Wife Has COVID-19

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do not believe any cytokines are routine bloodwork. Now you have my interest on what you were searching for.

And this is way above my pay grade for sure. I am in territory where it is fair to say I don't know what I am talking about.
CRP/ESR can give a glimpse into general inflammation. Ricky I would LOVE if you had a rough average of these if in the vaxxed/unvaxxed population.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Israel is about ready for shot 4. I guess this begs the question is it safe to just keep getting these mRNA shots over and over indefinitely. I have no idea but I can’t help but wonder.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My friend was ranting about her toddler’s daycare and how a few kids and teachers had tested positive. “It’s all the rich white people who are not following the mask/vaccine mandate.” 🤦🏻‍♀️

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My friend was ranting about her toddler’s daycare and how a few kids and teachers had tested positive. “It’s all the rich white people who are not following the mask/vaccine mandate.” 🤦🏻‍♀️
Saying things that are socially expedient, regardless of facts, is all the rage now.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
CRP/ESR can give a glimpse into general inflammation. Ricky I would LOVE if you had a rough average of these if in the vaxxed/unvaxxed population.
Good point, and maybe you know more than me on this. Actually, let me take that back - I am almost certain you know more than me on this. In the case of my friend, the doctors are chasing sepsis and looking for infection - in which case they would suggest that is causing the inflammation (although, despite trying, they have found no infection).

From what I have read,, one way to tell the difference between sepsis and a cytokine storm is by looking about IL-1b levels- and with that sentence I am going out beyond my level of actual knowledge that I grasp...but I take it that more specific tests could be useful in differential diagnosis.. I don't know?

Israel is about ready for shot 4. I guess this begs the question is it safe to just keep getting these mRNA shots over and over indefinitely. I have no idea but I can’t help but wonder.
It seems to be pretty well known that LPS (the lipid delivery system used in the vax) causes inflammation and macrophage activation, and can be used to induce cytokine storms. I don't know doses required so I cannot accurately assess danger. I mean, DNP will kill you fast but people use it for reasons much less important than avoiding a deadly infection.

I will say that I view the booster shots as a failure of the mRNA platform. In theory, the mRNA vax should create immune defense against the covid spike protein - not the virus itself - so if it is effective time it should be reasonably effective against other viruses using that same protein, meaning all covid-19 variants because if they mutate enough to not use that protein, they are no longer covid-19. But maybe I am naive or misunderstanding things here.

The tough part is, the people who need this the most are also the most at risk. A normally healthy person should be able to regulate cytokines appropriately, but someone with diabetes who really needs this vax may have a negative reaction, and if this is true and I am not a loony tune, some skepticism and monitoring would be helpful in these individuals. But most doctors in this political environment will probably risk losing their license if they go outside the box and blame a vaccine.

I thought it was the poor black people who were unable to obtain vaccinations?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do not believe any cytokines are routine bloodwork. Now you have my interest on what you were searching for.

And this is way above my pay grade for sure. I am in territory where it is fair to say I don't know what I am talking about.
Well, I didn’t have a single moment today to do any more personal research….it was a ridiculous day! I didn't even have time to count our current number of China virus positive patients, but a nurse told me at one point in the day we were up to 15.

Basically I was just looking at WBC totals as well as the breakdown to see if anything was out of range for vaccinated patients. Also, D-dimer (indicates potential blood clots/PE’s) as well as PTT, INR, platelets etc.. which impact coagulation. All was normal.
In these terms, CRP is not routinely tested unless a patient is specifically being ruled out for the China virus (not routine admission testing), and/or then trended for severity of infection. I did look at some of those results prior between positive vaccinated patients and unvaccinated patients, and both were elevated regardless. No apparent difference in response there. Honestly, I have never heard or seen any ESR bloodwork results being done on anyone for anything at my hospital 🤷‍♂️. That’s definitely a new one for me!

If Ivermectin turns out to be a more accepted therapy in whatever form, I think it would be best done under medical supervision and in a preparation intended for humans. I am not a fan of people taking veterinary preparations and just making it up as they go.

