B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Will Chromium Help Me to Lose Weight

Chromium supplements can contain several different forms of chromium, such as chromium nicotinate, chromium polynicotinate, chromium chloride, and the most popular, chromium picolinate.

You may have heard that chromium is needed by the body. This is true. Chromium is an essential trace mineral that aids in the action of insulin. Since insulin is one of the most important hormones involved in energy metabolism, it was thought that chromium supplementation could help with fat loss.

Sadly, there have been mixed results in studies which have examined chromium?s role as a weight loss aid. One review showed no benefit for chromium supplementation, while another reported very slight weight loss in people who took the supplement versus those who didn?t.

Most of the studies done thus far have not been conducted for a long enough period of time and have used too small a number of participants to be conclusive. Supplementation of 200-400 mcg per day is most commonly used in these studies, however dosages as high as 1000 mcg have been used.

There are some health risks in taking too much chromium. Some people may experience headaches, sleep disturbances or mood changes, while severe intolerance can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and other GI upsets.

People who take chromium-containing herbs such as horsetail and cascara, may be at a higher risk for chromium toxicity.

Bottom line: At this point in time, the research done on chromium is somewhat contradictory and therefore inconclusive. It does seem unlikely that this supplement has any dramatic effect on weight loss. Because of the risk of toxicity, large doses and/or long term supplementation is not a good idea

As a certified nutritionist and registered dietitan for over 20 years, Sue is passionate about helping you become your healthiest ever! She provides completely confidential online nutrition counseling, wellness coaching and education services at Online nutrition counseling/coaching for weight loss, health and wellness .

Just think... right from the comfort of your own home you can get all the help you need to lose weight, gain weight, deal with compulsive overeating, or simply learn how to have a nutritionally-healthy lifestyle. Sue provides all the compassionate support and education necessary! Sign up for her monthly ezine and receive a free ebook, "Losing Weight with Dietary Supplements: Fact or Fiction?"

By: Sue Roberts

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Ronnie Coleman takes it, so it must be good. :icon16:

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
If you go back to the initial research released by the Dept. of Agriculture in the late 80s, the findings were that soils subjected to chemically-fertilized production had become seriously deficient in chromium, and other trace minerals. As a result, it was determined that eating a normally balanced diet must necessarily result in chronic chromium deficiencies.

It was further determined that tri-valent chromium was the most bio-available form known at the time. Controlled supplementation suggested that the addition of tri-valent chromium to the diets of deficient individuals would induce a spontaneous re-composition - largely due to more effective disposition of glucose.

Now: would any of this be true in someone who takes better-than-average care of themselves & their diet? Someone who eats better food? Takes a better multi-vitamin? Of course not. But if you're a dissatisfied couch-potato who needs some cheap 'n' easy results to to help motivate their butts off the couch, it can be just the thing. Temporarily.

I used to supplement chromium, but it's in my multi now, so I consider that good. I have no trouble taking in enough diet-independent chromium.