. Now a kid in Utah is missing and we know about it in New England.

The REAL difference is the desensitization to these incidents... People calmly post "lol" and talk about people they judge at their gym on the very thread we hear about a 10 year old girl with a headwound from a bullet....

In the 30's those people would at least give a sh1t about that kid missing a state over if they heard about it.

Now in no means am I trying to have a holier than thou attitude here, I just think that its' not a question of the world getting sicker, it's the fact that our reaction to the "sickness" is a bit more buffered. Some could say maybe it's from the incidents happening more frequently, or just what we view as entertainment desensitizes us more and more.

Either way, it's a shame it happened to that girl, and the sad thing is it happens all the time.. as I'm sure Jayhawkk can attest to.

Not much I can do about, other than hate humans. :fart:

gymrat5713

gymrat5713

Awards
The REAL difference is the desensitization to these incidents... People calmly post "lol" and talk about people they judge at their gym on the very thread we hear about a 10 year old girl with a headwound from a bullet....

In the 30's those people would at least give a sh1t about that kid missing a state over if they heard about it.

Now in no means am I trying to have a holier than thou attitude here, I just think that its' not a question of the world getting sicker, it's the fact that our reaction to the "sickness" is a bit more buffered. Some could say maybe it's from the incidents happening more frequently, or just what we view as entertainment desensitizes us more and more.

Either way, it's a shame it happened to that girl, and the sad thing is it happens all the time.. as I'm sure Jayhawkk can attest to.

Not much I can do about, other than hate humans. :fart:
I understand exactly what you mean. Once a crime happens though most people just go on the very next day and can easily forget about what happened / and ur right it probaly is bc it happens every day some where in this world which is unthinkable but most of the people who are sick to do a crime like that it's too late when their true side shows, except put them on deathrow for 15 years

gymrat5713

gymrat5713

Awards
I just get more bitter/grumpy.
And I just wonder what I could do to make my area a better place for my children in the future, but the truth is, one person can not make the world a better place no matter how hard he or she tries nor a small area. And when something like that happens in someones area, that's when their finally concerned, which then is too late.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today as compared to the 30's and even going back centuries has one thing they didn't have. Mass media and constant bombardment of this stuff. Desensitization is real. And just like Ubi said is the real problem. Not that this stuff has bad but our reactions to it are becoming less extreme.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I think I’m going to take a scientific look at the problem...

While sharks have been known to eat their young and bees to kill their out of commission elders, only humans (as far as I know) kill their own for no real benefit, such as food with sharks.

Now what separates humans from other species. I think there are 2 general differences that could make humans the only species capable of evil.
1- Advanced reasoning (otters using rocks to open a clam shell is reasoning, but it doesnt compare with building an international space station)
2- Advanced civilization

Of humans, who has the most advanced of advanced reasoning. Einstein, Stephen hawking, etc. are the smartest men to ever live. Were they violent? No. If Advanced reasoning made people evil, they would be the most violent. Therefore I believe its advanced civilization.

There are 2 things about civilization that brings about evil. The first is segregation amongst humans into nations, religions, etc. Species such as lions will have fights between different prides, but only over food. Lions dont launch crusades like the medieval Christians, which was not required for their survival. (Which, by the way, is NOT Christianity. Killing anyone in the name of Jesus is like making a donation to the United Negro College Fund in the name of the KKK).

Now what does that have to do with the article? Humans from other nations, infact other families, dont view themselves as family like we should. If this mans brother threw the snowball, I bet no shots would have been fired.

Civilization causes evil in another way, too. Inside of civilizations, take the US for example, economic classes bring about evil. The guy that shot that girl, probably not financially well off. Sure, rich people loose it all the time, but I would bet no guy driving a souped up benz and a 5 story luxury home is going to shoot some little girl. The answer to this is not really keeping kids in school to get better jobs. Think about it, jobs arent going to pop out of the sky just because more people are educated. There are college grads all over this country that are qualified for hi paying jobs, but cant find work. Theoretically, if everyone in this country had a masters degree, then some people with masters degrees would be making minimum wage at mcdonalds. The only real way to bring up the bottom is the lower the top. Or (long pause) institute communism. However, we all know why that wont work.

How do we fix this? I dont know. It is almost guaranteed that there will always be a top and a bottom economic classes in this country. It is also guaranteed that 90% of those who grow up in poverty will grow up bitter because of it.

In conclusion, the only way we can remove evil from this world is to remove nations and economic classes. We need to not live in countries, states, or provinces, we have to just exist as one. We must also level out the economic classes, which will prevent poverty from creating evil in the minds of the young ones who grow up in it.

How? No idea yet.

And I dont want to sound like an ass but...

I just get more bitter/grumpy.
If you get grumpy every time something like this happens in the world, you are never going to smile, brother.

Rivet

Rivet

Awards
  • Established
And I dont want to sound like an ass but...

If you get grumpy every time something like this happens in the world, you are never going to smile, brother.
No your right and I don't. I care too much...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
In conclusion, the only way we can remove evil from this world is to remove nations and economic classes. We need to not live in countries, states, or provinces, we have to just exist as one. We must also level out the economic classes, which will prevent poverty from creating evil in the minds of the young ones who grow up in it.

How? No idea yet.
Call me a pessimist but I don't think you can get rid of evil. I think evil will always be among us even if we get rid of countries and level out economic classes. By the way, if you create a one world gov't (which is what getting rid of countries amounts to) then you would have to compete with a lot more people for the jobs, resources, and privileges that you have for living in the USA. I know I wouldn't give that up because that amounts to giving up what Americans fought and died for so I could enjoy it. I'm not about to give that up so the rest of the world can be in harmony. Does that make me evil ? It depends on your point of view. I think you have to fight evil at a cultural level, not by changing the entire structure we have become accustomed to.

By the way, are there any stats that show we have more crime PER CAPITA then ever before. As the world population increases there should be an increase in crime. I also believe the world was a lot more violent in the past. You had the Holocaust in WWII plus the soldiers who died. Add the Spanish inquisition, the Holocaust of Native Americans, WWI was pretty freaking nasty, the more or less 100 million people who died because of Communism, etc. What would you take, the world as it is today or as it used to be :) ?

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
By the way, are there any stats that show we have more crime PER CAPITA then ever before. As the world population increases there should be an increase in crime. I also believe the world was a lot more violent in the past. You had the Holocaust in WWII plus the soldiers who died. Add the Spanish inquisition, the Holocaust of Native Americans, WWI was pretty freaking nasty, the more or less 100 million people who died because of Communism, etc. What would you take, the world as it is today or as it used to be :) ?
I agree man, I think were just hearing about it on the news way more now, this kind of thing has been goin on forever and now the media is just able to show and talk about more and more.