I didn’t have time to get further details, but as we were about to intubate our second China virus patient of the day, the anesthesiologist told those of us present about someone he was called about that was supposed to arrive in the ED. Apparently this person took it upon himself to take Ivermectin and also nebulize hydrogen peroxide (which is apparently a thing), to treat his China virus infection. Anesthesia was called because it was suspected that he would have to have an emergent tracheostomy performed upon arrival. He never got that far though and died.

People are doing some really stupid sh*t!

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I didn’t have time to get further details, but as we were about to intubate our second China virus patient of the day, the anesthesiologist told those of us present about someone he was called about that was supposed to arrive in the ED. Apparently this person took it upon himself to take Ivermectin and also nebulize hydrogen peroxide (which is apparently a thing), to treat his China virus infection. Anesthesia was called because it was suspected that he would have to have an emergent tracheostomy performed upon arrival. He never got that far though and died.

nebulized hydrogen peroxide is a real thing but I would hazard to guess they either didnt dilute it, or they didnt use food grade h202

Last edited:
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is why Tweets suck. What does that article have to do with Pfizer?

It is an interesting article about a computer model showing Ivermectin may potentially be an equal treatment to some other currently used drugs. The thing a lot of people do overlook about Ivermectin is that it is cheap and readily available - even in less developed countries. If it works, I would be a really good thing. But this is a computer model and it still may not work.

2 years ago everyone would be looking for human trials and strong evidence of what we used in our SUPPLEMENTS. Now, on both sides. People are taking vaccines and discussing mandating them for employment without human trials, and taking vet drugs that at least have some use in humans but are not proven to help...everyone is pushing their solution but really none of the solutions are proven or "great".

once the politics settle down, and science has a couple years of hindsight,, I have a feeling we will be doing things much differently and neither side will have been truly "right".

That rant isn't directed at anyone, just got triggered :)

Well, I didn’t have a single moment today to do any more personal research….it was a ridiculous day! I didn't even have time to count our current number of China virus positive patients, but a nurse told me at one point in the day we were up to 15.

Basically I was just looking at WBC totals as well as the breakdown to see if anything was out of range for vaccinated patients. Also, D-dimer (indicates potential blood clots/PE’s) as well as PTT, INR, platelets etc.. which impact coagulation. All was normal.

In these terms, CRP is not routinely tested unless a patient is specifically being ruled out for the China virus (not routine admission testing), and/or then trended for severity of infection. I did look at some of those results prior between positive vaccinated patients and unvaccinated patients, and both were elevated regardless. No apparent difference in response there. Honestly, I have never heard or seen any ESR bloodwork results being done on anyone for anything at my hospital 🤷‍♂️. That’s definitely a new one for me!

If Ivermectin turns out to be a more accepted therapy in whatever form, I think it would be best done under medical supervision and in a preparation intended for humans. I am not a fan of people taking veterinary preparations and just making it up as they go.

Come on man. What were you doing today that was more important than researching for us? It's not like you are dealing with life and death at work...oh, wait. Yeah. Yeah. Nevermind.

I agree on the admin of Ivermectin. Ideally it would be under supervision. Self administration, even for a trained professional, is less than ideal. But people do desperate things in desperate times. We all want the "experts" to have answers and the truth is, this is a relatively novel situation even now, and answers don't just appear magically. At least not good answers.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

It is an interesting article about a computer model showing Ivermectin may potentially be an equal treatment to some other currently used drugs. The thing a lot of people do overlook about Ivermectin is that it is cheap and readily available - even in less developed countries. If it works, I would be a really good thing. But this is a computer model and it still may not work.

2 years ago everyone would be looking for human trials and strong evidence of what we used in our SUPPLEMENTS. Now, on both sides. People are taking vaccines and discussing mandating them for employment without human trials, and taking vet drugs that at least have some use in humans but are not proven to help...everyone is pushing their solution but really none of the solutions are proven or "great".

once the politics settle down, and science has a couple years of hindsight,, I have a feeling we will be doing things much differently and neither side will have been truly "right".

