ALA / Chromium P. thoughts on Carb Backloading / IF

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Well,

Just finished reading Carb Backloading book and this kinda triggered this question; I've always kinda took ALA and Chromium before my meals (I am also on the very low carb approach, kinda Metabolic Diet like, less than 30g a day of non fiber carbs) but upon reading the book it kinda made me wonder if I'm actually sabotaging myself as there is seemingly very little insulin presence until I break fast and until I start consuming carbs after my workout.

Is it worth taking them while in low carb? Is it counter productive or does it help maintain low insulin and blood sugar while ketoish like? Should I completely scratch it from my diet or continuing this path is fine?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
This is a major issue with all GDAs. There is no evidence of the selectivity toward muscle vs fat cells. I would avoid them during the ULC portion of carb backloading. They may or may not be helpful during very low carb or fasted periods. However, Kiefer states that any modest increase in insulin during these times would shift us from a predominantly fat burning mode, to using carbs as our primary source. GDAs may have a similar effect.

Most of the manufactures reccomend taking before a high carb meal. In theory this would result in less insulin being produced. The question is, what is the benefit? Glucose will be clear either way (assuming a healthy trained individual). They may help improve overall insulin sensitivity, but then again a low carb dieter is already insulin sensitive.

Post exercise there IS a non-insulin method for glucose to prefentially being taken up by muscle cells. So I wonder if these products would cause more harm than good during this window. In other words, we would be introducing a non-selective mechanism during the only time where there actually is selectivity.

Of all the the uses, I think just before bed may be the best. The would help clear any remaining extra glucose and set up for a good night-time fast.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Interesting indeed; I may start only looking into taking these pre-bed then and see how exactly I react to the change.

Thanks for the input.

Drizzie88

Drizzie88

Awards
  • Established
Interesting indeed; I may start only looking into taking these pre-bed then and see how exactly I react to the change.

Thanks for the input.
The concept makes sense. Maybe I need to do more research on this. Thanks for the good info guys.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna aim to take it about ~2-3 hours after my carb filled meal post workout to stabilize for sleep time and see how I react

bj22

Awards
any updates on your progress with the bedtime protocol? i am following CBL and loving it so far. however, i am always looking for ways to optimize my diet. that, and i have a bunch of GDAs stockpiled from my pre-backloading days. it doesn't seem to make much sense to take them at any point before or during the backload, as mentioned above.

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
I love anabolic pump for back loading.

If you use chromium make sure its only it gtf Polynicotate form

bj22

Awards
I think conventional CBL wisdom is that GDAs, such as AP, are not to be used during a backload, as jerrysiii pointed out. I am interested to hear how you utilize AP and also the advantages you see with it. Thanks!

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
I think conventional CBL wisdom is that GDAs, such as AP, are not to be used during a backload, as jerrysiii pointed out. I am interested to hear how you utilize AP and also the advantages you see with it. Thanks!
I don't want to get into a whole insulin sensitivity/resistant & high vs low gi carb discussion because there's so many varying opinions.

But I can say I've tried just about every method to carb loading, carb back loading, carb cycling, low carb high carb, low gi / high gi...

My conclusion in regards to AP... my response to every form of carb loading / cycling / intake is so much better when using Anabolic Pump... FOR ME.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
This is a great approach when doing cardio first thing in the morning or training fasted.

These particular supplements you mention may help clear the bloodstream of circulating glucose and further improve fat burning during your fasted cardio/training session the following morning.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
R-ala has always worked wonders for me, thats all I can say.

Mike