Come on man. What were you doing today that was more important than researching for us? It's not like you are dealing with life and death at work...oh, wait. Yeah. Yeah. Nevermind.

I agree on the admin of Ivermectin. Ideally it would be under supervision. Self administration, even for a trained professional, is less than ideal. But people do desperate things in desperate times. We all want the "experts" to have answers and the truth is, this is a relatively novel situation even now, and answers don't just appear magically. At least not good answers.

They're drawing a connection between IVM and what Pfizer may or may not be doing:

Pfizer doesn't specifically say anything about IVM of course, it's someone connecting dots (tin foil hat stuff)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

'once the politics settle down'

i think it would take intervention by extraterrestrials to unite the political division in this country

imo, the government [if not responsible for] has benefited greatly by this divide

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
'once the politics settle down'

i think it would take intervention by extraterrestrials to unite the political division in this country

imo, the government [if not responsible for] has benefited greatly by this divide
Well it’s certainly not our fault everyone doesn’t think like us!

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
nebulized hydrogen peroxide is a real thing but I would hazard to guess they either didnt dilute it, or they didnt use food grade h202
I don’t think I would be very excited to even take a properly prepared hydrogen peroxide nebulizer. As an oxidizing agent it is quite indiscriminate in terms of what it destroys. That just doesn’t sit well with me. But I guess there are people out there doing it 🤷‍♂️

At this stage in the game, if I were to come down with a symptomatic case of the China virus as a vaccinated or non-vaccinated person, I would skip all the foofy sh*t and look to get a monoclonal antibody infusion and possibly dexamethasone as outpatient therapy. Also throw in some of the vitamins and supplements we have all heard to be helpful and just hope for the best!

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ughh! We are rippin busy at work, so I am going back in tonight as extra help from 11P-7A. All extra shifts have been $20 extra per hour for months, and it’s still hard to get people to come in for extra help. I broke down tonight as I haven’t done one for quite some time.

As long as the China virus is around, they won’t be able to get anyone to come in to work extra hours for anything less than $20 extra per hour. None of us want to be in that vortex of bullsh*t any more than we have to. I will probably end up regretting this tonight as well.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
wife is the same kinda boat.. they are looking to make her floor the covid floor, moving it from its existing local. they are begging people to work but yet they are having a hard time hiring anyone. they (nurses) dont want the vax and its mandated here FFS.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
wife is the same kinda boat.. they are looking to make her floor the covid floor, moving it from its existing local. they are begging people to work but yet they are having a hard time hiring anyone. they (nurses) dont want the vax and its mandated here FFS.
Same here in terms of the mandates and lack of help, though I get the impression we will not lose many from the mandate itself. We have had 3 full time RT positions open for 6 months without a single applicant. People are however signing up for per diem positions because they offer a far better hourly rate. Then you have people taking traveling positions for crazy amounts of money. It’s getting much harder for the hospitals to retain any sort of permanent staff without pay that reflects all we have to go through with the virus.

We were talking to a nurse yesterday that used to work on a floor that has a mix of stable China virus patients and regular patients. We saw her on a floor that is strictly non-COVID and asked her what happened. She said “I knew it was time to get off that floor when I found myself driving in to work and preying that I would get in a fatal car accident.”

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Same here in terms of the mandates and lack of help, though I get the impression we will not lose many from the mandate itself. We have had 3 full time RT positions open for 6 months without a single applicant. People are however signing up for per diem positions because they offer a far better hourly rate. Then you have people taking traveling positions for crazy amounts of money. It’s getting much harder for the hospitals to retain any sort of permanent staff without pay that reflects all we have to go through with the virus.

We were talking to a nurse yesterday that used to work on a floor that has a mix of stable China virus patients and regular patients. We saw her on a floor that is strictly non-COVID and asked her what happened. She said “I knew it was time to get off that floor when I found myself driving in to work and preying that I would get in a fatal car accident.”

years ago my wife and i were friends with a nurse who worked at pediatric cancer and blood disease dept at riley childrens hospital in indy...

she considered it a HONOR to do what so few wanted to do yet needed to be done!!!

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
years ago my wife and i were friends with a nurse who worked at pediatric cancer and blood disease dept at riley childrens hospital in indy...

she considered it a HONOR to do what so few wanted to do yet needed to be done!!!
That is honorable indeed. There are still very brief moments when I have time to enjoy some significant moments with COVID patients. I just had one yesterday when a patient was on the brink of being intubated. Anesthesia was waiting outside the door ready to go and the conversation with the pulmonologist had already taken place. I brought a ventilator in the room and was getting it set up.

We more or less got in to the conversation of do I think he was making the right choice given the options he was presented by the pulmonologist and choosing to be placed on a ventilator. Honestly, I didn’t think so and I started successfully weaning his oxygen from 70% to 60%. This was my plan all day but none of us could get to him all morning or early afternoon to even try it. He’s a very nice and talkative guy but I had to tell him to stop talking so I could truly assess his oxygen needs. Ultimately he ended up not being intubated/ventilated due to what commenced between him and myself.

So that was a good moment! The rest of the time it feels like your in a sauna wearing a bunny suit while being hooked up to a continuous taser. Meanwhile your trying to care for endless patients while you pager goes off relentlessly as well as your mobile phone. And that’s on a good day! Why did I agree to go in tonight?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That is honorable indeed. There are still very brief moments when I have time to enjoy some significant moments with COVID patients. I just had one yesterday when a patient was on the brink of being intubated. Anesthesia was waiting outside the door ready to go and the conversation with the pulmonologist had already taken place. I brought a ventilator in the room and was getting it set up.

We more or less got in to the conversation of do I think he was making the right choice given the options he was presented by the pulmonologist and choosing to be placed on a ventilator. Honestly, I didn’t think so and I started successfully weaning his oxygen from 70% to 60%. This was my plan all day but none of us could get to him all morning or early afternoon to even try it. He’s a very nice and talkative guy but I had to tell him to stop talking so I could truly assess his oxygen needs. Ultimately he ended up not being intubated/ventilated due to what commenced between him and myself.

So that was a good moment! The rest of the time it feels like your in a sauna wearing a bunny suit while being hooked up to a continuous taser. Meanwhile your trying to care for endless patients while you pager goes off relentlessly as well as your mobile phone. And that’s on a good day! Why did I agree to go in tonight?
i remember her telling us that 8 out of 10 of her patients died while in her care at riley childrens hospital-average age was 13.

we were in awe of her..and when we asked her how she did it she would look at us like we were stupid and say someone needs to care for them...she honestly thought of it as a honor to care for dying children. one of the most admirable people i have ever met.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
99.1% survival rate without vaccine, 99 1% survival rate with vaccine. Of course those are all age and health levels combined. Old or underlying health conditions you should take the vaccine, 50 and younger with no health issues there is no reason to get the vaccine. This is all science. Under 12 have .0005% percent chance of dieing if healthy.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
99.1% survival rate without vaccine, 99 1% survival rate with vaccine. Of course those are all age and health levels combined. Old or underlying health conditions you should take the vaccine, 50 and younger with no health issues there is no reason to get the vaccine. This is all science. Under 12 have .0005% percent chance of dieing if healthy.
i just checked to be sure---fully vaccinated people can still spread virus.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i remember her telling us that 8 out of 10 of her patients died while in her care at riley childrens hospital-average age was 13.

we were in awe of her..and when we asked her how she did it she would look at us like we were stupid and say someone needs to care for them...she honestly thought of it as a honor to care for dying children. one of the most admirable people i have ever met.
As much as I think all lives are valuable, of course that would be extra sad. You do build up a tolerance to things though that most people see as unnatural. Going in to RRT school, I was very afraid I wouldn’t be able to handle the things I would see. Nothing has really been an issue for me though until I saw what China virus patients go through. The nice ones I mean..

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
As much as I think all lives are valuable, of course that would be extra sad. You do build up a tolerance to things though that most people see as unnatural. Going in to RRT school, I was very afraid I wouldn’t be able to handle the things I would see. Nothing has really been an issue for me though until I saw what China virus patients go through. The nice ones I mean..
imagine that you have 10 children as patients and you know that 8 of them are going to die---average age 13

now repeat this over and over again--imagine having dozens of children under your care die every year...what a amazing person it takes to do this!!!!

i tear up watching st judes and shriners hospital commercials---st judes is my wife and i's favorite charity---GOD BLESS the children.

ok, i'm done....

Last edited:
puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t get the glad part. I think people shouldn’t be obese in most cases, but I would never have a “good for them” attitude if they got Type 2 or heart issues.

I just can’t relate to that type of behavior. Can’t decide if it’s unethical, immoral, both? I don’t know.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don’t get the glad part. I think people shouldn’t be obese in most cases, but I would never have a “good for them” attitude if they got Type 2 or heart issues.

I just can’t relate to that type of behavior. Can’t decide if it’s unethical, immoral, both? I don’t know.
both gets my vote.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I didn't want to get too cocky until I knew for sure we were past the window but my wife's entire office went down with COVID in the past couple weeks, except... Her. She and I of course had COVID last winter and were fine, still are. I told her this was our antibodies getting the booster.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I didn't want to get too cocky until I knew for sure we were past the window but my wife's entire office went down with COVID in the past couple weeks, except... Her. She and I of course had COVID last winter and were fine, still are. I told her this was our antibodies getting the booster.
Lots of people at my work have been getting it. I did get weird sick when this started but have no idea if Covid. Would love an anti body test. If I didn’t I kinda wish I did to not worry about it.

Happy for you guys having that immunity life

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lots of people at my work have been getting it. I did get weird sick when this started but have no idea if Covid. Would love an anti body test. If I didn’t I kinda wish I did to not worry about it.

Happy for you guys having that immunity life
after a year and a half of this garbage I just usually wait to see if someone loses their taste or smell. That is the most bizarre symptom I have ever experienced in my life and just reeks of human engineered bio weapon. I know it doesn't happen to everyone but it seems to be the most common denominator I have seen with everyone I know who has had the 'rona.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
after a year and a half of this garbage I just usually wait to see if someone loses their taste or smell. That is the most bizarre symptom I have ever experienced in my life and just reeks of human engineered bio weapon. I know it doesn't happen to everyone but it seems to be the most common denominator I have seen with everyone I know who has had the 'rona.
That’s why I’m doubtful I had it. I just had a sinus infection that was different from every sinus infection I’ve ever had(get them yearly). Could just be I’m getting old lol

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That’s why I’m doubtful I had it. I just had a sinus infection that was different from every sinus infection I’ve ever had(get them yearly). Could just be I’m getting old lol
Throughout 2020 so many people thought (and with good reason) that they had already had the Rona prior to that first case in January. I know I thought for sure my buddy did, but after a year of watching it unfold, and finally getting it myself and seeing how contagious it is, I don't think most people who think they had it, actually did.

It spreads like wildfire.

If one person in the office has it, ten likely will.

Despite having no interest in the vax, and feeling like the virus isn't that big of a deal for your average person WHO TAKES CARE OF THEMSELF one thing I cannot deny is that it does spread easy.

So easily in fact that when I see that weird husband wife combo where one has it and one doesn't, my mind is blown. Makes no sense to me. That is the outlier IMO.

Still, no fear in my mind but I do feel like it spreads quicker than regular colds.

Early fauci emails suggested it was a bioweapon mixed with a fungus of some sort to make it "stickier" I'd believe that.

I'd also believe that our contagious window is likely before symptoms get bad enough to decide you shouldn't get to work.

99% of the people I know who have had it (and it feels like ground zero here in WA at times) had basically a cold, then a fever for a day, then loss of taste and smell as all other symptoms recovered. Followed by a couple days or weeks of generalized fatigue and brain fog as smell and taste return.

Very generalized, I know, and I mean no disrespect to anyone but that has been a very common process I've seen.

Which aside from taste and smell is extremely similar to flu stuff. You go down hard for a couple days, lose a few lbs, then take a week or two to feel back to your normal self.

Again, IMO

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm having trouble understanding something. The vaccines didn't really come out until March, correct? So, nurses, doctors, and the rest of the medical staff saw and dealt with this virus everyday for a year before that. Were nurses/doctors/etc dropping like flies while wearing masks? Supposedly? Covid is airborne now, so masks shouldn't work. Or, it's not as transmissable as claimed. Or, it really does target certain people only. What am I missing? New York got jacked up. Ridiculous amounts of death there. But, where's all the dead nurses and doctors?

@Ricky10 You're a nurse, correct? Did the entire hospital you work in get covid? Or, only a small percentage?

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not everyone gets it, but losing taste and spell isnt all that uncommon in upper respiratory infections/sinus infection. Happened to me routinely during allergy season. While I agree I think this was man made, not for that reason.
Throughout 2020 so many people thought (and with good reason) that they had already had the Rona prior to that first case in January. I know I thought for sure my buddy did, but after a year of watching it unfold, and finally getting it myself and seeing how contagious it is, I don't think most people who think they had it, actually did.

It spreads like wildfire.

If one person in the office has it, ten likely will.

Despite having no interest in the vax, and feeling like the virus isn't that big of a deal for your average person WHO TAKES CARE OF THEMSELF one thing I cannot deny is that it does spread easy.

So easily in fact that when I see that weird husband wife combo where one has it and one doesn't, my mind is blown. Makes no sense to me. That is the outlier IMO.

Still, no fear in my mind but I do feel like it spreads quicker than regular colds.

Early fauci emails suggested it was a bioweapon mixed with a fungus of some sort to make it "stickier" I'd believe that.

I'd also believe that our contagious window is likely before symptoms get bad enough to decide you shouldn't get to work.

99% of the people I know who have had it (and it feels like ground zero here in WA at times) had basically a cold, then a fever for a day, then loss of taste and smell as all other symptoms recovered. Followed by a couple days or weeks of generalized fatigue and brain fog as smell and taste return.

Very generalized, I know, and I mean no disrespect to anyone but that has been a very common process I've seen.

Which aside from taste and smell is extremely similar to flu stuff. You go down hard for a couple days, lose a few lbs, then take a week or two to feel back to your normal self.

Again, IMO
I'm having trouble understanding something. The vaccines didn't really come out until March, correct? So, nurses, doctors, and the rest of the medical staff saw and dealt with this virus everyday for a year before that. Were nurses/doctors/etc dropping like flies while wearing masks? Supposedly? Covid is airborne now, so masks shouldn't work. Or, it's not as transmissable as claimed. Or, it really does target certain people only. What am I missing? New York got jacked up. Ridiculous amounts of death there. But, where's all the dead nurses and doctors?

@Ricky10 You're a nurse, correct? Did the entire hospital you work in get covid? Or, only a small percentage?
THIS particular variant is the one that spreads like wild fire. The alpha variant which started this all was nowhere near as contagious. When I had covid back in December, my gf was with me the evening I developed symptoms. Also the next day, I was in thr car with my son to take him to the doctor. He nor her ever got it.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not everyone gets it, but losing taste and spell isnt all that uncommon in upper respiratory infections/sinus infection. Happened to me routinely during allergy season. While I agree I think this was man made, not for that reason. THIS particular variant is the one that spreads like wild fire. The alpha variant which started this all was nowhere near as contagious. When I had covid back in December, my gf was with me the evening I developed symptoms. Also the next day, I was in thr car with my son to take him to the doctor. He nor her ever got it.
I disagree with the taste/smell statement. There is a major difference between reduced taste smell from congested nose, compared to the loss(like gone) anosmia that occurs with covid. I’ve experienced both and the covid loss was eerie. The first time I noticed it was because I inadvertently drastically over salted my food trying to taste it...I actually felt the salt burning the inside of my mouth without any taste. Is trippy and really does take the fun out of food. Also Md’s have told me that it’s very unique to Covid.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I disagree with the taste/smell statement. There is a major difference between reduced taste smell from congested nose, compared to the loss(like gone) anosmia that occurs with covid. I’ve experienced both and the covid loss was eerie. The first time I noticed it was because I inadvertently drastically over salted my food trying to taste it...I actually felt the salt burning the inside of my mouth without any taste. Is trippy and really does take the fun out of food. Also Md’s have told me that it’s very unique to Covid.
Im only speaking from my own experience. Sinus rinses, neti pot, steam inhalation, nothing would work to bring my semse of smell back. Has been happening to me for years which is why I wasnt aware I had covid when I did

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've never in my life experienced loss of taste and smell like this while fully maintaining full nasal capacity and feeling otherwise great. Everyone else that I know (admittedly a very small percentage of the millions of covid positive folks) all said the same thing.

My wife did say yes, she has maybe had diminished taste or smell from previous colds etc but then agreed that it was never anything compared to covid.

Dipping fabric softener on my nose and being able to smell nothing but "air".... That was bizarre.

Checked my armpits a dozen times a day and took an extra shower just in case

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im only speaking from my own experience. Sinus rinses, neti pot, steam inhalation, nothing would work to bring my semse of smell back. Has been happening to me for years which is why I wasnt aware I had covid when I did
Yeah I get 1-2 sinus infections a year also. Hate those damn things. Any tricks?

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've never in my life experienced loss of taste and smell like this while fully maintaining full nasal capacity and feeling otherwise great. Everyone else that I know (admittedly a very small percentage of the millions of covid positive folks) all said the same thing.

My wife did say yes, she has maybe had diminished taste or smell from previous colds etc but then agreed that it was never anything compared to covid.

Dipping fabric softener on my nose and being able to smell nothing but "air".... That was bizarre.

Checked my armpits a dozen times a day and took an extra shower just in case
A quick search online with some will show that it is a symptom of people who suffer from chronic sinusitis.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I get 1-2 sinus infections a year also. Hate those damn things. Any tricks?
Honestly the ONLY thing that has helped me has been using infused water in my neti pot. I fine dice a clove of organic garlic, and then let it sit for an hour. I pour a cup of hot water over it, then mix it with the included saline pack that comes with the neti pot. I add 2 drops of Lugol's Iodine, and 3 to 4 drops of oregano oil. Use that twice a day and within 48-72 hours, it clears up.

I usually make a big batch of the rinse so all I have to do is reheat the liquid. It doesn't have to be heated but warm water feels a lot better than cold water going through your nose

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are a number of diseases/sickness that cause a loss of taste and smell. Even the common cold can do it. We can say that it is rare in the common cold, or that it is less pronounced - but wouldn't that be to be expected?

Also, the fact Fauci suggested it was a bioweapom early on is the best evidence I have seen it isn't man made. That guy is an idiot who is wrong about almost everything and that was even worse when he was postulating on things no one had any real evidence of.

Having said that...I am just bashing Fauci. Even if not "man made" I think it was mishandled in a lab and people are at fault.

I do find it funny you argue that anosmia is unique to covid-19 (less than 2 years old) while using a long-standing term specifically describing the symptoms. :)

I have almost no sense of smell...so I wouldn't notice haha. But loss of taste would suck.

There is no magic here I don't think. My buddy is a doctor and he had a very specific protocol for protection. Early on they were basically wearing hazmat suits. Beyond the masks though, they also tend to be careful about hand washing and gloves and the general spread of infection.

But the real irony is people like Fauci acting like doctors know so much and medical professionals are infallible, while telling everyone to wash their hands. Ignaz Samelweis irony is the best.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I am a respiratory therapist…

The vaccines were available starting in December for us, so we dealt with this in the hospital environment for about 10 months prior to that. We were, and still are in full PPE (N95 and face shield etc) with every patient until test results come back as negative. If they come back positive, full precautions were/are obviously continued.

So in theory, we were always well protected despite their being some false negatives or other oopsies. We only had a handful of healthcare workers become positive (knowingly) and we never had an “outbreak” until this past month when the CDC required us to do routine testing and found 8 or 9 positives that were asymptomatic.

When we are around one another or In the halls at work, we are just wearing surgical masks. Behind closed doors within our own RT department, most of us just take off our masks.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha! Apparently your friend fails to realize these kids are obviously spreading it amongst themselves regardless of what their parents are doing.
It’s kinda funny to me because she was anti vax until a month ago.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am a respiratory therapist…

The vaccines were available starting in December for us, so we dealt with this in the hospital environment for about 10 months prior to that. We were, and still are in full PPE (N95 and face shield etc) with every patient until test results come back as negative. If they come back positive, full precautions were/are obviously continued.

So in theory, we were always well protected despite their being some false negatives or other oopsies. We only had a handful of healthcare workers become positive (knowingly) and we never had an “outbreak” until this past month when the CDC required us to do routine testing and found 8 or 9 positives that were asymptomatic.

When we are around one another or In the halls at work, we are just wearing surgical masks. Behind closed doors within our own RT department, most of us just take off our masks.
I've had to get all of my family tested a few times, and the nurses and such we've been encountering aren't doing anything except a mask occasionally with a face shield as well (other then normal precautions that were always in place like handwashing). They certainly aren't wearing entire hazmat/MOP-4 gear. That's what I mean. They're not dropping like flies. Either they're just super lucky, super healthy, simple masks work, or it's not as contagious to everyone? I don't know, it's just not adding up.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There are a number of diseases/sickness that cause a loss of taste and smell. Even the common cold can do it. We can say that it is rare in the common cold, or that it is less pronounced - but wouldn't that be to be expected?

Also, the fact Fauci suggested it was a bioweapom early on is the best evidence I have seen it isn't man made. That guy is an idiot who is wrong about almost everything and that was even worse when he was postulating on things no one had any real evidence of.

Having said that...I am just bashing Fauci. Even if not "man made" I think it was mishandled in a lab and people are at fault.
IDK, maybe you're right. I don't recall Fauci suggesting it was a bio weapon openly, I just remember a lot of talk about how a guy ate a bat and the whole world got sick. What I read was the released emails from scientists that told him early on their research made them feel strongly that this was a bioweapon and those emails not being released for many months.

Again, my sampling is small when compared to the whole world population, but have you had the COVID? Reason I ask is because everyone I have discussed it with agreed that there was a distinct difference in the taste/smell experience with 'rona vs anything they've ever seen before.

Your mouth goes numb sorta, is bizarre. Your ability to breath and "smell" can be 100% perfect. the loss of smell isn't related to congestion or anything like that, the nasal is fully opened up yet it's just empty scentless air coming in. It's really odd.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
IDK, maybe you're right. I don't recall Fauci suggesting it was a bio weapon openly, I just remember a lot of talk about how a guy ate a bat and the whole world got sick. What I read was the released emails from scientists that told him early on their research made them feel strongly that this was a bioweapon and those emails not being released for many months.

Again, my sampling is small when compared to the whole world population, but have you had the COVID? Reason I ask is because everyone I have discussed it with agreed that there was a distinct difference in the taste/smell experience with 'rona vs anything they've ever seen before.

Your mouth goes numb sorta, is bizarre. Your ability to breath and "smell" can be 100% perfect. the loss of smell isn't related to congestion or anything like that, the nasal is fully opened up yet it's just empty scentless air coming in. It's really odd.
That's what my wife experienced too. It's been gone for a month and now finally coming back slowly.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That's what my wife experienced too. It's been gone for a month and now finally coming back slowly.
my taste was only gone for a few hours. Coincidentally it was the night I tested positive that it went away, but came back I believe by the next evening. Smell left that next day and was gone about a week or two.

Seems like everyone that has that experience goes through it just a little differently. either it kicks in later, or lasts longer, etc.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

When I have a sinus infection/or severe allergies going on, I use combo Afrim/behind the counter Sudafed. Can breathe all the way to my brain stem.......but still can't smell a thing. Anosmia is extremely common